As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost more than you expect

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Thread title is inaccurate. Current problem is costing me no money because I can't find anyone to fix it.

My basement egress window well is filling with water when it rains. That water is of course then leaking through the window, soaking the insulation, and spreading across the floor (basement is unfinished, thankfully). No one will fix it for me. I can find tons of places that list everything it might need on their website, but none will actually come out and fix the problem.

I've probably got a bad seal between the egress retaining wall and the foundation (water fills it way faster than it's raining, so it's leaking in from somewhere), but it could also be related to clogged drain tile, my sump pump not working hard enough, etc. And all I can find anyone willing to do is come dry out/replace the insulation. Oh, and my insurance company hasn't called me back (if they'll even cover a ground water problem).

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »
    Thread title is inaccurate. Current problem is costing me no money because I can't find anyone to fix it.

My basement egress window well is filling with water when it rains. That water is of course then leaking through the window, soaking the insulation, and spreading across the floor (basement is unfinished, thankfully). No one will fix it for me. I can find tons of places that list everything it might need on their website, but none will actually come out and fix the problem.

I've probably got a bad seal between the egress retaining wall and the foundation (water fills it way faster than it's raining, so it's leaking in from somewhere), but it could also be related to clogged drain tile, my sump pump not working hard enough, etc. And all I can find anyone willing to do is come dry out/replace the insulation. Oh, and my insurance company hasn't called me back (if they'll even cover a ground water problem).

Is the rain basically overflowing the window track and coming in that way? We had this problem a while back. It was scary because the track would overflow in a matter of minutes, and no amount of towel stuffing or duct tape or duct tape fashioned into a trough to hopefully divert the rain from hitting the track... none of it did anything but delay the inevitable.

We found a general handyman who did windows, and his solution was dead simple: Drill a hole on the outside track on each side, so that when that track filled up with water, it would just drain out the holes.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Have you tried a service like Thumbtack? I’ve managed to get every job I needed done filled through them.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Finally bit the bullet and hired someone to take care of the yard/hedges. They just did their first time and holy shit this looks amazing. They cleaned out all extra leaves from the mulch, trimmed the trees, and just... Wow.

I knew/asked them to take out one tree that was dead (I'd been trimming the branches out slowly because the bin can only hold so much) but he actually took out what was left of an old tree which was left when we even bought the place.

I feel like a lazy ass to be paying someone to do this, but he did such a better job than I do.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Finally bit the bullet and hired someone to take care of the yard/hedges. They just did their first time and holy shit this looks amazing. They cleaned out all extra leaves from the mulch, trimmed the trees, and just... Wow.

I knew/asked them to take out one tree that was dead (I'd been trimming the branches out slowly because the bin can only hold so much) but he actually took out what was left of an old tree which was left when we even bought the place.

I feel like a lazy ass to be paying someone to do this, but he did such a better job than I do.

This was a big thing for me.

And you're contributing to the economy! CAPITALISM HO!

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    My neighbor cuts my grass. He owns a zero turn. It takes two minutes. I love him.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I've said it probably a half dozen times in this thread. We've been in this house 6 years and I've never cut the lawn once. Best money I've spent on this place.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    Another day of looking at condos.

The current front runner is in a good spot, really nice inside with new floors and nice counters/appliances/storage, and a private garage.

It's only 650 square feet though. I'd need to get on that tiny house lifestyle.

The house I'm moving out of is 800sqft. Plenty comfy for 2 people and our 2 dogs. That space goes further than you'd think!

For real. My 2 bed townhome is just shy of 1000 sqft and it really feels like too much for one person. I'm really glad I didn't buy a 3 bed place.

I'm currently renting a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house with a garage because it was my first place after finally getting a decent-paying job. Sat down and worked it out and I could easily live in a 700-800 square foot place with no loss of space I actually use. And that would be without a garage, while still including enough space for an art studio area.

I wish I'd known beforehand just how absurd it is to have 1400 square feet for one person (seriously, I have three rooms that basically go unused). Could've saved a pile of money without any loss of comfort or convenience.

650 feet with a garage is plenty of space for one person with even just a little planning put into it, provided your hobby isn't hand-carved canoes or something like that.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

The current front runner is in a good spot, really nice inside with new floors and nice counters/appliances/storage, and a private garage.

The house I'm moving out of is 800sqft. Plenty comfy for 2 people and our 2 dogs. That space goes further than you'd think!

For real. My 2 bed townhome is just shy of 1000 sqft and it really feels like too much for one person. I'm really glad I didn't buy a 3 bed place.

I'm currently renting a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house with a garage because it was my first place after finally getting a decent-paying job. Sat down and worked it out and I could easily live in a 700-800 square foot place with no loss of space I actually use. And that would be without a garage, while still including enough space for an art studio area.

I wish I'd known beforehand just how absurd it is to have 1400 square feet for one person (seriously, I have three rooms that basically go unused). Could've saved a pile of money without any loss of comfort or convenience.

650 feet with a garage is plenty of space for one person with even just a little planning put into it, provided your hobby isn't hand-carved canoes or something like that.

Rent out the other rooms to roommates? That's basically my future plan.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Oh god closing is next week.

That's so bizarre. It's so close.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Rent out the other rooms to roommates? That's basically my future plan.

No, I don't have a large enough freezer to keep them bodies in. Which is definitely a joke, but not the part about how I vehemently hate sharing a living space with virtually anybody. Every roommate experience I've ever had has been horrible, it's not even a consideration.

And the lease runs out in a couple months, so it won't be a problem for much longer. It hasn't been a total waste, living in such an oversized place has done a great job in showing me how little I need to make a space I want to live in.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    The home buying process is stupid. Apparently pre-approved for a loan does not mean you can get a loan, so we can't buy anything for the house because we still don't know we'll get it.
    I get that it has to be inspected and appraised and whatnot, but thought the loan part would at least be dialed in. But no, since I work temp gigs (with no gaps in the last 2 years) only one mortgage company would touch me and they're on the fence. Also, they're kinda assholes - they sent us a notice saying "We will demand paperwork from you and will cancel your application if you take more than 24 hours to get it to us, if this is a problem go somewhere else."
    Now they want written documentation that I'm a remote worker. How do I document that? There's no form, it's not in my employment contract, all I have is the job offer that says "100% Remote Position".
    Poor owners have been trying to sell this place all year and have come down over 50k from their initial asking. I'm gonna feel like trash if the offer falls through because I got a sweet job.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    "pre-approval" is basically just "My calculator tools here show you should be ok". It's a check against unrealistic expectations for your budget.

No actual loan stuff happens until you go through the actual specific borrowing process and that requires an actual asset to be in play.

It certainly sucks to have to prove to everyone else what you "know" about your job and finances but they don't care.

Do you have a mortgage broker to help get what you need for the lender?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Non traditional jobs and finances really do fuck with things like houses. Local companies and credit unions tend to do it better but you're basically not going to get an FHA loan and you've got to put down 20% to even get anyone to pay attention to you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Madpoet wrote: »
    The home buying process is stupid. Apparently pre-approved for a loan does not mean you can get a loan, so we can't buy anything for the house because we still don't know we'll get it.
    I get that it has to be inspected and appraised and whatnot, but thought the loan part would at least be dialed in. But no, since I work temp gigs (with no gaps in the last 2 years) only one mortgage company would touch me and they're on the fence. Also, they're kinda assholes - they sent us a notice saying "We will demand paperwork from you and will cancel your application if you take more than 24 hours to get it to us, if this is a problem go somewhere else."
    Now they want written documentation that I'm a remote worker. How do I document that? There's no form, it's not in my employment contract, all I have is the job offer that says "100% Remote Position".
    Poor owners have been trying to sell this place all year and have come down over 50k from their initial asking. I'm gonna feel like trash if the offer falls through because I got a sweet job.

Do you have a W-2 or equivalent tax form you can show them? That would show your employer and that you're being paid, so...

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Do you have a mortgage broker to help get what you need for the lender?
    Yes, we're going through a broker - rate they got us was the same as what our credit union offered, but they're doing a ton of legwork for us, so worth it.
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Do you have a W-2 or equivalent tax form you can show them? That would show your employer and that you're being paid, so...
    I've sent them two months of pay stubs, two years of 1040s and W2s, and given permission to pull my forms directly from the IRS for as far back as they'd like.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Without at least 2 to 4 years of steady employment with a single employer, a lot of mortgage companies are going to balk and either decline to lend to you, demand way more documentation (bank statements going back 4 years, rental agreements, etc), or minimize the amount they'll lend (requiring you to make a larger down payment).

They get real jumpy about anything other than a steady, longterm full time single job situation. Even things like a larger than normal deposit in a bank account will get them worked up and demanding more documentation.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    even if you tell them you're going to be depositing more than normal, sign a letter they told you to make saying you're doing it explaining what is happening, they can still jump all the way up your ass, as that happened to me last week.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    even if you tell them you're going to be depositing more than normal, sign a letter they told you to make saying you're doing it explaining what is happening, they can still jump all the way up your ass, as that happened to me last week.

Bank: WHERE DID THIS $10,000 COME FROM WTF?!!?
    Us: From our savings account, where it had been built up over the last 4 years. Hence the matching $10,000 withdrawal.
    Bank: WE NEED PROOOOOOOOOOOF! PAPERWORK! DOCUMENTATION! WHY DIDNT YOU TELL US IN ADVANCE?!
    Us: We did. You told us it was fine.
    Bank: WE WOULD NEVER SAY THAT!! DOCUMENTATION NOWWWWW!

• Options

Bank: WHERE DID THIS $10,000 COME FROM WTF?!!?
    Us: From our savings account, where it had been built up over the last 4 years. Hence the matching $10,000 withdrawal.
    Bank: WE NEED PROOOOOOOOOOOF! PAPERWORK! DOCUMENTATION! WHY DIDNT YOU TELL US IN ADVANCE?!
    Us: We did. You told us it was fine.
    Bank: WE WOULD NEVER SAY THAT!! DOCUMENTATION NOWWWWW!

"IT'S DRUGS ISN'T IT?"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Even having had the same job for 4 years before I bought the house, my broker ran my finances through the ringer. I had to give him bank statement, W2s, tax returns, the works. We spent a solid month just going back and forth filling out papers and pulling financials. This dude was monitoring my balances month by month too.

I was smart though and had done my annual credit report right before starting the process. Turns out there were a couple of sub $50 items that I needed to take care of from years past. It felt good going into the first meeting after the hard pull with 2 letters saying those debts were taken care of.

• Options
    Also, the mortgage was with the same bank where our checking and savings accounts resided.

Which I also worked at.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Let's not be silly. The banks only ask for documentation in case they are audited. They want to lend you money but the government is making sure they are less assholes about covering the loan than in 2008.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Let's not be silly. The banks only ask for documentation in case they are audited. They want to lend you money but the government is making sure they are less assholes about covering the loan than in 2008.

i gave it to them. signed letter with deposit slips and cleared statements and stuff which is exactly what they asked for.

and then 2 days later HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THIS.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

i gave it to them. signed letter with deposit slips and cleared statements and stuff which is exactly what they asked for.

and then 2 days later HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THIS.

Some of it is probably every person involved at the bank applying liberal CYA before signing off, because house money is a lot of money.

But there is such a thing as too much CYA.

• Options

Without at least 2 to 4 years of steady employment with a single employer, a lot of mortgage companies are going to balk and either decline to lend to you, demand way more documentation (bank statements going back 4 years, rental agreements, etc), or minimize the amount they'll lend (requiring you to make a larger down payment).

They get real jumpy about anything other than a steady, longterm full time single job situation. Even things like a larger than normal deposit in a bank account will get them worked up and demanding more documentation.

Yeah, I think I let my CU get my hopes up - they swore up and down that the important part was continuous employment in the same industry. I have an 800+ credit rating, a six figure income, and zero debt. This really should not have been difficult at all.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    My impression of the home buying process, when I went through it a few years ago, was that it was constructed specifically to keep the poors and the brown people from doing it. Maybe that's not true, but it certainly feels like it.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    My impression of the home buying process, when I went through it a few years ago, was that it was constructed specifically to keep the poors and the brown people from doing it. Maybe that's not true, but it certainly feels like it.

You would be correct, actually. There's plenty of institutional racism in that system.

• Options

That is, to borrow a phrase, not a bug, but a feature.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Hmm I've yet to get into the weeds with my lender.

I kind of figured I'd be fine having near 800 credit and my payment/taxes/hoa is less than 1/3rd my take home but now I'm wondering.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

I kind of figured I'd be fine having near 800 credit and my payment/taxes/hoa is less than 1/3rd my take home but now I'm wondering.

Don't worry, they'll find the Old Navy store card from 2002 that you still owed eight dollars on and demand that you get a letter from the CEO saying that you're cool.

• Options

Don't worry, they'll find the Old Navy store card from 2002 that you still owed eight dollars on and demand that you get a letter from the CEO saying that you're cool.

They're gonna go back to the year I had like six W2s because the shitty little contracting company I worked for kept changing their name and getting sued then sold to someone else.

Even I can barely make sense of that one and I lived through it.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    My car is currently stuck in the garage. We have been having problems with the door the last couple of weeks. At first it would randomly stop closing and go back up about a foot off the ground. We didn't have time to look at it when it when it was happening. Then it started to not open more than a couple of inches, but we managed to get it to work (again, random).

Now my car is stuck in the garage and the door won't open. We can pull it off the auto opener and try to lift it manually and there is definitely something causing it to just stop, but we can't see anything wrong. Hopefully the landlord can do something tomorrow.

This, plus the tons of other things we did not notice or have broken in the few months since we have moved in make me nervous about buying a probably older home next year.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    My car is currently stuck in the garage. We have been having problems with the door the last couple of weeks. At first it would randomly stop closing and go back up about a foot off the ground. We didn't have time to look at it when it when it was happening. Then it started to not open more than a couple of inches, but we managed to get it to work (again, random).

Now my car is stuck in the garage and the door won't open. We can pull it off the auto opener and try to lift it manually and there is definitely something causing it to just stop, but we can't see anything wrong. Hopefully the landlord can do something tomorrow.

This, plus the tons of other things we did not notice or have broken in the few months since we have moved in make me nervous about buying a probably older home next year.

If it won't lift manually I'd bet the springs are the culprit, they are what allow it to work at all.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »

If it won't lift manually I'd bet the springs are the culprit, they are what allow it to work at all.

Yeah, that's what we are thinking and where we went "Nope, let the landlord handle it!" Thankfully for the next couple of days we have a spare car.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »

Is the rain basically overflowing the window track and coming in that way? We had this problem a while back. It was scary because the track would overflow in a matter of minutes, and no amount of towel stuffing or duct tape or duct tape fashioned into a trough to hopefully divert the rain from hitting the track... none of it did anything but delay the inevitable.

We found a general handyman who did windows, and his solution was dead simple: Drill a hole on the outside track on each side, so that when that track filled up with water, it would just drain out the holes.

No, it's not the window track filling, it's the entire window well. I.e. there's a 6' deep well with walls with steps that you can climb up to escape the basement in an emergency. That entire thing is filling with water.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options

They're gonna go back to the year I had like six W2s because the shitty little contracting company I worked for kept changing their name and getting sued then sold to someone else.

was it 3 years ago or more? They probably won't care for FHA unless it needs to be a jumbo loan or something.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Alright so my plan is closing next friday.

Then after that I'll schedule movers for the following weekend.

Spend the week between moving over small stuff, getting the dogs acclimated and setting up appointments like fridge delivery, internet and stuff like that. I can also use that time to start changing my address over and everything that goes along with that. Then work on listing the old place for sale.

That all sound like a good way of doing that so it's not too much of a whirlwind?

Speaking of, anyone have a good list of stuff to check for updating my address? Last move was easier because it was out of my parents so anything that wasn't changed was still link to somewhere I could get to.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I changed jobs during the process.
    It did not seem difficult at all. I think there was a bit of you need to provide 90 days of pay stubs, and I provided I think a month?
    I was also doing a VA loan though, so that maybe was a bit different.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

was it 3 years ago or more? They probably won't care for FHA unless it needs to be a jumbo loan or something.

Yeah that was 2015. I already sent them in 16 and 17 hopefully that's good enough.

2016 is already dumb cause I changed jobs, new job bought, and got PAX money on the side.
    Four W2s should be enough for one year.

This discussion has been closed.