As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost more than you expect

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Restained the deck. Massively labor intensive but cost affordable. Lowes had a color we liked for 9 bucks a can, 4 year style.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Speaking of, anyone have a good list of stuff to check for updating my address? Last move was easier because it was out of my parents so anything that wasn't changed was still link to somewhere I could get to.

Update all the websites that send you things in thr mail. Then go to the Post Office and set up forwarding. I believe they give you a year, but check their website for details (they also have a "moving kit" that includes coupons).

As you receive mail at the new place, change any addresses you've missed.

Also make sure you update your address at work as soon as you have keys in hand, so your W2 doesn't get lost in limbo.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Speaking of, anyone have a good list of stuff to check for updating my address? Last move was easier because it was out of my parents so anything that wasn't changed was still link to somewhere I could get to.

Update all the websites that send you things in thr mail. Then go to the Post Office and set up forwarding. I believe they give you a year, but check their website for details (they also have a "moving kit" that includes coupons).

Also make sure you update your address at work as soon as you have keys in hand, so your W2 doesn't get lost in limbo.

Very much do the USPS change of address - they'll forward your mail, and you can choose to get coupons from a bunch of places, many of which are very useful.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »

Very much do the USPS change of address - they'll forward your mail, and you can choose to get coupons from a bunch of places, many of which are very useful.

I think the default is 6 months of forwarding. In the past when I've moved I've done it multiple times. You're not supposed to go that route though.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Do I do that at the post office of my old town or my new town?

And thank you!

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

And thank you!

Either or even online.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Cauld wrote: »
    Bullhead wrote: »

I think the default is 6 months of forwarding. In the past when I've moved I've done it multiple times. You're not supposed to go that route though.

You get 3(?) months of magazine forwarding, and I don't recall the regular amount. I've done it every time I've moved and not had an issue - usually you're going to catch anything you forgot to update in the first few weeks/months anyway.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

And thank you!

Either or even online.

Online costs a dollar to do.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

And thank you!

Either or even online.

Online costs a dollar to do.

I did it online multiple times. It does cost $1, but I think that's mostly to avoid scams. The old address might get a notice that you've done it too.

• Options

And thank you!

Either or even online.

https://moversguide.usps.com/mgo/disclaimer?referral=UMOVE

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I've done both mail forwarding and changing my address online. It worked really well.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

And thank you!

Either or even online.

Unless you're moving to a rural area, then you have to go to the post office directly because the carrier is the ruler of his fiefdom.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

And thank you!

Either or even online.

Unless you're moving to a rural area, then you have to go to the post office directly because the carrier is the ruler of his fiefdom.

My brother (who lives in a VERY rural area) didn't get mail delivered for 6 months because the carrier couldn't quite reach his mailbox without getting out of her truck and demanded he move it about 10 inches closer to the road. He refused and complained to the post office. They basically shrugged and said to work it out with the carrier.

He eventually had to move the mailbox closer to the road.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Welp, I just backed out the contract that I entered into for a condo. Owner added on a private wood deck a few years back while he was board president (one of the main reasons we were buying the unit), but when we started pulling the recorded condo docs, nothing was amended and recorded for this deck, so I didn't want to risk having to tear it down as an illegal deck at the whims of future boards or owners.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »
    Thread title is inaccurate. Current problem is costing me no money because I can't find anyone to fix it.

My basement egress window well is filling with water when it rains. That water is of course then leaking through the window, soaking the insulation, and spreading across the floor (basement is unfinished, thankfully). No one will fix it for me. I can find tons of places that list everything it might need on their website, but none will actually come out and fix the problem.

I've probably got a bad seal between the egress retaining wall and the foundation (water fills it way faster than it's raining, so it's leaking in from somewhere), but it could also be related to clogged drain tile, my sump pump not working hard enough, etc. And all I can find anyone willing to do is come dry out/replace the insulation. Oh, and my insurance company hasn't called me back (if they'll even cover a ground water problem).

Is the rain basically overflowing the window track and coming in that way? We had this problem a while back. It was scary because the track would overflow in a matter of minutes, and no amount of towel stuffing or duct tape or duct tape fashioned into a trough to hopefully divert the rain from hitting the track... none of it did anything but delay the inevitable.

We found a general handyman who did windows, and his solution was dead simple: Drill a hole on the outside track on each side, so that when that track filled up with water, it would just drain out the holes.

No, it's not the window track filling, it's the entire window well. I.e. there's a 6' deep well with walls with steps that you can climb up to escape the basement in an emergency. That entire thing is filling with water.

You need drainage - and a lot of it. You've got to get all that water away from the emergency exit/window well WAY before it starts pooling and building up. Sealing the window better won't do shit, you have to get the water away from there completely. Can you sink a big soakwell under your yard with a storm drain from that window well piped into it?

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Thread title is inaccurate. Current problem is costing me no money because I can't find anyone to fix it.

My basement egress window well is filling with water when it rains. That water is of course then leaking through the window, soaking the insulation, and spreading across the floor (basement is unfinished, thankfully). No one will fix it for me. I can find tons of places that list everything it might need on their website, but none will actually come out and fix the problem.

I've probably got a bad seal between the egress retaining wall and the foundation (water fills it way faster than it's raining, so it's leaking in from somewhere), but it could also be related to clogged drain tile, my sump pump not working hard enough, etc. And all I can find anyone willing to do is come dry out/replace the insulation. Oh, and my insurance company hasn't called me back (if they'll even cover a ground water problem).

Is the rain basically overflowing the window track and coming in that way? We had this problem a while back. It was scary because the track would overflow in a matter of minutes, and no amount of towel stuffing or duct tape or duct tape fashioned into a trough to hopefully divert the rain from hitting the track... none of it did anything but delay the inevitable.

We found a general handyman who did windows, and his solution was dead simple: Drill a hole on the outside track on each side, so that when that track filled up with water, it would just drain out the holes.

No, it's not the window track filling, it's the entire window well. I.e. there's a 6' deep well with walls with steps that you can climb up to escape the basement in an emergency. That entire thing is filling with water.

You need drainage - and a lot of it. You've got to get all that water away from the emergency exit/window well WAY before it starts pooling and building up. Sealing the window better won't do shit, you have to get the water away from there completely. Can you sink a big soakwell under your yard with a storm drain from that window well piped into it?

Exactly, this is what I can't find someone to do. I have good grading (I think) of my landscaping in general, I have drain tile, there is a drain in the window well itself that worked for 5 years. The problem is a combination of a) as good as my grading and drainage are, my neighborhood drainage is crap and my soil is terrible, like, 90% clay, so once it is soaked there is literally a river running through the neighborhood at ground level. All the terrible stuff misses my house, but b) my window well itself is failing in some way. Water is not overflowing into the window well from the top, it is leaking in between the well and the foundation or seeping from underneath.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    Speaking of drainage my in-laws neighbor is erecting a retaining wall and grading his yard for drainage. He thinks my in laws water flowers so much his yard floods.

1. He is wrong obviously there just isn't enough water from that to do it

2. His contracter also doesn't think it's from that it's a natural slope that happens that way when it rains.

3. Contractor is explicitly making this guy sign a clause that the requested sloping and wall changes may flood his crawlspace and possible make the seasonal drainage worse.

But the guy has lost it a bit and demanding it done this way.

• Options

Exactly, this is what I can't find someone to do. I have good grading (I think) of my landscaping in general, I have drain tile, there is a drain in the window well itself that worked for 5 years. The problem is a combination of a) as good as my grading and drainage are, my neighborhood drainage is crap and my soil is terrible, like, 90% clay, so once it is soaked there is literally a river running through the neighborhood at ground level. All the terrible stuff misses my house, but b) my window well itself is failing in some way. Water is not overflowing into the window well from the top, it is leaking in between the well and the foundation or seeping from underneath.

Can you get to the drain tile; as miserable as that would be? Like, just with a shovel? The drain tile may just have a clog of some sort or maybe silt is getting through a gap in the landscape cloth.

I know that's probably what you're trying to get a contractor to do; but I'm wondering if there's a relatively simple fix (let's face it; it'll still suck doing the work)

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular

Can you get to the drain tile; as miserable as that would be? Like, just with a shovel? The drain tile may just have a clog of some sort or maybe silt is getting through a gap in the landscape cloth.

I know that's probably what you're trying to get a contractor to do; but I'm wondering if there's a relatively simple fix (let's face it; it'll still suck doing the work)

I don't know a thing about how drain tile works. I could easily just make it worse.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Standing around awkwardly during inspection yay.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Should the buyer's agent be doing legwork to follow up after the inspection? My wife had some questions about the results and the agent reply was effectively "I dunno, call the inspector yourself." Which left us wondering what we were even paying her to do. What DOES she do beyond open the front door and fill in paperwork?

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Jean wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    also, Jean, it's weird that they do the parking spaces like that. Every place here (WA) I've seen the spots are dedicated to a given unit.
    You're in a relatively big city though right? More units than spots?

I'm in Ottawa. Population 1 million. Yes, they're is more units than spots. I can easilly understand why our parking situation would discourage buyers, especially in a spread out city like this where it can be hard to get by w/o a car, especially if your job isn't 9-5; M-F,

Update : The condo board guarenteed our client will have a parking spot on the property :D

Inspection is scheduled for Monday October 1st. *crosses fingers*

We're buying my father's house no matter what happens but selling this damn condo would lift a huge financial and emotional weight from our shoulders!

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Should the buyer's agent be doing legwork to follow up after the inspection? My wife had some questions about the results and the agent reply was effectively "I dunno, call the inspector yourself." Which left us wondering what we were even paying her to do. What DOES she do beyond open the front door and fill in paperwork?

I mean, quite obviously they are a bad agent if that was their response. If nothing else, being dismissive is just annoying to work with.

But to be more direct, I would think a good agent would have a talked to you about the things they usually look for in an inspection, and followed up after the inspection with their thoughts, and to see if you had any concerns.

If it’s just a few small things they might follow up themselves, but if you have big or numerous concerns it is usually easier for you to talk directly with the inspector.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    Madpoet wrote: »

I mean, quite obviously they are a bad agent if that was their response. If nothing else, being dismissive is just annoying to work with.

But to be more direct, I would think a good agent would have a talked to you about the things they usually look for in an inspection, and followed up after the inspection with their thoughts, and to see if you had any concerns.

If it’s just a few small things they might follow up themselves, but if you have big or numerous concerns it is usually easier for you to talk directly with the inspector.

Thanks. We talked to her a bit and some of it may just have been email stripping out context, we're going to try to communicate via phone more. I'm having trouble knowing what's a concern or not because the inspection didn't really say how severe things are. Like "There was light coming from the plumbing stacks in the attic, this appears to be the result of torn/damaged rubber plumbing stack flashing". That sounds bad! Should I demand it get fixed? Plan to fix it myself? Scuttle the deal over it?
    Luckily my dad is a boss, and is going to go over it with us. Help from the generation that could actually afford houses after college.

• Options
    It's a possible avenue for water damage. If there isn't any evidence of water damage, then it just needs corrected before it can cause a problem.

• Options
    An agents job is to transition your concerns from the inspection into a modified offer. They don't deal directly with your inspector.

That said a good agent is also a big time facilitator of the whole process. Providing you with inspection company numbers, pointing you in the right direction, advice, etc. Most buyers are not very experienced.

• Options
    Or you could do what I did and skip using a buying agent. I knew what sort of home I wanted better than anyone else. I even worked with a few agents before I went at it on my own. The first one was hyper aggressive and would not stop calling me day and night. I tried to be polite at first but ended up having to tell her to fuck off. The next one would take forever to communicate with sellers and was just sending me automated searches from MLS. The same hoses that I was seeing on Zillow and the like. The last guy was a friend of my mom's who did nothing to help me find the place I eventually bought. Ad it turns out the seller was of a similar opinion and didn't use an agent either. I was able to communicate with her directly and negotiate a good price. At that point we drew up a simple purchase agreement and both signed it. I hired the inspector myself. My mortgage broker knew a good cheap lawyer. They both worked hard to swing all the numbers in my favor.

I bought my townhouse for roughly $1500 out of pocket when all was said and done. I only needed to bring $65 to closing.

Now, my story is not typical of the home buying experience. Your milage may vary. The point is that there is nothing a realtor can do that you can't do yourself with a little bit of enginuity.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    pw55q1hjxbp0.png

it'shappening.ronpaul

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    basic humanbasic human Registered User regular
    I want to grow a privacy hedge that is thick and impossible to see through and also fast growing. I'm thinking of Viburnum odoratissimum.

Do privacy hedges have to be grown up from seedlings for best results? How do I get it so thick? What is the recommended thickness?

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Tired of putting up drywall? No need to worry about that any more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARpd5J5gDMk

(that said, taping and mudding and corners are the really fiddly part, if you ask me)

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

(that said, taping and mudding and corners are the really fiddly part, if you ask me)

No one minds hanging drywall, give me a robot that will sand my poorly mudded seams, then we can talk.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

No one minds hanging drywall, give me a robot that will sand my poorly mudded seams, then we can talk.

I agree but think we should go further with this line of robotics development.

DevastatorManga1.jpg

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Don't have to worry about putting up drywall if you have no house

pointsathead.png

• Options
    OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    Devastator was just a scam to create more work for the Constructicons.

PSN: TitusPullo13
  • Options
    cfumkocjcfni.png
    20 days to close. Still need appraisal and some banking stuff, but nothing else left for us to do but wait.

• Options
    The lender is insisting that we get an appraisal from a company that they happen to own, and it's coming in at $800, which seems excessive. This is 100% not on the up and up, right?
    But hopefully hinky in a way that guarantees the appraisal comes in at what we need it to be?

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Under the laws, the lender gets the pick the appraiser, since they have to be 'independent' from the transaction. Typically they just go with the cheapest, and is usually around $400. I've never heard of an appraisal that costs that much.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Having kickbacks from title companies and appraisers is 100% a thing in the mortgage industry, but I've (surprisingly) never run into one owned by the lender. Usually they try to keep a degree of separation. You know, for appearances.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Call them out on it and see if the price changes?

• Options
    That's why I recommend going to a small independent mortgage broker instead of a megabank. By guy bent over backwards to get me the kind of loan I needed with terms I could handle. No one forced me to use any particular appraisers or whatnot. In fact the lawyer he recommended ended up costing less than half what the lawyer I was going to use did.

This discussion has been closed.