As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost more than you expect

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    That's what I'm doing - our mortgage broker is a friend-of-a-friend, and she recommended this lender. We had to sign a document saying that we were told that there was a relationship between the appraisal service and the lender, but I had to do some google sleuthing to find out that one owned the other.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    That's why I recommend going to a small independent mortgage broker instead of a megabank. By guy bent over backwards to get me the kind of loan I needed with terms I could handle. No one forced me to use any particular appraisers or whatnot. In fact the lawyer he recommended ended up costing less than half what the lawyer I was going to use did.

I went with a local credit union and they were able to secure me a loan that only required 5% down to avoid mortgage insurance.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    That's why I recommend going to a small independent mortgage broker instead of a megabank. By guy bent over backwards to get me the kind of loan I needed with terms I could handle. No one forced me to use any particular appraisers or whatnot. In fact the lawyer he recommended ended up costing less than half what the lawyer I was going to use did.

I went with a local credit union and they were able to secure me a loan that only required 5% down to avoid mortgage insurance.

You might want to check that again. As far as I know PMI is required on every loan with less than 20% down payment. However, there are certain loans, typically called 'lender financed PMI' that is essentially what it sounds like. The downside is you pay a higher interest rate, which is tough in the long-run because you can't just cancel that PMI/higher interest rate once you hit 20% equity. You'd likely have to refinance to get out of that elevated interest rate.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    PMI is required on FHA loans if they start at less than 20% down. Banks have a lot more wiggle room on conventional loans.

However most conventional will still have PMI until you hit 20% equity unless the bank really wanted the business and paid for the insurance themselves out of their closing costs.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Going to renovate the gardening in front of my home this weekend with the help of papa leek. Shall I document the before and after?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Yes.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    PMI is required on FHA loans if they start at less than 20% down. Banks have a lot more wiggle room on conventional loans.

However most conventional will still have PMI until you hit 20% equity unless the bank really wanted the business and paid for the insurance themselves out of their closing costs.

My house is in a stable neighborhood but near to a fucked up town.

Four years ago when we did our loan PNC offered us a loan that was a quarter point higher then what we would normally get but only required 3.5% down and had no PMI charge. Not lender paid PMI which always plays out to being more over the life of the loan, but no PMI.

On top of that PNC was also legally mandated to hold onto the loan and it couldn't pass hands under the original terms.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    For me, saving up 20k for a down payment was just out of the question. I was lucky to be able to score a $0 down USDA loan. When I bought my place it was just a half mile outside of the exclusionary zone. Just for grins I went back and looked at the USDA map again and my place (and the entire town) are now excluded.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Butters wrote: »

Used my credit union, back when I worked for AT&T, for my mortgage loan, too. They typically offer better deals than the banks, sometimes much better.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    We are painting cabinets and my wife has selected this trendy chalk paint. Anyways here is the island we did this weekend sorry about the lighting. Would have done pics yesterday but I had to fix one of the drawers that busted on us.

nznh70timhg7.jpg

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Damn, I love the look of that. Classy.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That looks great! The only thing I would change if it was mine is I would replace the door handles with the same type as the drawers, just mounted vertically.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Anyone know what would cause a burning metal smell in our kitchen? At first I thought my wife put the oven in self cleaning mode but apparently not.

It doesn’t smell like an electrical fire, also it’s persisted for a few hours now.

Finally figured it out. It was a light bulb in our basement stairwell. It started to randomly blink out for minutes at a time. When I went to check it out it was incredibly hot and I found the source of the smell.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Anyone know what would cause a burning metal smell in our kitchen? At first I thought my wife put the oven in self cleaning mode but apparently not.

It doesn’t smell like an electrical fire, also it’s persisted for a few hours now.

Finally figured it out. It was a light bulb in our basement stairwell. It started to randomly blink out for minutes at a time. When I went to check it out it was incredibly hot and I found the source of the smell.

@Quid is it burned out? Kiddo needs a burned out bulb for a science project.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Radiation wrote: »

Quid is it burned out? Kiddo needs a burned out bulb for a science project.

No it kept coming back on every few minutes.

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    I found a switch used to control our furnace that was incredibly hot, an old one so I ended up swapping it out and things started working better, and cooler.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The house is 60. The thermostat says it's running the heat but it's not.

Oh hey, we're out of oil. When the hell did that happen?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    4 years ago I built a dining room table, and made it sort of skinny. A little under 35 inches instead of the standard 40. Our dining room chairs were smaller at the time and the furniture layout was different so it worked. All that has changed, so the table is too. Cut the trim off both ends, cut the table in half, added another board in the center, redid the table apron and the end trim pieces for the new width.

LD2sgYU.jpg

n11dXZw.jpg

A little bit of router edge work on the trim then sanding and staining tomorrow, polyurethane on Tuesday and Wednesday. Also Kreg jigs are amazing and worth every penny.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Looks awesome man! And yeah, the Kreg pocket hole jig has been a game changer for general assembly efficiency.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Man, living in a place with properly spaced studs is amazing. Out last place required tea leaves and a ritual sacrifice to find a stud. The magnetic stud finders never worked, electronic stud finders were just contantly giving false positives, and the stud spacing was erratic and seemingly random. AND most of the outlet boxes and light switches weren't attached to studs, making it even more confusing.

In the new place I just find an outlet, knock, measure 16 inches, knock, bam, two studs. Like clockwork.

I really wish I wasn't so impressed by basic framing fundamentals.

minor incident on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Uhhhhhhhhhhh.

Above ground tank?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

4 years ago I built a dining room table, and made it sort of skinny. A little under 35 inches instead of the standard 40. Our dining room chairs were smaller at the time and the furniture layout was different so it worked. All that has changed, so the table is too. Cut the trim off both ends, cut the table in half, added another board in the center, redid the table apron and the end trim pieces for the new width.

LD2sgYU.jpg

n11dXZw.jpg

A little bit of router edge work on the trim then sanding and staining tomorrow, polyurethane on Tuesday and Wednesday. Also Kreg jigs are amazing and worth every penny.

I would totally leave the old wood dark stained and do a light stain on the new wood. I think it would look very cool.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

LD2sgYU.jpg

n11dXZw.jpg

I would totally leave the old wood dark stained and do a light stain on the new wood. I think it would look very cool.

I'm not seeing it, myself.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

LD2sgYU.jpg

n11dXZw.jpg

I'm not seeing it, myself.

Yeah. IMO, I'd do the new stuff even darker.

• Options
    RedTide wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Uhhhhhhhhhhh.

Above ground tank?

Nope. And no leaks. No idea. They're gonna come fill it today or tomorrow, but we'll have to keep an eye on the furnace.

• Options
    Every year the smell from the heat turning on for the first time in months freaks me out.

• Options
    OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    Every year the smell from the heat turning on for the first time in months freaks me out.

Oh, you don't like the smell of desiccated human flesh immolating? How strange.

PSN: TitusPullo13
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Ooooops, wrong thread.

I too love that smell of old epithelial material pumped through the house. #smellslikefall

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular

As an owner of a furnace which is rapidly approaching 15 years old, I welcome that sweet stench.

I really don't want to have the conversation about converting our furnace into a heat pump heat/AC combo unit....at least financially.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Yep, I so rarely need the heater, that every time it does get turned on it smells like my apartment building is going to burn to the ground.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Oil delivered today. Couldn't get the damn thing to start, so they came back and bled it. A lot of air in there, but now we have heat again.

Next to figure out the pellet stove. There the hopper is working, but no fire starting. Just going to have to go through the manual later with it and see what's what.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I have these modular couch thingies. So I bought new covers for them to match the new place and avoid buying an all new couch.

But it seems they changed the size of the couch pieces so the new covers don't fit the old pieces (kinda defeats the purpose of being able to get new pieces if they just change the piece sizes..). But I already had the covers at that point so hey might as well buy the new inserts for these new covers and use the old one as a couch in a different room. So $2000 worth of avoiding buying a new couch later...

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I have these modular couch thingies. So I bought new covers for them to match the new place and avoid buying an all new couch.

But it seems they changed the size of the couch pieces so the new covers don't fit the old pieces (kinda defeats the purpose of being able to get new pieces if they just change the piece sizes..). But I already had the covers at that point so hey might as well buy the new inserts for these new covers and use the old one as a couch in a different room. So $2000 worth of avoiding buying a new couch later...

...that's a new couch price isn't it? Has it been that long since I bought a couch? Oh damn, I may need a new couch.

• Options
    Bolthorn wrote: »

...that's a new couch price isn't it? Has it been that long since I bought a couch? Oh damn, I may need a new couch.

Yes, that's new couch money.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I had an interesting interaction with my asshole neighbor the other day that has stuck with me.
    He apologized for some very immature behavior he displayed while I was having some work done on my house a couple months ago, but he did it in a way that made me feel like he's still angry about it and still thinks he's right to be angry about it.

Like I'm 100% certain he only did it because his wife told him to.
    On top of that he only talked to me, not my wife who also walked right by him earlier that day.

It's weird because he did the right thing on paper but managed to do it in such a way that I still do not feel any need to respect/talk to or otherwise acknowledge his existence.
    Fuck him.

Oh, also apparently he thinks my father bought my house and we're planning to flip it. (for reference my father is a general contractor so he is around a lot helping me improve the place)

Which I wasn't until right after I found that out. Fucking old white men, I don't have the energy for this shit anymore.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Gotta be honest, the idea of selling the house just to spite him would have crossed my mind, but I am petty and vengeful.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    What's wrong with flipping a house again? House next to you gets nicer, neighborhood gets nicer as a result, eventually someone buys it who is more well to do than if it was sold as is. Seems like all wins to me.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Too often, flippers do really cheap, baseline reno work. Sometimes even really bad, dangerous reno work. So the house being nicer is not a given at all. That said, he's probably just all "KIDS THESE DAYS AND THEIR HOUSE FLIPPING SCHEMES." And not at all the fact that buying a house these days has a definite economic threshold. *eyeroll*

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    "No reason to test the stain on a piece of scrap wood, I definitely remember which one I used last time."

Narrator: He didn't.

v0Iix5d.jpg

"It has to be the right stain, I'm sure it will dry lighter."

Narrator: It didn't.

I got out the belt sander to sand it back to bare wood and the motor grenaded. Pop, flash, magic smoke. Disassembled it and the contacts for the motor had been torn out of their mounts. It's 9 years old and had been used unquestionably above and beyond it's $49 Black & Decker pay grade so I couldn't complain. So I bought another one at Lowes at 9 tonight and the correct stain.

pEZ9r9N.jpg

Back in business.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Testing on scrap wood is admitting defeat.

And wasting a perfectly good tiny piece of wood that I'll definitely, absolutely, without a doubt need for something soon.

This discussion has been closed.