Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    According to the DOOM wiki, the Doom Slayer was supposedly a general in the Night Sentinels.

Evidently the Night Sentinels were empowered by - and guardians for - immensely powerful beings called Wraiths in the city of Argent D'nur. After being betrayed by one of their own, the city fell and the Wraiths were enslaved to act as batteries for the Well - Hell's energy source. These are the 3 guys the Doom Slayer has to free in the final level before facing the Spider Mastermind.

It's unclear whether or not the Night Sentinels are human or if the Wraiths are supposed to be "Angels" or in any way related to Heaven. I tend to believe they're just... alien. And that Earth isn't the only planet/universe that Hell has invaded.

An hooded entity called "the Seraphim" is credited with granting the Doomslayer his powers beyond those of Night Sentinels, after the fall of D'nur. You couldn't get a more on-the-nose angel reference if you tried.

He's not one of the wraiths, although that doesn't rule out the wraiths having some connection to Heaven.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    According to the DOOM wiki, the Doom Slayer was supposedly a general in the Night Sentinels.

Evidently the Night Sentinels were empowered by - and guardians for - immensely powerful beings called Wraiths in the city of Argent D'nur. After being betrayed by one of their own, the city fell and the Wraiths were enslaved to act as batteries for the Well - Hell's energy source. These are the 3 guys the Doom Slayer has to free in the final level before facing the Spider Mastermind.

It's unclear whether or not the Night Sentinels are human or if the Wraiths are supposed to be "Angels" or in any way related to Heaven. I tend to believe they're just... alien. And that Earth isn't the only planet/universe that Hell has invaded.

An hooded entity called "the Seraphim" is credited with granting the Doomslayer his powers beyond those of Night Sentinels, after the fall of D'nur. You couldn't get a more on-the-nose angel reference if you tried.

He's not one of the wraiths, although that doesn't rule out the wraiths having some connection to Heaven.

I'm always a fan of the whole 'third power besides Heaven and Hell' trope, so I'm looking forwards to the Night Sentinels lore being expanded.

miyPWhiSHhYrVr5LfYWvyvv_QcmpjSFIJOEACIzmjK8.jpg?auto=webp&s=e529d89ecfb4b4c7e60b1da73cb0b42274f59a1a

"Good, bad... I'm the one with the army of devoted knight-warriors and dual-cannon armored battle-trolls and bitchin' dragons.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    My original thought was Doom Guy (of DOOM 1) somehow landed in a fantasy world and he started the sentinels to begin with, of which Doom Slayer is a descendant of. I don’t really believe that now, but that was my first impression playing the game.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

Is it just that pic or has Hugo Martin lost a crapton of weight since Quakecon?

Also.. I'm not really a big fan of his ever since he sort of publically shit on FO76 devs (The people working on the new Star Wars) during his Doom keynote just to make himself and his team look good. He wasn't explicit about it, but it was obvious what he was saying. That was a classless move and I won't forget it.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I keep watching that trailer and getting more hyped for the game.

Gimme my shotgun. Lemme at those demons.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Finished Sigil, gonna play No Rest for the Living next, then I think I might finally get a Doom 64 port up and running and play through that. I know that there's an official version coming in alongside Doom Eternal, but I'm going to be too busy playing Doom Eternal to play Doom 64 for awhile. Might as well play it now while I've got the time.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I'm kind of curious what he said that was worse than Fallout 76 actually existing

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I'm kind of curious what he said that was worse than Fallout 76 actually existing

ehh I don't want to get into a whole thing but since I've already brought it up I guess I'm committed.

He basically was just like "We're not going to push out a POS like those FO76 guys" (was actually Star Wars sequels) (paraphrased, not an actual quote. it was more subtle than that).

edit: put it this way he basically came as close to directly saying it as anyone ........you know what.... freaking hold that thought one second.. I need to check something real quick.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    When was this?

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Alright.. hold the phone here... I got my wires crossed. It wasn't FO76 he was talking about, it was the new Star Wars movies.

Everything I said above still happened just replace FO76 with the new Star Wars. I'm really embarrased about this.

he was basically like "We actually care about what we're making unlike those guys" and it just came off as a very classless move to shit on other creators in order to make yourself look good, regardless of how you feel about the new Star Wars.

Still though. I really apologize for mixing it up with FO76. I'll edit my posts now.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Again, when was this?

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Again, when was this?

One of the Quakecon panels for Eternal this year. I'm actually going back looking for a timestamp now if you just wanna hold on a sec.

edit: actually my memory cant be trusted now so who knows when or where the fuck it was. I know it happened though. I'm tracking it down now.

Edit: it was in an interview environment where hes sitting... maybe its 25 years of doom.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Was it the longform Noclip interview with him?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I keep watching that trailer and getting more hyped for the game.

Gimme my shotgun. Lemme at those demons.

My favorite bit in the new trailer is Doomguy flying through the air over a demon while getting multiple lockons and raining fire down on the demon.

Poor demon: "Help, help, I need an airstrike!"

DOOMGUY: "I AM AN AIRSTRIKE"

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Theres still something I don’t like about the explosions in Eternal compared to 2016. I feel like the explosions in this one don’t look as meaty, they look kind of papery, not as rich and billowing as 2016. I’ll hold my verdict until I play it but I will be kind of bummed if they don’t look as good in the final game

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Was it the longform Noclip interview with him?

found it

https://youtu.be/GT_ggEsLo-c

25 years of doom panel.
    1:14:40 is timestamp.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    It’s kind of funny tho I’m pretty sure fallout 76 is actually a low key success for Bethesda. Like they would never admit it, and the pr hit has been huge, but it was obviously made on a low budget and I have a sneaking suspicion it actually sold really well, enough to turn a decent profit.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    It’s kind of funny tho I’m pretty sure fallout 76 is actually a low key success for Bethesda. Like they would never admit it, and the pr hit has been huge, but it was obviously made on a low budget and I have a sneaking suspicion it actually sold really well, enough to turn a decent profit.

I...what? I can’t imagine any scenario where 76 is a net positive for Bethesda. It may have sold well enough at first but it was a new entry in a major IP by a major publisher. The reputation and infrastructure guaranteed it would move units. Past that, though, just, yikes man.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »

This is fucking bullshit, preorder cancelled

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    FIX IT

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    "We're delaying the game six months to fix Doomguys hair."

• Options
    edited January 2020

I...what? I can’t imagine any scenario where 76 is a net positive for Bethesda. It may have sold well enough at first but it was a new entry in a major IP by a major publisher. The reputation and infrastructure guaranteed it would move units. Past that, though, just, yikes man.

Your perception of it is skewed by the echo chamber that is the gaming internet dogpiling on it for every stupid thing they could think of.

Oh my god! The afterthought $3 duffel bag in the special edition is the wrong material and Bethesda offered to fix it for everyone for free! What an evil company!

The internet was a mistake.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

Your perception of it is skewed by the echo chamber that is the gaming internet dogpiling on it for every stupid thing they could think of.

Oh my god! The afterthought $3 duffel bag in the special edition is the wrong material and Bethesda offered to fix it for everyone for free! What an evil company!

Actually the only offered to fix it after it was pretty obvious they were going to get hit with false advertising law suits. Also I agree that there is no way even if the game was financially successful Bethesda is happy with the PR it received.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsVWdMVYJgk

I love hearing about the weird design stuff that goes into making stuff in Doom.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    furlion wrote: »

Actually the only offered to fix it after it was pretty obvious they were going to get hit with false advertising law suits. Also I agree that there is no way even if the game was financially successful Bethesda is happy with the PR it received.

Which is something Bethesda has nothing but itself to blame for, by making a blatantly obvious cheapass game that was just barely this side of a functional beta at release.

The "gaming internet" had nothing to do with Bethesda making shitty decisions making that game and cutting a fuckload of corners, or how they feigned surprise when people were unhappy with finding out they'd released a buggy overpriced mess that was packed with microtransactions.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Which is something Bethesda has nothing but itself to blame for, by making a blatantly obvious cheapass game that was just barely this side of a functional beta at release.

The "gaming internet" had nothing to do with Bethesda making shitty decisions making that game and cutting a fuckload of corners, or how they feigned surprise when people were unhappy with finding out they'd released a buggy overpriced mess that was packed with microtransactions.

Yeah I get that theres probably a disconnect between devs and PR, and it sucks that the devs are probably being railroaded into this, but FO76 is an absolute disaster from top to bottom and they've outright lied to customers. People were paying for game instances and still ended up with other parties on their "private server."

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

Yeah I get that theres probably a disconnect between devs and PR, and it sucks that the devs are probably being railroaded into this, but FO76 is an absolute disaster from top to bottom and they've outright lied to customers. People were paying for game instances and still ended up with other parties on their "private server."

Plus it is, or at least was, possible to delete items from the cash shop out of other people's inventories. Like what the fuck? How does something like that make it into a public release?

To bring this back onto DOOM they ran a 100% Nightmare difficulty game of it at AGDQ this year. I just finished watching it today and I highly recommend it. They even get some Dev and QA comments in the donations. It is up on the GDQ YouTube channel.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsVWdMVYJgk

I love hearing about the weird design stuff that goes into making stuff in Doom.

This is just fantastic.

• Options
    So I'm definitely noticing design similarities between the Spider Mastermind of 2016 and Eternals Heaven

• Options
    Also, found that speedrun for 2016 that Hugo was talking about and yeah, it's basically a 15 minute thesis on KBAM controls.

https://youtu.be/72S2aAxtZOs

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    That.

That.

Is the DOOM Slayer.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ...cheese and crackers. I had no idea you could get such insane jump boosts out of the railgun.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Best response in that: Did you select Nightmare, or did the demons select Nightmare?

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Best response in that: Did you select Nightmare, or did the demons select Nightmare?

DOOM was already a horror movie from the perspective of the murderer. This just made it 50 shades of explicit.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Just like the good old days.

"Back in my day we used to shoot our own feet, just to jump higher! We used to shoot our own feet and that allowed us to fly!"

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Considering there is absolutely no way they could have been hit with a legitimate false advertising suit (since it wasn't false advertising, there's legal text on all those PO announcements for game companies that state that the contents are subject to change), that absolutely was not the case. That's not how false advertising cases work. They could have literally shrugged their shoulders said "oh well I guess we couldn't get the canvas" and not a damn thing different would have happened to them legally, except maybe some people who don't know what they're doing may have filed frivolous cases, but thats a drop in the bucket to them.

And this is exactly what I'm talking about btw.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    that run even has some non-optimised (partly cos its from before the tech was known)

theres lots of stuff - like the weapon mod switches - that can be done buffered into weapon swaps. the siege mode shots could also have the startup avoided etc

its tough out there for a demon

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    By the way I never even bothered to get my canvas bag swapped out, I probably should have done that.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Just like the good old days.

"Back in my day we used to shoot our own feet, just to jump higher! We used to shoot our own feet and that allowed us to fly!"