As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where there's [Kids and Parenting] there's five opinions

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Niko: I spy with my little eye... Something... bath!
    Me: Is it the bath?
    Niko: Yes! I spy with my little eye... something... toilet!

My son did that one. Also hide and seek: mommy let's play hide and seek, I'll hide under the table and you count

me:...

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Niko: I spy with my little eye... Something... bath!
    Me: Is it the bath?
    Niko: Yes! I spy with my little eye... something... toilet!

My son did that one. Also hide and seek: mommy let's play hide and seek, I'll hide under the table and you count

me:...

Ours would let you go first and then hide in the exact place that he found you. It was guaranteed to be a good place because it took him ages to find us.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    When we first started playing hide and seek, Kees only had one hiding place. We'd hide all over the place, but every time he'd go back and hide in the same place as always.

Javi and Kees now play the game together. Javi loves it! He plays mostly by his own rules, which involve mostly counting and chasing, with very little hiding. So long as he gets to count, and play with his big brother, he's couldn't care less, so he just laughs and giggles and runs as happy as a songbird.

The downside is that he appears to be under the impression that the numbers thaqt come after 1-10 are "ready", "not", "here", "I come".

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Kids songs are designed to get stuck in your head. And the fact your kids will watch them on fucking loop for hours...

Twinkle twinkle little star... NOOOOOOOO

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Preacher wrote: »
    Kids songs are designed to get stuck in your head. And the fact your kids will watch them on fucking loop for hours...

So much this. Yesterday my wife had to stop me from singing this Gummi Bear song. It's not even good, just drilled into my brain from repetition.

Also, until I had kids, I had no idea this family finger song existed. My life was better before knowing it was a thing.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    The family finger song should be considered a war crime

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I definitely don't know enough songs. I sing my son to sleep with Twinkle Twinkle, or a never ending, terribly unrhyming version of Hush Little Baby. Hmm, maybe it's time to incorporate... "I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map..."

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    The family finger song..
    I was at a birthday party with my daughter for one of her friends. They started singing it, and I'm like.. I have never even heard the song before. But everybody was singing it like it was a common kids song. I haven't really heard it since, so I don't know where everybody had heard it before.
    And apparently there's a "Everybody clean up" song. I think it may be from Barney? I was too old to ever watch that show, so I'm not too sure.. I know a little of the melody, since it helps get my kids in the mood to clean, so I just sing "Every body clean up, clean up" in what I think may be the melody (I am copying my kids, and they are not the most faithful interpreters of music)

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    The other day around 8:30pm I was the only one awake. I had just put Abigail down and she was out like a light. The wife was asleep on the couch behind me, exhausted from a long day at work and baby creation. Looking down, I even saw Daisy asleep at my feet, obviously worn out from a long day of napping.

I took a long, deep breath and exhaled slowly letting the quiet of the house fill my ears. I then spent the next three hours playing the fuck out of some video games. It was glorious!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

So much this. Yesterday my wife had to stop me from singing this Gummi Bear song. It's not even good, just drilled into my brain from repetition.

Also, until I had kids, I had no idea this family finger song existed. My life was better before knowing it was a thing.

I am pretty sure whoever posted this video paid a lot of money to youtube to put that song up to the right of every kids video ever.

I haven't even clicked on the link and I know EXACTLY what gummy bear song that is.

*shudders*

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I am grateful that none of these songs are triggering memories right now. I don't even know what the finger song is, and unless the gummi bear is the cartoon theme song, I don't know that one either.

However, as a result of my wife listening to Greatest Showman on repeat for about two weeks, it's been on repeat through my kids for the past six.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Kate watches Baby's First channel and they play a ton of songs, including the finger song. I've also caught the song in a few other videos.

Dammit!!!! Just typing this much has the song in my head. Daddy finger, daddy finger, where are you ? Here I am, here I am humming this fucking song at work?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Miles is no longer allowed to browse youtube in part because of that song. Signing Time has some great songs, and the kids can watch that freely.

I went through a number of different songs to sing to my daughter at night. She never really seemed into them and while it seemed to help sometimes, nothing was reliable. Finally I found one that worked, and now I sing La Vie En Rose to her every night and she loves it and falls asleep really fast after I'm done, and it's great.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    My wife's entire methodology for naming the boys was based off pretty songs she wanted to sing them to sleep with (Danny Boy, Sweet Baby James, Gabriel and Me)

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I just randomly had Banana Phone come into my head so that's my week I guess

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I used to have the Mickey Mouse Playhouse song stuck in my head literally every day on the way to work. :whistle: Come inside its fun inside :whistle:

Now they just tell Alexa to play Kidz Bop and I guess thats an improvement.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    M I C K E Y

M O U S E

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Our one staple is ants marching. Our son loves to yell "hide" as he's hiding. He's most likely the most unsneaky person I've ever met.

• Options
    kijunshikijunshi Registered User regular
    aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAHHHHH THE DAYCARE SEARCH IS DONE.

There's some drama over on the family thread about it, but in a nutshell, my mother backed out of a childcare agreement we'd been working on for months three weeks away from the end of maternity leave, partially because she needed better health care, and partially because... don't really know, don't care, we're going on a soft estrangement after this.

So trying to find daycare in less than 3 weeks in an expensive area (Seattle) has been a nightmare, just a crazy-pants nightmare. My husband collapsed sick from the stress of it all during the first week, I signed up (paid!) for care.com, joined nanny share groups, worked personal connections, cold-called about 20 daycares - both in-home and regular - and visited 6 different places, half of them on a bus as I don't have a car, all of them in places with bad bus service, carrying my little boy with me in the carrier and walking on roads without sidewalks. My mother-in-law took half a day off to drive me to the rest of them (bless her).

It turned out that none of the places I visited were as I expected from their websites or their attitudes on the phone... all the in-home care places I went to were run by immigrants, mostly Muslim immigrants, and bless them too, because even the run-of-the-mill regular daycares would have cut into our food budget. All had certifications from the state. I bonded with one lady from Morocco, put a deposit down, then we had to spin on a dime because the REALLY inexpensive daycare (hundreds of dollars less a month!) I'd assumed would be awful wasn't, it was actually pretty great, and the staff had more experience, he'd be the only baby, paperwork stuff/references were in order, and they teach all their (cheerful and friendly!) kids some Chinese too. I think they've just been puttering along in their suburb and haven't noticed the extreme cost increases for everything yet? So then I had to break it off with the Moroccan lady which broke my heart. But after I posted that my search was done on Facebook--trying not to cry--two of my Facebook friends were like "WHERE DID YOU FIND CARE" so I passed along her info, and one has already scheduled a tour, so at least she will almost certainly get a client. (I didn't screw anyone over during the madness, yay!)

And of course during the whole thing I am furious at my mother, and bonding then breaking it off with people right and left (one great place filled two spots in between when I called them and when I managed to get out to them on the bus...), and struggling to grasp that my little one is going to be in care and away from me for 10 hours a day soon, and praying I've made the right choice for him, and even with the inexpensive place our finances are tight, no more restaurants or non-essential purchases for years to come, and in summary this whole thing was nuts nuts nuts NUTS. That is all.

/barbaric yawp... I hope you guys had less stress. And uh, if you have friends who are looking for daycares in north Seattle, I've got the deets on which ones have open spots, so I could send them info if needed? ^^;;

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Baby shark do do do do do do

Yeah, fuck you all, too :)

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I have this in my head all the time and my sister's baby isn't even born yet, its so catchy!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I’ve gone old-school for the kids’ fave songs. We sing The Gasman Cometh a lot, and we also listen to Ill Wind (which led to listening to the original Mozart horn concertos for a few nights), followed by other similar songs.

@kijunshi yaaaayyyy for daycare! Also we’re almost neighbors now (we just moved to Washington).

Niko is 3 tomorrow... Alex and Anya are just making dash out to the store because we realized he has NO presents to open, oops!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Ellie had recently discovered that her hands and arms will fit into the toilet paper tubes.

So of course she comes into the toilet with me, sticks her hands into two rolls, and then starts to sing Baby Shark.

While doing the chomping motions with the toilet rolls.

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Did you know there are Baby Shark plushies that sing the song?

The whole song. Start to finish. We have one.

Help.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    We should probably move on.

Do do do do do. Quack quack.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I just looked this up, and I swear they just stole that shark dance from general cultural knowledge circa my childhood. I think it was Daddy Jaws instead of Daddy shark though.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    My kids' favorite song is General Taylor.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I think I actually miss the songs aimed at the much younger kids. When my daughter picked up the Frozen soundtrack it was mostly okay. Then there was this weird Disney princess soundtrack thing that was tolerable. But the soundtracks to those Descendants movies make me want to crank up my own stereo in response. I find them abysmal. I am getting a case of the "olds" when it comes to my daughter's music.

At least in my wife's car she'll want to listen to the Spa channel (new age) or the Met Opera channel. That's more tolerable. Although Spa makes me want to nap.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Niko is 3 today and I had a dream about him dying and I had to sit around in a hospital in my dream and wait for him to die. Uuuugh.

• Options
    Your kids being wounded or in mortal danger are the absolute worst, fuck-your-piece-of-mind-for-the-next-24-hours nightmares possible. I had nearly an entire month's worth of them in the lead up to Baby Gabe being born

Worst one was me arriving to a party at my house and someone hands me my baby for the first time, but it is *clearly* the baby from Eraserhead, except I'm the only one who notices something is wrong, everyone else is having a just fantastic time at this party. And I find my giddy wife and try to explain to her the baby shouldn't be like this, we need to get to a hospital or something, and she cheerily goes, "That's ok, if he dies, we'll just get another one!" (Cue horror movie violin screech)

• Options
    But much more importantly, Happy Birthday Niko!

• Options
    My son has become terrified of baths/showers. I have no idea what happened, we figured he was just being a jerk about not wanting to take one, but last night putting him in he was shaking and screaming like a banshee. So those are off for the foreseable future.

Oddly enough he wants my wife to constantly put her druid in water. I'm at a crazy loss.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    My son has become terrified of baths/showers. I have no idea what happened, we figured he was just being a jerk about not wanting to take one, but last night putting him in he was shaking and screaming like a banshee. So those are off for the foreseable future.

Oddly enough he wants my wife to constantly put her druid in water. I'm at a crazy loss.

Autocorrect strikes again. Unless druid is slang for something that I don't know about?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Its a World of Warcraft class, he wants her to take her WoW character and go into the nearest body of water and just sit there. Nothing else just sit in water.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I took my daughter to an indoor playground place in Factoria yesterday. She played for over 1.5 hours and had a blast.

This morning she has a runny nose. Insert shocked face here.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I took my daughter to an indoor playground place in Factoria yesterday. She played for over 1.5 hours and had a blast.

This morning she has a runny nose. Insert shocked face here.

Yeah my son has a runny nose. Which is fine my brother is coming over and he can spread his germs to someone I don't like...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Its a World of Warcraft class, he wants her to take her WoW character and go into the nearest body of water and just sit there. Nothing else just sit in water.

Druids are the only class that can swim?

Either way it is indeed a strange thing for a toddler to request

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Druids are the only class that can swim?

Either way it is indeed a strange thing for a toddler to request

Druids have an aquatic form. When I played it was a seal, but I remember reading that those forms were diversified at some point.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I am so glad that mine is old enough that I can leave him to it at soft play centres. Putting your knee in something moist or worse, seeing something dripping down the slide is not something I miss

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    I am so glad that mine is old enough that I can leave him to it at soft play centres. Putting your knee in something moist or worse, seeing something dripping down the slide is not something I miss

I've only been to soft play places a few times but so far I've avoided any of the horrors of sick/wee/shit in ball pools. Everybody tells me it'll happen eventually

This discussion has been closed.