As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Legend of Andor is a fine game. Just don't expect it to be a crawl or anything. Fun adventure trying to optimize your moves.

Yeah it's like a neat puzzle that can have slight variations on replay but overall fun!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      DashuiDashui Registered User regular
      edited September 2017
      I finished my first game of Century: Spice Road. We immediately wanted to play another game. It has simplistic rules but a whole lot of strategy, coupled with some real good looking tarot-sized cards.

Dashui on
      Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    • Options
      FryFry Registered User regular
      Dashui wrote: »
      Naturally I sleeved everything, because I'm an insane person. Unfortunately, the post card sleeves I ordered for Eldritch Horror's hero/ancient one cards have a good inch of extra space up top that I'd like to cut. Scissors don't work. Would some sort of X-ACTO knife do the trick?

Obviously the solution is to buy a new game that fits the sleeves you have, and new sleeves that fit your Eldritch Horror cards. That's catching two stones with one bird!

• Options
      CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
      Just finished Pandemic Legacy.

One year to the day after the first game. That was an awesome surprise.

Best. Game. Ever.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    • Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      I want to hear all about it. I can't wait for season two.

On another note, I got Catan with Seafarers to the table with my parents tonight. Much more enjoyable of a game when I try to trade and with the extra space and ships. Also, I've learned to ask for trades BEFORE you monopoly everyone into giving you the other cards you want. No one is going to trade you stone after you stole all their wheat. I don't know what I was thinking, but I nearly passed out laughing when they made fun of me for thinking they would.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
      Unfortunately the other couple we were playing pandemic legacy with split, so we still need to figure out how we're going to finish it out. We're at June or July, so it'd be a shame to never finish

• Options
      CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
      Unfortunately the other couple we were playing pandemic legacy with split, so we still need to figure out how we're going to finish it out. We're at June or July, so it'd be a shame to never finish

Finish it. You have no idea what comes next.

• Options
      Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
      ArcSyn wrote: »
      I want to hear all about it. I can't wait for season two.

On another note, I got Catan with Seafarers to the table with my parents tonight. Much more enjoyable of a game when I try to trade and with the extra space and ships. Also, I've learned to ask for trades BEFORE you monopoly everyone into giving you the other cards you want. No one is going to trade you stone after you stole all their wheat. I don't know what I was thinking, but I nearly passed out laughing when they made fun of me for thinking they would.

Seafarers is essential content unless it's the first game with a very hesitant group.

It was originally part of the core game but they cut it due to cost

That said, by modern standards it remains dated due to the fairly unfinished occurance of turns where you can't do anything

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    • Options
      AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Best. Game. Ever.

What was your final score?
      Our team got 853.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • Options
      DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
      Legend of Andor is a fine game. Just don't expect it to be a crawl or anything. Fun adventure trying to optimize your moves.

Darkest night might also be a fun coop fantasy adventure romp to look into.

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      Athenor wrote: »

Best. Game. Ever.

Our team got 853.
      It was around 750-760. We'd have gotten the 80 bonus points if we'd only blown up that one last military base. Alas.

• Options
      PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      Fry wrote: »
      Naturally I sleeved everything, because I'm an insane person. Unfortunately, the post card sleeves I ordered for Eldritch Horror's hero/ancient one cards have a good inch of extra space up top that I'd like to cut. Scissors don't work. Would some sort of X-ACTO knife do the trick?

Obviously the solution is to buy a new game that fits the sleeves you have, and new sleeves that fit your Eldritch Horror cards. That's catching two stones with one bird!

I can't imagine not just getting FFG sleeves for their games to be sure of the fit. The normal sized stuff (destiny, xwing pilots, etc) maybe. The rest though...

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
    • Options
      CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      In my first game of Terraforming Mars, my girlfriend fucked me into the red sand. This game is excellent but I can't help but feel like if you dont get early engine cards in the beginning youre in big trouble.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • Options
      Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
      Boardgames with some old friends who are set in their ways and firmly on the casual end

Let's hope I can negotiate out of a zombicide and poker double header

• Options
      SolarSolar Registered User regular
      Hey guys, just a bit of news from the Outlaws kickstarter my friend's company is doing

There's been some comments about how the majority of the characters are male, both here and elsewhere. I did feed that back to him, and in the KS one of the stretch goals (which has now been reached!) is an alternate governor card which is a female character.

21767915_916853138466390_1572629647018684874_n.jpg?oh=fd965e34636fabb567209c1b91f47193&oe=5A410C0A

Thought I'd let you guys know as it was an (understandable, IMO) barrier to some people wanting to support the game and I think that it does show the guys publishing it are willing to listen, take feedback and act on it

• Options
      Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
      Cantido wrote: »
      Dracil wrote: »
      Ah_Pook wrote: »
      hey any of yall want to play the TTA app online games? my user name on there is Ah_Pook, i havent messed with the online thus far but i feel like thats a thing that should happen

Sure, name is Dracil on there. I would recommend doing at least medium Async or faster. The more people are playing the more leeway we get too. Digital or Tabletop rules are both fine with me.

I just added you both. I go by Sunsinger.

@Dracil @Cantido I made a game with reserved slots for y'all, let's play a game

• Options
      VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
      Solar wrote: »
      Hey guys, just a bit of news from the Outlaws kickstarter my friend's company is doing

There's been some comments about how the majority of the characters are male, both here and elsewhere. I did feed that back to him, and in the KS one of the stretch goals (which has now been reached!) is an alternate governor card which is a female character.

Thought I'd let you guys know as it was an (understandable, IMO) barrier to some people wanting to support the game and I think that it does show the guys publishing it are willing to listen, take feedback and act on it

Just to clarify... what was the "barrier" here, the lack of female character(s) or the inclusion of the stretch goal? Because with gamers that could really go either way.

Athenor wrote: »

Best. Game. Ever.

Our team got 853.
      It was around 750-760. We'd have gotten the 80 bonus points if we'd only blown up that one last military base. Alas.

I am so mad that my team's score was kept out of the highest bracket because of that exact same thing.

• Options
      edited September 2017
      In hindsight, it's a goal I should have seen coming. We knew those, in the end, were bad guys.
      At that point, the last one wasn't in the way so we didn't take the effort. I am proud of what we did accomplish though. We finished every search party the game it came out.

CaptainPeacock on
    • Options
      AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
      edited September 2017
      @Dashui You mentioned Near & Far, but despite really wanting to like it my group was not pleased. As a storytelling game it's pretty mediocre, and as a worker placement game it's pretty boring. Mashing the two genres together didn't do nearly as much for me as I was hoping. I think you'll get a lot more out of playing Arabian Nights for story and one of the many excellent worker games out there for that.

To be fair I didn't play the new game by the Near & Far people, so maybe they improved in that one. But Near & Far is like Cowfish, a burger/sushi restaurant I ate at last week: two mediocre dishes in the same place, wowing fans of neither and only a decent choice for groups who can't agree on what to eat/play.

Edit: Actually I've played Above & Below, not Near & Far. Sorry for the confusion.

Astaereth on
      ACsTqqK.jpg
    • Options
      antheremantherem Registered User regular
      Had an out of towner come in last night with Knowledge of New Games!

Magic Maze was a riot and we ended up drawing a crowd. The "you can only communicate by emphatically moving the pawn" thing is fun and different. If you're someone whose only superpower is "move south" though, feels like you don't get to do much.

Also finally got to play my copy of Spirit Island and once you get past the Wall Of Rules it starts to click, I think I would have made better power choices if I'd understood the value of some things earlier though. Looking forward to being able to play this more often.

• Options
      CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      hey any of yall want to play the TTA app online games? my user name on there is Ah_Pook, i havent messed with the online thus far but i feel like thats a thing that should happen

Sure, name is Dracil on there. I would recommend doing at least medium Async or faster. The more people are playing the more leeway we get too. Digital or Tabletop rules are both fine with me.

@Ah_Pook I'm back now if you want to play.

Beware that when I played with my friend, it crashed between every ship building phase for at least one of us.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • Options
      WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
      Anybody have extensive Tokaido Matsuri knowledge? BGG's thread on a question wasn't conclusive:

How does Musubi the Rogue's ability kick in?

Flow #1:
      - Musubi enters the inn. If there's a neighbor before him, Musubi gets 1 coin from that guy. If there aren't anyone before him, or the earlier neighbor doesn't have money, he gets 1 coin from the bank.
      - Musubi chooses his food from the available choices.
      - If Musubi is the last one to arrive at the inn, he gets 1 coin from the bank.
      - If not, when the next guy enters the inn, he gives 1 coin to Musubi.
      - That guy chooses his food from the choices (a harder choice, being 1 coin poorer).

Flow #2:
      - Everyone enters the inn and chooses a meal as normal.
      - After everyone has eaten, Musubi gets 1 coin each from his neighbors, or if he is first or last, or his neighbor doesn't have any money, gets 1 coin from the bank.

• Options
      AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
      Anybody have extensive Tokaido Matsuri knowledge? BGG's thread on a question wasn't conclusive:

Flow #1:
      - Musubi enters the inn. If there's a neighbor before him, Musubi gets 1 coin from that guy. If there aren't anyone before him, or the earlier neighbor doesn't have money, he gets 1 coin from the bank.
      - That guy chooses his food from the choices (a harder choice, being 1 coin poorer).

Flow #2:
      - After everyone has eaten, Musubi gets 1 coin each from his neighbors, or if he is first or last, or his neighbor doesn't have any money, gets 1 coin from the bank.
      Ok so the rules do not stipulate when he steals from his neighbours, so you will have to houserule this. My take on Tokaido is that one should always go for the tamest version of the rules. Otherwise some characters become even stronger in comparison with others*. So Musubi would steal after everyone has bought their meals.

Perhaps consider this: the rogue will only dochis dirty deed when it is dark and everyone went to bed.

*already a problem with some characters. Like Titia is utterly useless unless she can play 100% to her strengths, but Kidzuna is always going to be useful regardless of what else happens during the game.

• Options
      BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
      Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
      Boardgames with some old friends who are set in their ways and firmly on the casual end

Would they be up to trying Coup? That's a fine gateway drug to harder stuff.

• Options
      DashuiDashui Registered User regular
      edited September 2017
      Astaereth wrote: »
      @Dashui You mentioned Near & Far, but despite really wanting to like it my group was not pleased. As a storytelling game it's pretty mediocre, and as a worker placement game it's pretty boring. Mashing the two genres together didn't do nearly as much for me as I was hoping. I think you'll get a lot more out of playing Arabian Nights for story and one of the many excellent worker games out there for that.

To be fair I didn't play the new game by the Near & Far people, so maybe they improved in that one. But Near & Far is like Cowfish, a burger/sushi restaurant I ate at last week: two mediocre dishes in the same place, wowing fans of neither and only a decent choice for groups who can't agree on what to eat/play.

That's what I was worried about with Near & Far. It is the latest storytelling game by them, though. Above & Below came before it. But speaking of worker placement games, I ordered Viticulture: Essential Edition. I swear, this is my last hit for awhile. I'm totally clean now, you guys. Sniff. I ain't no hard addict!

My Concordia: Britannia / Germania expansion came today, too. I'm a little disappointed the board just came wrapped in a thin piece of plastic wrap, but it does fit inside Concordia's base box at least. I'm going to play a game on the Britannia map today and see for myself how much it improves the two-player experience.

Dashui on
      Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    • Options
      TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
      Recommendation wanted: 2 player Halloween / spooky themed games, that aren't Cthulhu (already have Elder Sign and Arkham LCG). My girlfriend *loves* Halloween. Some combination of fast / easy / cute would also be good, but plays well with just two people is the big thing. No preference between coop and competitive.

• Options
      VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
      Tomanta wrote: »
      Recommendation wanted: 2 player Halloween / spooky themed games, that aren't Cthulhu (already have Elder Sign and Arkham LCG). My girlfriend *loves* Halloween. Some combination of fast / easy / cute would also be good, but plays well with just two people is the big thing. No preference between coop and competitive.

King of Tokyo/New York with the Halloween expansion is most of those things, but not ideal with 2.

Gloom might be a better fit.

• Options
      DracilDracil Registered User regular

@Ah_Pook I'm back now if you want to play.

Beware that when I played with my friend, it crashed between every ship building phase for at least one of us.

TTA also has some weird bugs actually but it's not too bad. Mostly in that it's really buggy if I use cell data. Wifi is fine for me. Apparently there's a person on the VGG forums with the opposite situation. This looks like a 24hr async game so plenty of time to get things done.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
      Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
      MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    • Options
      Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
      I left everything default I dunno. I haven't actually played a game yet heh, I played through most of the tutorial and then it crashed!

• Options
      Tomanta wrote: »

Letters from Whitechapel

• Options
      AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
      Astaereth wrote: »

That's what I was worried about with Near & Far. It is the latest storytelling game by them, though. Above & Below came before it.

Aha! Then I am speaking of Above & Below, and have not yet played Near & Far. Apologies for the error.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    • Options
      Bogart wrote: »
      Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Would they be up to trying Coup? That's a fine gateway drug to harder stuff.

Yeah I taught that last time. It went down well but two of them looked like they were in physical agony during the rules

Shockingly Homeland went down well and we kept zombicide in somebody's car boot

And then a bit of codenames

A job well done

• Options
      MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
      , my girlfriend fucked me into the red sand. .
      wait, what?

steam:maguano2
      gamertag:Maguano71
      Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
    • Options
      WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
      Aldo wrote: »

Flow #1:

Flow #2:
      Ok so the rules do not stipulate when he steals from his neighbours, so you will have to houserule this. My take on Tokaido is that one should always go for the tamest version of the rules. Otherwise some characters become even stronger in comparison with others*. So Musubi would steal after everyone has bought their meals.

Perhaps consider this: the rogue will only dochis dirty deed when it is dark and everyone went to bed.

*already a problem with some characters. Like Titia is utterly useless unless she can play 100% to her strengths, but Kidzuna is always going to be useful regardless of what else happens during the game.

I like your justification on this, I'll put forward the suggestion to the group with flow #2.

• Options
      AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
      So Eschaton was not all that disappointing after all, though not amazing (I love the idea of fishing for and then having to draw and voluntarily thin loot; the rest not so much) and I got to try the second set for Aeon's End, which takes a weird comic book-like leap down the how-powerful-are-these-guys-anyway scale but was pretty satisfying regardless.

• Options
      HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
      Massive Darkness went over very well this evening. Lots of laughs and tense moments. We had a full crew of 6 playing and it's great to have that many people... But it can drag on a bit between turns. Doesn't help that half are busy chatting about whatever at any time, but that social distraction aspect turned out to be an asset while people were waiting for the dice to come back around.
      We did quest 1... Mostly. A good number of rules clarifications and some ambiguity came into play. But we fought through and kept it going. In the end, greed was our downfall. With 6 items are pleasantly sparse, and when someone does end up looting a room, getting a free action to trade while in a zone with someone who needs an item was tough. Things started to fall apart at about the 2.5 hour mark. It was clear we were going to lose, but some wanted to fight it out. The party ended up splitting in 2 so we couldn't focus down the Earth Elemental, Reptasaurus, and 2 agents spamming mobs every turn. Though I do have to admit, I smiled with glee every time they thought it was a new round and their turn when I would blurt out "WAIT! Event card. Flipping over another advanced patrol or roaming monster.

We did manage to take down the Hellaphant. However, after that I realized he should have had 30 HP and not 5...

It was a brutal fun time. Just can grind down into a slog with a bunch of mobs and max players. Trying to remember all the skills when you're rolling is tricky too.

A++ will play again. Need to find a way to keep it moving and get better with the rules.
      MDkb1m2.jpg

kx3klFE.png
    • Options
      Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

21767915_916853138466390_1572629647018684874_n.jpg?oh=fd965e34636fabb567209c1b91f47193&oe=5A410C0A

gender equality as a stretch goal? that doesn't even make it equal?

jesus christ

• Options
      AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
      Magic Pink wrote: »

gender equality as a stretch goal? that doesn't even make it equal?

jesus christ

I was thinking about that as well, but couldnt word it concisely enough to maek poast about it.

Genuine question: they obviously made the art already, why isnt this just in the base game instead? Is there some sort of rule against it on Patreon or is the base game already at the printer or what?

• Options
      psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
      I need someone here to tell me if the Korra kickstarter is going to be a decent game or not. It looks kinda mediocre from the playthroughs I've seen, but I LOOOOVE the IP. I need help to tip me one way or the other.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
      steam_sig.png
    • Options
      Megagame today! Shadow of the Colossus. Hope I don't mess anything up.