Options

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    @rockmonkey You might also want to look into the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    hey any of yall want to play the TTA app online games? my user name on there is Ah_Pook, i havent messed with the online thus far but i feel like thats a thing that should happen

Sure, name is Dracil on there. I would recommend doing at least medium Async or faster. The more people are playing the more leeway we get too. Digital or Tabletop rules are both fine with me.

I just added you both. I go by Sunsinger.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So I played 2 games that I was kind of meh on today.

First up was Sagrada. It is an incredibly pretty game, but it was very solitaire other than screwing others in your dice choices... which got harder to do as the game goes on. Maybe we got a boring set of tools and general points, but it just felt very prone to analysis paralysis. The game definitely needs a timer...

... As does Lazer Ryderz. I really wanted to like this game, as it combined a ton of things I love into a slick package. But the rules were not written very clearly, and we played on a BIG table - which did the game no favors. It also seemed like we spent forever choosing the optimal moves. That, combined with slowdown over learning the rules, just left it feeling kind of meh. It has a ton of potential, but.. fast paced Tron it was not.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Lazer Ryderz has been fast paced Tron in my experience. But every game I've played has stayed constrained to a smaller area, and everyone I've played with has done a good job of trying to guess which move would be best for them before their turn arrives and then moving quickly when it's time. Not being able to measure out the possible moves in any way really helps with that, imo. Most players seem to hit a point of shrugging and laughing and just going with what feels right.

The rules could certainly be clearer though.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    I live near Cool Stuff's warehouse store; I can just pick stuff up and not worry about shipping. From my experience the majority of Cool Stuff staff is made up of kids who are more interested in what Magic cards their friends are pulling from the latest booster packs than they are customer service.

Also due to the hurricane their sign currently reads "Cool Stuff Gams".

Maybe it's just the times I'm there, but I don't see that happening TOO much. I can see how it would happen though.

It's kind of amazing that only the E was torn off

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I picked up the Consulting Detective expansion. Very nice production values, and hopefully no more appalling proof-reading and logical mistakes.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I watched the SUSD TI4 "documentary". It is not very interesting at all

There's no discussion of rules evolution it's just mostly slices of conversation about a few different ideas they had for the plastic and avoiding the costs running away, the difficulty of the lore not really being written down and living just in the owner's head and the art guy chatting about being unhappy about the art direction

I presume the challenge was that SUSD were hardly on site so couldn't piece together much of a narrative from the few days of shooting

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    KesterKester Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

There's no discussion of rules evolution it's just mostly slices of conversation about a few different ideas they had for the plastic and avoiding the costs running away, the difficulty of the lore not really being written down and living just in the owner's head and the art guy chatting about being unhappy about the art direction

I presume the challenge was that SUSD were hardly on site so couldn't piece together much of a narrative from the few days of shooting

I didn't take too much away from it either, apart from "TI4 was originally much more ambitious," and "There existed a TI RPG." But I think for people who didn't know about how the history of FFG is so intimately tied up with TI - which is probably most people? - it would likely be more interesting.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yeah knowing how the editions evolved and the motivations behind those changes would have been cool rather than "briefly we had an idea for a starfield projector to be included but obviously that was too expensive"

Or focus on the people having badwrongfun in the ffg okay centre with their non canon timelord races

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    The conversation should have been only this:

"Oh really? Wow, sorry about that!"

Then either:

"Our fault, you can keep it if you'd like. Would you mind letting me know the order # so I can send the product to the right person?"
    or
    "If you send it back to the return address I will refund your shipping and get you a $10 gift card for your troubles."

Finally found the order number on the box they wanted, of course it's mine because it's pretty clear they just slapped the wrong labels on the boxes so no help there and no reply in 24 hours to this "necessary information".

But they WERE putting labels on in the middle of a hurricane so I give them a pass.

edit: and now oddly enough there's ANOTHER box with the same tracking number on it's way to me which is incredibly weird. It apparently got picked up last night at 3AM and should be here tomorrow. I have no idea what's going on anymore.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    ... As does Lazer Ryderz. I really wanted to like this game, as it combined a ton of things I love into a slick package. But the rules were not written very clearly, and we played on a BIG table - which did the game no favors. It also seemed like we spent forever choosing the optimal moves. That, combined with slowdown over learning the rules, just left it feeling kind of meh. It has a ton of potential, but.. fast paced Tron it was not.

On a sufficiently large table the rules recommend everyone start with a free 5-speed placement.

I will second/third the fact that the rules are kind of a mess as presented, though. Especially since there seems to be some disagreement between the printed version and the designers' intent over whether or not you score before you crash.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Fuselage wrote: »
    The Stranger Things minis weren't super obvious to me, I just plan on using then like halflings or kids.

good, that's what they made them up as!

Then either:

"Our fault, you can keep it if you'd like. Would you mind letting me know the order # so I can send the product to the right person?"
    or
    "If you send it back to the return address I will refund your shipping and get you a $10 gift card for your troubles."

Finally found the order number on the box they wanted, of course it's mine because it's pretty clear they just slapped the wrong labels on the boxes so no help there and no reply in 24 hours to this "necessary information".

But they WERE putting labels on in the middle of a hurricane so I give them a pass.

edit: and now oddly enough there's ANOTHER box with the same tracking number on it's way to me which is incredibly weird. It apparently got picked up last night at 3AM and should be here tomorrow. I have no idea what's going on anymore.

They're shipping your totem, but because they touched it first you have no idea if your awake or dreaming.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    They heard you were running a game storage warehouse, so they figured they'd just ship you all their stock so it wouldn't get damaged by the hurricane.

• Options
    i'ma punch and bag all the things then

• Options
    Also we played This War of Mine last night. It's an AMAZING game. Easily game of the year if not the decade. Hard as hell, with a ton of variety and options for every playthrough. Also depressing as hell.

We had one event where we found a dead soldier, clutching a letter to his mother. He was worried for her and praying she was all right and as the letter went on he regressed more and more until he was wishing for his mommy. Our game options for the event? LET'S LOOT THE REST OF THE ROOM HAY HERE'S SOME VEGGIES

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular

Then either:

or

In the face of the hurricane(s), they are sending as many games as possible to the safety of your games-based micro-nation.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular

The best kind of Groundhog Day.

• Options
    Fry wrote: »

unless it's all the same lame games

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

In the comments, they mentioned that the full review will go over rules changes. That wasn't the goal of the documentary. But I'll agree, there isn't a ton of substance if you already knew all this about FFG.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

In the comments, they mentioned that the full review will go over rules changes. That wasn't the goal of the documentary. But I'll agree, there isn't a ton of substance if you already knew all this about FFG.

Yes but that will just explain what has changed from 3->4, what I was looking for was what changed and why from 1->2->3->4 and what other ideas they had but dropped for 3->4

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

unless it's all the same lame games

Think of those games as new players to play good games with.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

On a sufficiently large table the rules recommend everyone start with a free 5-speed placement.

I will second/third the fact that the rules are kind of a mess as presented, though. Especially since there seems to be some disagreement between the printed version and the designers' intent over whether or not you score before you crash.

The employees running demos at Gen Con taught that if you cross the scoring piece before the crash occurs, it does become yours.

• Options
    Also we played This War of Mine last night. It's an AMAZING game. Easily game of the year if not the decade. Hard as hell, with a ton of variety and options for every playthrough. Also depressing as hell.

We had one event where we found a dead soldier, clutching a letter to his mother. He was worried for her and praying she was all right and as the letter went on he regressed more and more until he was wishing for his mommy. Our game options for the event? LET'S LOOT THE REST OF THE ROOM HAY HERE'S SOME VEGGIES

Guess that's going on the list for games to investigate!

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options

There's a pretty amazing review of it over here by a survivor of the war depicted in the game:
    https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1816826/war-mine-review-survivor-siege-sarajevo

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The most important nugget of news in the SU&SD news letter. Rhino Hero Super Battle is finally here! Order straight in for that.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

I mean, I liked the game, but that shit is depressing. Your stats are Hunger, Illness, Wounds, and Misery, for chrissakes.

Also all three of our three PCs being defenseless women who were bad at scavenging did not endear me to the game. Would it have killed them to put in a woman that can handle herself in a fight?

Because not having one killed us.

• Options
    edited September 2017

I mean, I liked the game, but that shit is depressing. Your stats are Hunger, Illness, Wounds, and Misery, for chrissakes.

Also all three of our three PCs being defenseless women who were bad at scavenging did not endear me to the game. Would it have killed them to put in a woman that can handle herself in a fight?

there's quite a few, in fact the best one i believe is a woman, an ex-thief.

and going into a gun fight with fists is what killed us, plus a stubbornness not to give up the bandages we had just scrounged up. We had multiple ways out of that encounter if we'd wanted to make her live at all costs; fighting proficiency just gives you a few re-rolls, it wouldn't have saved her.

And it was just one person lost, we could have easily kept going it just got way late.

Magic Pink on
  • Options

and going into a gun fight with fists is what killed us, plus a stubbornness not to give up the bandages we had just scrounged up. We had multiple ways out of that; fighting proficiency just gives you a few re-rolls, it wouldn't have saved her.

And it was just one person lost, we could have easily kept going it just got way late.

I only know what I saw, hoss. We were like the cast of Jane Eyre stuck in Inglourious Basterds.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

and going into a gun fight with fists is what killed us, plus a stubbornness not to give up the bandages we had just scrounged up. We had multiple ways out of that; fighting proficiency just gives you a few re-rolls, it wouldn't have saved her.

I only know what I saw, hoss. We were like the cast of Jane Eyre stuck in Inglourious Basterds.

Pride & Prejudice & Nazis?

• Options
    GrainGrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Anyone here pick up the Through the Ages mobile app? It is absolutely amazing. Trying to get some 4 player games going. Highly recommend it if you are a fan of the boardgame.

My ingame name is Grain. Shoot me a friend invite if interested.

Grain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

White: 1721-3651-2720
  • Options
    edited September 2017

We were like the cast of Jane Eyre stuck in Inglourious Basterds.

Yes that is the point of the game.

Hell it should be the tagline on the box

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    I performed two solo runs of Terraforming Mars. I'm going to look forward to teaching this to others! The character sheet is garbage though.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I performed two solo runs of Terraforming Mars. I'm going to look forward to teaching this to others! The character sheet is garbage though.

You can play it solo? It's good?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options

We were like the cast of Jane Eyre stuck in Inglourious Basterds.

Yes that is the point of the game.

Hell it should be the tagline on the box

You just said that there were some hard mofos we could have drawn.

• Options
      TimFiji wrote: »

Meh, really, its a good way to learn the game with a low difficulty. You have a time limit of 14 rounds (Generations,) which is not difficulty, so you're supposed to play for score. This is because in any kind of play, the number of moves you can make between generations doesn't end until all players are "finished." This means a single player has every incentive to buy every card for 3 Mega Credits only to sell it back for more, and execute every action they have. I'm now better equipped to each the game to others tomorrow.

• Options

Meh, really, its a good way to learn the game with a low difficulty. You have a time limit of 14 rounds (Generations,) which is not difficulty, so you're supposed to play for score. This is because in any kind of play, the number of moves you can make between generations doesn't end until all players are "finished." This means a single player has every incentive to buy every card for 3 Mega Credits only to sell it back for more, and execute every action they have. I'm now better equipped to each the game to others tomorrow.

Ah ok. Thanks.

• Options
        Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular

Selling cards only gets you $1, I think might wanna recheck the rules. Finishing in 14 rounds is usually quite challenging in my experience. Be sure you use the Corporate Era cards and rules when playing solo. It's my favorite solo boardgame these days by a large margin.

• Options
        edited September 2017
        Ah_Pook wrote: »

Selling cards only gets you $1, I think might wanna recheck the rules. Finishing in 14 rounds is usually quite challenging in my experience. Be sure you use the Corporate Era cards and rules when playing solo. It's my favorite solo boardgame these days by a large margin.

Uh, shit.

@TimFiji The solo difficulty probably just tripled.

Cantido on
      • Options
        Haha, good news! I bought it an hour ago anyway.

• Options

There's a pretty amazing review of it over here by a survivor of the war depicted in the game:
          https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1816826/war-mine-review-survivor-siege-sarajevo

After reading this I pre-ordered the game, the new Fallout game, and the Hired Guns X-Wing expansion for an early Candlenights/Birthday present to myself.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png