As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Defenders] of the Earth

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Bakuto is hispanic.

(I was also condused at first)

I noticed that he was being played by Ramón Rodríguez, vaguely wondered if that counted as some form of [color]washing and then moved on. Between this and thinking that the guy playing Cassian in Rogue One was French, I've obviously got some weird ass gap in my ability to ID Spanish speakers.

Hispanics (especially those on the Iberian peninsula) can share a lot of common ancestry with people from North Africa and the Middle East. Historically speaking, those regions have been intertwined for over a thousand years. This happens a lot with light-skinned people from the Indian Subcontinent, as well, or Greeks/Turks. I have no idea if it's genetics or what, but it's definitely a thing and you are not alone in being confused. The underlying fact of the matter is that the assumption that there are clear physical attributes which mark where people "come from" has always been a fuzzy line, and will only increasingly be a poor assumption to make as the world grows smaller.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I thought Cassian was Indian at first.

Also [color]washing?

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Two issues with that.
    That would seem to undermine the importance of the Iron Fist. It doesn't sideline him, but his utility increases if Kun Lun has periods when it's definitely vulnerable and it decreases if the Hand (or whoever) needs some sort of metaphysical battering ram to get in.
    It also leaves the question of the two Hand bodies that they discovered when they returned to Kun Lun.

And there's the fact that
    Davos was sent to retrieve Danny.

Also, they pretty much made Madame Gao a liar instead of just someone who speaks in ways to get the other person to figure out the truth, so there's no reason to trust anything she says anyway.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Two issues with that.
    That would seem to undermine the importance of the Iron Fist. It doesn't sideline him, but his utility increases if Kun Lun has periods when it's definitely vulnerable and it decreases if the Hand (or whoever) needs some sort of metaphysical battering ram to get in.
    It also leaves the question of the two Hand bodies that they discovered when they returned to Kun Lun.

And there's the fact that
    Davos was sent to retrieve Danny.

Also, they pretty much made Madame Gao a liar instead of just someone who speaks in ways to get the other person to figure out the truth, so there's no reason to trust anything she says anyway.
    Madam Gao rarely lies*. It's only Stick that says she does. Usually she tells half truths. And this is a good example. She does not explain why the way works, just that it did

Davos was not sent for Danny. The Way opened for him while he was mad about it. He was being kicked out

*maybe you can think up a few but I can't.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
  • Options
    I don't see Gao lying there but I did legit miss that line from Davos (though I am pretty sure it contradicts other things he had said)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I suppose you could say that she didn't lie if you're really splitting hairs.
    Her line about how she may be Alexandra's only ally can be considered simply a statement rather than a lie if you take the "may be" part as meaning that it's a possibility and so there's also a possibility that she's not Alexandra's ally.

And I suppose you could say that Madame Gao didn't lie or go back on her word when she threatened to kill the girl during the martial arts tournament in Iron Fist since they didn't explicitly state all the rules of that tournament and Danny never made the safety of the girl during the tournament one of his terms for accepting.

And when she said that she was going to her homeland, which was a considerable distance farther than China, she must have meant Australia or something.

And I guess she has a different definition what a language is when she claimed she spoke all of them.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Maybe they should have had Gao say "What I told you was true, from a certain point of view."

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Finished off Iron Fist the other week, that was a slog and I was very disappointed with Finn Jones, Ward and Colleen were the best parts of the series. About a day after finishing that we jumped into Defenders and just finished it last night. Could have been coming off of the lows of Iron Fist but I really enjoyed it, it got a little meh near the end of the series, the whole thing with the Hand got muddled with what they were actually after
    I thought they were looking for a way back into Kun'Lun not more of the substance, so when Iron Moron accidentally fisted the wall **eyeroll** and it revealed it was filled with dragon bones in the end of the episode shot I was like "Oh crazy its like a back way into the dragons cave and into Kun'Lun" NOPE grind up dem dragon bones cause we getting immortal as fuck up in here... terrible.

That said I like were the show ends, I hope whomever they get for S2 Iron Fist isnt a moron, I hope Finn Jones gets better at stage fighting and get a goddamn face mask .

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Well, if they aren't complete idiots, Finn should spend half the next season
    dressed as daredevil

Still super disappointed in the last 5 seconds of Defenders. Just straight didn't need to be a thing.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    dressed as daredevil

Still super disappointed in the last 5 seconds of Defenders. Just straight didn't need to be a thing.

last 5 seconds of Defenders
    I think they should have left it ambiguous and then maybe in S2 Iron Fist make a reveal that he survived, has a season 3 Daredevil been announced?... googled yea it was so no real point of letting folks think he was dead.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    dressed as daredevil

I think they should have left it ambiguous and then maybe in S2 Iron Fist make a reveal that he survived, has a season 3 Daredevil been announced?... googled yea it was so no real point of letting folks think he was dead.

It absolutely works if
    they let Matt stay dead for a couple more minutes and end with Danny on the Daredevil Roof(tm) in the Daredevil Pose(tm) and start DD S3 with Danny in the suit.

There's always the background radiation of "it's a comic book thing of course he's not dead", but they could at least let the viewer suspend that until Matt returns dramatically in his own show.

It just felt disrespectful to the character and to the audience. Give the new reality some time to sink in before you subvert it. Just a little more courage and that arc would have had a great if temporary ending that felt earned and meaningful.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    darkmayo wrote: »
    dressed as daredevil

It absolutely works if
    they let Matt stay dead for a couple more minutes and end with Danny on the Daredevil Roof(tm) in the Daredevil Pose(tm) and start DD S3 with Danny in the suit.

There's always the background radiation of "it's a comic book thing of course he's not dead", but they could at least let the viewer suspend that until Matt returns dramatically in his own show.

It just felt disrespectful to the character and to the audience. Give the new reality some time to sink in before you subvert it. Just a little more courage and that arc would have had a great if temporary ending that felt earned and meaningful.

Yeah, that's usually the point of killing (or just depowering) a character in the comics. Everyone who's anyone comes back somehow, but the meat of the story is in between. How everyone deals with the hole in the team, who takes care of the problems only that hero did, and how the world reacts.

Basically, It's a Wonderful Life but without the person looking through the window the whole time. The impact is neutered if the guy just turns around and goes home halfway to the bridge.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Something else about why they should do this all for DDS3:
    Danny Rand actually dressed up and ran around as Daredevil for a while Matt Murdock was under suspicion of being Daredevil.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    When I found out about the goal of the Hand in New York, I was reminded of this:

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Iron Moron? Come on man, at least go for the low-hanging fruit.

Moron Fist.

Moron Fist!

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Iron Moron? Come on man, at least go for the low-hanging fruit.

Moron Fist.

Moron Fist!

"All in favor?"

"Aye"

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I just finished DD S2 and am moving on to LC. After that it's IF then Defenders, right? I hear great things about LC, but lukewarm reviews for IF. Is IF really that bad? Hard to believe based on how good DD and JJ have been.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Shrug, I find IF to be OK, myself. It's nothing great and has issues, but you'll know if you want to watch the rest in the first few episodes.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I just finished DD S2 and am moving on to LC. After that it's IF then Defenders, right? I hear great things about LC, but lukewarm reviews for IF. Is IF really that bad? Hard to believe based on how good DD and JJ have been.
    I really liked LC. IF is... let's call it uneven. There are good parts, but a lot of it isn't great. If you've got two screens nearby, it's the sort of show to have on that second monitor.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

It’s worse then you think. The only show which Marvel made that comes close to how terrible it is is Inhumans.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Opinions!

Inhumans is way worse then Iron Fist in mine.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Opinions!

Inhumans is way worse the Iron Fist in mine.

Do you prefer diarrhea or painfully large, hard-as-rock shits?

(It's a metaphor about shit because they're both shit.)

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I found IF to be a bit disappointing after the other Marvel Netflix series, but still better than the majority of shows on TV.

Inhumans really should not have been made.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    IF is a dozen hours of your life you will never get back. I strongly recommend against wasting your time, but that's just my opinion.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    If it takes you more than say 4 (and that's being generous) to work out it's not for you then you have no one to blame but yourself.

Like I said: Watch the first 2 and make a call. Or even just 1. Or half of 1...

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Who said I was blaming anyone? I'm describing the show. It was shit. I don't need to blame anyone for that but the people who made it.

• Options
    Now I've got to watch it for sure to see if it's really that bad.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    It’s not that bad. Probably better than defenders overall because the really good characters are really good and worth watching and get screen time. The best parts of these arcs and acting are also in the later half of the show.

But everything that doesn’t involve them is not good and Danny is really not good and the powers of the iron fist are really not good and Danny’s sidekick is not good. And the one time they make a really good decision(as characters and in the show) they totally wuss out on it. (And also do the really dumb “we could explain why we have to do this thing you don’t want us to do and why it’s not bad in like 5 seconds but we won’t so just trust us” shtick)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Speaking of Defenders, what's the consensus on it?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I don't think there's exactly a consensus. It's fairly mediocre.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I didn't hate Iron Fist, but it was also pretty dull, and by the end all I could really think is that they should have focused on Danny's time in K'un-Lun because that would have been more interesting than the story we got where nothing of real importance or interest happens.

There are worse ways to waste your time. I certainly didn't think my time was wasted (I binged through the series while in a hotel room). That said, if you watched 2-3 episodes and said you wanted to stop... well nobody would ever blame you.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Yeah I think the key takeaway is if you don't like it after the first two episodes, don't expect a magical uptick in quality. In some ways it gets better, and in a lot of ways it gets worse all the way through to the very end.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Defenders: heroes and interactions A+
    Villains and interactions F

So second worst Netflixverse but only mediocre, yeah.

Personal list if it helps you
    1. DDS1
    2. Jessica Jones
    3. DDS2 Punisher first half (and everything with the Punisher)
    4. The Punisher
    5. Luke Cage
    6. DDS2 Hand second half
    7. Defenders
    8. Iron Fist

I put DDS2 Pun-pun a little higher than Pun-Pun standalone since he was being my favorite type of Punisher more of the time in DDS2 where he blams worst monsters than himself.

• Options
    Speaking of Defenders, what's the consensus on it?

Takeaway: Wait? That’s in the box? You didn’t know what was in the box when you started did you?

Pro: it finishes the general Hand arc.

Cons: It’s bad in like every way and will make you like the rest of the shows less because all the good actors and arcs are criminally misused while all the bad ones are get worse.

Iron Fist: The Tradgedy of Ward Meachum (IE skip anything that doesn’t involve them) is a lot better show

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Starts promising, but loses steam quickly and ends up mediocre to bad.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The main problem with Iron Fist is Mr. Iron Fist. Finn Jones isn't a great actor (some of that could be script and director, but he's not exactly elevating anything the same way anyone on the Daredevil cast can) and he can't really fight. So you get bad fight scenes and bad non-fighting scenes.

The antagonists are actually pretty interesting, so that's not helping things since most of the time is spent on IF. The cheapness of the budget shines through a bit more than in the other series too, though that might just be because 90% of all the Netflix shows take place in poorly lit warehouses and it's getting old.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Iron Fist: The Tradgedy of Ward Meachum (IE skip anything that doesn’t involve them) is a lot better show

Oh yeah, anything with Ward is gold. I'd have been a fan of a corporate show with him as its lead. Someone needs to edit the show focusing on him - it'd probably be more enjoyable then the original Iron Fist series.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Opinions!

Inhumans is way worse the Iron Fist in mine.

Inhumans is worse than watching Galactica 1980 on the Spanish channel without subtitles and every character is dubed by the same voice actor. It's... Really hard to quatify what would be worse than an ancient and glorious civilization represented as a disused office block in a failed suburb, unless it's that and all of the characters being depowered in the first episode.

Hevach on
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Iron Fist's biggest crime was shoe-horning in Gao & Bakuto as members of the Hand instead of leaving them as their own thing, and the knock on effect that had in The Defenders. The Law of Conservation of Ninja aside, The Hand were pretty cool in Daredevil and the hole in the ground/Black Sky was a neat little mystery (Also the glimpse of Stone).

They totally shit the bed with their treatment of the Hand.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe