Options

This YouTube Thread has been removed due to a copyright claim

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    My largest issue with Jim Sterling is not his attitude or his shtick. I don't like them, but I've endured worse gimmicks for good content.

No, my issue with Jim Sterling is that once I've seen one lootbox rant, I have seen all of them. He very rarely has any new points to make, yet he seems to create another 10-minute video about the subject a couple times a week. It's just so tiring.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I must say I get the impression that even as someone who enjoys the Sterling schtick I watch fewer Sterling videos than people who hate his stinkin guts

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I believe that's also the point. All he's doing is talking about these things as they are happening, and that it is so tiring isn't his fault. It's that it keeps happening. He's acting as a watchdog with these videos.

Personally I only watch the Jimquisitions, I don't really watch his smaller videos just because yes there is some fatigue there. I don't want him to stop though.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Sterling keeps complaining about loot boxes until game companies stop putting them everywhere.
    And that's good.
    Worst thing that can be done is to just accept the status quo and be silent.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    He's only a watchdog in the sense that his audience is built at least partially on the internet outrage machine that a lot of youtube channels are built on. That's what I feel undercuts any point he does make, because he has to repeat it ad nauseum to keep a large portion of his audience riled up and engaged with his content.

Hey it keeps his lights on I guess but it isn't always the content I'm in the mood for personallly.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Sterling keeps complaining about loot boxes until game companies stop putting them everywhere.
    And that's good.
    So would actually liking lootboxes be like an unspeakable sin according to this scale then

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    There are other channels to watch.
    If i want positive messages there are dime a dozen channels providing nothing but praise about pretty much every game out there.
    Sterling points out the problems.

• Options
    The real solution to exploitative practices in the games industry is honestly a boycott not just yelling about it which is honestly a cottage industry in youtube in its own right.

• Options
    And how do you get a boycott going without pointing out problems?

• Options
    I don't reckon a Jim Sterling boycott of bad games would have an appreciable effect on the bottom line of even very small indie games, he probably only buys the one copy

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    And that's good.
    So would actually liking lootboxes be like an unspeakable sin according to this scale then

I'm fine with loot boxes so long as you can't but them with real money.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    The real solution to exploitative practices in the games industry is honestly a boycott not just yelling about it which is honestly a cottage industry in youtube in its own right.

You'd be surprised how big a difference yelling about it can make. Companies see that and assume that consumer behavior will follow. Remember these guys don't really have a way of knowing for sure that poor sales are a result of a boycott over a particular aspect of the game, they can only operate on the same information as the rest of us. I'd attribute the changes in BF2's business model primarily to the massively downvoted reddit post, which was making news and bringing EA a lot of negative attention.

• Options
    And that's good.
    what?
    People like gambling, that does not mean every game should involve gambling, and especially it does not mean that gambling should be unregulated.
    Which is exactly what loot boxes are currently.

• Options
    I mean mass organized boycotts obviously.

And I see value in someone pointing these things out for sure. I just wish it weren't so obnoxious.

• Options
    Wait

Maybe every game should involve gambling

I think we can make a lot of money here people this could be big

• Options
    I'm pretty sure ea saw an appreciable drop in day one sales and rise on refunded preorders when the stink rose on battlefront. They have that kind of data and it isn't a hard connection to make.

• Options

And I see value in someone pointing these things out for sure. I just wish it weren't so obnoxious.
    You think rest of us don't?
    Please, come up with a better way to keep this stuff in the limelight.

Sterling does not gin up fake outrage, he does not make up shit to be angry about, he points out real issues.
    Some people just don't like the tone he does it in, which sometimes seems to be bigger issue than the ones Sterling brings up.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    And that's good.

I'm fine with loot boxes so long as you can't but them with real money.

I mostly agree,
    but some games take even that too far
    and you are left with super grindy systems that diminish progression.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

Sterling does not gin up fake outrage, he does not make up shit to be angry about, he points out real issues.
    Some people just don't like the tone he does it in, which sometimes seems to be bigger issue than the ones Sterling brings up.

I think Sterling is ok, I guess, but I don't think he has nearly as much clout as some people think he does

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular

So you’re saying Jim won’t be able to reach an even wider audience without the smugness.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options

I think I'd like it more if he seemed more honest about it rather than couching it in the jokes such. To be honest I feel like he has been better about that recently with some of the jimquisitions which I watch every week btw. I am a fan of his that's why I'm criticizing him.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    There are a lot of questions being asked in the YouTube thread. But let's not not forget the most important question:

https://youtu.be/cFvL4HLV1vw
    Is it Worth It?!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    There are a lot of questions being asked in the YouTube thread. But let's not not forget the most important question:

https://youtu.be/cFvL4HLV1vw
    Is it Worth It?!

no

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I just can't handle any persona that involves looking like a youtube atheist fell through a Hot Topic.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Jim Sterling is currently dressed in spandex. He's Gold Dust Ster Dust.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Jim Sterling is currently dressed in spandex. He's Gold Dust Ster Dust.

Are those a popular item in hot topic?

• Options
    I don't know what the kids are into these days, but if skintight spandex is it, I fear for our future.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Glam is coming back.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I think kids are into edible meat-based clothes these days

Not regular meat, it's that meat you grow in a Petri dish

Hobnail on

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I think Sterling is ok, I guess, but I don't think he has nearly as much clout as some people think he does

I looked it up, he only has ~600k Youtube subscribers.

He does have his own (fairly busy) website though, and his Patreon is currently raking in over $13k/month.

So he does have a lot of support even if his sub numbers on Youtube don't necessarily reflect that.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    13k a month is pretty good for screaming into a microphone a few times a week.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Not sure that's a fair description of what Sterlings job entails.
    Costuming, researching, writing, recording, editing, etc...

• Options
    oh that's right

he dresses up before the screaming and then records and edits it

also reads polygon and kotaku, probably every day, taking furious notes like "something something lootboxes"

I'm not knocking it, sounds like a hard gig

• Options
    He's more of an aggregator, he gathers various forum posts and news articles and puts them into an easy to watch video. (ymmv on "easy to watch"0

• Options
    Yes, i'm sure anyone among us could do his job.

• Options
    I have a lot of credit in the "I bet anyone could that job bank" so don't even try it.

• Options
    The only reason I don't make thirteen thousand American dollars a month for screaming into a microphone is that I have too much self respect and dignity

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yes, i'm sure anyone among us could do his job.

Well I mean I already mentioned his website, and he does podcasts and other videos besides the Jimquisition, and he still reviews games too. I'm willing to bet he puts in a lot of hours every week.

• Options
    I'm sure, in all seriousness, that he works very hard and deserves to make good money, but if you think I'm going to pass up an opportunity to make fun of the guy who thinks it's funny to dress up as a cartoon nazi and shout about video games you're out of your fucking mind.

This discussion has been closed.