As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] In The Mountain

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    DK is he the owner or just the manager?

Owner

Oof.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    when i pointed out my landlord doing something illegal in court the judge said landlords have no responsibility to know the law and then gave the landlord the money he asked for on the basis of "he's asking for less money than landlords usually do"

override367 on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

Owner

Going to 100% say it's time to leave.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    5d77957u6ufv.jpg

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    The King in the Mountain, also known as the Burgertrückking in German, is the recurring myth of a Legendary Hero currently asleep, often in a garage created out of a cavern inside a mountain. When needed, he will awake and drive his sick monster truck, crushing the flimsy aluminum bodies of his enemies' vehicles under his massive royal tires, to deliver burgs unto the oppressed peoples.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Maybe record the next conversation on video or audio, but check to make sure that's legal in your state. So you have documentation of him refusing to let you prove him wrong when he calls you a liar.

I don't think it's worth it to get into any sort of stuff like this.

Use e-mail if you have to and get written documentation. It doesn't seem like meeting in person has been productive at all. It's impossible to live happily in a place when you're at odds with management. I'm not saying you should always cut and run but I can't see any amicable resolution short of a change in management.

I could just be overly cautious or something.

Yeah, avoid any in person contact at this point, email is gonna be better, plus it's automatically documented. But if you're concerned and can do it, a recording of a possible conversation might not hurt. Probably overkill though.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Owner

Going to 100% say it's time to leave.

Oh yeah, it's time to leave. Based on DK's post that guy may have some paranoia issues to deal with. Or just straight up homophobia. Not a good combo.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    The King in the Mountain, also known as the Burgertrückking in German, is the recurring myth of a Legendary Hero currently asleep, often in a garage created out of a cavern inside a mountain. When needed, he will awake and drive his sick monster truck, crushing the flimsy aluminum bodies of his enemies' vehicles under his massive royal tires, to deliver burgs unto the oppressed peoples.

Burger Trucking.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Also the guy who plays Sarek is not good

So far Star Trek is off to an uneven start

• Options
    edited September 2017
    so the most important thing to remember is: the law doesn't mean anything, it comes entirely down to how confident you are that you can roll a high persuasion roll with a judge

you are now a lawyer in the state of Wisconsin after having read this

override367 on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    5d77957u6ufv.jpg

Fat corgis are hilarious, I mean sure health problems, and like ok health problems. But when they roll over with their wee little legs and want a big belly rub its hard to think of the early onset diabetes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Why would I want the King in the Mountain, when I can bring The Mountain.

54d430aac17b5_-_gregor-y2kv09-clegane-large_new.jpg

Something something Tea

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »

and oh how the truckasaurus did wreak havoc upon the people of the village
    but then with a mighty roar did bigfoot awake, furiously spinning his 120in industrial tires

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I don't see missing posters a lot but online newspapers serve the same purpose

I can't remember anyone being found alive after a couple of days and after a couple of days the reports of the search effort, without ever actually saying so, starts to make it apparent that a body and not a person is what is actually being searched for

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Uber has shut down Xchange Leasing, a money-losing subsidiary launched two years ago to directly lease vehicles to drivers on its ride-hailing network.
    Uber, which has been contemplating a sale of the auto-leasing business, said Wednesday it was closing Xchange Leasing, the Wall Street Journal first reported. An Uber confirmed to Fortune it was shuttering the subsidiary that employs about 500 people.

"We have decided to stop operating Xchange Leasing and move towards a less capital-intensive approach,” an Uber spokesman said in an email sent to Fortune.
    Xchange Leasing, which has about 40,000 vehicles and 14 showrooms in the United States, turned out to be a bigger money loser than expected.
    Uber began winding down the business this summer after learning that losses were $9,000 per car on average, steeply above the previous estimates of around $500 per car, the WSJ reported in August. That's 18 times steeper losses than expected.

Jesus Uber. Did you not expect that leasing cars to Uber drivers might result in vehicles with disproportionately high milage?

What's crazy is they were losing money while charging exorbitant lease rates. Like everyone got fucked on it.

Yeah, Uber is just such a special snowflake in so many ways.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Even with the clunky exposition I liked ST:D 1 (what an unfortunate acronym), and Ep 2 more

The series is actually pretty good so far

I thought the scene on the planet was clunky, but I really really liked the first scenes on the bridge up until things got super intense actiony for the remaining 75 minutes. The characters felt fun and Star Treky and I'd have been happy with them just going on episodic adventures in space with very little drama and almost no stakes whatsoever, TNG style.

I want to get to know the lady with a robot head.

I read this initially as "I just want to get with the lady with a robot head" and I was confused and then in agreement

but I also agree with the thing you actually wrote

Then we're all in agreement on all counts.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    so the most important thing to remember is: the law doesn't mean anything, it comes entirely down to how confident you are that you can roll a high persuasion roll with a judge

you are now a lawyer in the state of Wisconsin after having read this

My only experience in front of a judge was after my arrest for that 'failure to report / failure to remain' when I arrived at the court at the specified date and time, and the prosecutor fumbled with some papers for a while until she admitted, in front of the judge, that she didn't appear to have a file on me.

The judge then make the prosecutor apologize to me personally for wasting my time and informed me that, unless charges were refiled in the next 6 weeks, I was free to go on my merry way and not expect any further communications from the court or the prosecutor's office.

I then brushed the dirt off my shoulders and strolled back out of the courtroom.

What I learned from that experience is: the luck of the narwhal is real, and it's capricious, and it's very funny.

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    I'm interested in what the manager thinks you were pouring water over the floor to accomplish in the first place, let alone lie about it.

Is there some sort of slip n slide fetish in your neighborhood?

I SUSPECT he is being homophobic and thinks its some kind of butt thing. He has given a few scenarios like "maybe you are showering without a shower curtain", "maybe you are using the shower head outside of the shower" and "maybe you got really drunk and passed out on the toilet". The last one just seemed like a outright insult for no reason since I don't see how it could have caused any of this.

He's a real fuckin dick and he is evangelical christian unshakable faith certain that we are pouring water all over the floor in some sort of gay sex orgy ritual.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Henry told me this morning he's not happy he's having a sister. He told me, when she comes out, she needs to eat a lot of food, so she'll grow up to be a big boy. I told him, that's not exactly how it works. He said yes it is, he eats a lot of food, and he grew up to be a big boy.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Someone on facebook posted a nice message about wanting to know who owned a small business because they're gonna try to buy all their christmas gifts from their friends' small businesses this year. The first and only reply so far is someone dropping their Scentsy link. (Scentsy being a multi-level marketing corporation that sells wax warmers and scent stuff and is closer to a cutco knife selling person than "owning a small business").

• Options
    Henry told me this morning he's not happy he's having a sister. He told me, when she comes out, she needs to eat a lot of food, so she'll grow up to be a big boy. I told him, that's not exactly how it works. He said yes it is, he eats a lot of food, and he grew up to be a big boy.

QED

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Well he's got the science education of an elected official. Good job Matt.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'm interested in what the manager thinks you were pouring water over the floor to accomplish in the first place, let alone lie about it.

I SUSPECT he is being homophobic and thinks its some kind of butt thing. He has given a few scenarios like "maybe you are showering without a shower curtain", "maybe you are using the shower head outside of the shower" and "maybe you got really drunk and passed out on the toilet". The last one just seemed like a outright insult for no reason since I don't see how it could have caused any of this.

He's a real fuckin dick and he is evangelical christian unshakable faith certain that we are pouring water all over the floor in some sort of gay sex orgy ritual.

but i mean you'd clean it up

doesn't he know gays are neat and tidy?

• Options
    We had water come pouring out of the vent in our bathroom and splash down on the bathroom counter, as if someone had poured a bucket of water out and when they finally sent maintenance to check, we were told the people upstairs overflowed the toilet and not to worry about it.

But if water can go from their overflowed toilet directly into my vents...I'm kinda worried about it? Also gross, oh god so gross

No one accused of being a liar or being told they'd have to pay for it though.

That's a health hazard wtf, ew

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I thought that guy Bilbo's friend was king in the mountain. He won't like these pretenders coming around.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    So I'll be moving out of my apartment in about a month, just 8 months after moving in. I'm moving out not because I am being evicted, but because I cannot stomach another confrontation with the landlord in my apartment building. Here's a "brief" timeline.

February 14th: Move in. Apartment is real nice if inefficient with its layout. I am pleased with the cost and location.

February 20th: My boyfriend buys me a portable bidet toilet seat as a late birthday gift and installs it. I love this thing. The installation consists of turning off water to the toilet by turning the little handle near the floor, unscrewing the hookup for the toilet tank, screwing on a little plastic T connection, attaching the tank and the bidet to the T, and turning back on the water. Took a few minutes and required no tools. We followed all directions and put down some absorbant cloths to check for leaks in the supply line. The gaskets were good and there weren't any leaks after a week.

March 4th: I am showering when I hear a knock at the door. It's my boyfriend saying there's a leak coming from our bathroom and running into the apartment downstairs. I quickly finish my shower and come out and let the landlord in to inspect. The floor is dry, the toilet was dry, they suspect the shower (since it was running at the time) and run it for a while. I check the bidet and all its parts are dry.

April: There's another leak downstairs, we let the landlord in and he looks around and finds nothing. Nobody was in the bathroom at the time. He pokes around.

May: My parents go away for the weekend and ask if I can watch the dog. My apartment building is dog-friendly and I've told the landlord in the past that I might dogsit from time to time. They were fine with this. Landlord sees and asks about dog, I explain the situation, they say it's ok.

June: There's another leak, this time we aren't home, we had just left to go visit my parents. I tell the landlord to let himself in and do whatever he needs to figure this thing out. I don't hear anything. While visiting my parents, we talked about how great it was to watch the dog for the weekend. Maybe we could share the dog, having him live with me some of the time. They agree and say it would be convenient if I took him right away for the next few days. I agree and plan to ask the landlord about a more semi-permanent arrangement for the dog, and amending the lease. But if he refuses, no big deal, the dog goes back with my mom.

I get back to my apartment and the landlord is waiting there for me. He barges into my apartment without letting me get a word in and says we need to talk. He says that it's the bidet "THAT- THAT- THAT... THING" causing the leaks. He says I am in violation of my lease by installing it and he has a mind to put me on the hook for damages. I say the bidet is located on top of the toilet, it's all external, the only place it could leak would be all over the bathroom floor and we'd been looking for that. I would have told him immediately if there had been any issue with it.

He accuses me of hiding it when he visited previously. I say no, of course I haven't hidden it, it's been right there the entire time. He asks when it was installed, I tell him shortly after moving in. I say I'll remove it right away if he wants. He's furious and chews me out for a while and exaggerates what we had done to install the bidet, claiming we also changed the shutoff for the toilet. I said we did not. He refuses to accept this. He says if there's another leak, we're out of the building. I ask if he is threatening eviction and he looks stunned for a second and then revises and says he'd ask us to leave.

Then he sees the dog and goes ballistic. "I KNEW YOU WERE LYING ABOUT THE DOG" he says and sticks a finger right in my face. I said no, he was just visiting again from my parents but I would like to talk to him adding the dog to the lease and keeping him more often. He agrees to that (he really loves dogs) and finally leaves. We uninstall the bidet immediately and check for leaks on the hoses again. Landlord leaves for a summer-long vacation. I am sad and bidet-less.

September 27th: I get home from work see the landlord outside, just back from the vacation. He starts screaming at me before I get to the door. There was another leak in the apartment below. I ask when it was, trying to think if there was ANYTHING that could have caused it. It was on a normal Sunday when we were home and there's nothing of note. He accuses me of putting the bidet back. I said I had not. He says I'm a liar and I ask if he would like to check and he refuses. He says I have been causing the leaks on purpose by pouring water all over the floor, cleaning it up, and lying to him. I am a liar. I lied about hiding the bidet and I lied about the dog and I am lying to him now. The leaks are to stop right now.

I look at him totally exasperated and say that I am not lying, I'm not causing the leaks. There's no water in the bathroom, we don't do anything unusual in there. I disagree with his assessment that I am a liar. He yells unproductively for about 15 more minutes, refuses to get a plumber, refuses to believe that anything could possibly be going on, says if it happens again, there will be "trouble".

I tell him that's it. I'm tired of this. We're doing nothing wrong and I am done living here. I'd like to break the lease as soon as possible. He says give 2 months notice and he'll do it. I say fine and write up the paperwork.

That night I am real mad and go into the bathroom and hunt for water. Everything is dry. I eventually notice that a paper towel under the plunger is wet on one corner near the toilet but the plunger hadn't been used in forever. I slide the paper towel UNDER the body of the toilet and it immediately sucks up a ton of water. I grab a roll of paper towels and slide sheets under one at a time until there's no more water. Then I slide a dry sheet under and wait a few minutes. Nothing. I give the toilet a flush. Instantly the paper towel begins sucking water up from under the toilet. I took a video of this process.

Fucking... are you goddamned shitting me. This fucking incompetent asshole landlord...

I'm still moving out. I'm absolutely done with this lunatic. I don't care if he was doing this on purpose to chase me out because he is homophobic or hates me. I simply don't care. I am gone ASAP. I'm sick over the expense and hassle of moving again but I see no other choice.

What do I even do? Do I tell him? Do I just keep it to myself? It's prolly gonna spill over and leak again before the last two months are up because there's something clearly broken here. But this asshole is so terrible I feel like just talking to him digs a deeper and deeper hole. I'm not relishing the thought of being accused of causing this too. I think a lot of the things he has done are savvy. Refusing to inspect the bathroom means it's our word vs his in any sort of dispute for the security deposit, which at this point I assume I'd need a lawyer to get back.

Ugh, I don't want to deal with any of this. Also my dog has an ear infection and I need to find him a vet.
    FUZZY CUMULONIMBUS CLOUD ATTORNEY AT LAWWWW
    I am not an attorney but I do have enough hatred for renting and landlords to power a thousand suns.

1) Under no circumstances should you admit that it was your fault or that you knew about the toilet.

2) Depending on the landlord, they might have an attorney on retainer, but a lot don't. When it comes time to close out the apartment and get your security deposit, send a registered letter with a stock demand for itemization and proof of receipt for any expenses that are deducted from your deposit. Include a clause that reminds him that infrastructure based damages and normal wear and tear are in fact the financial responsibility of the landlord and not the tenant. He owns the building. Not you.

3) It really is his responsibility to get a fucking plumber and figure the issue out.

4) You can call the police on your landlord and change the locks if you really want to.

5) Eviction takes a long time and he can't just throw you out.

6) Hard to ever tell if someone is being homophobic or not but I would guess he is probably giving you a hard time.

7) Be careful breaking your lease and make sure you aren't getting screwed.

Also, HUGS.

um.

please take extreme caution with the bolded advice is all I'm gonna say here.
    I agree but if you are rented an apartment you are legally allowed to change the locks.

Rather than just claiming this universally I think it might be better to point DK to which law you are referring to. If you are not referring to a law I'd, again, urge extreme caution in advising people this way.
    Fair point.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Why would I want the King in the Mountain, when I can bring The Mountain.

54d430aac17b5_-_gregor-y2kv09-clegane-large_new.jpg

The best private investigator this side of Westeros

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I thought that guy Bilbo's friend was king in the mountain. He won't like these pretenders coming around.

Bilbo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    when i pointed out my landlord doing something illegal in court the judge said landlords have no responsibility to know the law and then gave the landlord the money he asked for on the basis of "he's asking for less money than landlords usually do"

was this before or after lunch

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Someone on facebook posted a nice message about wanting to know who owned a small business because they're gonna try to buy all their christmas gifts from their friends' small businesses this year. The first and only reply so far is someone dropping their Scentsy link. (Scentsy being a multi-level marketing corporation that sells wax warmers and scent stuff and is closer to a cutco knife selling person than "owning a small business").

the number of my friends that apparently do these pyramid scheme sales things these days is astonishing

like we all know better

what the hell get a real job

• Options

Well if you're not might as well start.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

oh my god it all makes sense now

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    My deepest desire is for me to move out and the toilet remain broken and it causes major structural damage and he faces an enormous financial penalty and the building is condemned and he loses all of his retirement.

• Options
    DK IGNORE ALL MY ADVICE
    hth

• Options
    We had water come pouring out of the vent in our bathroom and splash down on the bathroom counter, as if someone had poured a bucket of water out and when they finally sent maintenance to check, we were told the people upstairs overflowed the toilet and not to worry about it.

But if water can go from their overflowed toilet directly into my vents...I'm kinda worried about it? Also gross, oh god so gross

No one accused of being a liar or being told they'd have to pay for it though.

That's a health hazard wtf, ew

Nothing I can really do though, except keep trying to buy a home, eventually.

• Options
    Honk wrote: »

shouldn't have gone to sleep i guess

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

This is apparently wildly important in lower courts especially. Which is just the best in the worst possible ways.

• Options
    DK IGNORE ALL MY ADVICE
    hth

It's too late, I've already called the police, changed my locks, and deducted the security deposit illegally from my last month's rent.

• Options
    I am dreading the inevitable communique with our last rental company. They never provided us with a checkout procedure or a checkin procedure so we definitely just kind of left?

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

Tell him it was the gay porn shower scenes, now that you remind him. The curtain can't function with the film crew in the way. Also the building is now famous for being in so many porns. Then just say gay porn a few dozen more times.

This discussion has been closed.