As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] In The Mountain

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Being completely reliant on an opaque third party for your business seems like a bad idea, even if it were a better organization than Youtube.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    vet ranch has been talking about their videos being demonetized because they feature graphic surgery. he wants them to be educational and informative for prospective vets and what he's started trying now is just making a separate, explicit version which is more work for him but may be a decent alternative i guess.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I think the big problem for youtube content creators and that they sort of rely on one another to generate views. Those dumb thumbnails ya know?

Hey check out this one still of a girl in a bikini

Watch my shitty videoooooooo

I mean, make fun of it if you want, but it works

horny teenagers are a demo that advertisers will market to

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Also, and to be super duper clear.

Unless youtube is actually paying these people in particular for their content (the ones most impacted by this are the ones purposefully trying to to be paid by youtube) there is ZERO way they could be seen as employees.

I argue even the ones with monetization are not employees of Google any more than EA is an employee of apple because they put FIFA on the iOS App Store.

You are putting products on their marketplace, the marketplace is allowed to decide what to do with those products. If you do not like the terms, offer your products on another marketplace.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    uuugh an elgato is like 150 bucks. Why are analog capture things super cheap and HDMI is super expensive

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    i have a friend whos pay was cut to like $8 an hour and ~15 hours of OT added, so that basically the paychecks stay the exact same size but they work a lot more

abolish

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Is there a term for early-ish incentives meant to get people on board with a product or service that are not depicted as temporary offers but as just part of how the service works normally before they start taking away the incentives?

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »

Unless youtube is actually paying these people in particular for their content (the ones most impacted by this are the ones purposefully trying to to be paid by youtube) there is ZERO way they could be seen as employees.

I argue even the ones with monetization are not employees of Google any more than EA is an employee of apple because they put FIFA on the iOS App Store.

You are putting products on their marketplace, the marketplace is allowed to decide what to do with those products. If you do not like the terms, offer your products on another marketplace.

I feel like you're missing the point.

They did like the terms. YouTube changed the terms without notifying anyone and with no warning. That sucks and erodes trust in them as a platform. They also need the people who are putting those products out, or else there's no point to the marketplace.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2017
    Being completely reliant on an opaque third party for your business seems like a bad idea, even if it were a better organization than Youtube.

Yes, this is the heart of it.

If your business was reliant 100% on the good graces of someone offering something fairly expensive that provides you a bunch of exposure for free, and you didn't have a plan B in the wings... that's a big deal.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Going to Disneyland/Universal for the honeymoon. Fiancee insisted on a whole day for Harry Potter stuff and I balked. We compromised and are spending a whole day on Harry Potter stuff, but I'm going to loudly ask "Is he a Gandalf" every time we see a character.

I recommend doing both Disneyland and California Adventure. Also if you have time Knotts Berry farm is pretty fun/cute, although I haven't been there in a while.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i have a friend whos pay was cut to like $8 an hour and ~15 hours of OT added, so that basically the paychecks stay the exact same size but they work a lot more

abolish

is that even legal?

i mean i know lolwisconsin and all but

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Is there a term for early-ish incentives meant to get people on board with a product or service that are not depicted as temporary offers but as just part of how the service works normally before they start taking away the incentives?

bait and switch?

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Going to Disneyland/Universal for the honeymoon. Fiancee insisted on a whole day for Harry Potter stuff and I balked. We compromised and are spending a whole day on Harry Potter stuff, but I'm going to loudly ask "Is he a Gandalf" every time we see a character.

I recommend doing both Disneyland and California Adventure. Also if you have time Knotts Berry farm is pretty fun/cute, although I haven't been there in a while.

Yeah we'll be around there for 8 days. Last time I was in the area California Adventure was an endless dirt field so it should be interesting.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Also

Independent contractors, not employees, even if you buy the argument

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »

abolish

is that even legal?

i mean i know lolwisconsin and all but

im pretty sure in wisconsin its legal to force your employees to come home with you and stand around in slave tunics waiting for your orders

• Options

Yeah we'll be around there for 8 days. Last time I was in the area California Adventure was an endless dirt field so it should be interesting.

It's almost a bummer you didn't get to experience it pre-2012 because its a widely different park than it was then.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    @credeiki any suggestions for programs to use to make cryo em structures look pretty?

• Options

Yes, this is the heart of it.

If your business was reliant 100% on the good graces of someone offering something fairly expensive that provides you a bunch of exposure for free, and you didn't have a plan B in the wings... that's a big deal.

A couple months ago NPR ran a story on these people who were all frustrated because Facebook kept deleting the meme/advertisement pages they ran for a living.

Like, what do you expect is going to happen?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    One million views will pay you, roughly (very roughly it can vary a lot due to factors not in your control at all) three hundred dollars. Or way more or way less, there is nothing approaching a regular $ per paid view (those that don't skip)

Few videos have a million views.

Living as a youtube creator seems awful because you genuinely have no idea how much money is coming next month.

and that's without sudden demonetization

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    "I can't believe we have to introduce a bill like this, but multiple Trump cabinet officials apparently believe taxpayer funds can be used for personal travel benefits. This culture of corruption in the Trump Administration must stop. Secretaries Price and Mnuchin, and Administrator Pruitt owe the American people an apology, and they should pay back the costs of their luxury travel on the taxpayer's dime. Since Secretary Price's actions are so egregious, he should resign immediately. The Trump Administration has already enlarged the swamp, but the tremendous disrespect shown to taxpayers by these senior officials is ridiculous. SAD!"

*thumbs up*

• Options
    edited September 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »

They did like the terms. YouTube changed the terms without notifying anyone and with no warning. That sucks and erodes trust in them as a platform. They also need the people who are putting those products out, or else there's no point to the marketplace.

And I would argue that the major networks, music videos, movie trailers, movie rentals, and all the other channels who are happy using YouTube as a monetization channel are more than enough for them to be doing this.

I doubt they are in the business of self-harm. They just do not want people using their shit for free to the tune of millions of views and external methods of making money.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

"Stop Waste and Misuse by Presidential Flyers Landing Yet Evading Rules and Standards"

Yikes.

Congressman Ted Lieu:
    "I can't believe we have to introduce a bill like this, but multiple Trump cabinet officials apparently believe taxpayer funds can be used for personal travel benefits. This culture of corruption in the Trump Administration must stop. Secretaries Price and Mnuchin, and Administrator Pruitt owe the American people an apology, and they should pay back the costs of their luxury travel on the taxpayer's dime. Since Secretary Price's actions are so egregious, he should resign immediately. The Trump Administration has already enlarged the swamp, but the tremendous disrespect shown to taxpayers by these senior officials is ridiculous. SAD!"

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    RMS Oceanic help i am confused

aren't some of those people real ;-;

Most of them. What's the problem?

For a negative example, early Christians thought the Emperor Nero wasn't really dead, he was just biding his time. That's where 666 comes from, Jewish Numerology used to encode his name as a warning.

I suppose being a myth isn't mutually exclusive to being real.

i don't know i'm lost in pedantry.

The myth is that they're not dead

Like the myth of Saint Patrick driving out the snakes from Ireland

@RMS Oceanic

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

steam_sig.png
  • Options

It's almost a bummer you didn't get to experience it pre-2012 because its a widely different park than it was then.

I was there in 4th grade which would have been....1999?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I mean it is a true fact that when the Ford Motor company adopted the 8 hour day along with higher pay, it was a very significant event because a lot of competitors saw that it actually made them better but come on

No they didn't. GM didn't adopt it till 11 years later, and only then after being on the receiving end of a strike. Same with Chrysler and a few other auto manufacturers.

Well, I mean, that's speedy, since it had already been a hundred years :P

but yes I rephrase it to "competitors saw that it did not kill them and thus weren't as afraid of losing that battle as they were of death"

Not really. The other automakers fought the change hard. Ford making the change didn't seem to impact their feelings on it at all. They handled the strikes the same, gave the same answers to union negotiators as prior to Ford's change. There isn't any evidence that they looked at what Ford was doing and thought it might not be awful, they continued to fight just as hard.

• Options
    One million views will pay you, roughly (very roughly it can vary a lot due to factors not in your control at all) three hundred dollars. Or way more or way less, there is nothing approaching a regular $ per paid view (those that don't skip)

Living as a youtube creator seems awful because you genuinely have no idea how much money is coming next month.

the best youtube content creators are the ones who are consistent, put out a ton of content, and put in the hard work to generate new fans. That way even as your new popular video trails off you have 300-400 videos in the backlog that people are crawling through as they discover your channel.

Plus, you sell merch if you get big enough, or run a patreon along with the ads.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

Let me know if you want a list of shit to do and places to eat in LA

I like to ART
  • Options
    everyone always asks me how big my apartment is when they hear me $rent and I dont know because I never ask

I have a box that's large enough for a bed and a computer is more needed

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    i think the youtube problem is not that there are alternative options it's that youtube is so ubiquitous

when's the last time someone linked you a vimeo and you weren't just like

ew gross you might as well ask me to bing something you cretin

what, all the time

like any other example but vimeo

vimeo is where the gorgeous shit lives

youtube is talking heads and fail compilations

abdhy just go with the joke come on man

you talk shit about my baby and you expect me to just haha along with you?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    i think the youtube problem is not that there are alternative options it's that youtube is so ubiquitous

when's the last time someone linked you a vimeo and you weren't just like

ew gross you might as well ask me to bing something you cretin

what, all the time

like any other example but vimeo

vimeo is where the gorgeous shit lives

youtube is talking heads and fail compilations

abdhy just go with the joke come on man

you talk shit about my baby and you expect me to just haha along with you?

fair

i apologize

• Options

the best youtube content creators are the ones who are consistent, put out a ton of content, and put in the hard work to generate new fans. That way even as your new popular video trails off you have 300-400 videos in the backlog that people are crawling through as they discover your channel.

Plus, you sell merch if you get big enough, or run a patreon along with the ads.

Realistically these people should be trying to switch to their own platform as soon as possible.

I like to ART
  • Options

*dies*

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    a
    navgoose wrote: »
    I work exactly 42 hours a week average. Week a is 36 and week b is 48.

I am physically present at work 43.75 hours a week average if you include my 30 minute unpaid lunch break.

also include your commute time

we should be paid to commute to and from work

wouldn't this end up subsidizing suburban sprawl

If rather drive 2 minutes to work instead of 30 and for most people 30 minutes worth of work is not a lot.

So no, not really.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »

And I would argue that the major networks, music videos, movie trailers, movie rentals, and all the other channels who are happy using YouTube as a monetization channel are more than enough for them to be doing this.

I doubt they are in the business of self-harm. They just do not want people using their shit for free to the tune of millions of views and external methods of making money.
    I think losing all the independent streamers (How many viewers does PDP get again?) would be a very damaging blow to YouTube, but you're right, probably wouldn't kill them. Regardless, I don't care that they don't want people using their shit for free. Literally no one thinks they should be allowed to do that if YouTube wants to change the rules.

But it's a real dick move to make a bunch of changes like that without giving anyone any warning, especially when you know people rely on your service and that you are benefiting from them being on your service too.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @Pony @BeNarwhal @Dread Pirate Arbuthnot @Rear Admiral Choco @bloodyroarxx

and anybody else in the Toronto area or with knowledge of it:

I need to find a reputable IT service company that will do call-outs to our office in Burlington, and take payment in not-cash. "Just a dude who does stuff" isn't going to suffice, it needs to be a company I can hammer out a contract with and define SLAs for service delivery. If you have any suggestions please PM or @ me!

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    If you didn't want ads on your video but wanted to put up a patreon link, couldn't you monetize it but start all your youtube videos with a bunch of profanity and maybe some like, pictures of surgery? Youtube wouldn't be able to monetize it because companies wouldn't want their ad on it and you could still have your patreon link.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Good afternoon, agents.

• Options
    Or better, end the video with profanity and surgery so you could warn viewers not to watch the last 30 seconds.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    I mean it is a true fact that when the Ford Motor company adopted the 8 hour day along with higher pay, it was a very significant event because a lot of competitors saw that it actually made them better but come on

No they didn't. GM didn't adopt it till 11 years later, and only then after being on the receiving end of a strike. Same with Chrysler and a few other auto manufacturers.

Well, I mean, that's speedy, since it had already been a hundred years :P

but yes I rephrase it to "competitors saw that it did not kill them and thus weren't as afraid of losing that battle as they were of death"

Not really. The other automakers fought the change hard. Ford making the change didn't seem to impact their feelings on it at all. They handled the strikes the same, gave the same answers to union negotiators as prior to Ford's change. There isn't any evidence that they looked at what Ford was doing and thought it might not be awful, they continued to fight just as hard.

Ford threatened to dissolve the business before he'd let unions in! He didn't relent until his wife said she'd leave him if he did.

Ford-Werke used Nazi slave labor ffs.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.