As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] In The Mountain

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I had a really good dump during the last page or two

I wanted you guys to know

was pretty hard and kinda came apart like sheep shit yesterday, betting I've been dehydrated from the flu

a repeat of that threatened when I started out but then oh, sweet jesus, it swooshed out

not a perfect shit, but a damn serviceable one, and most flaws are ignored due to being a marked improvement

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    everyone always asks me how big my apartment is when they hear me $rent and I dont know because I never ask

I have a box that's large enough for a bed and a computer is more needed

i have an expensive apartment. it's decently sized but not gigantic. the main reason i am glad to pay the rent (other than the proximity to work) is that it's brand new- everything works, hardwood, nice appliances, lots of counter space etc.

every time someone asks how much my rent is they do kind of an 'oof' or 'jesus, does it suck you off for that much' or maybe more common than either of those is 'i only pay so and so and i like my place'

which seems astonishingly rude but people say it all the time

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I wonder if there's a market for a company like Patreon to start doing video hosting. The normal Patreon business, but they take a slightly larger cut for hosting the videos and dealing with the technical stuff.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Organichu wrote: »
    everyone always asks me how big my apartment is when they hear me $rent and I dont know because I never ask

i have an expensive apartment. it's decently sized but not gigantic. the main reason i am glad to pay the rent (other than the proximity to work) is that it's brand new- everything works, hardwood, nice appliances, lots of counter space etc.

every time someone asks how much my rent is they do kind of an 'oof' or 'jesus, does it suck you off for that much' or maybe more common than either of those is 'i only pay so and so and i like my place'

Well

Does it suck you off?

override367 on
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i have a friend whos pay was cut to like $8 an hour and ~15 hours of OT added, so that basically the paychecks stay the exact same size but they work a lot more

abolish

is that even legal?

i mean i know lolwisconsin and all but

im pretty sure in wisconsin its legal to force your employees to come home with you and stand around in slave tunics waiting for your orders

It's a Right To Slave Tunic state.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    navgoose wrote: »
    I work exactly 42 hours a week average. Week a is 36 and week b is 48.

I am physically present at work 43.75 hours a week average if you include my 30 minute unpaid lunch break.

also include your commute time

we should be paid to commute to and from work

wouldn't this end up subsidizing suburban sprawl

If rather drive 2 minutes to work instead of 30 and for most people 30 minutes worth of work is not a lot.

So no, not really.

well if noted everyman jungleroomx isn't enticed by the additional compensation then I'm convinced :P

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    "Slavery is still illegal in Wisconsin, however if you enter a voluntary employment agreement you may be expected to put in 24 unpaid overtime shifts outside of your written job description at your employer's place of residence from time to time"

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I wonder if there's a market for a company like Patreon to start doing video hosting. The normal Patreon business, but they take a slightly larger cut for hosting the videos and dealing with the technical stuff.

That would be a smart move on their part, because you could associate the patreon with the paywall directly.

Not just videos, but pdfs, installers, etc.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Good afternoon, agents.
    Comrade. *nods*

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    One million views will pay you, roughly (very roughly it can vary a lot due to factors not in your control at all) three hundred dollars. Or way more or way less, there is nothing approaching a regular $ per paid view (those that don't skip)

Few videos have a million views.

Living as a youtube creator seems awful because you genuinely have no idea how much money is coming next month.

and that's without sudden demonetization

the best youtube content creators are the ones who are consistent, put out a ton of content, and put in the hard work to generate new fans. That way even as your new popular video trails off you have 300-400 videos in the backlog that people are crawling through as they discover your channel.

Plus, you sell merch if you get big enough, or run a patreon along with the ads.

yeah it's them I'm talking about

it's a rather unpredictable situation for them

and on top of that comes how youtube changes terms and how their systems work and such with no warning whatsoever

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    it used to but it's altered its fucking method

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    a

I am physically present at work 43.75 hours a week average if you include my 30 minute unpaid lunch break.

If rather drive 2 minutes to work instead of 30 and for most people 30 minutes worth of work is not a lot.

So no, not really.

Conversely, I work with people who drive an hour+ to work. They want to live in a place where they can get a big house for the same cost as a 1 bedroom condo in the city. Different people in different situations are going to look at this differently and for people on the fence, being paid for all that driving time will tip them into the other camp.

For anyone who this will seriously effect, the 120-150 extra miles of wear on their vehicle per day will pretty much offset any additional funds.

It's why pizza delivery drivers can get $15 an hour and still be broke as hell.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus has breast cancer

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    One million views will pay you, roughly (very roughly it can vary a lot due to factors not in your control at all) three hundred dollars. Or way more or way less, there is nothing approaching a regular $ per paid view (those that don't skip)

Living as a youtube creator seems awful because you genuinely have no idea how much money is coming next month.

the best youtube content creators are the ones who are consistent, put out a ton of content, and put in the hard work to generate new fans. That way even as your new popular video trails off you have 300-400 videos in the backlog that people are crawling through as they discover your channel.

Plus, you sell merch if you get big enough, or run a patreon along with the ads.

yeah it's them I'm talking about

it's a rather unpredictable situation for them

and on top of that comes how youtube changes terms and how their systems work and such with no warning whatsoever

It is the life of any contractor or artist, really.

Consistent paychecks is not why you get into the business.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Yeah, you definitely don't want this:

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    "Slavery is still illegal in Wisconsin, however if you enter a voluntary employment agreement you may be expected to put in 24 unpaid overtime shifts outside of your written job description at your employer's place of residence from time to time"

who in their right mind puts up with that?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    ):

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I saw episode 1 of the new Star Trek

Jesus that was a painful amount of poorly-written exposition.

Film schools need to show Fury Road on a loop

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    What if one of my preps today worked?

That'd be too easy, can't have that

• Options
    ):

HAST DU EINE WOHNUNG?

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

IT WAS GOOD YOU HUSH

• Options
    Discovery Ep 1 has some horrific exposition, first officer giving a description of why they're on a planet and what they're doing on a planet

like she just grabbed the captain and said "come with me to the transporter room its a surprise"

I liked Episode 2 a bunch!

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Realistically these people should be trying to switch to their own platform as soon as possible.

that's hopeless. No one is going to go back to a million web pages that host their own videos and omg no. Youtube (and vimeo a little bit) are the only vectors now.

When was the last time you even watched a video that wasn't hosted on Youtube. How would you show us that video in [chat]?

We can't go back.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So I'll be moving out of my apartment in about a month, just 8 months after moving in. I'm moving out not because I am being evicted, but because I cannot stomach another confrontation with the landlord in my apartment building. Here's a "brief" timeline.

February 14th: Move in. Apartment is real nice if inefficient with its layout. I am pleased with the cost and location.

February 20th: My boyfriend buys me a portable bidet toilet seat as a late birthday gift and installs it. I love this thing. The installation consists of turning off water to the toilet by turning the little handle near the floor, unscrewing the hookup for the toilet tank, screwing on a little plastic T connection, attaching the tank and the bidet to the T, and turning back on the water. Took a few minutes and required no tools. We followed all directions and put down some absorbant cloths to check for leaks in the supply line. The gaskets were good and there weren't any leaks after a week.

March 4th: I am showering when I hear a knock at the door. It's my boyfriend saying there's a leak coming from our bathroom and running into the apartment downstairs. I quickly finish my shower and come out and let the landlord in to inspect. The floor is dry, the toilet was dry, they suspect the shower (since it was running at the time) and run it for a while. I check the bidet and all its parts are dry.

April: There's another leak downstairs, we let the landlord in and he looks around and finds nothing. Nobody was in the bathroom at the time. He pokes around.

May: My parents go away for the weekend and ask if I can watch the dog. My apartment building is dog-friendly and I've told the landlord in the past that I might dogsit from time to time. They were fine with this. Landlord sees and asks about dog, I explain the situation, they say it's ok.

June: There's another leak, this time we aren't home, we had just left to go visit my parents. I tell the landlord to let himself in and do whatever he needs to figure this thing out. I don't hear anything. While visiting my parents, we talked about how great it was to watch the dog for the weekend. Maybe we could share the dog, having him live with me some of the time. They agree and say it would be convenient if I took him right away for the next few days. I agree and plan to ask the landlord about a more semi-permanent arrangement for the dog, and amending the lease. But if he refuses, no big deal, the dog goes back with my mom.

I get back to my apartment and the landlord is waiting there for me. He barges into my apartment without letting me get a word in and says we need to talk. He says that it's the bidet "THAT- THAT- THAT... THING" causing the leaks. He says I am in violation of my lease by installing it and he has a mind to put me on the hook for damages. I say the bidet is located on top of the toilet, it's all external, the only place it could leak would be all over the bathroom floor and we'd been looking for that. I would have told him immediately if there had been any issue with it.

He accuses me of hiding it when he visited previously. I say no, of course I haven't hidden it, it's been right there the entire time. He asks when it was installed, I tell him shortly after moving in. I say I'll remove it right away if he wants. He's furious and chews me out for a while and exaggerates what we had done to install the bidet, claiming we also changed the shutoff for the toilet. I said we did not. He refuses to accept this. He says if there's another leak, we're out of the building. I ask if he is threatening eviction and he looks stunned for a second and then revises and says he'd ask us to leave.

Then he sees the dog and goes ballistic. "I KNEW YOU WERE LYING ABOUT THE DOG" he says and sticks a finger right in my face. I said no, he was just visiting again from my parents but I would like to talk to him adding the dog to the lease and keeping him more often. He agrees to that (he really loves dogs) and finally leaves. We uninstall the bidet immediately and check for leaks on the hoses again. Landlord leaves for a summer-long vacation. I am sad and bidet-less.

September 27th: I get home from work see the landlord outside, just back from the vacation. He starts screaming at me before I get to the door. There was another leak in the apartment below. I ask when it was, trying to think if there was ANYTHING that could have caused it. It was on a normal Sunday when we were home and there's nothing of note. He accuses me of putting the bidet back. I said I had not. He says I'm a liar and I ask if he would like to check and he refuses. He says I have been causing the leaks on purpose by pouring water all over the floor, cleaning it up, and lying to him. I am a liar. I lied about hiding the bidet and I lied about the dog and I am lying to him now. The leaks are to stop right now.

I look at him totally exasperated and say that I am not lying, I'm not causing the leaks. There's no water in the bathroom, we don't do anything unusual in there. I disagree with his assessment that I am a liar. He yells unproductively for about 15 more minutes, refuses to get a plumber, refuses to believe that anything could possibly be going on, says if it happens again, there will be "trouble".

I tell him that's it. I'm tired of this. We're doing nothing wrong and I am done living here. I'd like to break the lease as soon as possible. He says give 2 months notice and he'll do it. I say fine and write up the paperwork.

That night I am real mad and go into the bathroom and hunt for water. Everything is dry. I eventually notice that a paper towel under the plunger is wet on one corner near the toilet but the plunger hadn't been used in forever. I slide the paper towel UNDER the body of the toilet and it immediately sucks up a ton of water. I grab a roll of paper towels and slide sheets under one at a time until there's no more water. Then I slide a dry sheet under and wait a few minutes. Nothing. I give the toilet a flush. Instantly the paper towel begins sucking water up from under the toilet. I took a video of this process.

Fucking... are you goddamned shitting me. This fucking incompetent asshole landlord...

I'm still moving out. I'm absolutely done with this lunatic. I don't care if he was doing this on purpose to chase me out because he is homophobic or hates me. I simply don't care. I am gone ASAP. I'm sick over the expense and hassle of moving again but I see no other choice.

What do I even do? Do I tell him? Do I just keep it to myself? It's prolly gonna spill over and leak again before the last two months are up because there's something clearly broken here. But this asshole is so terrible I feel like just talking to him digs a deeper and deeper hole. I'm not relishing the thought of being accused of causing this too. I think a lot of the things he has done are savvy. Refusing to inspect the bathroom means it's our word vs his in any sort of dispute for the security deposit, which at this point I assume I'd need a lawyer to get back.

Ugh, I don't want to deal with any of this. Also my dog has an ear infection and I need to find him a vet.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    a

So no, not really.

well if noted everyman jungleroomx isn't enticed by the additional compensation then I'm convinced :P

Yeah, for all of us dirty poors having a reliable vehicle is more important than a few extra hours a week.

• Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    It would be pretty funny if we actually got the whole 'end right-to-work' thing in NAFTA.

$8 pay cut for no reason would likely be constructive dismissal here.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I mean it is a true fact that when the Ford Motor company adopted the 8 hour day along with higher pay, it was a very significant event because a lot of competitors saw that it actually made them better but come on

No they didn't. GM didn't adopt it till 11 years later, and only then after being on the receiving end of a strike. Same with Chrysler and a few other auto manufacturers.

Well, I mean, that's speedy, since it had already been a hundred years :P

but yes I rephrase it to "competitors saw that it did not kill them and thus weren't as afraid of losing that battle as they were of death"

Not really. The other automakers fought the change hard. Ford making the change didn't seem to impact their feelings on it at all. They handled the strikes the same, gave the same answers to union negotiators as prior to Ford's change. There isn't any evidence that they looked at what Ford was doing and thought it might not be awful, they continued to fight just as hard.

Ford threatened to dissolve the business before he'd let unions in! He didn't relent until his wife said she'd leave him if he did.

Ford-Werke used Nazi slave labor ffs.

I never said Ford was pro-union. I was talking about the other car manufacturers who were being pushed by unions to adopt an 8 hour work day.

• Options
    Even with the clunky exposition I liked ST:D 1 (what an unfortunate acronym), and Ep 2 more

The series is actually pretty good so far

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

IT WAS GOOD YOU HUSH

But you know I can't :(

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

At least she is mega rich, like super mega rich, so she can afford every bit of treatment and recovery available.

Unlike the majority of americans.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Nearly every alternative to Yutube is going to be like an alternative to Facebook. We all just need to move almost completely en mass to a similar platform and then... yeah, it is never going to happen.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    DK is he the owner or just the manager?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I feel like it is kind of the expected response to go "oof" when someone says a large number for rent

or a more vulgar "jesus, does it suck you off for that much"

but like, it is commonly accepted that one must go "that number is indeed high! This is me expressing sympathy for the high number you pay."

"I only pay so and so and I like my place" does seem very rude indeed. It's like if someone is complaining that their job sucks and you go "well mine is quite good!" instead "your job sounds like it does indeed suck!"

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »

Realistically these people should be trying to switch to their own platform as soon as possible.

that's hopeless. No one is going to go back to a million web pages that host their own videos and omg no. Youtube (and vimeo a little bit) are the only vectors now.

When was the last time you even watched a video that wasn't hosted on Youtube. How would you show us that video in [chat]?

We can't go back.

which is why you still host on youtube.

But you offer ad free versions to paying subscribers elsewhere, and you let youtube run ads as you are using them as advertising for your premium content.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    So I'll be moving out of my apartment in about a month, just 8 months after moving in. I'm moving out not because I am being evicted, but because I cannot stomach another confrontation with the landlord in my apartment building. Here's a "brief" timeline.

February 14th: Move in. Apartment is real nice if inefficient with its layout. I am pleased with the cost and location.

February 20th: My boyfriend buys me a portable bidet toilet seat as a late birthday gift and installs it. I love this thing. The installation consists of turning off water to the toilet by turning the little handle near the floor, unscrewing the hookup for the toilet tank, screwing on a little plastic T connection, attaching the tank and the bidet to the T, and turning back on the water. Took a few minutes and required no tools. We followed all directions and put down some absorbant cloths to check for leaks in the supply line. The gaskets were good and there weren't any leaks after a week.

March 4th: I am showering when I hear a knock at the door. It's my boyfriend saying there's a leak coming from our bathroom and running into the apartment downstairs. I quickly finish my shower and come out and let the landlord in to inspect. The floor is dry, the toilet was dry, they suspect the shower (since it was running at the time) and run it for a while. I check the bidet and all its parts are dry.

April: There's another leak downstairs, we let the landlord in and he looks around and finds nothing. Nobody was in the bathroom at the time. He pokes around.

May: My parents go away for the weekend and ask if I can watch the dog. My apartment building is dog-friendly and I've told the landlord in the past that I might dogsit from time to time. They were fine with this. Landlord sees and asks about dog, I explain the situation, they say it's ok.

June: There's another leak, this time we aren't home, we had just left to go visit my parents. I tell the landlord to let himself in and do whatever he needs to figure this thing out. I don't hear anything. While visiting my parents, we talked about how great it was to watch the dog for the weekend. Maybe we could share the dog, having him live with me some of the time. They agree and say it would be convenient if I took him right away for the next few days. I agree and plan to ask the landlord about a more semi-permanent arrangement for the dog, and amending the lease. But if he refuses, no big deal, the dog goes back with my mom.

I get back to my apartment and the landlord is waiting there for me. He barges into my apartment without letting me get a word in and says we need to talk. He says that it's the bidet "THAT- THAT- THAT... THING" causing the leaks. He says I am in violation of my lease by installing it and he has a mind to put me on the hook for damages. I say the bidet is located on top of the toilet, it's all external, the only place it could leak would be all over the bathroom floor and we'd been looking for that. I would have told him immediately if there had been any issue with it.

He accuses me of hiding it when he visited previously. I say no, of course I haven't hidden it, it's been right there the entire time. He asks when it was installed, I tell him shortly after moving in. I say I'll remove it right away if he wants. He's furious and chews me out for a while and exaggerates what we had done to install the bidet, claiming we also changed the shutoff for the toilet. I said we did not. He refuses to accept this. He says if there's another leak, we're out of the building. I ask if he is threatening eviction and he looks stunned for a second and then revises and says he'd ask us to leave.

Then he sees the dog and goes ballistic. "I KNEW YOU WERE LYING ABOUT THE DOG" he says and sticks a finger right in my face. I said no, he was just visiting again from my parents but I would like to talk to him adding the dog to the lease and keeping him more often. He agrees to that (he really loves dogs) and finally leaves. We uninstall the bidet immediately and check for leaks on the hoses again. Landlord leaves for a summer-long vacation. I am sad and bidet-less.

September 27th: I get home from work see the landlord outside, just back from the vacation. He starts screaming at me before I get to the door. There was another leak in the apartment below. I ask when it was, trying to think if there was ANYTHING that could have caused it. It was on a normal Sunday when we were home and there's nothing of note. He accuses me of putting the bidet back. I said I had not. He says I'm a liar and I ask if he would like to check and he refuses. He says I have been causing the leaks on purpose by pouring water all over the floor, cleaning it up, and lying to him. I am a liar. I lied about hiding the bidet and I lied about the dog and I am lying to him now. The leaks are to stop right now.

I look at him totally exasperated and say that I am not lying, I'm not causing the leaks. There's no water in the bathroom, we don't do anything unusual in there. I disagree with his assessment that I am a liar. He yells unproductively for about 15 more minutes, refuses to get a plumber, refuses to believe that anything could possibly be going on, says if it happens again, there will be "trouble".

I tell him that's it. I'm tired of this. We're doing nothing wrong and I am done living here. I'd like to break the lease as soon as possible. He says give 2 months notice and he'll do it. I say fine and write up the paperwork.

That night I am real mad and go into the bathroom and hunt for water. Everything is dry. I eventually notice that a paper towel under the plunger is wet on one corner near the toilet but the plunger hadn't been used in forever. I slide the paper towel UNDER the body of the toilet and it immediately sucks up a ton of water. I grab a roll of paper towels and slide sheets under one at a time until there's no more water. Then I slide a dry sheet under and wait a few minutes. Nothing. I give the toilet a flush. Instantly the paper towel begins sucking water up from under the toilet. I took a video of this process.

Fucking... are you goddamned shitting me. This fucking incompetent asshole landlord...

I'm still moving out. I'm absolutely done with this lunatic. I don't care if he was doing this on purpose to chase me out because he is homophobic or hates me. I simply don't care. I am gone ASAP. I'm sick over the expense and hassle of moving again but I see no other choice.

What do I even do? Do I tell him? Do I just keep it to myself? It's prolly gonna spill over and leak again before the last two months are up because there's something clearly broken here. But this asshole is so terrible I feel like just talking to him digs a deeper and deeper hole. I'm not relishing the thought of being accused of causing this too. I think a lot of the things he has done are savvy. Refusing to inspect the bathroom means it's our word vs his in any sort of dispute for the security deposit, which at this point I assume I'd need a lawyer to get back.

Ugh, I don't want to deal with any of this. Also my dog has an ear infection and I need to find him a vet.

i've been involved in a final check situation where $X = last two month's rent plus cost of carpet cleaners minus security deposit. It worked pretty well. We had good documentation and sent him a letter with the check that we had a lawyer write that basically said "we don't trust you here is our money if you don't like it see you in court"

sig.gif
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

At least she is mega rich, like super mega rich, so she can afford every bit of treatment and recovery available.

The majority of her announcement is calling for providing universal health care so that's pretty cool of her.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

and then their channel dies. You're not going to get more viewers there, just lose them.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

looks like she's aware of that

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Even with the clunky exposition I liked ST:D 1 (what an unfortunate acronym), and Ep 2 more

The series is actually pretty good so far

I thought the scene on the planet was clunky, but I really really liked the first scenes on the bridge up until things got super intense actiony for the remaining 75 minutes. The characters felt fun and Star Treky and I'd have been happy with them just going on episodic adventures in space with very little drama and almost no stakes whatsoever, TNG style.

I want to get to know the lady with a robot head.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Uber has shut down Xchange Leasing, a money-losing subsidiary launched two years ago to directly lease vehicles to drivers on its ride-hailing network.
    Uber, which has been contemplating a sale of the auto-leasing business, said Wednesday it was closing Xchange Leasing, the Wall Street Journal first reported. An Uber confirmed to Fortune it was shuttering the subsidiary that employs about 500 people.

"We have decided to stop operating Xchange Leasing and move towards a less capital-intensive approach,” an Uber spokesman said in an email sent to Fortune.
    Xchange Leasing, which has about 40,000 vehicles and 14 showrooms in the United States, turned out to be a bigger money loser than expected.
    Uber began winding down the business this summer after learning that losses were $9,000 per car on average, steeply above the previous estimates of around $500 per car, the WSJ reported in August. That's 18 times steeper losses than expected.

Jesus Uber. Did you not expect that leasing cars to Uber drivers might result in vehicles with disproportionately high milage?

This discussion has been closed.