As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] In The Mountain

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    So I'll be moving out of my apartment in about a month, just 8 months after moving in. I'm moving out not because I am being evicted, but because I cannot stomach another confrontation with the landlord in my apartment building. Here's a "brief" timeline.

February 14th: Move in. Apartment is real nice if inefficient with its layout. I am pleased with the cost and location.

February 20th: My boyfriend buys me a portable bidet toilet seat as a late birthday gift and installs it. I love this thing. The installation consists of turning off water to the toilet by turning the little handle near the floor, unscrewing the hookup for the toilet tank, screwing on a little plastic T connection, attaching the tank and the bidet to the T, and turning back on the water. Took a few minutes and required no tools. We followed all directions and put down some absorbant cloths to check for leaks in the supply line. The gaskets were good and there weren't any leaks after a week.

March 4th: I am showering when I hear a knock at the door. It's my boyfriend saying there's a leak coming from our bathroom and running into the apartment downstairs. I quickly finish my shower and come out and let the landlord in to inspect. The floor is dry, the toilet was dry, they suspect the shower (since it was running at the time) and run it for a while. I check the bidet and all its parts are dry.

April: There's another leak downstairs, we let the landlord in and he looks around and finds nothing. Nobody was in the bathroom at the time. He pokes around.

May: My parents go away for the weekend and ask if I can watch the dog. My apartment building is dog-friendly and I've told the landlord in the past that I might dogsit from time to time. They were fine with this. Landlord sees and asks about dog, I explain the situation, they say it's ok.

June: There's another leak, this time we aren't home, we had just left to go visit my parents. I tell the landlord to let himself in and do whatever he needs to figure this thing out. I don't hear anything. While visiting my parents, we talked about how great it was to watch the dog for the weekend. Maybe we could share the dog, having him live with me some of the time. They agree and say it would be convenient if I took him right away for the next few days. I agree and plan to ask the landlord about a more semi-permanent arrangement for the dog, and amending the lease. But if he refuses, no big deal, the dog goes back with my mom.

I get back to my apartment and the landlord is waiting there for me. He barges into my apartment without letting me get a word in and says we need to talk. He says that it's the bidet "THAT- THAT- THAT... THING" causing the leaks. He says I am in violation of my lease by installing it and he has a mind to put me on the hook for damages. I say the bidet is located on top of the toilet, it's all external, the only place it could leak would be all over the bathroom floor and we'd been looking for that. I would have told him immediately if there had been any issue with it.

He accuses me of hiding it when he visited previously. I say no, of course I haven't hidden it, it's been right there the entire time. He asks when it was installed, I tell him shortly after moving in. I say I'll remove it right away if he wants. He's furious and chews me out for a while and exaggerates what we had done to install the bidet, claiming we also changed the shutoff for the toilet. I said we did not. He refuses to accept this. He says if there's another leak, we're out of the building. I ask if he is threatening eviction and he looks stunned for a second and then revises and says he'd ask us to leave.

Then he sees the dog and goes ballistic. "I KNEW YOU WERE LYING ABOUT THE DOG" he says and sticks a finger right in my face. I said no, he was just visiting again from my parents but I would like to talk to him adding the dog to the lease and keeping him more often. He agrees to that (he really loves dogs) and finally leaves. We uninstall the bidet immediately and check for leaks on the hoses again. Landlord leaves for a summer-long vacation. I am sad and bidet-less.

September 27th: I get home from work see the landlord outside, just back from the vacation. He starts screaming at me before I get to the door. There was another leak in the apartment below. I ask when it was, trying to think if there was ANYTHING that could have caused it. It was on a normal Sunday when we were home and there's nothing of note. He accuses me of putting the bidet back. I said I had not. He says I'm a liar and I ask if he would like to check and he refuses. He says I have been causing the leaks on purpose by pouring water all over the floor, cleaning it up, and lying to him. I am a liar. I lied about hiding the bidet and I lied about the dog and I am lying to him now. The leaks are to stop right now.

I look at him totally exasperated and say that I am not lying, I'm not causing the leaks. There's no water in the bathroom, we don't do anything unusual in there. I disagree with his assessment that I am a liar. He yells unproductively for about 15 more minutes, refuses to get a plumber, refuses to believe that anything could possibly be going on, says if it happens again, there will be "trouble".

I tell him that's it. I'm tired of this. We're doing nothing wrong and I am done living here. I'd like to break the lease as soon as possible. He says give 2 months notice and he'll do it. I say fine and write up the paperwork.

That night I am real mad and go into the bathroom and hunt for water. Everything is dry. I eventually notice that a paper towel under the plunger is wet on one corner near the toilet but the plunger hadn't been used in forever. I slide the paper towel UNDER the body of the toilet and it immediately sucks up a ton of water. I grab a roll of paper towels and slide sheets under one at a time until there's no more water. Then I slide a dry sheet under and wait a few minutes. Nothing. I give the toilet a flush. Instantly the paper towel begins sucking water up from under the toilet. I took a video of this process.

Fucking... are you goddamned shitting me. This fucking incompetent asshole landlord...

I'm still moving out. I'm absolutely done with this lunatic. I don't care if he was doing this on purpose to chase me out because he is homophobic or hates me. I simply don't care. I am gone ASAP. I'm sick over the expense and hassle of moving again but I see no other choice.

What do I even do? Do I tell him? Do I just keep it to myself? It's prolly gonna spill over and leak again before the last two months are up because there's something clearly broken here. But this asshole is so terrible I feel like just talking to him digs a deeper and deeper hole. I'm not relishing the thought of being accused of causing this too. I think a lot of the things he has done are savvy. Refusing to inspect the bathroom means it's our word vs his in any sort of dispute for the security deposit, which at this point I assume I'd need a lawyer to get back.

Ugh, I don't want to deal with any of this. Also my dog has an ear infection and I need to find him a vet.

If it were me I'd do a careful read of the lease agreement. I'd do that regardless of whether you want to act on my next bit of advice.

Which is to call him and ask him to fix the toilet, since that's his responsibility. If you wait until you move out he will probably put the toilet fix on your security deposit, but if you handle it now I'm not sure he can charge you. IANAL except when I do anal.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2017
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    everyone always asks me how big my apartment is when they hear me $rent and I dont know because I never ask

I have a box that's large enough for a bed and a computer is more needed

i have an expensive apartment. it's decently sized but not gigantic. the main reason i am glad to pay the rent (other than the proximity to work) is that it's brand new- everything works, hardwood, nice appliances, lots of counter space etc.

every time someone asks how much my rent is they do kind of an 'oof' or 'jesus, does it suck you off for that much' or maybe more common than either of those is 'i only pay so and so and i like my place'

which seems astonishingly rude but people say it all the time

I feel like it is kind of the expected response to go "oof" when someone says a large number for rent

or a more vulgar "jesus, does it suck you off for that much"

but like, it is commonly accepted that one must go "that number is indeed high! This is me expressing sympathy for the high number you pay."

"I only pay so and so and I like my place" does seem very rude indeed. It's like if someone is complaining that their job sucks and you go "well mine is quite good!" instead "your job sounds like it does indeed suck!"

i guess it would feel more acceptable if i were wealthy. if i'm making 200,000 a year and i drive an expensive luxury car and i tell my friend it costs me 1,100 dollars a month, then it seems fine to say 'jesus christ'. but if i make a lot less and it's not a financial-nothing, then that seems rude. i know it's a lot. it's a strain, i have to sacrifice elsewhere. it's worth it to me? so talking about how jesus christ that's so much seems thoughtless.

Organichu on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So I'll be moving out of my apartment in about a month, just 8 months after moving in. I'm moving out not because I am being evicted, but because I cannot stomach another confrontation with the landlord in my apartment building. Here's a "brief" timeline.

February 14th: Move in. Apartment is real nice if inefficient with its layout. I am pleased with the cost and location.

February 20th: My boyfriend buys me a portable bidet toilet seat as a late birthday gift and installs it. I love this thing. The installation consists of turning off water to the toilet by turning the little handle near the floor, unscrewing the hookup for the toilet tank, screwing on a little plastic T connection, attaching the tank and the bidet to the T, and turning back on the water. Took a few minutes and required no tools. We followed all directions and put down some absorbant cloths to check for leaks in the supply line. The gaskets were good and there weren't any leaks after a week.

March 4th: I am showering when I hear a knock at the door. It's my boyfriend saying there's a leak coming from our bathroom and running into the apartment downstairs. I quickly finish my shower and come out and let the landlord in to inspect. The floor is dry, the toilet was dry, they suspect the shower (since it was running at the time) and run it for a while. I check the bidet and all its parts are dry.

April: There's another leak downstairs, we let the landlord in and he looks around and finds nothing. Nobody was in the bathroom at the time. He pokes around.

May: My parents go away for the weekend and ask if I can watch the dog. My apartment building is dog-friendly and I've told the landlord in the past that I might dogsit from time to time. They were fine with this. Landlord sees and asks about dog, I explain the situation, they say it's ok.

June: There's another leak, this time we aren't home, we had just left to go visit my parents. I tell the landlord to let himself in and do whatever he needs to figure this thing out. I don't hear anything. While visiting my parents, we talked about how great it was to watch the dog for the weekend. Maybe we could share the dog, having him live with me some of the time. They agree and say it would be convenient if I took him right away for the next few days. I agree and plan to ask the landlord about a more semi-permanent arrangement for the dog, and amending the lease. But if he refuses, no big deal, the dog goes back with my mom.

I get back to my apartment and the landlord is waiting there for me. He barges into my apartment without letting me get a word in and says we need to talk. He says that it's the bidet "THAT- THAT- THAT... THING" causing the leaks. He says I am in violation of my lease by installing it and he has a mind to put me on the hook for damages. I say the bidet is located on top of the toilet, it's all external, the only place it could leak would be all over the bathroom floor and we'd been looking for that. I would have told him immediately if there had been any issue with it.

He accuses me of hiding it when he visited previously. I say no, of course I haven't hidden it, it's been right there the entire time. He asks when it was installed, I tell him shortly after moving in. I say I'll remove it right away if he wants. He's furious and chews me out for a while and exaggerates what we had done to install the bidet, claiming we also changed the shutoff for the toilet. I said we did not. He refuses to accept this. He says if there's another leak, we're out of the building. I ask if he is threatening eviction and he looks stunned for a second and then revises and says he'd ask us to leave.

Then he sees the dog and goes ballistic. "I KNEW YOU WERE LYING ABOUT THE DOG" he says and sticks a finger right in my face. I said no, he was just visiting again from my parents but I would like to talk to him adding the dog to the lease and keeping him more often. He agrees to that (he really loves dogs) and finally leaves. We uninstall the bidet immediately and check for leaks on the hoses again. Landlord leaves for a summer-long vacation. I am sad and bidet-less.

September 27th: I get home from work see the landlord outside, just back from the vacation. He starts screaming at me before I get to the door. There was another leak in the apartment below. I ask when it was, trying to think if there was ANYTHING that could have caused it. It was on a normal Sunday when we were home and there's nothing of note. He accuses me of putting the bidet back. I said I had not. He says I'm a liar and I ask if he would like to check and he refuses. He says I have been causing the leaks on purpose by pouring water all over the floor, cleaning it up, and lying to him. I am a liar. I lied about hiding the bidet and I lied about the dog and I am lying to him now. The leaks are to stop right now.

I look at him totally exasperated and say that I am not lying, I'm not causing the leaks. There's no water in the bathroom, we don't do anything unusual in there. I disagree with his assessment that I am a liar. He yells unproductively for about 15 more minutes, refuses to get a plumber, refuses to believe that anything could possibly be going on, says if it happens again, there will be "trouble".

I tell him that's it. I'm tired of this. We're doing nothing wrong and I am done living here. I'd like to break the lease as soon as possible. He says give 2 months notice and he'll do it. I say fine and write up the paperwork.

That night I am real mad and go into the bathroom and hunt for water. Everything is dry. I eventually notice that a paper towel under the plunger is wet on one corner near the toilet but the plunger hadn't been used in forever. I slide the paper towel UNDER the body of the toilet and it immediately sucks up a ton of water. I grab a roll of paper towels and slide sheets under one at a time until there's no more water. Then I slide a dry sheet under and wait a few minutes. Nothing. I give the toilet a flush. Instantly the paper towel begins sucking water up from under the toilet. I took a video of this process.

Fucking... are you goddamned shitting me. This fucking incompetent asshole landlord...

I'm still moving out. I'm absolutely done with this lunatic. I don't care if he was doing this on purpose to chase me out because he is homophobic or hates me. I simply don't care. I am gone ASAP. I'm sick over the expense and hassle of moving again but I see no other choice.

What do I even do? Do I tell him? Do I just keep it to myself? It's prolly gonna spill over and leak again before the last two months are up because there's something clearly broken here. But this asshole is so terrible I feel like just talking to him digs a deeper and deeper hole. I'm not relishing the thought of being accused of causing this too. I think a lot of the things he has done are savvy. Refusing to inspect the bathroom means it's our word vs his in any sort of dispute for the security deposit, which at this point I assume I'd need a lawyer to get back.

Ugh, I don't want to deal with any of this. Also my dog has an ear infection and I need to find him a vet.

DK if you are invested at all in getting your deposit back (and preventing him from trying to charge you even more damages beyond the deposit) then you need to tell him about the leak you discovered and do everything in writing from here on out. I would refuse to talk to him in person any further unless absolutely necessary and after every conversation I would email him with "Here is a memorialization of the conversation we just had, please let me know if you dispute anything I've written here."

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    What I'm getting from that renter story is RIP dankey's b-hole

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i would document and inform him, DK, just so you aren't on the hook for it after you've left and it's harder to prove your side of it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Even with the clunky exposition I liked ST:D 1 (what an unfortunate acronym), and Ep 2 more

The series is actually pretty good so far

I thought the scene on the planet was clunky, but I really really liked the first scenes on the bridge up until things got super intense actiony for the remaining 75 minutes. The characters felt fun and Star Treky and I'd have been happy with them just going on episodic adventures in space with very little drama and almost no stakes whatsoever, TNG style.

I want to get to know the lady with a robot head.

I read this initially as "I just want to get with the lady with a robot head" and I was confused and then in agreement

but I also agree with the thing you actually wrote

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    get the bidet on your next lease.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

FUZZY CUMULONIMBUS CLOUD ATTORNEY AT LAWWWW
    I am not an attorney but I do have enough hatred for renting and landlords to power a thousand suns.

1) Under no circumstances should you admit that it was your fault or that you knew about the toilet.

2) Depending on the landlord, they might have an attorney on retainer, but a lot don't. When it comes time to close out the apartment and get your security deposit, send a registered letter with a stock demand for itemization and proof of receipt for any expenses that are deducted from your deposit. Include a clause that reminds him that infrastructure based damages and normal wear and tear are in fact the financial responsibility of the landlord and not the tenant. He owns the building. Not you.

3) It really is his responsibility to get a fucking plumber and figure the issue out.

4) You can call the police on your landlord and change the locks if you really want to.

5) Eviction takes a long time and he can't just throw you out.

6) Hard to ever tell if someone is being homophobic or not but I would guess he is probably giving you a hard time.

7) Be careful breaking your lease and make sure you aren't getting screwed.

Also, HUGS.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    a

If it were me I'd do a careful read of the lease agreement. I'd do that regardless of whether you want to act on my next bit of advice.

Which is to call him and ask him to fix the toilet, since that's his responsibility. If you wait until you move out he will probably put the toilet fix on your security deposit, but if you handle it now I'm not sure he can charge you. IANAL except when I do anal.

Agreed, at least ask him and do it in a way you can document it if possible, email or something. Document everything. edit: But be very careful because you don't want him to accuse you of knowing about the leak the whole time soooo maybe don't hrm.

And maybe just walk away if he calls you a liar to your face again because good god that sounds infuriating.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I'm spoilering this because it will probably touch on sensitive mental health subjects (I haven't written it yet), but I'm going to err on the side of a caution. I've never written these next few words before in my life, but what the heck: Trigger warning - mental health shit (I'm fine, I'm perfectly safe, don't worry!), missing persons, my thoughts thereupon, etc.
    As you may or may not recall / be aware, I intentionally went missing a few years ago. I did that thing where people fantasize, like, "What if the next day you just up and left your current life, moved somewhere else, cut all contacts with your previous life, and started over?". Spoiler alert within this spoiler: it's a real shitty thing to do! We'll circle 'round back to that later.

Anyway, I was eventually rediscovered by prominent members of my 'former' life (most notably my immediate family), who were justifiably concerned about my mental health and, frankly, whether or not I was even alive anymore. We'll come back to this later, too! There's a lot to unpack. I just came out a therapy session where we discussed this, full disclosure.

Since these events, I've become slightly more fascinated with missing persons cases. Not that I'm preoccupied or distracted by them, but where before I could very well walk past a missing person poster and literally never notice it, that's no longer a thing that happens for me. And once a missing person is on my radar, I typically stay tuned for updates regarding their status.

Here's a thing I learned: basically all of these people are later found dead. Not every single one, but I'm gonna say in a sample size of ~40 since that time, maybe two have resurfaced alive. 95% of the missing persons cases I've personally monitored in any capacity wind up with the missing person's body being found months later, much to the devastation and horror of their loved ones.

When I first made the decision to cut contact with my former life, and my family especially, I obviously wrestled with a significant amount of guilt. That's probably never not going to be a thing, exonerated though I may be, by their own admissions, by my family themselves. Ain't nobody better at beating up on me than me, I think we all know that by now. Anyway.

So most missing persons end up being dead persons, with all the horror and grief that that fact visits upon the loved ones of the missing person. I didn't quote my 95% stat from earlier because that's come purely from personal observation, but I'm pretty comfortable with saying "most". This is relevant, because around the time that I was found by the combined efforts of the police and my family, my family was also in talks to produce an episode of a television show called "Last Seen Alive". Which is a pretty morbid title but, as I learned afterward, is probably a fair assessment of the outcome for most missing persons.

This all came to mind again today because I passed a Missing Person poster for an 18 year old woman on my way to group this morning. This isn't the first poster I've passed for a missing person, and it won't be the last. And it's like ... you hope and pray that these people are okay. But it's almost a naive hope, much the same way that most of us won't win the lottery.

So what I've struggled with is ... As soon as I made the decision, I was aware, somewhat, of the toll it would have on my family. I wasn't in a great place mentally or emotionally at the time and, quite honestly, some of that toll I intended for them to suffer, which is the shittiest thing I've ever done or admitted to. But I had no idea of the toll or impact of my actions during that time, and it's taken my family and I these intervening years to really just begin to unpack some of this shit. It still affects my relationship with my father in a very profound way. And although they've accepted my apologies, and even though they've told me to stop beating myself up over some of this shit ... it's hard, you know?

Because I see these missing persons cases pop up time and again, and time and again I see a corpse pop up scant weeks or months later. And I'm never going to die, we've all come to terms with this by now, but we didn't know that then! It was a distinct possibility that I was a dead person! I maintained an impossibly low profile for several months!

Anyway, this is really all to say that I hope beyond hope that the young woman whose posters I saw this morning is safe and okay. Because no family deserves the alternative. And the alternative is the reality for far, far too many families.

I don't know. I think I started writing this with a clearer idea of a conclusion paragraph. But for the same reason it's taking me forever to write anything even meaningfully resembling a book, I find it hard to reach a conclusion here - the story goes on. And I've recommitted time and again for maybe literally living forever if for no other reason because other people don't get to, and I wasn't able to figure out how long I'd have to live to properly honour their memory, so I just settled on "forever", which is fine. I'm excited about being a robot, it's gonna be a pretty good time.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Why are so many landlords incompetent assholes

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    kedinik wrote: »
    It is universal.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    @Donkey Kong

I'd say tell him, but still move out, and tell him to go and fuck himself maybe since he can't act like a normal human adult.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

I am not an attorney but I do have enough hatred for renting and landlords to power a thousand suns.

1) Under no circumstances should you admit that it was your fault or that you knew about the toilet.

2) Depending on the landlord, they might have an attorney on retainer, but a lot don't. When it comes time to close out the apartment and get your security deposit, send a registered letter with a stock demand for itemization and proof of receipt for any expenses that are deducted from your deposit. Include a clause that reminds him that infrastructure based damages and normal wear and tear are in fact the financial responsibility of the landlord and not the tenant. He owns the building. Not you.

3) It really is his responsibility to get a fucking plumber and figure the issue out.

4) You can call the police on your landlord and change the locks if you really want to.

6) Hard to ever tell if someone is being homophobic or not but I would guess he is probably giving you a hard time.

Also, HUGS.

um.

please take extreme caution with the bolded advice is all I'm gonna say here.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Uber has shut down Xchange Leasing, a money-losing subsidiary launched two years ago to directly lease vehicles to drivers on its ride-hailing network.
    Uber, which has been contemplating a sale of the auto-leasing business, said Wednesday it was closing Xchange Leasing, the Wall Street Journal first reported. An Uber confirmed to Fortune it was shuttering the subsidiary that employs about 500 people.

"We have decided to stop operating Xchange Leasing and move towards a less capital-intensive approach,” an Uber spokesman said in an email sent to Fortune.
    Xchange Leasing, which has about 40,000 vehicles and 14 showrooms in the United States, turned out to be a bigger money loser than expected.
    Uber began winding down the business this summer after learning that losses were $9,000 per car on average, steeply above the previous estimates of around $500 per car, the WSJ reported in August. That's 18 times steeper losses than expected.

Jesus Uber. Did you not expect that leasing cars to Uber drivers might result in vehicles with disproportionately high milage?

What's crazy is they were losing money while charging exorbitant lease rates. Like everyone got fucked on it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ignore number 1 since SiG is a real lawyer.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    a
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    a

Agreed, at least ask him and do it in a way you can document it if possible, email or something. Document everything. edit: But be very careful because you don't want him to accuse you of knowing about the leak the whole time soooo maybe don't hrm.

And maybe just walk away if he calls you a liar to your face again because good god that sounds infuriating.

Yeah email is better. Email with the video documenting the leak and your discovery of it. A leak underneath the toilet is like 100% a standard maintenance issue and not you somehow damaging it through improper use.

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Landlords really are a scourge.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    http://jezebel.com/cover-of-new-sylvia-plath-volume-sells-her-as-a-blonde-1818881267

God knows when I think of Sylvia Plath I think of smiling blonde in a bikini.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

Also, HUGS.

um.

I agree but if you are rented an apartment you are legally allowed to change the locks.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    @Donkey Kong If you're on any sort of terms with the folks in the apartment below you I would definitely inform them that it's a plumbing issue that your landlord has not fixed and that you apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused but he has been simply unwilling to get it resolved and although you are leaving they may still have a problem afterward.

I mean if anything those folks shouldn't suffer because your landlord is incompetent. From everything you've said there is no rationalizing with someone who has already declared you to be a liar because they've created a narrative.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    kedinik wrote: »

I've had good ones before, but it's rare. Most seem to operate at a threshold of "lazy/incompetent" at the least.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    One million views will pay you, roughly (very roughly it can vary a lot due to factors not in your control at all) three hundred dollars. Or way more or way less, there is nothing approaching a regular $ per paid view (those that don't skip)

Few videos have a million views.

Living as a youtube creator seems awful because you genuinely have no idea how much money is coming next month.

and that's without sudden demonetization

the best youtube content creators are the ones who are consistent, put out a ton of content, and put in the hard work to generate new fans. That way even as your new popular video trails off you have 300-400 videos in the backlog that people are crawling through as they discover your channel.

Plus, you sell merch if you get big enough, or run a patreon along with the ads.

yeah it's them I'm talking about

it's a rather unpredictable situation for them

and on top of that comes how youtube changes terms and how their systems work and such with no warning whatsoever

It is the life of any contractor or artist, really.

Consistent paychecks is not why you get into the business.
    everyone always asks me how big my apartment is when they hear me $rent and I dont know because I never ask

i have an expensive apartment. it's decently sized but not gigantic. the main reason i am glad to pay the rent (other than the proximity to work) is that it's brand new- everything works, hardwood, nice appliances, lots of counter space etc.

every time someone asks how much my rent is they do kind of an 'oof' or 'jesus, does it suck you off for that much' or maybe more common than either of those is 'i only pay so and so and i like my place'

I feel like it is kind of the expected response to go "oof" when someone says a large number for rent

but like, it is commonly accepted that one must go "that number is indeed high! This is me expressing sympathy for the high number you pay."

"I only pay so and so and I like my place" does seem very rude indeed. It's like if someone is complaining that their job sucks and you go "well mine is quite good!" instead "your job sounds like it does indeed suck!"

i guess it would feel more acceptable if i were wealthy. if i'm making 200,000 a year and i drive an expensive luxury car and i tell my friend it costs me 1,100 dollars a month, then it seems fine to say 'jesus christ'. but if i make a lot less and it's not a financial-nothing, then that seems rude. i know it's a lot. it's a strain, i have to sacrifice elsewhere. it's worth it to me? so talking about how jesus christ that's so much seems thoughtless.

wait, what?

no, the opposite

if you were wealthy I would acknowledge how much you spend with maybe a grunt, maybe some small talk about the housing market, because who gives a fuck, it's not a lot to you you're doing fine

it's when it's not a financial nothing that the custom is to do a whistle of sympathy or equivalent

I mean are you kind of writing three of the same kind of statement because I am reading one as very different from the other two

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Maybe record the next conversation on video or audio, but check to make sure that's legal in your state. So you have documentation of him refusing to let you prove him wrong when he calls you a liar.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

I feel like it's partly a reaction borne of a lack of shared experience as well. If you told me that I'd just nod like ok cool, that doesn't seem bad.

It could just be that a lot of your local friends can't conceive of paying that much every month for anything.
    It could be that these reactions come from a need to not feel shame for being unable to afford that themselves. It's much the same reaction as younger folks talking about how they'll never be able to buy a place when I mention we own our home. How am I supposed to react to that, with some sort of guilt/ Am I supposed to apologize? Am I supposed to explain how hard it was to not lose the house during the crisis so they feel better about themselves or what?

• Options

Also, HUGS.

um.

I agree but if you are rented an apartment you are legally allowed to change the locks.

But then your security deposit is likely on the hook to replace them afterwards or for the new keys, right?

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Also I would almost definitely report it to the landlord; it's a basic maintenance issue, probably he is on the hook to promptly repair it, and probably the report would preclude his right to take out deposit money based on the issue

But I guess that might depend on the specifics of local law? Hmm

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options

Also, HUGS.

um.

Rather than just claiming this universally I think it might be better to point DK to which law you are referring to. If you are not referring to a law I'd, again, urge extreme caution in advising people this way.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I'm interested in what the manager thinks you were pouring water over the floor to accomplish in the first place, let alone lie about it.

Is there some sort of slip n slide fetish in your neighborhood?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    http://jezebel.com/cover-of-new-sylvia-plath-volume-sells-her-as-a-blonde-1818881267

God knows when I think of Sylvia Plath I think of smiling blonde in a bikini.

i don't understand what people think about

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    my reactions to "I pay X for Y" range from "Hm, not too bad" to "shit, man!" to "Jeeesus kristus" to "Huh!" according to whether I think it is reasonable, sort of pricey, pain-in-the-financial-ass expensive, or I have no idea, respectively

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Also, HUGS.

um.

But then your security deposit is likely on the hook to replace them afterwards or for the new keys, right?
    You could just switch them back when you're done. Typically it is done to prevent overly intrusive landlords. You are still required in most states to permit them entry given a certain time notice (usually 24 hours).

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    DK is he the owner or just the manager?

Owner

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Also a new wax ring for toilet is like 4 bucks and doesn't even take long to replace.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    uEGzM6z.png

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Maybe record the next conversation on video or audio, but check to make sure that's legal in your state. So you have documentation of him refusing to let you prove him wrong when he calls you a liar.

I don't think it's worth it to get into any sort of stuff like this.

Use e-mail if you have to and get written documentation. It doesn't seem like meeting in person has been productive at all. It's impossible to live happily in a place when you're at odds with management. I'm not saying you should always cut and run but I can't see any amicable resolution short of a change in management.

I could just be overly cautious or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Why would I want the King in the Mountain, when I can bring The Mountain.

54d430aac17b5_-_gregor-y2kv09-clegane-large_new.jpg

zepherin on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Landlords are just this perfect balance of "has a huge amount of influence over peoples' lives" and "absolutely no standards to justify holding such authority".

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    We had water come pouring out of the vent in our bathroom and splash down on the bathroom counter, as if someone had poured a bucket of water out and when they finally sent maintenance to check, we were told the people upstairs overflowed the toilet and not to worry about it.

But if water can go from their overflowed toilet directly into my vents...I'm kinda worried about it? Also gross, oh god so gross

No one accused of being a liar or being told they'd have to pay for it though.

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I'm spoilering this because it will probably touch on sensitive mental health subjects (I haven't written it yet), but I'm going to err on the side of a caution. I've never written these next few words before in my life, but what the heck: Trigger warning - mental health shit (I'm fine, I'm perfectly safe, don't worry!), missing persons, my thoughts thereupon, etc.
    As you may or may not recall / be aware, I intentionally went missing a few years ago. I did that thing where people fantasize, like, "What if the next day you just up and left your current life, moved somewhere else, cut all contacts with your previous life, and started over?". Spoiler alert within this spoiler: it's a real shitty thing to do! We'll circle 'round back to that later.

Anyway, I was eventually rediscovered by prominent members of my 'former' life (most notably my immediate family), who were justifiably concerned about my mental health and, frankly, whether or not I was even alive anymore. We'll come back to this later, too! There's a lot to unpack. I just came out a therapy session where we discussed this, full disclosure.

Since these events, I've become slightly more fascinated with missing persons cases. Not that I'm preoccupied or distracted by them, but where before I could very well walk past a missing person poster and literally never notice it, that's no longer a thing that happens for me. And once a missing person is on my radar, I typically stay tuned for updates regarding their status.

Here's a thing I learned: basically all of these people are later found dead. Not every single one, but I'm gonna say in a sample size of ~40 since that time, maybe two have resurfaced alive. 95% of the missing persons cases I've personally monitored in any capacity wind up with the missing person's body being found months later, much to the devastation and horror of their loved ones.

When I first made the decision to cut contact with my former life, and my family especially, I obviously wrestled with a significant amount of guilt. That's probably never not going to be a thing, exonerated though I may be, by their own admissions, by my family themselves. Ain't nobody better at beating up on me than me, I think we all know that by now. Anyway.

So most missing persons end up being dead persons, with all the horror and grief that that fact visits upon the loved ones of the missing person. I didn't quote my 95% stat from earlier because that's come purely from personal observation, but I'm pretty comfortable with saying "most". This is relevant, because around the time that I was found by the combined efforts of the police and my family, my family was also in talks to produce an episode of a television show called "Last Seen Alive". Which is a pretty morbid title but, as I learned afterward, is probably a fair assessment of the outcome for most missing persons.

This all came to mind again today because I passed a Missing Person poster for an 18 year old woman on my way to group this morning. This isn't the first poster I've passed for a missing person, and it won't be the last. And it's like ... you hope and pray that these people are okay. But it's almost a naive hope, much the same way that most of us won't win the lottery.

So what I've struggled with is ... As soon as I made the decision, I was aware, somewhat, of the toll it would have on my family. I wasn't in a great place mentally or emotionally at the time and, quite honestly, some of that toll I intended for them to suffer, which is the shittiest thing I've ever done or admitted to. But I had no idea of the toll or impact of my actions during that time, and it's taken my family and I these intervening years to really just begin to unpack some of this shit. It still affects my relationship with my father in a very profound way. And although they've accepted my apologies, and even though they've told me to stop beating myself up over some of this shit ... it's hard, you know?

Because I see these missing persons cases pop up time and again, and time and again I see a corpse pop up scant weeks or months later. And I'm never going to die, we've all come to terms with this by now, but we didn't know that then! It was a distinct possibility that I was a dead person! I maintained an impossibly low profile for several months!

Anyway, this is really all to say that I hope beyond hope that the young woman whose posters I saw this morning is safe and okay. Because no family deserves the alternative. And the alternative is the reality for far, far too many families.

I don't know. I think I started writing this with a clearer idea of a conclusion paragraph. But for the same reason it's taking me forever to write anything even meaningfully resembling a book, I find it hard to reach a conclusion here - the story goes on. And I've recommitted time and again for maybe literally living forever if for no other reason because other people don't get to, and I wasn't able to figure out how long I'd have to live to properly honour their memory, so I just settled on "forever", which is fine. I'm excited about being a robot, it's gonna be a pretty good time.

:bro:

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.