Options

[Steven Universe] oops all gems

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Also Im still stuanchly holding to my idea that the crystal gems invented weapon summoning.

Nah, homeworld soldiers just use modern weapons instead. They don't need to summon personal weapons, so they never learn, just like Peri and her metal powers.

Peri didnt “never need to learn”. She was born with considerably less resources than her gem requires and is much weaker than she should be.

She certainly thinks so, but there's no telling really. Not like we've seen another Peridot.

In any case, the existence of material weapons being used in the gem war can be an indication that some gems can't summon personal weapons, but doesn't really explain why they can't. Everything we know of homeworld tells me that non-soldier homeworld gems simply aren't taught/allowed, not that they can't.

We have seen flashback to the gem war in which a fight takes place and niether side summons their weapon. Hell they dont use weapons at all. A gaggle of Rubys fist fight Rose and Pearl who sre using swords.

Our Ruby can summon a personal weapon, so the rest probably could as well.
    And yet they didn’t which could mean that weapon some running hadn’t been invented yet.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Also Im still stuanchly holding to my idea that the crystal gems invented weapon summoning.

Nah, homeworld soldiers just use modern weapons instead. They don't need to summon personal weapons, so they never learn, just like Peri and her metal powers.

Peri didnt “never need to learn”. She was born with considerably less resources than her gem requires and is much weaker than she should be.

She certainly thinks so, but there's no telling really. Not like we've seen another Peridot.

In any case, the existence of material weapons being used in the gem war can be an indication that some gems can't summon personal weapons, but doesn't really explain why they can't. Everything we know of homeworld tells me that non-soldier homeworld gems simply aren't taught/allowed, not that they can't.

We have seen flashback to the gem war in which a fight takes place and niether side summons their weapon. Hell they dont use weapons at all. A gaggle of Rubys fist fight Rose and Pearl who sre using swords.

And yet they didn’t which could mean that weapon some running hadn’t been invented yet.

That is certainly possible! But I'm wondering now how, if the Crystal Gems first discovered that power, homeworld would have gained that knowledge. Survivors of the war passed on the knowledge, I guess.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options

That is certainly possible! But I'm wondering now how, if the Crystal Gems first discovered that power, homeworld would have gained that knowledge. Survivors of the war passed on the knowledge, I guess.

Im not sure they have. Jasper is the only homeward Gem to manifest a weapon and she was on earth.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Eyeball and Holly Blue both summon personal weapons. Eyeball is also a veteran, but there's no indication that Holly Blue is.

EDIT: I think Aquamarine does too, actually. Unless that wand is a tech gadget. Also Topaz; she even summons a fusion weapon IIRC.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I think it would explain
    Why Rose (and therefore Steven) has such an incredibly broad range of powers, much moreso than the other gems. And why she can create life, including making plants into sentient warriors. Perhaps the life-giving ability is the reason Diamonds even have colonies, why kindergardens aren't filled with lifeless rocks but living, sentient gems.

It would also explain why Pearl has such a devastating attachment to Rose. Because all the Pearls seem designed to have such a powerful love and a unity of spirit with their diamonds.

Quartz isn’t the only one with a broader range of powers than her peers.
    Peridot has demonstrated powers unknown to her or other gems. Pearl too to a more limited degree. It seems clear to me that most gems are capable of quite a bit more than what they believe. They only seem to be limited by their oppressive society that discourages attempting anything outside of one’s role.

Am I forgetting something about Peridot? We arnt talking about her metal powers are we? Because Peridots absolutely have those powers. The more recent Peridots are just seriously weakened do to resource shortage.

I don’t recall it ever being said or shown that other peridots have that power. Did I miss something?

In the episode where her powers are introduced Peri inform Steven that she is a weak varient of Peridots that startes to be produced due to a resource shortage. She says that Peridots from before them had/have metal powers.

Having just rewatched it to check she doesn’t quite say this. She only says she doesn’t have any powers. That’s not the same as other Peridots having the ability to control metal.

What is made clear is that she definitely does not steal Steven’s clothes while he’s sleeping.

• Options
    Eyeball and Holly Blue both summon personal weapons. Eyeball is also a veteran, but there's no indication that Holly Blue is.

EDIT: I think Aquamarine does too, actually. Unless that wand is a tech gadget. Also Topaz; she even summons a fusion weapon IIRC.

Your right. I haven't thought about this theory since those characters showed up. My bad about that part.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I mean, it still could have happened that way. There's gotta be some reason most homeworld gems don't know how to do it. I've just assumed it was a class thing.

• Options
    I mean, it still could have happened that way. There's gotta be some reason most homeworld gems don't know how to do it. I've just assumed it was a class thing.

Oh no yeah I still think at the very least only combat gems are taught it and that it very likely spawned from the war and specifically the crystal gems needing to find a way to arm their non-experienced recruits. Not everybody is going to be willing to pull a Pearl and learn to fight with a sword from humans. Man that's a story I can't wait to hear more about.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It’s a testament to this show’s writing that I started out loathing Pearl and now can’t wait to find out how she became who she is.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Didn't they confirm Lapis's water wings are her weapon?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    these are a lot of twists and turns but what is the thematic purpose of any of it

Well,
    The central theme of the show is that people are complex, and that even what seems like an irredeemable person has value and merit, and can change and be a better person. It's 100% on theme for Rose to have started out as a spoiled brat who didn't care about destroying people, who through her experiences realized the value in others.

We've certainly already been given bits and pieces about that Rose that show she was a worse person before she became a Crystal Gem. Her ending up to be the shittiest of the diamonds would just drive that home.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options

Yeah but that was way early and the SU crew have a tendency to answer questions that would be to spoilery in a way that is only technically true.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular

Yeah but that was way early and the SU crew have a tendency to answer questions that would be to spoilery in a way that is only technically true.

I'm willing to let it slide that being able to manipulate over a quintillion gallons of water without much strain is a weaponized ability...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Man I forgot how good episodes were. Now I need more. I wonder if we'll get any more before the summer.

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Man I forgot how good episodes were. Now I need more. I wonder if we'll get any more before the summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC_XT-HdBvE

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC_XT-HdBvE

https://youtu.be/NIgfiSzCy1o

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I mean I would say there's a pretty good chance.

• Options
    just pokin' fun.

we've had some dry spells, but amazingly, still not as bad as Gravity Falls dry spells, I think?
    My perception might be blurred because I'm thinking ''more episodes'' when it might actually be the same amount of run time over a period of days/months.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Yeah I think if you actually counted all the episodes out and considered them releasing on a regular weekly schedule it would have been a pretty regular schedule.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the only time I think the stevenbomb structure has actually worked is the first one

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    just pokin' fun.

we've had some dry spells, but amazingly, still not as bad as Gravity Falls dry spells, I think?
    My perception might be blurred because I'm thinking ''more episodes'' when it might actually be the same amount of run time over a period of days/months.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Don't remind me, Geek.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    just pokin' fun.

I disagree. Gravity Falls had some long downtimes, but they did stick to a pretty standard air each half of a season over 5 months-ish.

• Options
    The last few episodes of Gravity Falls took like almost a year to come out.

Although to be fair I think that was because of legitimate production issues and because Alex Hirsh got burnt out.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    The first 9 episodes of GF season 2 started Aug 1, 2014 and ran until Nov 26th 2014.

The second half of season 2 ran February 16, 2015 to November 23, 2015 with a two month break from that episode till the season finale feb 15th 2016.

That doesn't seem too bad? Then again I give them a pass cause, 22 minute episodes, and venture Bros has conditioned me that ten 22 minute episodes in a year is pretty good.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I really hope they don't do anything to undermine the idea of rose first degree assassinating pink diamond

They already did.
    In the Wanted episodes during the The Trial they pretty much spell it out that Rose assassinating Pink Diamond actually didn’t make any practical sense.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    I really hope they don't do anything to undermine the idea of rose first degree assassinating pink diamond

They already did.
    In the Wanted episodes during the The Trial they pretty much spell it out that Rose assassinating Pink Diamond actually didn’t make any practical sense.
    oh there's definitely more to the story but rose quartz needs to maintain her culpability and have murdered pink diamond as she was unarmed and begging for her life

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Pink is an offcolor. She was supposed to be Red.
    The more I think about it the more I like this idea!

Pink was born "wrong", without the size and level of maturity that a diamond is "supposed" to have. The other three kind of kept her out of the public eye for a while, to shield her and/or out of embarassment, but eventually they gave her the Earth colony to make her happy/in hopes that she grew into the role and showed some glimmer of the diamond she was supposed to be. She didn't. White Diamond thought it was more merciful/healthier for the empire to put her out of her so-called misery, but Blue and Yellow were too attached to her and wouldn't have agreed, so she conspired with Rose to have her assassinated in secret. Now White, consumed with shame and grief, rarely makes public appearances anymore.

It totally works, and creates a nice symmetry in terms of how the Diamonds saw Pink versus how Rose and the Crystal Gems see Steven, in terms of a gem existing in a state of innocence rather than being fully-formed. Maybe that's even part of the reason why Rose became Steven. To give a gem who started out like Pink Diamond the chance to live and grow, and see how she might have turned out if she had survived.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    See, my theory is:
    The Diamonds grow up over time, since modern day Yellow looks way older/angular and larger/taller than the Yellow we saw in the memory. I believe Yellow in the memory is a young adult who is relatively fresh on the scene, has only conquered a few planets at that point, and is basically in charge of babysitting Pink. Over time, Pink grows up and then is given the Earth as her first project once she's reached "adult" age/size for a Diamond. My theory is that she watched Yellow and the other diamonds have to sit and direct everything from their Moon bases, so she comes up with the idea to take pieces of herself and use them to create a caste of Gems (the Rose Quartz) nearly as powerful as a Diamond that she could delegate responsibilities to, allowing her to have more time to herself or even to conquer multiple planets at the same time. Something happens and one of the Rose Quartz turns on Pink, leading to the rest of the Rose Quartz being treated as loaded guns and bubbled so they can be locked away. Later Pink is assassinated by the rogue Rose Quartz who is now leading a rebellion against the rest of the Gems to free the Earth from their grasp.

Also, as part of this, I think Pink, Yellow, and Blue are effectively siblings while White is effectively their mother. They feel like they're on levels equal with each other while White feels like she's been elevated above them all.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

They already did.
    oh there's definitely more to the story but rose quartz needs to maintain her culpability and have murdered pink diamond as she was unarmed and begging for her life

I don't understand why
    It's less of a murder if the person who died was "actually" a Rose Quartz and not a Diamond.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options

They already did.

I don't understand why
    It's less of a murder if the person who died was "actually" a Rose Quartz and not a Diamond.
    it's not, but it's a lot more plot footwork for not much more thematic gain

I think what probably happened is that white engineered the circumstances that allowed rose to do a murder, but rose definitely still did the damn thing

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I think maybe.
    A diamonds size is somehow related to the number of planets they have and pink was small because she didn’t have any

• Options
    I think maybe.
    A diamonds size is somehow related to the number of planets they have and pink was small because she didn’t have any

Based on some past stuff we've seen,
    with Amethyst, it seems like an immature gem (meaning not fully formed or whatever, a "child" in their lexicon, but still could be a thousand years old) starts out small in stature. I don't think there's anything more to it than that she was the most recently formed gem of the Diamonds.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I think maybe.

with Amethyst, it seems like an immature gem (meaning not fully formed or whatever, a "child" in their lexicon, but still could be a thousand years old) starts out small in stature. I don't think there's anything more to it than that she was the most recently formed gem of the Diamonds.

Gems do not grow*. Amethyst is smaller than she should be because her hole was wrong in some way

*as far as we are aware.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    What is Diamonds are
    made from entire planets

• Options
    I think maybe.

Gems do not grow*. Amethyst is smaller than she should be because her hole was wrong in some way

*as far as we are aware.

Oh how soon they forget.

80's Toddler Amethyst

eyvxyXh.jpg
    wz69Dni.png

• Options
    zsnbh9n0daik.jpg

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I think maybe.

*as far as we are aware.

Oh how soon they forget.

80's Toddler Amethyst

eyvxyXh.jpg
    wz69Dni.png

You can't really use other episodes for reference though the staff is pretty clear there's no style guidelines or size charts. Everyone just sorta freestyles. I mean Peridot at one point had the proportions of Connie then slowly became a cat

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Their bodies are light projections. And that episode, Story for Steven, made a lot of effort to frame Amethyst as mentally younger than the others. I don't think it's a coincidence that they made her smaller that time as well to match her seeming mental age.

• Options
    I think maybe.

*as far as we are aware.

Oh how soon they forget.

80's Toddler Amethyst

eyvxyXh.jpg
    wz69Dni.png

You can't really use other episodes for reference though the staff is pretty clear there's no style guidelines or size charts. Everyone just sorta freestyles. I mean Peridot at one point had the proportions of Connie then slowly became a cat

And specifically those episodes every gem that wasnt rose was drawn smaller to give them the appearance of being somewhat children compared to Rose.

Quire.jpg