As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    So, I have one firespray from the orignal 1.0 expansion. That's the only scum ship I have. So I bought a 2.0 firespray expansion so that I can run one (1) scum list: dual firespray.

Thoughts on loadouts?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand all the hullabaloo about the promo deck

I understand on the core level of "they promised a thing and then did a very bad job on delivering it"

but I don't understand why anyone would actually want that deck? it's actively harder to use than the standard damage deck because of the size of the cards! if you have a lot of upgrades, table space is already at a premium!

With it you can play a proper two player game without having to buy a second core set. Most things can be shared, but the damage decks are supposed to be one per player.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I mainly want it because it looks cool, and about 40-50% of why I play this game is how cool it looks.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Damage decks are supposed to be one per player?! I somehow have forever missed that rule.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Fun little list, and I don't think it even needs a conversion kit.

Vader, Supernatural, FCS.
    Iden, Del, Howl all with Crack Shot.

TIEs fly in formation, Vader goes off to flank.

Worried that it doesn't make enough use of those overlapping TIE auras, and that I should I complete the formation and use a cheaper ace, since Vader's never going to be flying in with those guys.

Although I could use something other than a TIE fighter too, since Howl and Del don't care...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    All of my core set, damage deck, and rebels cards are sleeved! I also cleared out one of my planos to make room for all the new tokens. Tomorrow I plan to clear out the old ship bases and maneuver dials from my hardware cabinet thingy.

Also, some quick math says I need approximately 478 more card sleeves...

• Options
    All of my core set, damage deck, and rebels cards are sleeved! I also cleared out one of my planos to make room for all the new tokens. Tomorrow I plan to clear out the old ship bases and maneuver dials from my hardware cabinet thingy.

(I have gone through ~320 or so, so far)

• Options
    Friend got me a core 2.0 and bonus damage deck as a belated birthday gift.

Guess I'm in this now.

Hoping maybe the secondary market is decent because I need just two IG-2000 setups for scum, and nothing else.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options

((I have ordered 800 more))

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

((I have ordered 800 more))

You should have ordered 66.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Someone give me some Scum buying advice. Assuming I totally want the Lando Falcon, what else should I get? It seems like if you really load up the Falcon you could run like, a single Fang along side it. Is loading up the Falcon good? How is the escape pod? Would it be better to go more minimal with the Falcon and go Slave 1? Really strip down the Falcon and go two fang?

• Options
    Are we talking for fun or tournaments?

If you load up the Falcon, it's going to be a big bullseye target to drop as soon as possible. A few bad rolls and you could find yourself without a lot of points.
    You'll need something to help control damage, or give them other targets of opportunity, or make them pay for ignoring your other ships.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Are we talking for fun or tournaments?

If you load up the Falcon, it's going to be a big bullseye target to drop as soon as possible. A few bad rolls and you could find yourself without a lot of points.
    You'll need something to help control damage, or give them other targets of opportunity, or make them pay for ignoring your other ships.

Mostly for fun but possibly tournament optional?

I think loading shit up with points has been a bit of my problem in the squad builder. Like you said 1) big glaring target and 2) it's probably difficult to get a lot of extra mileage out of your big fat ships that just adding more attacking dice in another ship. I just have problems finding that line of "oh no this is essential to strategy" and "this is nice to have but if you cut four upgrades across your list you could just have another TIE Fighter."

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    As a Scum player, I can't recommend the Fangs enough. They're fun little ships to fly and pack a decent punch, especially if you give them Fearless and joust hard with them.

I'd also suggest a Kihraxz or a StarViper if you want. The Kihraxz packs a mean punch and decently tough. Your opponent would have to choose between the Falcon getting turret shots (potentially out of both arcs if you bring the Veteran Turret Gunner) and the Kihraxz getting to ships out of Falcon arc. And the StarVipers are great support ships and hard to nail down.

• Options
    Sorry I should have specified stuff currently available in 2.0 packaging.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Oh. Go with Fangs, then. The Falcon is a decent enough ship on its own with minimal, but I think could be really good with Lando piloting and L3-37 in the escape pod as a co-pilot. That should leave you enough points to squeeze in a couple of generic Fangs.

Actually, if you include Han and Chewie along with Lando and L3-37 (and the escape pod), you can squeeze in Fenn Rau and a Zealous Recruit with 3 whole points left over.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Two fangs is kind of the way I was leaning (I think the Firespray is a goofy looking design) so that's good.

Would it be better to spend the 3 on Fearless?

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I really like 1.0 Fangs. Had to pick up a 2.0 one as well for the movable wings.
    Pairing 2 with the Falcon is a pretty good idea.

You could also upgrade to Han as a pilot as well:
    Customized YT-1300 Light Freighter - Han Solo - 65
    •Han Solo - The Corellian Kid (54)
    Trick Shot (1)
    Chewbacca (4)
    Lando’s Millennium Falcon (6)

Escape Craft - L3-37 - 22
    •L3-37 - Droid Revolutionary (22)

Fang Fighter - Fenn Rau - 68
    •Fenn Rau - Skull Leader (68)

Fang Fighter - Zealous Recruit - 44
    Zealous Recruit - (44)

Total: 199/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Fearless is great on Fenn, but I feel like loading him up with too many points is getting a bit too close to liability territory. 4 hull isn't much. A bad set of rolls could set you back quite a bit, though Concordia Faceoff and Fenn's pilot ability mitigate that a little bit. It depends if you want that 3-point initiative bid, which may be better with Lando at initiative 4, since that seems to be a pretty common initiative value.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    The Firespray is a goofy ship and I am terrible at flying it, so I never recommend it.

Fearless is never a bad idea on Fangs. You could even drop Han or Chewie from the Falcon and get it on both of the Fangs, but then you don't have a fun canon party bus Falcon to fly around in, or swap Fenn Rau for Old Teroch or another pilot to save a few points to get Fearless on both.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    How do you divide up the people in the Falcon party bus? I feel like Lando's pilot ability is pretty strong although maybe there's not that much difference between that and the crew ability? L3 flying the Falcon since her ability is not useful on the escape craft. But then who flies the escape craft? Han on the Falcon, Lando in the escape craft, L3 and Chewie as crew? Also mildly irritated that Chewie isn't a pilot option.

What about Lando crew, Han gunner, with a perceptive co-pilot? You could generate like four freaking focus tokens a turn and get a bunch of rerolls.

Edit: I just realized I'd have to buy the Firespray specifically for the copilot. ANNOYING!

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    Remember with the escape pod docked that the Falcon gets the escape pod's pilot ability. L3 on the escape pod is definitely still useful. Spend the 3 shields on the Falcon first, then spend the 2 shields on the pod, then finally hull. Jettison when the Falcon starts to get low on hull.

• Options
    Remember with the escape pod docked that the Falcon gets the escape pod's pilot ability. L3 on the escape pod is definitely still useful. Spend the 3 shields on the Falcon first, then spend the 2 shields on the pod, then finally hull. Jettison when the Falcon starts to get low on hull.

I was just thinking her ability while separated in the escape pod is not useful.

Is the escape pod a decent ship for the cost? I mean stats wise it seems pretty cheap. 2 shields 2 hull for 2 green and red dice? Or is it primarily a way to get some extra shields and a copilot ability on the falcon?

• Options
    The pod is pretty cheap, actually. Z-95 statline is not impressive but it can finish something off.

If the suicide drone wasn't unqiue I would try running nothing but those on Vassal and it would be dumb.

• Options
    Also random question: is there a point to shields being two sided instead of just discarded when lost?

• Options
    As a standalone ship, it's probably ok, aside from the dial. Closest comparison is going to be a Z-95.
    Lando (I4) is 1 point cheaper than a Black Sun Solider Z95 (I3). It's missing missile and illicit slots, but has a crew slot instead. The escape craft has a white barrel roll vs the Z's red, and a red coordinate instead of a white TL.

The dial is where the Z beats it basically. The escape craft has a red stop, blue 1 banks and straight, blue 2 straight, white 2 banks, red(!) 2 turns, and white 3 banks and straight maneuvers. The Z has 3 and 4 k-turns as its only red maneuvers, and also has a white 4 straight. It also has white 2 and 3 turns, and its 2 banks are blue instead of its 1-banks. Its 3 straight is blue as well.

I think this all pretty much adds up to an escape craft that has trouble keeping anything on-target.
    It would probably be a pretty decent support ship as Scum's only access to the Coordinate action, actually, especially with a Tactical Officer to change the red coordinate to white for only 2 points. At that point, you'd be best off shadowing your other ships at Range 2, and otherwise just avoiding fighting as much as possible.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Also random question: is there a point to shields being two sided instead of just discarded when lost?

I have definitely seen folks (really just one guy) "accidentally" put shield tokens back on a ship before...
    It also makes it easier to never regain shields over your shield value. You never remove or add shield tokens; you just expend or recharge your existing tokens.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Ease of bookkeeping mostly, is my guess.

You start with 3 shields, so you put 3 tokens on your ship card, and there should always be 3 tokens on your ship card. Rather than in 1.0, where they'd move off an on and if, e.g., you had a Shield Upgrade card you couldn't easily reference something to see if you've got the right number of shields there.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    First 2.0 game last night. Double Khiziz fighters with double Z-95 backup vs triple TIE interceptors with an Aggressor backup.

Interceptors are much less annoying now. Though one did manage to survive back to back 5 dice attacks without a scratch, and I never got them in arc for the proton rockets.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    I've tinkered with quite a few 5-6 TIE Fighter lists because honestly it's the most appealing thing to me right now buuuut I do own this TIE Advanced. What's a good list to do with that? Vader + TIE aces? Is Wampa good? Do you toss Afterburners on to get some more movement and just try to continually arc dodge? Or do you just throw her out there to force a decision between making her defend or attacking some other higher value target?

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    Wampa I would run naked and just rely on the hard decision.

• Options
    I would probably do something like this:
    TIE/ln Fighter - Black Squadron Ace - 27
    Black Squadron Ace - (26)
    Crack Shot (1)

TIE/ln Fighter - Black Squadron Ace - 27
    Black Squadron Ace - (26)
    Crack Shot (1)

TIE/ln Fighter - “Howlrunner” - 43
    •“Howlrunner” - Obsidian Leader (40)
    Swarm Tactics (3)

TIE/ln Fighter - “Wampa” - 30
    •“Wampa” - Black Eleven (30)

TIE Advanced x1 - Darth Vader - 73
    •Darth Vader - Black Leader (70)
    Fire-Control System (3)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Howl+Swarm Tactics means you're *almost* guaranteed to get your extra-die shot with Wampa. If they do have an Initiative 5+ pilot (and the initiative), it forces them right then and there to decide between attacking Howl to try to remove the rerolls, or prevent Wampa from getting the extra die. Without ST, they can delay shooting at Wampa until they've already tried to attack (or possibly taken out) Howl earlier in the round.

• Options
    Is supernatural reflexes not super good on Vader? It seems very good.

• Options
    Is supernatural reflexes not super good on Vader? It seems very good.

It's expensive. Very good (can vader for more actions off it before a tallon for instance), but expensive.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I shouldn't be surprised that this app is terrible, but I kind of am

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Yo, keep these questions coming too. I've been a bit directionless and somewhat overwhelmed when trying to come up with list ideas, and your questions are super duper helpful for that, @ChaosHat

edit: goes for anyone else too. I like making lists!
    I've also been kicking around the idea of a list-making "contest" of some sort.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Definitely contemplating a Double Decimator list since picking the second one up at that swap meet.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Oh I can ask some dang questions...

The TIE Advanced seems not very popular online aside from Vader. Why?

Which are the best six TIE aces to run as a unit? I'm leaning towards this:
    Iden Versio (40)

"Scourge" Skutu (32)
    Predator (2)

"Wampa" (30)

Seyn Marana (30)
    Marksmanship (1)

Gideon Hask (30)

Del Meeko (30)

Total: 195

Is Mauler Mithel better than Scourge? If I had ONE more point I'd drop Scourge for Howlrunner probably? Should I try to get Howl in anyways? Should I just run five Aces to add Howl and cram the ties with some shields or something with the remaining points?

I had an idea for an XXY list using Dutch to dish out the target locks to X-Wings to torpedo shit up. Is this a good idea?
    Wedge Antilles (52)
    Outmaneuver (6)
    Proton Torpedoes (9)
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Luke Skywalker (62)
    Supernatural Reflexes (12)
    Proton Torpedoes (9)
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)

"Dutch" Vander (42)
    Expert Handling (2)
    Ion Torpedoes (6)

Total: 200

If not, what would you do for an XXY?

Who would you run in a three X-Wing set? This is what I did.
    Luke Skywalker (62)
    Supernatural Reflexes (12)
    Proton Torpedoes (9)
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Wedge Antilles (52)
    Outmaneuver (6)
    Proton Torpedoes (9)
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Garven Dreis (X-Wing) (47)
    Crack Shot (1)
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Total: 198

I guess that's it for now.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Yo, keep these questions coming too. I've been a bit directionless and somewhat overwhelmed when trying to come up with list ideas, and your questions are super duper helpful for that, @ChaosHat

edit: goes for anyone else too. I like making lists!
    I've also been kicking around the idea of a list-making "contest" of some sort.

Thoughts on a double firespray scum list?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Yes, drop Scourge and an upgrade on someone for Howlrunner. Howlrunner is really strong. 6 naked TIE aces is where you'd end up it looks like, but... eh. Seyn doesn't need to proc her ability really, you have enough volume of fire to punch through aces.

I would say the most important TIE aces are Del, Howl, and Iden since they all benefit your entire list.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Yes, drop Scourge and an upgrade on someone for Howlrunner. Howlrunner is really strong. 6 naked TIE aces is where you'd end up it looks like, but... eh. Seyn doesn't need to proc her ability really, you have enough volume of fire to punch through aces.

So, in order to fit Howlrunner I'd have to drop Scourge AND my only other upgrade is Marksmanship on Seyn Marana which seems pretty integral to the whole set up. Dropping an early damage past shields activates Gideon Hask and Del Meeko's abilities and without Marksmanship it seems like they might not go off until much later in the game. Is it still worth it?

I suppose I could also downgrade Wampa to Night Beast or Valen Rudor. I could also swap Iden Versio for someone but the ability to prevent a TIE Fighter from dying one time seems pretty strong, especially if that TIE is say, Howlrunner.

ChaosHat on