As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Organichu's Self-Indulgent Cooking [chat]

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    It's not too late to go back in time 10 years ago and cancel TF2.

... but TF2 was good...
    Stopping the loot crates demands sacrifices from us all.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So, I raged at Destiny 2 hard last night.

It was just one mission, and it was horrible design.

I'm on Nessus and get a mission to scan some data things that are on these floating platforms. Many of these floating platforms are over a bottomless drop. These floating platforms electrify intermittently. They also have enemy spawns. You have to jump between them, avoiding the electrified surface while doing these scans and being shot at. The longer it went, the angrier I became. That is bad design because you have to jump through them in order to get to the ones at the end, so if you fall off, even if you fall off over the ground and don't die, you have to start the fuck over. I was getting super pissed.

The final enemy that I had to kill I ended up sniping from the ground and ignoring whatever drops it left because I was so tired of trying to jump through these platforms while the constant respawns would shoot me midair and knock me down.

haha porp was still struggling with learning to jump/platform but I insisted on doing it together so we spent

probably an hour? doing that mission. lol fun times no our marriage is fine don't ask.

*walks in on Shark telling a story*

"...and she was grabbing me REALLY hard and yelling YOU DID THIS TO ME YOU SON OF A BITCH THIS IS YOUR FAULT."

"Oh, talking about the birth of one of your children, eh?"

".......no."

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    anyone want to check something for me quick?

go to guardian.gg and type in Sir Landshark

I just get endless spinning wheels idk if it's broked or if it's something on my end
    I get all the stats to come up.

Same here.

Did you do this just to brag, Landshark?

"Oh hey, can you guys check my stats here, I'm uh....it's not working on my end....probably everybody should look at this page just to be sure...."
    Probably not, considering that his stats aren't really brag-worthy... *presses cigarette into Shark's ego*

will I ever impress you father
    *lowers glasses while looking up from newspaper* What was that, son? *raises eyebrow, returns to reading newspaper*

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    anyone want to check something for me quick?

go to guardian.gg and type in Sir Landshark

I just get endless spinning wheels idk if it's broked or if it's something on my end
    I get all the stats to come up.

Same here.

Did you do this just to brag, Landshark?

"Oh hey, can you guys check my stats here, I'm uh....it's not working on my end....probably everybody should look at this page just to be sure...."
    Probably not, considering that his stats aren't really brag-worthy... *presses cigarette into Shark's ego*

will I ever impress you father

no

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

I'm on Nessus and get a mission to scan some data things that are on these floating platforms. Many of these floating platforms are over a bottomless drop. These floating platforms electrify intermittently. They also have enemy spawns. You have to jump between them, avoiding the electrified surface while doing these scans and being shot at. The longer it went, the angrier I became. That is bad design because you have to jump through them in order to get to the ones at the end, so if you fall off, even if you fall off over the ground and don't die, you have to start the fuck over. I was getting super pissed.

The final enemy that I had to kill I ended up sniping from the ground and ignoring whatever drops it left because I was so tired of trying to jump through these platforms while the constant respawns would shoot me midair and knock me down.

haha porp was still struggling with learning to jump/platform but I insisted on doing it together so we spent

probably an hour? doing that mission. lol fun times no our marriage is fine don't ask.

Making you start over again and again is a quick way to get me to nope out and never come back. The fact that it was just a single task and the rest of the game isn't like that got me through, but generally, if a fail state in a game makes me redo the same stuff over and over and over, I quit and never come back.

Roguelikes are my antithesis.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

If you get Mario you can have porp control the hat :)

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    "Sir Landshark"

https://guardian.gg/2/profile/4611686018439889661/Sir Landshark

That's what it pulled up, pretty quickly. Might be an Internet Explorer thing.

sigh my dumb work keeping me from doing not-work

This violation of your civil rights

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Alright, Liliana didn't let me down like she did this morning.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

I haven't seen anyone actually try this yet but it sounds infuriating.

• Options
    navgoose wrote: »

Is that the Liliana that kills everything not zombie? Because that one is cray cray.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

More or less infuriating than playing New SMB with someone whose sole purpose is killing you?

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    hahaha ok I got it working on my phone

@porp 's elo in survival is 1337

yessssss

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man I never had an issue with any jumping missions on nessus.

Just spoiler alert might want to skip IO if that bugs you.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2017

I dunno. I did a session or two where friends collected stars in mario galaxy and it was fun enough. At least this one seems like there is more you can do with it.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Making you start over again and again is a quick way to get me to nope out and never come back. The fact that it was just a single task and the rest of the game isn't like that got me through, but generally, if a fail state in a game makes me redo the same stuff over and over and over, I quit and never come back.

I didn't really like the raid jumping in Destiny 1 because I couldn't practice it anywhere on my own and it was annoying to hold up a group trying to learn some pattern and git gud

desc on
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »

Is that the Liliana that kills everything not zombie? Because that one is cray cray.

The mobile game. So she was the planeswalker. Beat werewolf lady pretty good and made both event bonuses.

Shut up I can put it down whenever I want.

• Options

I dunno. I did a session or two where friends collected stars in mario galaxy and it was fun enough. At least this one seems like there is more you can do with it.

Well yeah the Mario Galaxy thing was pretty unobtrusive. You still have full mario controller the other player can just help collect star bits or whatever. The hat in Odyssey is a HUGE part of mario's controls. It's more like SNES Mechwarrior where one person is controlling legs and the other person controlling torso.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    that nessus platform mission is really easy if everything goes right and frustrating af if not

also some tips for it
    if you don't kill everything on a platform, the platform doesn't respawn, so basically just focus on killing the hobgoblins, harpies, and fanatics -- the goblins are mostly harmless from a distance

have a scout rifle so you can shoot hobgoblins on platforms from far away because some of the platforms spawn before you're on that set

damage the end hydra from the platform below and hop away while it electrifies instead of hopping up to that platform

but also, yeah, i've run that mission at least eight times now and it basically is obnoxious at best

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

It wasn't the platforming part that gave me trouble. It was the electrified surface meaning I couldn't stay on a platform to kill enemies, and the enemies shooting me knocked me down mid flight meaning I was either A) Dying on the platform when it electrified or B) Falling down when I got shot because I was trying to avoid an electrified platform.

I haven't had any trouble jumping across chasms and stuff anywhere else. It was the circumstances of that one that was bad.

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    "Sir Landshark"

https://guardian.gg/2/profile/4611686018439889661/Sir Landshark

That's what it pulled up, pretty quickly. Might be an Internet Explorer thing.

sigh my dumb work keeping me from doing not-work

This violation of your civil rights

I didn't really like the raid jumping in Destiny 1 because I couldn't practice it anywhere on my own and it was annoying to hold up a group trying to learn some pattern and git gud

Yeah the raid jumps were always for me less them being difficult and more my social anxiety for keeping others from moving forward because I sucked. Well that and I mained hunter in destiny 1 and jumping puzzles without the bones sucked.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

It wasn't the platforming part that gave me trouble. It was the electrified surface meaning I couldn't stay on a platform to kill enemies, and the enemies shooting me knocked me down mid flight meaning I was either A) Dying on the platform when it electrified or B) Falling down when I got shot because I was trying to avoid an electrified platform.

I haven't had any trouble jumping across chasms and stuff anywhere else. It was the circumstances of that one that was bad.

Are you playing pc? Maybe there is some different shooting aspect on pc that makes this harder than console.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Are you playing pc? Maybe there is some different shooting aspect on pc that makes this harder than console.

trying to kill everything on its own platform instead of from other platforms makes things harder

jumping in general is a bit trickier on PC, spacebar jumping just isn't as smooth as controller button jumping

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

...I had to ask for help on this forum, because I could not figure out the last platforming sequence, because I simply could not do one of the jumps with my dumb warlock glide (turns out it was not a mandatory jump and there was an alternate route).

I actually liked that mission, though. But I did die a lot, especially just trying that jump over and over again.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »

trying to kill everything on its own platform instead of from other platforms makes things harder

jumping in general is a bit trickier on PC, spacebar jumping just isn't as smooth as controller button jumping

Feels good to me but it feels like Tribes so maybe just me.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    TrgUyR0.jpg

ok but did y'all know how tough it is to be a sleepy pair of dogs

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options

Feels good to me but it feels like Tribes so maybe just me.

it might be a combination of me not playing FPSes at all other than destiny and being used to controller

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Warlock jumps are horrendous so I can't imagine doing that section

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    *bangs gavel* The Society for Remembering Manners and Attempting to be Human and Kind Sometimes will now come to order

First order of business: bring gracious in email or other electronic formats primarily defined by the written word

the ppups agree

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    "Reverting to black after the refreshing “robot white” colouring of the Xbox One S, it’s a truly minimalist slab of modern consumer electronics design taking up less space than any previous Xbox iteration. Microsoft claims to have employed cutting-edge engineering techniques to achieve its sleek form factor, including a vapour chamber cooling system, which has led to an impressively quiet machine."

THE XBOX ONE X VAPES

• Options
    I'm so used to Warlock jump I'm just confused most of the time when people say it is bad. You have so much control over where you want to go!

It's probably just ingrained into me at this point.

• Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    aren't lampreys parasites, not predators?

• Options
    edited November 2017

I'm on PC, but it wasn't the jumping, it was the being shot while I was jumping instantly knocking me to the ground + dying on an electrified platform if I stopped to kill enemies before I jumped.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »

...I had to ask for help on this forum, because I could not figure out the last platforming sequence, because I simply could not do one of the jumps with my dumb warlock glide (turns out it was not a mandatory jump and there was an alternate route).

I actually liked that mission, though. But I did die a lot, especially just trying that jump over and over again.

it occurs to me now you might have been talking about trying to go from the very first section of three platforms to the rest of the platforms directly instead of jumping down and running around on the ground and had i realized that when you were asking, the solution would have been a lot more clear to me because for the life of me i couldn't think of a specific place where the jump itself would have been particularly difficult to land :P

• Options
    I'm so used to Warlock jump I'm just confused most of the time when people say it is bad. You have so much control over where you want to go!

I'm not sure that it's bad, but it's different than any jumping mechanic I've ever experienced--and in general I don't play games where you run around and jump and shoot things--so it's a new technique to learn.

...Also I'm still totally not done with the main story and I'm at power level 220? I feel like progression was maybe scaled for people who don't compulsively do every single sidequest. Or maybe this is as intended.

• Options

it occurs to me now you might have been talking about trying to go from the very first section of three platforms to the rest of the platforms directly instead of jumping down and running around on the ground and had i realized that when you were asking, the solution would have been a lot more clear to me because for the life of me i couldn't think of a specific place where the jump itself would have been particularly difficult to land :P

Haha yeah, the level design is usually very nice about not making you backtrack so I figured I was supposed to directly go from one section to another. And the jump was so close to doable that it seemed possible the solution was just to git gud...

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    D2 is taking ~20 hours to install, I might not have any time to try it before I go to New York

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

I'm not sure that it's bad, but it's different than any jumping mechanic I've ever experienced--and in general I don't play games where you run around and jump and shoot things--so it's a new technique to learn.

...Also I'm still totally not done with the main story and I'm at power level 220? I feel like progression was maybe scaled for people who don't compulsively do every single sidequest. Or maybe this is as intended.
    I once power-leveled a character from 1-20 by sitting on the open world section of Earth/Europe and doing public events, just to see if it will affect rewards (It does not). It did not take very long, either, since Public Events give you a butt-load of XP and I had gear waiting for me at every step of the way.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    kedinik wrote: »
    D2 is taking ~20 hours to install, I might not have any time to try it before I go to New York

This is an outrage

• Options

yeah, side quests and public events speed up your leveling pretty drastically

• Options
    if you only do the main story missions, you'll hit level gates between planets

This discussion has been closed.