Options

Organichu's Self-Indulgent Cooking [chat]

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    i am proud of myself only having spent money on eververse once so far in D2 :P

i'm such a fuckin whale

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Every time I read the star wars galaxy of war thread I see people like myself locked in a shitty cell phone game treadmill and I want to help them, but I don't want to be that guy in a game thread saying "stop playing this awful game, its terrible and its bad for you."

I know two people who play it and I gave it a serious whirl for like two weeks

I joined a guild at random and a guy in guild chat was expressing dismay that it wasn't his paycheck week because otherwise he could buy a $99.99 hero pack (I went and looked it up in the in-game store)

And I felt great trepidation then

That's alarming.

I've noped out of mobile gaming entirely because it's all the same bullshit and there's almost no good games in a sea of absolute junk, but there are people paying hundreds of dollars for those packs? Like, there is not a single way that value proposition makes it past even the most cursory thought in my head.

There are stories of people spending thousands literal thousands of dollars to gain competitive edge.

I forget where I heard it but the studio will analyze the flavor of specific whales and put out extremely expensive shit because they know that Mr. Whale15 WILL buy it, and maybe they'll sell a couple more of that item on top of that. And depending on game maybe that item is something that'll cost them 1 work day.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Every time I read the star wars galaxy of war thread I see people like myself locked in a shitty cell phone game treadmill and I want to help them, but I don't want to be that guy in a game thread saying "stop playing this awful game, its terrible and its bad for you."

I know two people who play it and I gave it a serious whirl for like two weeks

I joined a guild at random and a guy in guild chat was expressing dismay that it wasn't his paycheck week because otherwise he could buy a $99.99 hero pack (I went and looked it up in the in-game store)

And I felt great trepidation then

That's alarming.

I've noped out of mobile gaming entirely because it's all the same bullshit and there's almost no good games in a sea of absolute junk, but there are people paying hundreds of dollars for those packs? Like, there is not a single way that value proposition makes it past even the most cursory thought in my head.

There are stories of people spending thousands literal thousands of dollars to gain competitive edge.

I forget where I heard it but the studio will analyze the flavor of specific whales and put out extremely expensive shit because they know that Mr. Whale15 WILL buy it, and maybe they'll sell a couple more of that item on top of that. And depending on game maybe that item is something that'll cost them 1 work day.

Okay, now THAT shit should be regulated.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    anyone want to check something for me quick?

go to guardian.gg and type in Sir Landshark

I just get endless spinning wheels idk if it's broked or if it's something on my end

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

i'm such a fuckin whale

Yeah me too. I bought like the initial silver offering and then nothing else since then. If only I had avoided buying shadow of war I'd feel smart.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Game designer to publisher: okay so our plan is to literally prey on people, like a lamprey

• Options
    Then again I put too much money into STO so my whale tendencies are always there.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Loot crates should probably be regulated too.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Game designer to publisher: okay so our plan is to literally prey on people, like a lamprey

The Visa Crucible

• Options
    I am the opposite of a whale I am a shark

but also idk I have severe mental barriers to in game purchases. I hardly ever even buy DLC for games I really like

• Options

If nothing else it should be mandatory to spell out percentages of the payout like is required in Japan

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Desc there is a mobile MTG and is what I'm currently addicted to.

Edit: This convo is eerie because I'm on break and just RofLstomped a Gideon.

navgoose on
  • Options

If nothing else it should be mandatory to spell out percentages of the payout like is required in Japan

pst

*handles desc a hastily scrawled note*

"the percentages are required in China"

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I think i've spent like $50 total on Dota in six years. I spent zero on LoL when I played that.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

i'm such a fuckin whale

I haven't even figured out a way to spend money in D2 yet.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I loved that talk by a woman at King (I think) comparing the money people spend on their garbage games to the money she spends on her hobby of ice skating. Because that's totally the same thing.

• Options
    I'll open free loot crates np though.

But loot crates are mostly fun early on when you have stuff to unlock. After a while it became extremely boring in Overwatch for instance where it'd be like 3 duplicates and some spray I'd never use.

• Options
    I got that Lina hat as a drop from Dota and traded it for the first Starcraft 2 expansion so I'm doing pretty well in the dota money spent to money earned ratio.

• Options

pst

*handles desc a hastily scrawled note*

"the percentages are required in China"

Oh

Top one china

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

I just get endless spinning wheels idk if it's broked or if it's something on my end
    I get all the stats to come up.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    navgoose wrote: »

I sell u tarmagoyf u buy 4 real money

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Trek's conflicted history with whales continues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfLrqlpkh2A

• Options
    I like rando loot stuff. Like in Swtor when you hit max level you get to level your "command" rank and everytime you do you get a grab bag of potentially useful gear/cosmetic stuff. And that's fun keeps me playing when I've got the itch.

I hate rando stuff where its the only way to advance and there is a pay aspect to get more/better chance of loot. That feels fucking predatory as fuck.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Doesn't china do some shit where like, you buy the currency but buying the currency comes with free loot boxes so they don't have to tell you shit about them because you're not buying loot boxes, you're buying a currency that happens to come with a free bonus and you coincidentally get the same number of crates that you'd get spending the same money in america but you're not buying the crates! The crates are a bonus but this new currency is basically worthless don't worry about it.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    @Sir Landshark

https://guardian.gg/2/profile/4611686018439889661/Sir Landshark

That's what it pulled up, pretty quickly. Might be an Internet Explorer thing.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Doesn't china do some shit where like, you buy the currency but buying the currency comes with free loot boxes so they don't have to tell you shit about them because you're not buying loot boxes, you're buying a currency that happens to come with a free bonus and you coincidentally get the same number of crates that you'd get spending the same money in america but you're not buying the crates! The crates are a bonus but this new currency is basically worthless don't worry about it.

I think that's new and implemented to fool the law.

But I think the lawmakers of the People's Republic of China will get the last laugh, should they want to.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    "Sir Landshark"

https://guardian.gg/2/profile/4611686018439889661/Sir Landshark

That's what it pulled up, pretty quickly. Might be an Internet Explorer thing.

sigh my dumb work keeping me from doing not-work

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Same here.

Did you do this just to brag, Landshark?

"Oh hey, can you guys check my stats here, I'm uh....it's not working on my end....probably everybody should look at this page just to be sure...."

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So, I raged at Destiny 2 hard last night.

It was just one mission, and it was horrible design.

I'm on Nessus and get a mission to scan some data things that are on these floating platforms. Many of these floating platforms are over a bottomless drop. These floating platforms electrify intermittently. They also have enemy spawns. You have to jump between them, avoiding the electrified surface while doing these scans and being shot at. The longer it went, the angrier I became. That is bad design because you have to jump through them in order to get to the ones at the end, so if you fall off, even if you fall off over the ground and don't die, you have to start the fuck over. I was getting super pissed.

The final enemy that I had to kill I ended up sniping from the ground and ignoring whatever drops it left because I was so tired of trying to jump through these platforms while the constant respawns would shoot me midair and knock me down.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    It's not too late to go back in time 10 years ago and cancel TF2.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Same here.

"Oh hey, can you guys check my stats here, I'm uh....it's not working on my end....probably everybody should look at this page just to be sure...."
    Probably not, considering that his stats aren't really brag-worthy... *presses cigarette into Shark's ego*

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

Same here.

I LITERALLY DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE

• Options

I'm on Nessus and get a mission to scan some data things that are on these floating platforms. Many of these floating platforms are over a bottomless drop. These floating platforms electrify intermittently. They also have enemy spawns. You have to jump between them, avoiding the electrified surface while doing these scans and being shot at. The longer it went, the angrier I became. That is bad design because you have to jump through them in order to get to the ones at the end, so if you fall off, even if you fall off over the ground and don't die, you have to start the fuck over. I was getting super pissed.

The final enemy that I had to kill I ended up sniping from the ground and ignoring whatever drops it left because I was so tired of trying to jump through these platforms while the constant respawns would shoot me midair and knock me down.

I find these areas to be less frustrating with a party member because if one of you dies it isn't an instant game over. You can rez the other and keep trying.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Wow, Bungie pulls so much data. That's a little creepy.

My performance in nightfalls is eerily consistent.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »

nr8uoqxbbll2.jpg

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    It's not too late to go back in time 10 years ago and cancel TF2.

... but TF2 was good...

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

Same here.

I LITERALLY DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE

or do you

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

Same here.

Probably not, considering that his stats aren't really brag-worthy... *presses cigarette into Shark's ego*

you make a compelling argument

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

haha porp was still struggling with learning to jump/platform but I insisted on doing it together so we spent

probably an hour? doing that mission. lol fun times no our marriage is fine don't ask.

• Options

Same here.

will I ever impress you father

This discussion has been closed.