As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Job] Thread in mourning

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Make sure you give those kids plenty of space when they're doing their kick flips and shit.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Welp, my hours have been changed permanently from the 7-3:30 that I signed up for on my contract to mandatory 7-5. Saturdays are likely each week as well.

I am suddenly missing my old job.

Go to HR? I mean, if you're salary then they basically lied to you, and even if you're hourly, that's still not the schedule you both agreed to, and so should be mandatory renegotiation.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I drink cola under exactly two circumstances

The first is when I'm just to the left of "hungover enough to call an ambulance." The second is when I get off a long haul flight in the early am and need to make it through the daylight hours without crashing.

In either event, it hits me like a shot of cocaine. TODAY I CONQUER THE WORLD!!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Are you sure that's cola, tynic?

Are you sure that's not actual cocaine?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I wish caffeine could invigorate me. Then again maybe it's for the best that instead it calms and focuses me instead.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bowen wrote: »

I dunno. Maybe cocaine tastes like caramel bubbles.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I wish caffeine could invigorate me. Then again maybe it's for the best that instead it calms and focuses me instead.

Caffeine does absolutely nothing for me. I am immune to its effects.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I dunno. Maybe cocaine tastes like caramel bubbles.

Ah so the good stuff then

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Welp, my hours have been changed permanently from the 7-3:30 that I signed up for on my contract to mandatory 7-5. Saturdays are likely each week as well.

Go to HR? I mean, if you're salary then they basically lied to you, and even if you're hourly, that's still not the schedule you both agreed to, and so should be mandatory renegotiation.

I agree with calling bullshit but...HR is not always, or even often your friend. I wish it were otherwise.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    HR is there to protect the company. They only care about your best interests if doing so keeps from from violating any regulations.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Work had a tex-mex catered lunch. I had as many chicken, pork, queso, onion, sour cream, guacamole, and salsa soft tacos as I wanted.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    HR is there to protect the company. They only care about your best interests if doing so keeps from from violating any regulations.

Pretty much. A lot of people are already a bit peeved that they've been shifted around job-wise from what they were interviewed and hired for. People hired to be dedicated forklift drivers are now working as warehouse pickers, and the warehouse picking job I was hired to do has become something else entirely.

The basic gist of what my crew (and it's only my crew having to pull this overtime; nobody else has to) has been told is that we're a startup, things are in flux right now, and we will go along with whatever needs to be done in order to get the plant up and producing. And besides, it's our fault in shipping that the warehouse pickers are taking upwards of three hours to get us the stuff we have to work with during the day, with methods that change literally every single day.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    The job that was supposed to be starting me next week hadn't contacted me for a while, so I e-mailed them to see what was going on. Turns out, whoops! They haven't finalised approval for the project yet so now I'm not starting until mid-January! Maybe!

They have completely fucked me over. I'm already unemployed and living off money borrowed from my Dad, and now I'm down ~$100 for police and child work clearances and I've spent three weeks NOT applying for other jobs, because who the hell is going to hire me for a job I'll be quitting in less than a month? I'm actually almost impressed. They've managed to leave me worse off in every way than if they'd never hired me at all.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    The job that was supposed to be starting me next week hadn't contacted me for a while, so I e-mailed them to see what was going on. Turns out, whoops! They haven't finalised approval for the project yet so now I'm not starting until mid-January! Maybe!

They have completely fucked me over. I'm already unemployed and living off money borrowed from my Dad, and now I'm down ~$100 for police and child work clearances and I've spent three weeks NOT applying for other jobs, because who the hell is going to hire me for a job I'll be quitting in less than a month? I'm actually almost impressed. They've managed to leave me worse off in every way than if they'd never hired me at all.

Not sure what your financial needs are, but lots of retail places hire for the holidays. You can probably find a job for the next few weeks that way.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    So I've followed up on getting a first aid certificate and it seems like work is willing to pay for my training but there's a snag - the only available course is on the same day as the work Christmas party.

So I can get work to pay for training next month, or woodfired pizza on the waterfront, but not both.

I'm going to need to think about this.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    So I've followed up on getting a first aid certificate and it seems like work is willing to pay for my training but there's a snag - the only available course is on the same day as the work Christmas party.

So I can get work to pay for training next month, or woodfired pizza on the waterfront, but not both.

If the tax system in NZ is anything like Australia's, you can claim a LOT of professional development stuff on your taxes. So pay for it yourself and then claim the deduction if you can?

• Options

At least it means I never had to worry about becoming dependent on coffee. Sucked in college when I needed to pull all-nighters though.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

If the tax system in NZ is anything like Australia's, you can claim a LOT of professional development stuff on your taxes. So pay for it yourself and then claim the deduction if you can?

Sadly doesn't change what days the course is available, which is the real problem. I mean, work would pay for both of them, but I can't physically be at two places at once.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Sadly doesn't change what days the course is available, which is the real problem. I mean, work would pay for both of them, but I can't physically be at two places at once.

How big an event is the pizza thing and how far out? Like, if it's a small team thing you may be able to sweet talk a reschedule.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Caffeine allows me to exist. I start to fade away like in Back to the Future when I haven't had any in a while.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I am powered by stubbornness. Like it has literally saved my life before via being alone & receiving a major concussion.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Surprise email in my work mailbox saying I had a pay stub. Was not expected but became clear when the subsequent email came that said this email was supposed to precede the pay stub one but it jumped the gun. End of the story is it’s my Christmas bonus and it’s a more than I’ve ever gotten before. Yay, I’m valued!

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I have a job interview today and I’m so nervous that I feel like getting sick.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular

Not sure what your financial needs are, but lots of retail places hire for the holidays. You can probably find a job for the next few weeks that way.

Believe me, I'm going to try, but I'm already committed to visiting my sister on the other side of the country for Christmas. So I'll be unavailable for all the public holidays and then back to uni full-time two days after I step off the plane.

And I'd already applied for a ton of stuff before I got """"hired"""" for this one. Science jobs are as rare as hens' teeth, so I was applying for entry level stuff elsewhere too, mostly warehousing since I do actually have experience in that sector. No interviews, no callbacks. If I had to guess I would say my degree was scaring them off. They probably think I'm going to get hired and then immediately jump ship for one of those jobs in science that don't exist.

I have a Masters in molecular biology and when I try to get work packing boxes of pet food in a warehouse I am not even considered worthy of a rejection letter. Hello, it's me, I am the millennial.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I feel I really should stop having Dr Pepper for breakfast/dinner
    I basically have my meals in reverse dinner-lunch-breakfast since I usually have cereal before I go to bed
    But with how Dr Pepper was cheap again this summer and once again I am having it often

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Smurph wrote: »
    We hired a guy from our IT team onto our dev team a while back. I guess he was going to quit if he didn't get the dev job because he hated IT so much.

Then the other day he mentions he might apply for a corporate IT job that would let him work from home. Guess you don't hate IT that much, do you?

working from home trumps literally everything*

*unless you're the kind of person who can't self manage or craves attention from people at the watercooler

I used to work at home and I wasn't a fan. I like my work to be completely separated from my home life. Also people being able to call you whenever and ask you to do something real quick when you didn't intend to be doing work shit sucks.

Or if you think that working with other people is actually one of the good parts of your profession. I had a project for myself for half a year, working in the office no less, and it was just the worst.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

uh, are you at least getting paid for all that additional time?

I absolutely am getting overtime pay, but that's a lot of overtime, combined with a 110-mile round trip commute.

Not to pry to deep but is this at that shiny new factory run by my favorite cell phone company? I know they've been jerking you around a bit but at the end of the day its going to be at least safer.

Hopefully.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Driver that nearly tboned me on the driver's side, fuck you and everything you love!

I did not hear brakes and skidding tires!

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I sometimes give my Sonata shit because it isn't the Subaru I wanted, but there are times it is pretty great.

Like when I get off work and I'm looking for my car, I'll pass by it and my first thought is

That's not my car, the headlights are too fancy.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I still like my new job! and after the end of their hell week for the conference, everyone should be more chill and have time for mentoring and whatnot. As opposed to acting like shell shocked infantry men, with hollowed out eyes and thousand yard stares.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular

up the dosage

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Working in the office today - sounds like leaving early might be in the cards though.

• Options
    Docshifty wrote: »
    I sometimes give my Sonata shit because it isn't the Subaru I wanted, but there are times it is pretty great.

Like when I get off work and I'm looking for my car, I'll pass by it and my first thought is

That's not my car, the headlights are too fancy.

I put about 90,000 miles on a used Sonata. It was a highly reliable car but as it was a replacement to my beloved Mazda 3, I never felt any connection with it. Was like driving a rental car for 7 years. Bland, and corners were obviously cut here and there on little things to save money, but again, very reliable from a mechanical standpoint.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

Believe me, I'm going to try, but I'm already committed to visiting my sister on the other side of the country for Christmas. So I'll be unavailable for all the public holidays and then back to uni full-time two days after I step off the plane.

And I'd already applied for a ton of stuff before I got """"hired"""" for this one. Science jobs are as rare as hens' teeth, so I was applying for entry level stuff elsewhere too, mostly warehousing since I do actually have experience in that sector. No interviews, no callbacks. If I had to guess I would say my degree was scaring them off. They probably think I'm going to get hired and then immediately jump ship for one of those jobs in science that don't exist.

I have a Masters in molecular biology and when I try to get work packing boxes of pet food in a warehouse I am not even considered worthy of a rejection letter. Hello, it's me, I am the millennial.

Leave your Masters off the resume on those applications.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Well, I wasn't made a permanent hire, that would have been too good, but I did get a six month extension instead of being drip-fed two month extensions. I was also made project lead for our migration from Box.com to Sharepoint and the integration of our airports to Sharepoint. I also need to talk to IT about how to get them to not shut down our Sharepoint.

It's gonna be a lot of Sharepoint, is what I'm saying.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Wednesday before Thanksgiving and most people are either gone or putting in a couple hours before taking off. I completed all my work yesterday so hey more time for writing.

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Meeting with a difficult end-user at 4pm today. Because, of course that's the only time she can meet after being unsuccessfully "helped" by the wrong department for the last two weeks.

Huh...
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    The Bad: My work cafe is closed today and I didn't pack a lunch.
    The Good: That means I can go find a treat
    The Ugly: The only part of my order Popeyes got right was that I wanted chicken. Wrong type of chicken and side, and for some reason they gave me 5 sporks to go with it.

• Options
    A shitstorm is a-blowin' but I'm not in its path here.

The gist of what happened is that when staff witnesses something like an inmate assaulting another staff member they must report it, but yesterday people did not and now things are much worse.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Well, I wasn't made a permanent hire, that would have been too good, but I did get a six month extension instead of being drip-fed two month extensions. I was also made project lead for our migration from Box.com to Sharepoint and the integration of our airports to Sharepoint. I also need to talk to IT about how to get them to not shut down our Sharepoint.

It's gonna be a lot of Sharepoint, is what I'm saying.

Oof, this actually sounds super interesting!

Personally I haven't aeen anything about SharePoint that made me particularly love it

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
This discussion has been closed.