As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Dark Eldar coven themed around Andrew W.K.

bova41ebmfql.gif

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    So in that image a page back of other Xeno threats. I'm wondering how many got expanded and became playable. I recognize Necron, Kroot, and Hrud is familiar but not very.

So the ambull is a dnd monster, but necromunda is getting a mecha-ambull release soon, the crystal gun is a weapon used by harlequins and I’m fairly sure the squid thing is a mind slaver. Everything else I’m not sure on.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Most of my appreciation of old WHFB was as an RPG setting.

The Baroque period Holy Roman Empire is beset by secret ratmen, vampires, and armored mutants and its up to an apprentice sorceror, a barmaid, an elvish fop, a rat-catcher, and his small but vicious dog to save the world.

Vermintide is what happens when those character hit their advanced careers.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i really like all the colourful frills on the humans in whfb

it's a fun aesthetic

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    in 40k: Eternal war is a very good setting for war games. Every army can fight every other army. 40k hasn't started over, but there is a new (but still familiar) status quo.

For myself, the appeal of 40k is that it feels like the galaxy is on a knife edge. There's a status quo, but it seems to have stretched itself and is going to snap at any moment. Each faction has various "win conditions" or "lose conditions". It feels bit like it's in a free fall and the whole galaxy could end up being up ended at any moment. Which is a neat universe to play around in.

which is why I feel the latest story update kinda tipped the balance too much - we've gone past "the brink of apocalypse" into "the apocalypse is actually happening, right now"

I'm not sure exactly why but it kind of spoils the setting for me

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    So in that image a page back of other Xeno threats. I'm wondering how many got expanded and became playable. I recognize Necron, Kroot, and Hrud is familiar but not very.

So the ambull is a dnd monster, but necromunda is getting a mecha-ambull release soon, the crystal gun is a weapon used by harlequins and I’m fairly sure the squid thing is a mind slaver. Everything else I’m not sure on.

The Hrud were also expanded on in the Xenology lorebook

it seems like they're basically slightly less malicious Space Skaven

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

Hrud get mentioned in the newest deathwatch codex. We know from it that hrud leaders are called chronomancers, they have time based weapons and have human worshippers.

We also learn that the ghoul stars are full of “Urghouls” and are described as an “infestation”. They also seem to have something called “black ziggurats” but the book isn’t clear if they traveled there on the ziggurat or if it was always on planet.

I would like to know more about both time lord Skaven and lovecraftion ghoul hordes please.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

Hrud get mentioned in the newest deathwatch codex. We know from it that hrud leaders are called chronomancers, they have time based weapons and have human worshippers.

We also learn that the ghoul stars are full of “Urghouls” and are described as an “infestation”. They also seem to have something called “black ziggurats” but the book isn’t clear if they traveled there on the ziggurat or if it was always on planet.

I would like to know more about both time lord Skaven and lovecraftion ghoul hordes please.

What I like about 40K is that it's basically Grimdark Doctor Who. It's a big galaxy! Anything could happen!

I mean, I like that it's crazy and that the "heroes" lose just about as much as they win, if not more so. It feels more realistic grounded.

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The next person who calls 40k realistic gets thrown through the warp without a Gellar field

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    40k is a huge setting and you can tell almost any story in it.

There is a part of me that wants to see a 40k book come out that’s just a realistic tale of someone living on an agri world, farming, falling in love and retiring as they become old.

And nothing at all war or chaos or anything happens. Just to fuck with people.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Farmers don’t even retire here on normal old earth. Agri world farmers get thrown in the exsanguination vats with the rest of the livestock when they’re too feeble to make their quota.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    40k is a huge setting and you can tell almost any story in it.

There is a part of me that wants to see a 40k book come out that’s just a realistic tale of someone living on an agri world, farming, falling in love and retiring as they become old.

And nothing at all war or chaos or anything happens. Just to fuck with people.

Rian Johnson would write that. Oh snap!

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    The next person who calls 40k realistic gets thrown through the warp without a Gellar field

Ah yes. The Ork pleasure cruise.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    shit, now I'm imagining orks hijacking pleasure yachts and turning them into weapons of war

except they still maintain part of the illusion of a pleasure craft with an on-deck pool, skeetboard, and other such things

and, oh yes, they have the uniforms

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    shit, now I'm imagining orks hijacking pleasure yachts and turning them into weapons of war

except they still maintain part of the illusion of a pleasure craft with an on-deck pool, skeetboard, and other such things

The Love Boat but with Orks.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    :whistle:Waaagh, exciting and new
    Come Aboard. We'z expecting you.
    Waaaagh, life's sweetest reward.
    Let it flow, it floats back to you. :whistle:

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular

If the orks believe they are disguised, does that mean they actually are? Sounds brutally cunning if you ask me.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    That's a very Kommando thing to do. I love Kommandos

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Now I've got the image of a squig wearing a sailor outfit with a cute little bow tie.
    So, thank you for that. Sincerely, not being sarcastic here. It's a delightful little picture.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Now I've got the image of a squig wearing a sailor outfit with a cute little bow tie.
    So, thank you for that. Sincerely, not being sarcastic here. It's a delightful little picture.

this makes me so happy to think about

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Anyone wanting to try Deathwatch, enhanced edition is $2.99 on the weekend sale.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Anyone wanting to try Deathwatch, enhanced edition is $2.99 on the weekend sale.

Ah shoot for a second I thought you said Deathwing and not Deathwatch.

• Options
    Goddamnit, I fooled myself. I was just home from work and I too, thought it was Deathwing. Well, butts. Sorry.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I now want a comedy/thriller about two ork WAAAAAAGH!!!!!s independently infiltrating an imperial pleasure barge.
    One group as crew and staff, another as passengers, and both need to maintain cover from the passengers/crew (who, ofcourse, are orks, but nobody notices because both groups are maintaining cover), only non orks onboard are the navigator (who pays no attention to anyone who is not a navigator), captain of the ship (who can't conceive of the idea that orks could ever try infiltration) and a nice elderly couple celebrating their 200th anniversary (who are very impressed how lively all these nice young men are, and appreciate that for once someone speaks loud enough to be heard clearly instead of mumbling quietly (they are all but deaf and blind, and shout all the time when talking)).

• Options
    Goddamnit, I fooled myself. I was just home from work and I too, thought it was Deathwing. Well, butts. Sorry.

No worries man, getting one death thing confused for another is like the most 40k thing possible

• Options
    Sometimes I miss Age of Reckoning. Playing Chaos and Dark Elves in that game was fun.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    so, the progress on my imperial knight has been stalled while i need to find some time to head into the city to grab some modelling supplies to put together the base i want to make for it (posing the legs relies on how exactly the base shakes out)

but i did get a nice model from victoria miniatures that i'm gonna convert up a little to be the pilot. Annoyingly it's really hard to get a picture to link here, but she's the artillery officer for the sledgehammer on the main page. Figure i can sculpt on a few bits of wiring and electronics, and maybe get my hands on one of the imperial scion helmets or something and change her hand so she's holding it. That'll be fun.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Sometimes I miss Age of Reckoning. Playing Chaos and Dark Elves in that game was fun.

I liked playing Zealot. Healing by throwing suspicious potions at people? Why not.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I don't know as it really did not feel Warhammer to me
    Due to a weird bug my Shadow Hunter was behind the lines. I asked the GM what can I do to get back where I am really supposed to be? after a few days I was upped to someone who said just restart

I played a Chaos sorcerer and liked it a lot

I kind of wish Wow took the hint from WAR about how healers could heal and do damage! it's not that hard!

I made a Black Guard but I liked the look of them just not how they were Tanks all the time

When I made my Chaos sorcerer my brother and I both made chaos characters and played the game
    I remember a scorpion or something that we and 20+ other people just could not kill and other things that after awhile he said fuck it this is not fun

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I had a Black Orc in Age of Reckoning, I thought it was a lot of fun. The PvP was the highlight. Also the gear was great, it was exciting to get new drops because it all looked rad.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Goblins were a lot of fun in that game. Though IMO the squig tamer hopping inside his giant squig to bounce across the battlefied was the more fun of the goblin options.
    Also had a bright wizard, and a chaos sorcerer, and a dwarven engineer...

So many fun character classes in that game.

• Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Inquisitor- Martyr looks interesting. Anyone played it yet? I've watched a few gameplay videos but I am unsure of spending $50 on an "early access" game.

I've had it since the EA/beta. It's kind of a mixed bag; I'd say this is more of a game to get on sale rather than full price right now.

I've had fun with it, and it's improved by a fair bit during development to release. I've dropped about 70 hours into it since beta all in solo play, so I haven't tried any of the pvp or multiplayer, so I didn't really get to end game content (but I think that's mostly the same grind as the low level). I'll definitely be playing more, but I don't know if this has the longevity (for me personally) to grab me like Diablo or Torchlight.

In many ways it's kind of what you expect from your normal arpg, so maybe I'll note points where it's different from others. Wall of text follows:
    • There's sort of 2 health pools: suppression and health. Some weapons do more to one than the other. When suppression is gone, it opens you (and enemies) up to more status effects like knocks downs.
    • The health "potion" is an inoculator item that you can configure to do things like recover health and suppression and other effects like add crit chance or +damage on use. You unlock this somewhat early on
    • Passive skill trees are largely flat increases in stats and passive abilities
    • The trees themselves are kind of like a branching web going out to in. There are a few starting points, where you can work your way to the center node that requires you to have gone down the main path of all the branches to unlock. There are some short side branches (typically where the passives are)
    • Passive skills range from things like reducing cooldown timers when (x) happens, resetting a cooldown on the health "potion", granting suppression/health back when you get health/suppression back respectively.
    • You've got 3 main classes sort of the tank, rogue, and caster archetypes and they've got a variety of 1h/2h melee and ranged arsenals available to them. They have subclasses but that really just changes the starting armor.
    • Most active skills for the main classes don't come from their class but from your equipment which is sort of interesting at first but can quickly get boring. For example, a 2h lasgun always has the same 4 active skills that you can use regardless of the level or rarity. The playstyle never changes. As you level different types of guns unlock: flamers, plasma weapons, gravity guns, etc. The higher the level the more base damage; the higher the rarity the more modifiers on it.
    • Each generally weapon has 2 basics on very short cooldowns and 2 on longer ones
    • The caster/pskyer class is a bit different, there are combos where they can use some skills from a gun/melee but they get to slot spells that they learn as they level. These spells can have runes slotted into them that add additional effects to them: more damage, more up time, less cooldown, stuns, knockdowns, etc. and some of these modifiers are unlocked via skill trees (basic ones you just already have)
    • Casters have an additional Warp pool where there are certain break points where the warp may cross into the real realm by causing additional spawns or causing other bad affects. You can lower this with basic attacks (that hit)
    • You can have 2 weapon sets equipped. When you swap weapons, all the skills on those weapon enter their cooldown phases.
    • There is also a skill with the main armor piece. From what I saw in the past, there are 3 main archetypes for each class each with a skill.
    • There's a gear slot that has varying types of explosives, shields, etc. that you can slot.
    • There is a crafting system
    • I don't know if there are equivalents of Diablo Unique style gear. There are artefacts with better modifiers on them, but I think they just have more and a higher potential cap of values on them. modifiers are pretty typical things like more damage for a specific skill or damage type, more crit, +damage against enemy types, etc.
    • There are sets pieces, sort of, but you don't see their bonuses until you finish them. Specific gear pieces like armor, weapons, and i think implants can have a prefix like: Mars, Thule, etc. If these all match they finish the set and you get some bonus mods (and sometimes negatives as well). I believe these sets are independent of gear level, so I think a level 1 Mars laspistol could be matched with lvl 40 Mars gear
    • While you can pick up gear in the level, most loot is generated at the end of the level when you finish or level up. Note you cannot access your inventory in game, so whatever stuff you go in with is what you have until you return to your hub ship area.
    • The only companions I saw were Guardsmen that you can encounter in the world or sometimes are quest related. You don't equip them and you don't really control them. They just sort of follow and fire at the closest thing.
    • There's this mission modifier card system you unlock later where you can spend points you collect: they do things like make missions harder, increased changes of high rarity rewards, more money, get specific types of gear at the end, etc.
    • Some missions are sort of interesting. They're called investigations and they can branch based on decisions. They're sort of a balance with doing things (beyond just mission) to increase your chances of success and tempering that against collateral damage. The downside though is that most everything is destructible, and that all counts against you. In beta anyway, it was super hard to not fail and get essentially negative rewards fate points that you use for the mission card system above. Note this may have changed as I haven't reached this point again in release yet.
    • There is a guild system and guild skill tree that as members contribute, you unlock some bonus passives like increased drops when money drops.
    • There's a 3 death limit per mission (which can be altered a bit by items, skills, or sometimes mission mods).

Cobell on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    We've officially reached total market confusion as I passed over Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr thinking it was a new port of that adventure/third-person action game that came out for ios when in fact it's a diablo-like.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Y'know

CDProjekt Red needs to get their hands on the Inquisitor license.

A Witcher 3-esque Inquisitor game would be beyond baller.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Didn’t the Witcher guys say they were done with that series and were making a sci-fi game next? It could happen.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Badablack wrote: »
    Didn’t the Witcher guys say they were done with that series and were making a sci-fi game next? It could happen.

They're doing Cyberpunk 2020 now.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Badablack wrote: »

They're doing Cyberpunk 2020 now.

And by now they legit mean till 2020 , that game isn’t coming out anytime soon.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I want Paradox to make a galaxy-scale 40k strategy game. Let me create my own Space Marine chapter or IG regiment and defend my home worlds and go on crusades.

• Options
    IG could work and be pretty fun.

Space Marine chapters are probably too small for grand strategy.

With Paradox I could see them go a route where you control like an entire branch of the Imperium. Or the opposite and go Crusaders King style where you are just like a local planetary governor trying to survive in this insane universe.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    You could be the man of the hour, Roboute Guilliam and run the indomitus crusade

This discussion has been closed.