Options

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    I'm usually more okay with overt sexualization when it's done across the board

gimme some pretty boys with armored waist corsets

here you go:
    gaw45-08_2.jpg

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    I was looking for a male wych with a bare midriff but alarmingly that's not to be found on the native sprue. Luckily there's one on the Hellions sprue, so I'll make a conversion just for you. Now tell me, do you prefer whips or chains... or both?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Pretty-Eldar.jpg

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Sexy male character:
    QJ5SX1a.jpg
    It took me way too long to realize that his belly was showing because the clothes got torn and the clothes weren't just supposed to show it off.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    With his hand like that, it looks like the Doom marine is belting out a stirring solo while fragging demons.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I have seen that cover art probably thousands of times over the last twenty years and only just now noticed that other guy in the background

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I've always wondered about that dude, is he running to help? Is he like, Hey stop being so fucking radical without me!

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    If I may drag up the DOOM novelizations from my childhood, perhaps that's Arlene, the other survivor of the demon invasion. At one point she gives Doomguy shit for hesitating to pull a lever shaped like a demon penis.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    I am highly resistant to the idea that doomguy would experience a nanosecond of hesitation in that scenario, he'd rip that shit off the wall instantaneously

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    True but I think there's a difference between doom 1 doomguy who's a marine on a mission and the eternal warrior doomguy of doom 4.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    True but I think there's a difference between doom 1 doomguy who's a marine on a mission and the eternal warrior doomguy of doom 4.

Do you even rip and tear

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Doomguy's name is Corporal Flynn "Fly" Taggart, and a large part of his inner monologue during the first book is him trying to reconcile the idea of demons that can be shot to death with his Catholic faith.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I've always wondered about that dude, is he running to help? Is he like, Hey stop being so fucking radical without me!

That other guy actually is DOOM guy.
    The marine in the front is about to be killed by demon fireballs to the head and a truly gratuitous number of claws. Chances are you're going to have to kill him again shortly when he's a zombie.

• Options
    I haven't read the Bible recently but I do not recall the part where it says you can't blast a huge goat demon to smithereens with mortal implements

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think the second marine is in reference to playing the game in coop mode?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    those demons in the back right just look ready to party

• Options
    like that one is just waving at a friend he's excited to see

• Options
    Doom demons are true fightmonsters in that they enjoy every aspect of battle, even their own brutal mutilation

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Just gotta say again, Deathwing was the first video game that really felt like you were a space marine, and not just "regular shooter guy" in a space marine skin. Even the starter bolter had heft and sounded like a powerful weapon.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    What about... Space Marine?

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Also: does anyone have an opinion in if Deathwing: Enhanced Edition is worth the money? The original was pretty widely panned for being to light on content and systems.

august on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Space Marine: As a third person shooter, the melee felt great, but the shooting, like all third person shooters, was weak.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    I have not played it but it is unfortunately my understanding that the above mentioned weapon effects are the best part of the game

• Options
    august wrote: »

Space Marine felt like the weapons were firing .22, which yeah it was a melee focused game but doesn't mean you need to skimp on sound design. I haven't looked at Deathwing enhanced yet, didn't know that was a thing.

• Options
    Ok, upon checking I actually have the enhanced edition, so I'll have to check it out again.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    august wrote: »

Space Marine felt like the weapons were firing .22, which yeah it was a melee focused game but doesn't mean you need to skimp on sound design. I haven't looked at Deathwing enhanced yet, didn't know that was a thing.

You are literally the first person I've ever heard that's said Space Marine had "weak" guns.

• Options
    lots of people thought the guns in space marine felt weak

• Options
    It was satisfying when you shot an orc's head off, but that was more the bullet impact and resulting blood splatter than the gun firing.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I was a far better assault marine in that game even in the arena/pvp tac on it had
    I was shit at firing the rifle

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Yeah the bolter was pretty lackluster in Space Marine.

Bolters are like, comically powerful and scary weapons in the fluff.

Rapid fire machine gun rocket launchers?

Jesus.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I liked the feel of the bolter in Firewarrior.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yeah the bolter was pretty lackluster in Space Marine.

Bolters are like, comically powerful and scary weapons in the fluff.

Rapid fire machine gun rocket launchers?

Jesus.

What if I told you that they were real?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvMKGkhmwTE

edit: Yes I know the bolt shell has a tiny rocket motor, but that's silly for a short-range weapon. Also I thought the bolt round was larger, but it's actually closer to 20mm, so I guess the OICW is a closer approximation? Doesn't take a two-man guard team though.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Would the bolter cartridge's little rocket motor make sense in anaerobic environment, a vacuum, or something?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    The Expanse series has people in vacuum fighting with recoilless small arms with self-propelled projectiles, it's framed as a method of not sending yourself spinning around in null gravity

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Bolters still have an initial charge like a regular gun so you better clamp down when using them in space. Considering that they're made for Space Marines I guess whatever fuel the rocket part uses works without oxygen.

honovere on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Would the bolter cartridge's little rocket motor make sense in anaerobic environment, a vacuum, or something?

A regular bullet cartridge can be fired in a vacuum because gunpowder contains both fuel and oxidizer.

Gyrojet ammo has the benefit of needing only a cheap, thin, smoothbore barrel on the gun (trading for very expensive ammo) and generates very low recoil. But it also has very low muzzle velocity making it less than lethal at point blank range.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Maybe it's because in the future, regular bullet velocities aren't sufficient to punch through the armor most Imperium equivalent factions bring to bear, so you need to shove a rocket on there to make it more armor-piercing. I mean, afaik Heavy Stubbers are the closest thing to modern conventional arms the 40k military uses, and they're basically supped up heavy machineguns, tons of stubbers and autoguns exist but don't really see widespread military use, so they're mostly just for domestic stuff?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Inquisitor- Martyr looks interesting. Anyone played it yet? I've watched a few gameplay videos but I am unsure of spending $50 on an "early access" game.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    The Expanse series has people in vacuum fighting with recoilless small arms with self-propelled projectiles, it's framed as a method of not sending yourself spinning around in null gravity

One of the surprising things that Mythbusters did was show firearms were far more effective in a vacuum
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH7mNApnDYg
    A poor copy of the video

• Options
    Maybe it's because in the future, regular bullet velocities aren't sufficient to punch through the armor most Imperium equivalent factions bring to bear, so you need to shove a rocket on there to make it more armor-piercing. I mean, afaik Heavy Stubbers are the closest thing to modern conventional arms the 40k military uses, and they're basically supped up heavy machineguns, tons of stubbers and autoguns exist but don't really see widespread military use, so they're mostly just for domestic stuff?

You may be right. My post wasn't really meant to be argumentative, rather just to show off that some of what we think of as amazing Scifi weaponry either already exists or is surpassed by real life weapons. The reality is that most Scifi, especially long running Scifi like 40k, was written by people who just don't know how formidible modern weaponry is, or what the scale of modern warfare already looks like. On a broader scope that's pretty much the norm across all fiction. I guess my point is that if you think bolters are rad, then check out that sweet video. And then weep knowing that a little part of the hellscape of the 40k universe is real.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
This discussion has been closed.