As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    They forge an Empire truly dedicated to the greater good and capable of withstanding the threats the galaxy poses. As unlikely an outcome as any other.

Also for my genestealer cults stuff for Killteam etc I plan on lorewise going with a cult started by a rogue 'stealer strain that is genetically distinct enough to stay outside the Hive Mind, and their instinct to infiltrate societies and build cults has blossomed into an drive to build a covert empire in their sector of space of imperials and aliens alike, all in unknowing thrall to the cult. I know it's probably not 100% canon kosher but it seems like an interesting take. Plus I sort of find genestealer cults more interesting/fun than Tyranids generally so I want to make them their own thing. I'd also like to try and build Hybrids using other mini lines that are meant to be alien stealer hybrids

Take it with a grain of salt, since it was in a Cain novel, but they had tyranids in captivity from different hive fleets that fought each other.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Well it's in their codexes that hive fleets fight each other, but no one knows why. They might be different competing strains of the same species, or they could just be refining their skills against each other, and if all the Hive Minds are one it might just be a way of making sure all the different fleets combine gathered genetics and biomass and ensuring it is the strongest force which is strengthened and enhanced, among more exotic theories

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Was dawn of war 3 good?

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    It was one of the top ten best warhammer videogames ever made!

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Was dawn of war 3 good?

I played it, and...

no.

I mostly didn't like the gameplay, and I thought the aesthetic was off. Like, things weren't grimy enough, if you get what I'm saying.

Like, yes it was "polished", (whatever that means), but it didn't do anything that DoW I & II did better. Also, no sync kills! No natural cover! Nothing that makes the series Dawn of War!

They didn't know what people liked about the games, and thus failed to deliver.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I did not like dawn of war 3.

• Options
    Thanks. Just got that itch, and the old DoW games don't really display well at modern resolutions.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Speaking of , do the Tau even have a “ win condition” in the story like other factions? Like the orcs uniting into one WAAAAH! the tyranids having all they hive fleets the imperium getting carried by the super awesome morally perfect in every way adeptus mechanicus ? They just seem to be “B” level in every way.

They realize exactly how fucked up the rest of the galaxy is, pull back to their home system and crush all the planets to go full on dyson sphere.
    The sphere is armed with planet killing firepower in all directions and the Tau spend the rest of eternity (or at least until their star burns out) sagely nodding their heads at each other agreeing that this is, indeed, the greatest possible good.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Apparently the critical flaw in my plan to make my genestealer cult more cthulhu/deep sea themed, is that everyone else also wanted tentacle heads, so I cannot find the bits for the acolyte hybrid or genestealer tentacle heads anywhere

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I think you'll probably have to break out the green stuff.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    You can get 3rd party Cthulhu heads everywhere. Next to orks in funny hats those are probably the most common sellers.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    You can get 3rd party Cthulhu heads everywhere. Next to orks in funny hats those are probably the most common sellers.

Also look for illithid heads if the Cthulhu heads aren't tweaking your sanity rating.
    I found these for under four bucks for a pair.

Pretty sure that the creepy long fingered hands and bladed gauntlet arm could be useful too.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Always wondered if the emperor is really a primarch sized dude and was always that big, psy projected himself to look that swole, did the space marine stuff to himself, or is actually regular human sized and is just always depicted as being huge.

Master of Mankind gives us a look at the Emperor through the eyes of one of the Sisters of Silence, and all she sees is a tired man in golden armor.

The Emperor is the product of several thousand Alpha plus level pyskers (I think around the 10K mark?) ritually committing suicide and their souls merging into one being. As demons in the warp were picking off pyskers when they died and they weren't reincarnating.

And this all happened in the 8th Millennium B.C according to the WH40K wiki.

He has seen some shit.

Karl on
  • Options
    The Emperor is also not as nice as he thinks he is (read up on the Thunder Warriors) nor as smart as he'd like to think (trying to pretend that chaos doesn't exist).

• Options
    Karl wrote: »
    Always wondered if the emperor is really a primarch sized dude and was always that big, psy projected himself to look that swole, did the space marine stuff to himself, or is actually regular human sized and is just always depicted as being huge.

Master of Mankind gives us a look at the Emperor through the eyes of one of the Sisters of Silence, and all she sees is a tired man in golden armor.

The Emperor is the product of several thousand Alpha plus level pyskers (I think around the 10K mark?) ritually committing suicide and their souls merging into one being. As demons in the warp were picking off pyskers when they died and they weren't reincarnating.

He has seen some shit.

Is that the latest version? They've been retconning that kind of stuff left and right. Last that I saw

HORUS HERESY BOOK SPOILERS
    He was a dude who was born in the middle east in or before Roman Times and somehow became a Perpetual, which is a kind of unique human psyker who is essentially immortal and nearly indestructible, but not all-powerful. There have been a bunch of other perpetuals and several are still around. IIRC the Emperor got his power by traveling to like, an alien artifact that miiight have been left by the Old Ones? And essentially stealing a bunch of power from the Chaos Gods. Which is why they hate him so much

But I haven't read the books so I might be misremembering or misrepresenting some of the lore stuff they added.

• Options

He has seen some shit.

Is that the latest version? They've been retconning that kind of stuff left and right. Last that I saw

He was a dude who was born in the middle east in or before Roman Times and somehow became a Perpetual, which is a kind of unique human psyker who is essentially immortal and nearly indestructible, but not all-powerful. There have been a bunch of other perpetuals and several are still around. IIRC the Emperor got his power by traveling to like, an alien artifact that miiight have been left by the Old Ones? And essentially stealing a bunch of power from the Chaos Gods. Which is why they hate him so much

But I haven't read the books so I might be misremembering or misrepresenting some of the lore stuff they added.

My understanding is that his history is an amalgamation of the two. As in him being the result of a good few thousand alpha plus level pysker shamans combining their souls creating him and making him immortal and super powerful.

Then he fucked off on an adventure to get more power (like you mentioned). He lived through the rise and fall of the pre-Imperium Star League (I think that's what it's called) so he had plenty of space adventures before the dark age of technology, the rebellion of the androids and age of strife/unification wars.

His history is intentionally left vague and contradictory because unifying it is a pain in the arse for GW and it can all be handwaved by "all historical records are fucked".

There were/are other perpetuals but I believe the Emperor was the strongest of them, even before his big power boost.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    What's the win condition for Necrons? Enough of them exit stasis? I haven't really kept up with them since the C'tan were removed from the game.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    What's the win condition for Necrons? Enough of them exit stasis? I haven't really kept up with them since the C'tan were removed from the game.

Everyone else dies, they become flesh?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I don't think total extermination is actually the one win condition for Necrons anymore. A bunch of the dynasties would probably be okay with ruling over living and dead alike.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Master of Mankind spoilers
    In the opening chapter, the last warlord left on earth posits that the Emperor is a biological weapon leftover from the Dark Age, so there’s another possible origin.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I remember reading somewhere that the Shamans sacrificing themselves to create the emperor happened in pre-history times, like pre-civilization, which is why there's no record of it, him, or psychers. Also that he might have been Jesus and some other historical figures. That's all kinda standard for an "immortal guy" story though.

• Options
    I would love to see a game set during the age of strife and the unification wars.

A young(er), emperor, technobarbarians, and psyker kings. It sounds metal as fuck.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

He has seen some shit.

My understanding is that his history is an amalgamation of the two. As in him being the result of a good few thousand alpha plus level pysker shamans combining their souls creating him and making him immortal and super powerful.

Then he fucked off on an adventure to get more power (like you mentioned). He lived through the rise and fall of the pre-Imperium Star League (I think that's what it's called) so he had plenty of space adventures before the dark age of technology, the rebellion of the androids and age of strife/unification wars.

His history is intentionally left vague and contradictory because unifying it is a pain in the arse for GW and it can all be handwaved by "all historical records are fucked".

There were/are other perpetuals but I believe the Emperor was the strongest of them, even before his big power boost.

The primarch Vulcan is a perpetual!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Did the heresy books reached a point where it was explained where he ended up?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I would love to see a game set during the age of strife and the unification wars.

A young(er), emperor, technobarbarians, and psyker kings. It sounds metal as fuck.

Honestly, one of the elements of the 40k universe that doesn't get that much emphasis on the tabletop except as a driver for the Imperium's xenophobia is that it's freaking weird out there. Sentient balloons that use psykers to open gateways to another dimension so they can bring in more of their kind, radially-symmetric cyborgs in generation ships, rugose cone-beings that feed on admiration and / or the produce of their mind-controlled human cattle, and so on. Orks are relatively comforting by comparison.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    There's lots of cool stuff that matters a lot to the fiction of 40k, but doesn't really matter much because it isn't in a playable army.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, like the Fantasy Flight Warhammer 40ks RPG introduced some pretty interesting xenos species in both the Yu'vath and the Rak'gol that are super cool but not really used elsewhere. Yu'vath are a supposedly dead race the Imperium purged 2,000 years prior in a VERY hard fought war and very little concrete information is known about them currently, but the implication is they're quasi-lovecraftian old ones that are incapable of true death and will return at some point. They worship Chaos and left behind a lot of bizarre technology, like guns powered by ripping the mental energies from living beings (or their wielder if they run out) or strange energy constructs that animate and manipulate masses of corpses to defend areas. The Rak'gol are implied to revere the Yu'vath alongside the Chaos gods, and are themselves extremely hardy and brutal xenos that use primitive (and poorly designed) nuclear engines since the radiation largely doesn't bother them. They modify themselves with all sorts of cybernetics to be better at killing and their leaders are behemoths fused with all sorts of technology including that of the Yu'vath.

Unlikely to see much of them though since they're not really related to anything in the tabletop, which kind of sucks.

Edit: Haha, got the time super off. Apparently I need a nap.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I don't think total extermination is actually the one win condition for Necrons anymore. A bunch of the dynasties would probably be okay with ruling over living and dead alike.

They're one of the better races for fighting Tyranids for that reason.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

Protect the meat bags so you can breed a new generation to make veal skin curtains

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Protect the meat bags so you can breed a new generation to make veal skin curtains

6mg93ezx9rkt.png

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    A friend of mine has been wanting to get back into Warhammer, he used to play 40k as a kid and now wants to play “for real” cause he’s sure he was playing it super wrong, would his sets (that are around 15 years old, mind) work with the new Kill Team stuff? Cause that’s what I’m gonna get as a starter

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Probably! Kill team guys are mostly basic dudes, with some options for fancier or veteran models. It's just 3-20 models (and I can't imagine anyone fitting 20 models in 100 points, but I guess you could). Basic rules and rosters/costs are included in the book.

• Options
    His guys could quite possibly work for kill team or if you let him proxy or do counts as type stuff will 100% for sure work for kill team.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Did the heresy books reached a point where it was explained where he ended up?

Vulkan? He was in the Beast Arises series where they found him and had him lead the Imperium army against the orks.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    So, that titanicus game seems way more expensive than i thought it was going to be. Are those titan models about the same size as knights?

• Options
    Lalabox wrote: »
    So, that titanicus game seems way more expensive than i thought it was going to be. Are those titan models about the same size as knights?

They are a little smaller than a 40k knight. The current Titan is the largest and most expensive, I guess they will be rolling out the smaller ones down the road.

It is frustrating because the point of Titanicus and Epic is that the scale is smaller so the models are cheaper and easy to transport. And then they upped the scale.

• Options
    Master of Mankind spoilers
    In the opening chapter, the last warlord left on earth posits that the Emperor is a biological weapon leftover from the Dark Age, so there’s another possible origin.

Unless they've retconned his origins, I would not be surprised if the Emperor did something fucked up during the dark age of technology. He's immortal, he could probably do all the jobs ever

• Options
    Imagine being alive for tens of thousands of years, then add to that having the greatest psychic awareness, foresight, you spend all that time maybe making a little nudge here and there, but it all falls apart so you flip out and do it yourself, but then that falls apart and everything you've tried to teach people gets perverted and nobody will let you die or move on and you're a God now and you're just so tired.

• Options
    Imagine being alive for tens of thousands of years, then add to that having the greatest psychic awareness, foresight, you spend all that time maybe making a little nudge here and there, but it all falls apart so you flip out and do it yourself, but then that falls apart and everything you've tried to teach people gets perverted and nobody will let you die or move on and you're a God now and you're just so tired.

The Emperor's great foresight and intelligence was his own downfall. There's a short story called the last church.

The TLDR is that the Emperor and the last priest on Earth get into a philosophical/theological debate. The priest pointed out that normies like him need to believe in a higher power and that the Emperor as a higher power didn't see it at his own peril.

Unsurprisingly this all comes to ahead a few hundred years later when the Emperor's grand plan of "pretending that demons of the warp don't exist" goes tits up.

This discussion has been closed.