Options

[PC Build Thread] New graphics cards are outrageously expensive. News at 11.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    i don't know what you guys are talking about my printer works fine

it just chooses not to when i need to actually print something, that's all

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    So rumor has it the 9 series of intel CPUs are coming out 2018, with the i7 being 8c/16t, i5 at 6c/12t, and i3 at 4c/8t.

https://overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/intel_s_9th_generation_i7_9700k_is_rumoured_to_have_8_cores_and_16_threads/1

If these CPU's don't slot in to Z370 boards Intel will confirm themselves as the biggest pieces of shit on the planet. They already got roasted for Z370 so soon after Z270, and now we're seeing rumors of a Z390 jump for the 9th generation chips? When AMD is saying Zen2 will drop in to AM4 boards? Complete bullshit if this ends up true.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I thought intel was already confirmed as pretty large pieces of shit because of how they act in regards to being anticompetitive?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I was hoping Intel would learn a lesson from AMD nipping at their heels and the critical backlash Z370 received. I guess I was wrong.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I'm moving to zen2 when they release.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I was hoping Intel would learn a lesson from AMD nipping at their heels and the critical backlash Z370 received. I guess I was wrong.

The only way to learn 'em is to sink their sales faster 'n a concrete armadiller.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    It's midnight, I finally have time to assemble the PC parts that arrived today. I also need to get up at 6am. Should I assemble the PC instead of going to sleep?

Yes / Yes

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    So rumor has it the 9 series of intel CPUs are coming out 2018, with the i7 being 8c/16t, i5 at 6c/12t, and i3 at 4c/8t.

https://overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/intel_s_9th_generation_i7_9700k_is_rumoured_to_have_8_cores_and_16_threads/1

Didn't 8th series JUST come out?

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Karl wrote: »

Didn't 8th series JUST come out?
    Yes

FxpEBgB.jpg

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Man, yields on 10nm must be REALLY shitty for them to carry on 14nm like this. I keep holding out hope that they're gonna announce Cannonlake's release date.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    So this is probably the best place to put this, but Google Wifi just got an update that (finally) allows customization of the LAN subnet and DHCP range. previously it was locked to 192.168.86.x. That isn't a big deal for most people, but I know one person who was looking at google wifi but ended up going with something else because he had a bunch of equipment on static IP's that would have been a pain to change.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, Slouches towards Cupertino to be born?

bas0y15noubu.jpg

Hackintosh finally booted.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    My stuff has arrived! I'll be shutting this computer down and doing the operation. Hopefully my next post is from a successfully upgraded computer.
    MX51LHfh.jpg

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    My stuff has arrived! I'll be shutting this computer down and doing the operation. Hopefully my next post is from a successfully upgraded computer.
    MX51LHfh.jpg

It's alive! I'll run benchmarks and have a comparison of my old Intel system with a 3570k vs this new AMD Ryzen 7 1700. Should be fun! Not so fun part, I have to call Microsoft later to reactivate Windows because their servers aren't available I guess? It's dumb, whatever. Anyways, I have built in go-fast lights now:
    8h8o5aEh.jpg

• Options
    I’ve been on a call with Microsoft support for 40 minutes and they are now literally downloading the windows 10 installation tool via Remote Desktop even though I told them I have it fresh and ready to go on a usb Drive right here. I had to argue with them that replacing my motherboard did not invalidate my retail copy of Windows and had to explain in detail the steps that their own product and support website laid out for me to be able to do this successfully before it gave up and told me to call them.

So annoying but I’m never giving in.

Hardware runs great though.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Ordered a 500 GB SSD cause the 128 GB I got a few years ago is constantly running low on space.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    One hour and 32 minutes later, I have successfully mined the Microsoft Support system to get my Windows reactivated. They just ended up giving me a new key.

Anyhow...in my benchmarks I'm getting about a 30% increase in 3DMark scores, which I'm happy with. I'm going to go encode some video and see how fast it is. That should really be where this upgrade shines.

edit: heh, yeah, It's like 20x faster at encoding video, and it's only at 50% processor load. Wonder how I make it push that up to ~99%, or even just using all but one or two cores to give me something to use while encoding. I'm sure there's options around for that, I'll look. :+1:

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    Hokay, so...
    I've assembled the new PC. My copy of Win7 was specifically prepared for being transferred to a different computer, so I just plugged the system SSD in, no biggie. And yes, Windows did run with no trouble.

Problem is, windows doesn't recognise the USB ports, apparently it lacks the usb 3.0 drivers. The mouse and keyboard work fine in UEFI, but no dice in Windows.
    I connected the ssd back to the old PC and tried to install the usb 3.0 drivers but the prompt says my computer doesn't meet the sys requirements.
    I tried connecting the front panel USB ports to the legacy 2.0 ports on the MB - no dice (WHY?).

Is it possible to manually install drivers for a device that is not currently present in the system? Or will I have to go and buy a usb->Ps/2 adapter?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    One hour and 32 minutes later, I have successfully mined the Microsoft Support system to get my Windows reactivated. They just ended up giving me a new key.

Granted, it's been a while, but the reactivation should be an automated phone call. I don't think I've ever talked to a human being at MS.

• Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    Hokay, so...
    I've assembled the new PC. My copy of Win7 was specifically prepared for being transferred to a different computer, so I just plugged the system SSD in, no biggie. And yes, Windows did run with no trouble.

Problem is, windows doesn't recognise the USB ports, apparently it lacks the usb 3.0 drivers. The mouse and keyboard work fine in UEFI, but no dice in Windows.
    I connected the ssd back to the old PC and tried to install the usb 3.0 drivers but the prompt says my computer doesn't meet the sys requirements.
    I tried connecting the front panel USB ports to the legacy 2.0 ports on the MB - no dice (WHY?).

Is it possible to manually install drivers for a device that is not currently present in the system? Or will I have to go and buy a usb->Ps/2 adapter?

Did you install your motherboard drivers? If not, go to the OEM's website and grab the drivers specific to your board.

• Options
    I tried. ButI can't install them when the system is not on the mobo, and when it is I cant install them cause I have no mouse and keyboard.

• Options
    Unless I'm missing something, you should have some USB 2.0 ports on the board and they should work. Also, I may be misinterpreting your comment about the front ports, but those should connect to a header on the motherboard instead of as a passthrough from the rear I/O panel.

You probably already did this, but if everything works in UEFI, poke around the USB settings and see if you can make some changes to get the ports to work.

It sounds like you may need to just nuke the Windows install and install Win10 from a USB ISO. You can use your Win7 key when it prompts you for a key (you may need to re-enable it via a phone call like @davidsdurions ).

This is just odd, because I know without a doubt that Win7 added USB 3 support later, so I don't understand why it won't let you install the drivers. Do you happen to have a USB 3.0 hub you can connect so that the computer sees it and lets you install?

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

Granted, it's been a while, but the reactivation should be an automated phone call. I don't think I've ever talked to a human being at MS.

It’s supposed to be automated via the internet and when that fails automated via phone call. I’ve done a few dozen times for others with only one or two having to talk to someone live but it only takes a few minutes of verification those times. Once before on a machine of mine I had to call and talked to a person but it was quickly fixed then too. This time, however, with whatever new system they put in for verifying retail copies with new motherboards installed just failed repeatedly even upon waiting for a fresh install of the OS.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    @Mugsley, so I was being dumb and misread the info on Asrock's site. Turns out there are no Win7 drivers for that mobo at all.
    Switched to Win10 :(

EDIT: aaaaand Dark Souls widescreen doesn't work.

Mayday on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever loaded motherboard drivers.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    @Mugsley, so I was being dumb and misread the info on Asrock's site. Turns out there are no Win7 drivers for that mobo at all.

What intel generation are you on again? I think windows 7 stopped being supported around 7th gen kaby lake and now all new systems need to be windows 10

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    After two weeks of problem free usage, guess who came home to a system that wouldn't boot today? Absolutely no fire to the motherboard. It would light up for a second, then nothing. Tried everything, finally pulled the board out and put my 4790K + board back in, booted right up. So either my PRIME 370-A is dead (my guess), or my 8700K is dead (lets hope not...no warranty since I delidded it, though I think SL would replace it under their warranty). Time to start the RMA...

• Options
    VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    After two weeks of problem free usage, guess who came home to a system that wouldn't boot today? Absolutely no fire to the motherboard. It would light up for a second, then nothing. Tried everything, finally pulled the board out and put my 4790K + board back in, booted right up. So either my PRIME 370-A is dead (my guess), or my 8700K is dead (lets hope not...no warranty since I delidded it, though I think SL would replace it under their warranty). Time to start the RMA...

That is very not great, hopefully you get whatever it is replaced under warranty with no trouble

• Options
    Most of the time whenever I read about people having issues with their PC it seems to be an ASUS motherboard. Maybe it's just because they're more commonly bought (?) but I plan to stay the hell away from that brand just in case

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Most of the time whenever I read about people having issues with their PC it seems to be an ASUS motherboard. Maybe it's just because they're more commonly bought (?) but I plan to stay the hell away from that brand just in case

I've never had trouble with them and I just got a new one. Gigabyte on the other hand...

• Options
    And the Gigabyte my 4790K is on right now has been a rock for three years while I'm RMA'ing an Asus board. It's all luck of the draw honestly. If you tracked failure statistics they'd all line up very close.

• Options

What intel generation are you on again? I think windows 7 stopped being supported around 7th gen kaby lake and now all new systems need to be windows 10

It's 8th, but then it's disappointing because it was pretty obvious the usb drivers were all that I was missing.
    And if I can't run DS (I was in the middle of the damn game - for the first time too!) I'm probably gonna be so pissed that I will return the hardware and look for a different solution.

• Options
    Regarding brand quality my old MSI motherboard and gtx 970 have worked well enough for me, so I guess I shouldn't judge Asus too harshly. I'm still probably going to pick a different brand next upgrade though.

It's 8th, but then it's disappointing because it was pretty obvious the usb drivers were all that I was missing.
    And if I can't run DS (I was in the middle of the damn game - for the first time too!) I'm probably gonna be so pissed that I will return the hardware and look for a different solution.
    I think stick with windows 10 and look for whatever official or unofficial patch to fix the Dark Souls widescreen issue. No point changing brand new hardware over one game that came out 3 years ago.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    @GnomeTank may disagree, but I think it has more to do with the relatively new chipset than the brand of the board.

Though admittedly, I have no idea what devilish deals are being made for the caps, MOSFETs, and other voltage regulators on those boards.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever loaded motherboard drivers.

It's bliss!

Back to the subject of SSDs, I will say that when I was running W7, there was an improvement is speed, but booting wasn't quite what was advertised. I never regretted it, but was surprised.

Then I went to W10...

And that was definitely noticeable on booting and even waking from sleep. So, it is definitely the way to go. And perhaps with more people buying them, the cost will eventually drop to make them even more appealing.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Mugsley wrote: »
    GnomeTank may disagree, but I think it has more to do with the relatively new chipset than the brand of the board.

Though admittedly, I have no idea what devilish deals are being made for the caps, MOSFETs, and other voltage regulators on those boards.

In this case I think the power delivery is what failed. The board just had no fire, and the indicator lights for "Hey, some shit is wrong", would not even light up. The RGB's would flash, then internal power LED would spike, and then...nothing. That sounds like a power issue to me, possibly a short.

The worrying part to me is the sudden failure with no warning. Machine is fine, almost scary fine given a new build, and then suddenly it won't boot, with no warning. I had just spent several hours on it the night before doing some flight sim stuff.

At any rate, I ordered a temporary replacement board from Amazon that will arrive tomorrow. I'll use that to test the CPU and RAM, rule those out as a culprit, while I'm dealing with Asus support. I got the email back from them today, I get to play the "yes I jiggled the whosamiwhatus and jinglyjangly and twisted the mutsatosit" game before they will issue me an RMA number.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Welp. Keep us updated. I'm curious how things shake out.

• Options
    FUKKEN LOL, or THE STORY OF BUYING MY NEW PC:

1)Shipment late by two days
    2)Parts arrive, don't have time to assemble for two days
    3)Assemble, win 7 doesn't recognize USB, spend hours trying to fix
    4)Give up, install win 10. Dark Souls Widescreen doesn't work (the game I was currently playing, super into it)
    5)Spend ~3 hours trying to fix DS, finally succeed. Close the game and go have tea with wife
    6)Get back from tea to find my system SSD FUCKIN' DIED all of a sudden.

Jesus H. Fucking Christ.

• Options
    VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Minor industry news that mainly impacts us north of the border, NCIX has filed for bankruptcy with the Supreme Court of Canada and closed all remaining retail locations with only their head office and warehouse still operating at a significantly reduced headcount.

I hope nobody here has an order in with them right now, getting refunds or chargebacks will apparently get much more difficult to accomplish.
    ps794pkyrcxp.jpg

Varinn on
  • Options
    Ouch, that sucks :( I thought NCIX was pretty popular in Canada, at least the online portion?

This discussion has been closed.