As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] NEVER NEVER NEVER ok

• Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Do Sinn Fein MPs draw their salaries if they don't take their seats?

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Auditing firm KPMG recently said Carillion was in ok shape, so this is starting to feel like an Enron thing.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Do Sinn Fein MPs draw their salaries if they don't take their seats?

Nope, just expenses.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Chris Grayling must know where the bodies are buried because on the surface, he has done nothing to warrant the continued trust May and Cameron have shown in him. With every appointment, the stench of incompetence always lingers closely behind and remains long after he's departed yet he continues to occupy Cabinet positions.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Chris Grayling must know where the bodies are buried because on the surface, he has done nothing to warrant the continued trust May and Cameron have shown in him. With every appointment, the stench of incompetence always lingers closely behind and remains long after he's departed yet he continues to occupy Cabinet positions.

You could replace Chris Grayling's name with a worryingly high number of alternatives here and your post would still make complete sense.

• Options
    I think many people would be ok with this. I'd like to hear what he thinks Brexit should look like.

Boris Johnson would 'rather stay in' the EU than accept a soft Brexit

According to The Sun, Boris Johnson told allies that any Brexit result which left Britain outside of the EU, but still closely aligned to it, would be a "total waste of time," adding that "I'd rather us stay in than leave like that."

A separate report by Politico on Monday confirms this, stating that Johnson told allies that calls for Britain to remain closely aligned to EU rules and regulations after Brexit were "mad," adding that: "You'd be better off staying in."

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    I think many people would be ok with this. I'd like to hear what he thinks Brexit should look like.

According to The Sun, Boris Johnson told allies that any Brexit result which left Britain outside of the EU, but still closely aligned to it, would be a "total waste of time," adding that "I'd rather us stay in than leave like that."

A separate report by Politico on Monday confirms this, stating that Johnson told allies that calls for Britain to remain closely aligned to EU rules and regulations after Brexit were "mad," adding that: "You'd be better off staying in."

I mean

He’s not wrong?

I suspect that, in his heart of hearts, that’s exactly what he wants

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

DO YOU FUCKING THINK, BORIS? REALLY?

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

DO YOU FUCKING THINK, BORIS? REALLY?

No, I don't believe he ever does.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

I'm very confused as to what it is he actually wants. The guy has written articles in favour of FoM which puts him at odds with the vast majority of people he's representing. All this time I thought he wanted a cake and eat it brexit with all the pros and none of the regulation but he's saying here he wants the hardest of hard brexits?

Is it possible that all Boris wants is full EU membership with the ability to independently negotiate trade deals? If so the year since the vote has been a case study in why we probably don't really want that either.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

I'm very confused as to what it is he actually wants. The guy has written articles in favour of FoM which puts him at odds with the vast majority of people he's representing. All this time I thought he wanted a cake and eat it brexit with all the pros and none of the regulation but he's saying here he wants the hardest of hard brexits?

Is it possible that all Boris wants is full EU membership with the ability to independently negotiate trade deals? If so the year since the vote has been a case study in why we probably don't really want that either.

I think he wants a boogeyman he can use to get power without having to deal with the issues the boogeyman brings along.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Boris wants to be PM. That's it. Everything else is whatever gets him closer.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Here's a reminder that trade agreements are complicated and can be easily stalled

Row over manchego could scupper EU trade deal with Mexico as Spain calls out 'cheese pirates'

In one corner, strong-tasting cured manchego sheep’s cheese from central Spain; in the other, a softer cow’s milk product from Mexico, also called manchego, but used to stuff quesadillas, rather than savoured with a glass of Rioja.

Spanish cheesemakers’ demands that this “chalk and cheese” row over what constitutes the real thing be remedied by law is holding up progress as the European Union negotiates a new trade deal with Mexico.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    "But Liam Fox said that securing a trade deal with the EU will be the easiest in human history so I'm going to ignore the facts and listen to Mr Fox." - average Brexit voter.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Here's a reminder that trade agreements are complicated and can be easily stalled

Row over manchego could scupper EU trade deal with Mexico as Spain calls out 'cheese pirates'

In one corner, strong-tasting cured manchego sheep’s cheese from central Spain; in the other, a softer cow’s milk product from Mexico, also called manchego, but used to stuff quesadillas, rather than savoured with a glass of Rioja.

Spanish cheesemakers’ demands that this “chalk and cheese” row over what constitutes the real thing be remedied by law is holding up progress as the European Union negotiates a new trade deal with Mexico.

I watched an episode of "yes minister" that addressed this exact issue last night. Just call it "mexican manchego and spanish manchego" and make both sides feel like they won. Come on lads this isn't difficult.

Also obligatory "holy fucking shit is this show still relevant", like frighteningly so. Take out a couple of references to the USSR and it could have been written yesterday. It's kind of horrifying to realise politics has stood still for 30 years (or longer), we're still mulling over the same issues we were the day I was born.

Casual on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

I watched an episode of "yes minister" that addressed this exact issue last night. Just call it "mexican manchego and spanish manchego" and make both sides feel like they won. Come on lads this isn't difficult.

Also obligatory "holy fucking shit is this show still relevant", like frighteningly so. Take out a couple of references to the USSR and it could have been written yesterday. It's kind of horrifying to realise politics has stood still for 30 years (or longer), we're still mulling over the same issues we were the day I was born.

Strong and Stable.

I wonder if you merely substituted "Russia" or "Putin's Oligarchy" for "USSR", how many of those references would still work? We seem to be in the midst of a renewed Cold War.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options

Oh if only it had stood still..,

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

It really has though, I'm struggling to think of an example of any situation in the show that isn't still going on to this day. What's changed?

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Boris: £350million figure was too low, it should have been £438million
    There was an error on the side of the bus. We grossly underestimated the sum over which we would be able to take back control. As and when the cash becomes available – and it won’t until we leave – the NHS should be at the very top of the list."

That insufferable prat is never one to let a genuine crisis slip past without some form of chest-beating self-aggrandisement.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So that's what, a year and change before we can demand Boris hand over the cash?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I hope that bus is forever hung around his neck like the albatross and the Ancient Mariner.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Oh for god's sake:
    Firefighters are on standby to deliver school meals to children in at least one area of the country as councils and other public bodies scramble to deal with the collapse of the outsourcing firm, Carillion.

The company provided a host of services to the NHS, as well as schools and other organisations across the country that will need to be covered.

Oxfordshire county council, was forced to put the firefighters on notice after Carillion’s downfall left the provision of school meals in the short term in doubt.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jan/15/fire-services-ready-to-deliver-school-meals-after-carillion-collapse

Heads need to roll for this, how can one company provide so many vital services yet still fail?

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Oh for god's sake:
    Firefighters are on standby to deliver school meals to children in at least one area of the country as councils and other public bodies scramble to deal with the collapse of the outsourcing firm, Carillion.

The company provided a host of services to the NHS, as well as schools and other organisations across the country that will need to be covered.

Oxfordshire county council, was forced to put the firefighters on notice after Carillion’s downfall left the provision of school meals in the short term in doubt.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jan/15/fire-services-ready-to-deliver-school-meals-after-carillion-collapse

Heads need to roll for this, how can one company provide so many vital services yet still fail?

I'm guessing because the government wasn't willing to pay a reasonable amount for providing those services?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Firefighters seem a rather drastic group to put into service like that. Odds are there won't be a fire during lunchtime... but what if there is? Couldn't they pull postal workers or somebody else?

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Oh for god's sake:

I'm guessing because the government wasn't willing to pay a reasonable amount for providing those services?
    Or too much of the money was being used to pay upper management and/or stockholders.
    Possibly a combination of both.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Oh for god's sake:

Or too much of the money was being used to pay upper management and/or stockholders.

Shareholders

That's why people are making so much of the fact that they continued paying dividends even as they issued profit warnings and stretched supplier credit terms

• Options
    edited January 2018

Yes Minister should be a mandatory part of the school curriculum. Seriously. Like years 11-12 should have a set 1h/week class that is stuff like: how to make a household budget, how to use a bank account (including how direct debits and other instructions actually work), how to read an advert (and a disclaimer) in print, broadcast and online, basic civic rights and duties, and as a Friday afternoon treat, all 30 epsiodes of Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister.

V1m on
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    There was an error on the side of the bus. We grossly underestimated the sum over which we would be able to take back control. As and when the cash becomes available – and it won’t until we leave – the NHS should be at the very top of the list."

That insufferable prat is never one to let a genuine crisis slip past without some form of chest-beating self-aggrandisement.

Oh. So there is going to be another referendum, or some kind of campaign anyway.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

I am 100% certain this is Boris doing damage control on the "better in than soft brexit" comments that were circulating yesterday. He's trying to get it out the news cycle and throw the rabid badgers a chunk of red meat while he's at it.

It would be clever if it wasn't so astoundingly obvious.

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    Oh for god's sake:

Shareholders

That's why people are making so much of the fact that they continued paying dividends even as they issued profit warnings and stretched supplier credit terms

I really need to find one of these "pay dividends no matter what" companies. Where do people even find these? Is there some sort of rich prick bulletin that keeps them all informed?

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

No shit Boris

But this was always how it was going to play out you dumb fuck

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Oh for god's sake:

Shareholders

I really need to find one of these "pay dividends no matter what" companies. Where do people even find these? Is there some sort of rich prick bulletin that keeps them all informed?

Well, it was a great investment until this week when it suddenly became worthless. Like all profit in trading in over-valued assets, you've got to make sure you get out and leave some other sucker holding the bag before the bubble bursts.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Oh for god's sake:

Shareholders

Well, it was a great investment until this week when it suddenly became worthless. Like all profit in trading in over-valued assets, you've got to make sure you get out and leave some other sucker holding the bag before the bubble bursts.

I have no doubt they all made their money while the gravy train lasted.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Which is probably why these things come as a sudden shock. So those in the know can jettison their stock while it still has value.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Which is probably why these things come as a sudden shock. So those in the know can jettison their stock while it still has value.

The Guardian reports that Hedge funders and other financial speculators have made tens of millions of pounds by quietly betting that Carillion would run into financial distress.

That they've been targeting the company since 2015, but with bets peaking just before the first profit warning.

It certainly seems like some people knew that Carillion wasn't long for this world.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

The Guardian reports that Hedge funders and other financial speculators have made tens of millions of pounds by quietly betting that Carillion would run into financial distress.

That they've been targeting the company since 2015, but with bets peaking just before the first profit warning.

It certainly seems like some people knew that Carillion wasn't long for this world.

The BBC were reporting that some funds have been speculating against Carillion since 2013, so that's nearly half a decade of people thinking something was up.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I work in outsourcing and the company I work for does a lot of Public and Private Sector outsourcing, not competing directly with Carillion but definitely in the same business arena.

Carillion's biggest problem was their reach exceeded their grasp. They were very capable at getting hold of contracts due to a strong bid team and, I'm guessing here, government willingness to go with a familiar face (I'm not going to say the c-word, but let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be the case, legal or not), but they were fucking terrible at doing the job without huge delays and big charges slapped on them.

Here's the government thinking; we'll outsource to Carillion. They'll do it cheaply. When they fuck it up, we'll charge them and recoup even more costs. Carillion's bid leader's thinking; we'll seal the contract and then I'll get my big contract bonus and fuck off to work for someone else.

As a result; large amounts of poorly thought out contracts with a company who were issuing profit warnings years ago fall through when the company folds as it resolutely adheres to it's reputation of being absolutely shit.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Any competent government would have been desperately trying to change contractor since Carillion issued their second quarterly in a row profit warning.

But then government contracts always go to the lowest bidder so you get shit service anyway, and it's riddled with dodginess. The PM's husband is an exec for G4S for Christ's sake.

Solar on
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

It really has though, I'm struggling to think of an example of any situation in the show that isn't still going on to this day. What's changed?

I’d say it’s regressed a fair bit on Europe

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I doubt there was malicious intent about it, but governments tend to stick with what they've done before with this sort of thing. Use someone for one contract? You'll probably end up using them for more in the future, so they become the default option.

The other part (ignoring that they were in trouble) is another common piece of human nature, like when you're warned that this tiny thing could become a serious problem later on. Sure, some people will take immediate action (get more exercise, eat healthier, stop smoking, take your car to the garage, etc), but others will just shrug and say "It's been fine so far".

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
This discussion has been closed.