Options

[Monster Hunter] Monster Hunter World out now! Hatching the friendship-egg.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if they think people will be more scared off by seeing a 50 minute timer and thinking they'll need that, than they will be by running into the 20 minute time limit

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Yea, normal time limit is 50 minutes which is enough that you can completely ignore the time limit 99% of the time.

The difficulty/learning curve could be a source of frustration, but it kind of depends on you. Monster Hunter is all about learning how the monsters attack, learning how to avoid it, then getting your damage in where you can. You can't just button mash. The game also has long animations on some weapons, so it is easy to get into a combo or move and realize that you don't have time to finish, and you get smacked. Monster Hunter has some great design where as a new player, you learn something from each monster that you can use (or look out for) in future fights.

The other thing that can be overwhelming for new players is that there are a ton of items in the game. Not only that, but each item is made up of two raw materials. So you are going to be walking around, gathering stuff and not necessarily knowing what you use those materials for. Luckily, each hunt you go on (for the first half of the game) has a supply box that will give you everything you should need on that hunt. Once you learn a bit more, you can start to bring your own stuff to make hunts easier/faster.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Yeah, for some reason I don't understand, Capcom insists on putting time limits less than half the normal ones in all their demos.

Normally you have 50 minutes for a monster, which is more than enough to take plenty of leisure with anything short of extremely specific G-Ranked damage sponges.

It’s probably because they use these same builds for conventions where having a bunch of people taking 50 minutes to run through a hunt would hold up the line way too much

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Yea, normal time limit is 50 minutes which is enough that you can completely ignore the time limit 99% of the time.

The difficulty/learning curve could be a source of frustration, but it kind of depends on you. Monster Hunter is all about learning how the monsters attack, learning how to avoid it, then getting your damage in where you can. You can't just button mash. The game also has long animations on some weapons, so it is easy to get into a combo or move and realize that you don't have time to finish, and you get smacked. Monster Hunter has some great design where as a new player, you learn something from each monster that you can use (or look out for) in future fights.

The other thing that can be overwhelming for new players is that there are a ton of items in the game. Not only that, but each item is made up of two raw materials. So you are going to be walking around, gathering stuff and not necessarily knowing what you use those materials for. Luckily, each hunt you go on (for the first half of the game) has a supply box that will give you everything you should need on that hunt. Once you learn a bit more, you can start to bring your own stuff to make hunts easier/faster.

A lot of the weapons have exit strategies now. The Greatsword even has a way to let you power through and finish your combo now! So excite.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Qanamil wrote: »
    But I don't mind being splatted and long swords are cooooool.

Remind me to use a ranged weapon when hunting with you so I don't get tripped...

I didn’t do thorough testing but it seems like they vastly reduced tripping in Worlds.

I was playing LS with my hammer friend and asked him to tell me everytime I tripped him but I never did. My tests might actually lead me to maining LS in worlds. It can build meter so fast now, blow through enemy attacks, and tail cut and part break like nobody’s business.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I think in over 2000 hours of hunting I've timed out maybe half a dozen times, tops. Mostly by soloing quests that should best be attempted in a group (3x nargacuga in 3U comes to mind).

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I think in over 2000 hours of hunting I've timed out maybe half a dozen times, tops. Mostly by soloing quests that should best be attempted in a group (3x nargacuga in 3U comes to mind).

The other case is endgame shit that has monstrous HP.

I've also had a couple failures to time on Jhen, generally someone whiffing the dragonator, but...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    People who haven't played the games tend to overthink the timer like its going to be breathing down on them the entire time when its mostly a non factor.

50 minutes is more than enough. Most of the hunts in the game don't take more than 15-30 minutes to complete.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    And there will be a free hunt zone in the game. So if you want to just go out and gather and hunt for a long time you can.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The timer is there so that people can't just cheese a fight to death or something. If a fight is legit hard enough that it's going to take 50 minutes you'll probably run out of revives before you run out of time.

LD50 on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    The timer has only really been a problem when soloing certain giant monsters in G-rank while solo in the old games.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    How does the loot work in group play in this game?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

Everyone gets their own carves and individual drop tables. Your friends will get all the rare stuff you needed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

It’s all individual.

So after the monster dies everyone gets the same number of carves, and broken parts etc count for everyone on the hunt in the end of mission reward thing

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    No fighting over loot.

Monster Hunter is completely noncompetitive in all aspects except for funsies (like arm wrestling in hubs or time trial tournaments in japan).

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    also people new to the game don't really know that 4 man hunts assuming people aren't getting carted left and right are almost always clobberfests in favor of the hunters

it takes more time to find the monster half the time than it does to beat its ass with a competent 4 man group (a mild exaggeration, but)

when I was playing with people from here on MHGen it was almost always like 10-15 minute clears except for when me and frawrst were duoing Amatsu and the challenge stuff like Deviant Xs

Orphane on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Blergh. I really don't want to but a PS4, but I remain bummed all of the folks I've hunted with in the past won't be on Xbox.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Orphane wrote: »
    also people new to the game don't really know that 4 man hunts assuming people aren't getting carted left and right are almost always clobberfests in favor of the hunters

it takes more time to find the monster half the time than it does to beat its ass with a competent 4 man group (a mild exaggeration, but)

when I was playing with people from here on MHGen it was almost always like 10-15 minute clears except for when me and frawrst were duoing Amatsu and the challenge stuff like Deviant Xs

In the post-post-apocalyptic alien dragon war future, the well-connected descendants of mutant super soldiers get richer and the rest of them get flattened by horrible rage beasts and scalped by the cart palicos until they git gud.

Join the hunters guild, they said.

Drink all the fermented honey you want, they said.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »

In the post-post-apocalyptic alien dragon war future, the well-connected descendants of mutant super soldiers get richer and the rest of them get flattened by horrible rage beasts and scalped by the cart palicos until they git gud.

Sci-Fi Monster Hunter would be pretty cool.

Devilijho but with a mohawk and two laser turrets strapped to the side of his face.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Yeah, generally the games are tuned so it is feasible, if hard, for a person to solo it (source: I have played every MonHun since Unite. I haven't played multiplayer at all since Unite), so going with a team of 4 is all kinds of overkill most of the time.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I wonder what will happen to all of the old gunner set designs.

I actually preferred some of them to the blademaster ones visually.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Is there a Monster Hunter version of the Dark Souls 'Jolly Cooperation!' meme image?
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I wonder what will happen to all of the old gunner set designs.

I actually preferred some of them to the blademaster ones visually.

A couple are actually in, in place of a couple of the blademaster sets. But it sadly seems the majority are not in the game.

Rip asymmetrical armor with tons of ammo pouches and other cool design flourishes. :(

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, uh. I'll be on the Xbox cause that's what I've got. Am I alone?

Pretty sure me and Tini are getting this.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Would it be a good experience to go in cold and play for a few days without looking up anything outside the game, if I haven't played a Monster Hunter before? Is it reasonably doable to figure out what monsters are weak to by yourself, or is it something you just need to look up ahead of time?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Would it be a good experience to go in cold and play for a few days without looking up anything outside the game, if I haven't played a Monster Hunter before? Is it reasonably doable to figure out what monsters are weak to by yourself, or is it something you just need to look up ahead of time?

5nqDcyR.jpg

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    To be fair, Tri/3U had a really long and decent tutorial.

• Options
    Honestly, low rank is all tutorial.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Time for school, kids.

Ahhh, good times. But yeah, by all means, jump in and have fun. With this iteration, in particular, the new player experience seems improved.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    And we're here to help you.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular

I don't know if you played the beta or not, but as you track a monster, you fill up a bar. This helps you find the monster during the hunt, but also increases your total knowledge of it. Get enough knowledge, and back at camp you will be able to see weak spots, elemental weaknesses, and so on. The supply box at the start of a quest is also can give you some hints (sonic bombs in there? there is going to be one phase/stance that is good to use them this hunt). They also show the weapon upgrade tree in game too, so you probably are not going to have to check outside info if you don't want to.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Monster elemental weakness is more a useful edge than something thats going to heavily determine the outcome.

The first few quests you'll get in the game will be all tutorial based, running you through gathering and the basics of a hunt.

Weapons vary from the simple to more technical. There will be a training room you can run through all the weapons combos with to see whats gelling with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IbIZ5Bg5xE

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular

Devilijho but with a mohawk and two laser turrets strapped to the side of his face.

This is more or less what God Eater is. Sadly, I feel like Monster Hunter nails it's setting significantly better than most of it's imitators.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Frem wrote: »

This is more or less what God Eater is. Sadly, I feel like Monster Hunter nails it's setting significantly better than most of it's imitators.
    Writing is super animey and kind of lets it down but God Eater has some cool lore and ideas.

Setting is abit darker like I originally assumed MH would be.
    The hunters there get injected with monster DNA essentially so their living weapons don't try to eat them, being tested for compatibility with those things is mandatory once you reach a certain age.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    All of the MonHun imitators try to speed up the combat and remove or reduce the commitment to each action

They all, as a result, end up feeling really sloppy

• Options
    Frem wrote: »

God Eater is good because it's unique enough from Monster Hunter that it's it own thing. That's why it succeeds in comparison to stuff like Toukiden and the like that are more straight imitators.

It's a heavily story-focused sci-fi 'hunting' game series with actual NPC party members and more action-heavy combat. Dashes instead of rolls. Aerial leaps. Faster movement. Sci-Fi weaponry. Equipable special/super moves. Etc. There's a lot to like.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Maddoc wrote: »
    All of the MonHun imitators try to speed up the combat and remove or reduce the commitment to each action

I think God Eater is relatively fine for a template of taking the hunting genre in a different direction and trying to make it more arcadey to stand out from MH. Its not amazing but I enjoy it, its a series I hope to see improve because I like some of the changes it makes.

Toukiden (haven't played the sequel though) I think suffers from the latter of what you're talking about. Tries to go for the same pace as MH but the combat just doesn't feel as involved.

Big part of the problem with both is that the monsters just don't feel like they have anywhere near as much as personality or detail to them as MH's. I think God Eater fares better than Toukiden at that.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    I really like God Eater's story characters. And it's fantastic weapon designs.

But yeah, Monster Hunter wins on the monster designs.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

they also don't connect the enemies you face to the gear you make enough

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Toukiden's armor sets are surprisingly awful.

Samurai armor is so cool. How do you fuck that up?

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

I'm fine with that as long as they do an interesting enough take on it. I'd be all over another Freedom Wars, for example.