Options

[Monster Hunter] Monster Hunter World out now! Hatching the friendship-egg.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Dodogama, the lizard with Guts Man's chin is confirmed to have explosive element aswell.

Going to be a good entry in the series for people who enjoy blowing things up.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    new trailer just released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnubqkITHck

teo and kush and volcano oh my

Oh good. It's not Monster Hunter without seeing Teo 1 shot 3 people at the same time.

i love a full party wipe

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I look forward to using a blast element Lance.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    As a newb with zero monster knowledge I expect to get TPKed from every big bad that just rolls up on me.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtmHYwVODIU
    This is a great video to show anyone complaining about MH feeling clunky

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    As a newb with zero monster knowledge I expect to get TPKed from every big bad that just rolls up on me.

Eh, just use SnS then. Best survivability of any weapon type bar none imo, since you can evade out of literally anything to avoid attacks, use items without sheathing (although SnS sheathes quickly anyways), and have a shield (not 100% damage blocking, just... 80% or something without skills boosting it? But that's enough to change half your health lost to chip damage, so...). And the fastest run speed with weapon drawn (matched by duals and buffed HH iirc).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Hooray for last minute final beta!

Will actually be getting my PS4 around that time. Nice chance to experiment with the weapons and see where I'm at with them for this one.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    But I don't mind being splatted and long swords are cooooool.

• Options
    Qanamil wrote: »
    But I don't mind being splatted and long swords are cooooool.

Remind me to use a ranged weapon when hunting with you so I don't get tripped...

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Is the deluxe edition all about the cosmetics?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Is the deluxe edition all about the cosmetics?

It is. The samurai armor, some eye modification, an emote, and then the stickers you put in chat seem to be all you get. I haven't particularly felt like it'd be worth it.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i'm 100% confident it's not worth it and i bought it anyway

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Looking forward to facing off against Nerdgigante. Its my least favorite flagship monster design but hoping the actual fight might change that.

Probably wouldn't have thought much of Brachydios if I had actually saw him before I took on my first mission against him in 4U but you can really see where they went with his look and characteristics in the encounter.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Of the flagship monsters... Brachy is decent, but... I dunno. Not aesthetically my favorite, but a fun fight. Zinogre remains king for me.

• Options
    Yeah to be honest a lot of the designs in World aren't doing it for me just yet, but I've enjoyed playing against most things just fine

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Of the flagship monsters... Brachy is decent, but... I dunno. Not aesthetically my favorite, but a fun fight. Zinogre remains king for me.
    I like Brachydios' because he's pretty bizarre and stands out. He's a giant colorful dino monster with explosive snot and fists.

Zinogre is a glistening god. Can't think of one thing I don't like about that monster. Great moveset, awesome music, badass heavy metal design.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Mine still remains Nargacuga.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Man, the intro movie to Portable 3rd where the thunderbugs drift through the night sky and then zinogre comes hulking out of the darkness is still one of my favorites.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Tiggy

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Gore Magala was my first so I'm probably always going to have a special place in my heart for him.

Very consistently enjoyable hunt too.

• Options
    Yeah, Magala hunts are fun (both versions). The feelers are a bit of a pain to get... mostly because people kill it so hard and fast they don't stay out long enough to break.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    My first was Lagiacrus

Which I still have a soft spot for

But of the flagships, Nargacuga is my favorite to hunt

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I like most flagships. Nargacuga, Lagiacrus, Zinogre, Magala, Brachydios, they're all good. Tigrex may be my least favorite. He's never a fun fight.

Actually, who was the flagship of Generations, again? The four musketeers?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Tigger occupies a special place in my heart. He slapped my shit on that lonely frozen mountaintop while I was trying to hunt pork.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    I like most flagships. Nargacuga, Lagiacrus, Zinogre, Magala, Brachydios, they're all good. Tigrex may be my least favorite. He's never a fun fight.

Actually, who was the flagship of Generations, again? The four musketeers?

Yeah, Gen did the four flagships. Gammoth is probably my favorite of them.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I'd love to see Gore Magala again in one of the DLC updates. Astalos from Gen too, good fight and a great looking set.

Of the various Elder Dragons, I'd like to see Chameleos back. They're probably my favourite.

(I'd also be fine if we never saw Fatalis again.)

Edit: Almost forgot Seregios, the other 4 flagship. It'd be good to have them back too.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Really hoping the Fated Four make it into an update.

All four are a highlight of Gen. Well...Astalos isn't that great but his theme is amazing.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Really hoping the Fated Four make it into G Rank.

All four are a highlight of Gen. Well...Astalos isn't that great but his theme is amazing.

And his armor has a cool look to it.

But Mizu and Gammoth are the highlights to me.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Really hoping the Fated Four make it into G Rank.

And his armor has a cool look to it.

But Mizu and Gammoth are the highlights to me.
    Gammoth would look amazing in HD.

Really sell the scale of that majestic bastard in a way the 3DS couldn't.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Mine still remains Nargacuga.

I'm really torn between Nargacuga and Zinogre as my favorite monsters

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    My favorite monster is unfortunately a variant so it showing up in games is a bit of a struggle.

I'm of course talking about the molten tigrex and its earth shattering roars.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-monster-hunter-world-beta-announced-with-new/1100-6455913/

1 final beta for PS4 hunters. Starts Thursday the 18th 6 PM PST through Sunday the 21st 6 PM PST.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Quropeco is like amazing in both theme and its armor. Personally i hate seregios because ive hunted a billion of them because their weapons are always good. I think astalos had the best armor design in gen, but mizutsune was a more fun fight. I never want to fight glav again. Gammoth i honestly just fought like 5 times. Didnt hate it, but it didnt seem very interesting either.

Id like to see wroggi and its armor back. Lagiacrus was cool, but i feel like it needs to be in the water to really work. Id like to see barroth back too since it was kind of like a nargacuga combined with a tigrex. If zinogre is in i hope its just the stygian version.

I think im more interested in fighting new monsters and messing with the new armor system, so it doesnt really matter whats in, because im going to play it anyway. I just hope there isnt some imbalance where one monster is just 100% the best like hellblade was in gen. I want people to look different, use different weapons, and want to hunt more than one thing.

• Options
    to be honest as much as there are armour sets that i love and wish i could wear again, what i actually want is all new armour

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I wonder which monster will be teaching class this time.

Oh Kut-ku. You so dreamy.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    I want to get this for my xbox one so it's finally used again, but it always seems like a vertical wall in difficulty/learning curve, and I'm not sure it'll have anything that I like about it. The polygon video seemed good, but how often does the time limit actually come into play? That seems slightly frustrating, but I've been playing world of tanks and fortnite, which have timelimits of roughly the same amount so I could deal with it. I just don't need another source of frustration in my life tho. Someone sell me on buying this and pugging/soloing hunts.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I want to get this for my xbox one so it's finally used again, but it always seems like a vertical wall in difficulty/learning curve, and I'm not sure it'll have anything that I like about it. The polygon video seemed good, but how often does the time limit actually come into play? That seems slightly frustrating, but I've been playing world of tanks and fortnite, which have timelimits of roughly the same amount so I could deal with it. I just don't need another source of frustration in my life tho. Someone sell me on buying this and pugging/soloing hunts.

The time limits are more anti-cheese than something that regularly breathes down your neck. If you are absolutely getting destroyed and just aren't seeing the openings, you may well time out, but monhun is about learning and adapting as best you can. That adaptation can be approached in different ways.

Say you're just not that great at a monster. You can sorta get your hits in, but you're not good enough to dance. That time limit looks like a serious problem. What can you do besides gitting gud?

Well, you've got regular consumables. Maybe bigger potions are all you need to tank a few more hits and get the job done, or you might carry more raw materials to fashion more potions on the spot. But if they're not cutting it you have options.

You could break out your toolkit. Traps to catch a monster, barrel bombs of all sizes to blow them sky high. Sonic bombs to knock them out of the ground, flash bombs to bedazzle them. Meat to lure them and poison to kill them. You can absolutely throw the contents of your inventory into the fight so that you can make your own openings or take full advantage of ones you can find.

Common example: Say you can hurt a monster such that it limps off to its lair. Once there, it'll nest up and regenerate. But if you piss it off then, you're stuck fighting it in a cave. It was already hard!

What now?

Easy answer! Sneak in there and place a bunch of bombs next to its head, then light the bastard up. See how it likes that. You might even kill it outright, or at least make enough breathing room for your potion supply to keep up for the final stretch.

Is it just too squirrely for you to get good hits in? Drop a trap in its way! Lead that sucker in, paralyze it, net it, whatever. Get your status damage in, get your bombs in, get in the wombo combo. Then do it again!

Does it have a mechanic you can't deal with? Could be there are armor sets with skills to counter just that. Earplugs for roars, or guard up so you can no-sell an attack. Even auto guard, for times when you can't quite figure out the tells from a certain approach.

Or, beyond all that, you could swap weapons and change your entire game plan. Maybe this monster is such a drag that you've gotta break out the gun, where you were a sword and board, or a lance when you were a bowman. No shame in that. Alternatively, a different weapon of the same class might be better suited, if it has a focus on a useful element or status effect a monster is weak to.

Grouping up is a different experience compared to solo, as the monster will be a bit tougher and also be harder to predict as it swaps targets. Jolly cooperation can be great fun, but you do need to work with other players. It is possible to trip each other, or just get in each other's way, so they're more than faceless ghosts adding dps. After some growing pains, I expect you'll find real joy in grouping up.

Three or four-man fights tend to be chaotic to look at, but there is sense to it all. A hammer going for the head so that he can knock the critter out. A greatsword might be setting up off to the side for a charge combo, while a slicey dicey dual sword is just hogging that tail, trying to cut it off. Everyone will have some ideal way of doing the job, and you'll naturally cooperate. You'll also share in failure, as carts are global, that is, being knocked out loses your team a life. Too many hunters carted to base? Hunt over, try again!

What you won't see in the demo is the full gameplay loop of exploration, gathering, crafting, discovery, murdertimes and jolly-cooperation. Monhun is as fast or as slow as you make it, beyond the early stage of finding where the mushrooms grow. The monsters you are introduced to don't start out being soul-crushing engines of despair, apart from a pointed example of such an engine placed for you to compare and contrast as you progress. The devs are friendly that way. They'll give you every opportunity to learn.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

The time limits in the beta (as in previous demos and convention builds of other entries in the series) are most likely much shorter than the timer in the game proper.

I’d be very surprised if there are 20 minute limits on hunts in the released game

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Yeah, for some reason I don't understand, Capcom insists on putting time limits less than half the normal ones in all their demos.

Normally you have 50 minutes for a monster, which is more than enough to take plenty of leisure with anything short of extremely specific G-Ranked damage sponges.

Steam ID: Right here.