Options

Please let these [Star Wars] stay...

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    the rule of two is stupid

It's also not like, an actual physical law. It's just a general social rule, like bushido, and like bushido it's ignored all the goddamn time.

That fans treat it like an absolute is silly. Especially when it's broken directly in the very same trilogy of movies.

"Always a Master and an Apprentice there is. And a different apprentice that they're keeping even more secret, and the long term apprentice they're turning to the dark side and training, and their apprentices, and that race of dark side witches we don't count for some reason."

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's pretty consistent in the movies.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

Except that Dooku was an apprentice at the same time as Maul?

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Never stated in the movies that I can recall.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Did the term, 'Sith' even exist before TPM?

The term Dark Lord of the Sith was cut from the opening crawl of ANH, so yes.

• Options

Episode 2 is ten years after 1, and the Clone army had been commissioned 10 years before Episode 2 by Dooku who had removed the system from the jedi archives. So while technically Maul could have died in Galactic-January and Dooku could have turned in Galactic-September, the timeline works out that it's more likely that Dooku was already apprenticed to Sidious before Maul's death even if not explicitly stated, which it was later in the Canon EU.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    What was the point of Maul's involvement in TPM

• Options

Episode 2 is ten years after 1, and the Clone army had been commissioned 10 years before Episode 2 by Dooku who had removed the system from the jedi archives. So while technically Maul could have died in Galactic-January and Dooku could have turned in Galactic-September, the timeline works out that it's more likely that Dooku was already apprenticed to Sidious before Maul's death even if not explicitly stated, which it was later in the Canon EU.

This is tenuous enough that I stand by my statement of "it's pretty consistent in the movies"

• Options

Kill the Jedi, help the trade federation get away with sowing chaos so that Sidious could seize power politically.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

To represent the presence of the Sith without cluing the heroes in on Palpatine's involvement. He needed to hint at a more ominous threat, some kind of a ... phantom menace you might say.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Why did Maul attack them on Tatooine though, they were trying to get the queen to safety

Shouldn't it have been in Palpatine's interest for the queen to get to Coruscant so she could raise awareness

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    el_vicio wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    Speaking of paper, I really felt weirded out that the term "pageturner" appeared in this movie, as a thing in the Star Wars universe, which relies on holodisplaycyberbooks without physical pages forever

Is.... is this a bit?

No.
    I don't recall seeing a physical book in any of the Star Wars movies, certainly not in Luke's lifetime

e: it just seems like an insertion of a term that we as an audience are familiar with, but it doesn't really fit in the world that has been established so far. Even in the prequels they say "what in the blazes" instead of just going with "what the hell". Obviously it's not as bad as that terrible, terrible can-you-hear-me-now "joke", but it's a weird thing to me.

Not to be a dick, but Han straight up says "Then I'll see you in hell" in Empire.

Hearing Yoda say "pageturner" weirded me out as well, though.
    Yoda is one of the few characters old enough and knowledgeable about old stuff that he'd actually know what books are. It gets a pass for me because it's Yoda. Yeah he'd know about weird antique things like paper that you 'write' on.

Gundi on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Speaking of paper, I really felt weirded out that the term "pageturner" appeared in this movie, as a thing in the Star Wars universe, which relies on holodisplaycyberbooks without physical pages forever

Is.... is this a bit?

No.
    I don't recall seeing a physical book in any of the Star Wars movies, certainly not in Luke's lifetime

e: it just seems like an insertion of a term that we as an audience are familiar with, but it doesn't really fit in the world that has been established so far. Even in the prequels they say "what in the blazes" instead of just going with "what the hell". Obviously it's not as bad as that terrible, terrible can-you-hear-me-now "joke", but it's a weird thing to me.

Not to be a dick, but Han straight up says "Then I'll see you in hell" in Empire.

Hearing Yoda say "pageturner" weirded me out as well, though.
    It caught me off guard because I expected one or both of them to admit they couldn't read a book written thousands of generations ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    It's written in force

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    You probably read them like Joseph Smith read the golden plates

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Just as a casual observer, there seems to be a few major languages that pretty much everyone in the Star Wars universe understands. Typically when you learn a new language, you learn how to read and write it as well as speak it, yeah?

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Even his tweets are shot well

• Options
    I didn't know that power was a source of controversy. Seemed very in keeping with existing portrayals to me

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I'm choosing to interpret something else from those tweets.

Which is that one of the sacred Jedi texts was a collection of Far Side cartoons

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    sith tools

• Options
    The Chicago Manual of Style is a Sith book, obviously.

• Options
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    sith tools

Tetherporg

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I always kind of liked the idea that the Sith had the rule of two but also, being Sith, they basically engaged in ruthless treachery all the time

Like, Sidious was probably training Maul and Dooku at the same time, told them both he was their apprentice and that there was a rule of only being one of them, and had either of them found out about the other he'd have expected them to murder each other, survivor gets to keep on being the apprentice. When Anakin fights Dooku in round two, he doesn't care who wins, because either way the survivor will be his apprentice going forward.

It's definitely a massive theme of the Sith that they are constantly betraying each other and looking over their shoulder. In the OT, Vader is perfectly happy to take out Sidious if Luke joins him, and Sidious doesn't give a shit if Luke kills Vader because eh he'll join the dark side and then he'll be mine! The Rule of Two basically means "we survive through stealth, dumbasses, so pick who you train wisely and don't let them run around stabbing people if you don't want to be up to your neck in Jedi."

• Options
    edited January 2018
    No no no Palpatine and Snoke are Sith tools.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I didn't know that power was a source of controversy. Seemed very in keeping with existing portrayals to me

It's basically right from dark empire

im9rapbn1c401.jpg

• Options
    Bloods End wrote: »

It's basically right from dark empire

im9rapbn1c401.jpg

ah, so that's what Anna Baldavich looks like

• Options
    Dark Empire was so damn good.

• Options
    I haven't read any of the old comics, aside from some of the rogue squadron stuff

I should do that

apparently that's where Exar Kun originally came from, I always thought he was invented for the jedi academy trilogy

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Rian Johnston is cool n all, but that's a bit too Harry Potterish for my taste.
    "Similfuturus!"

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    So Kevin j Anderson (rightfully) gets a lot of shit for his works but I will say his work on the tales of the Jedi comics was good to great and the finale, Redemption was pitch perfect. And tales of the Jedi should be read by more people, That's where kotor got a lot of its lore

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Re. Luke
    Honestly I thought it was a very cool way of show undeniably impressive power and control without taking the obvious and, IMO, rather poor route of just giving him some sort of amped up telekinesis etc

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Bloods End wrote: »
    So Kevin j Anderson (rightfully) gets a lot of shit for his works but I will say his work on the tales of the Jedi comics was good to great and the finale, Redemption was pitch perfect. And tales of the Jedi should be read by more people, That's where kotor got a lot of its lore

KJA star wars has some really high highs and some really low lows

but honestly the main reason I dislike him is for his work on the Dune series

Shorty on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I did read Dark Empire, way back in the 90's, I think... but I remember basically nothing, except I was underwhelmed based on how it had been built up in reputation.

Which is probably a good rule of thumb to keep in mind about EU stuff in general.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

ok can I just say everyone is dickriding that librarian like they forgot she straight tells Obi-Wan that if he can't find shit in the library it don't exist

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    I mean maybe you try dickriding a librarian? Ever though of that? Huh?

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    I mean maybe you try dickriding a librarian? Ever though of that? Huh?

I only dickride people that are good at their job

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Nobody in Clone Wars ever seems to remember that they're Jedi

There's this whole episode where Ahsoka is chasing someone who stole her lightsaber and I'm like, grab it! With the Force! It's literally the first thing they teach you to do!

• Options
    Are you watching season 1? Don't watch season 1. It's like TNG.

This discussion has been closed.