As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Snow]: A Four Letter Word

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Were many indigenous Americans or early European settlers based in the places that get to -50, and how the fuck did they deal with that without modern luxuries like double glazed windows and central heating if so?

Central heating is just "how can we efficiently burn as little fuel as possible and pipe it around this very large house".

A big enough fire is plenty warm enough even if all you have is rudimentary tent and some fur-lined clothing. Extreme temps were rare compared to today (thanks global warming!) and I think most natives would avoid it and spend most of their time in their dwellings since they would have plenty of food set aside already.

That's just what I know of the Iroquois though. Their long houses were good enough for Central New York winters which tend to be some of the more consistently brutal ones in the US/Canada (roughly on par with Norway (Oslo) with 2-3 times as much snow).

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    We got so much snow the other day. Like theres been more but this is the first time in my current place and I spent nearly 2 hours shoveling.

Now that I have some spots cleared I'm hoping our counties declare a state of emergency tomorrow. I live in the no color part of that cold map and its going to be -15 before wind, and around -25 to -30 with windchill.

All our schools are closed.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    qafowogqwkeu.jpg

FUCK YOOOOOOOOU

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    That is some scary, not really appropriate for jokes weather.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It's insane. My biggest worry is my car starting after work.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    damn Raijin where did you find a weather app for Neptune?

Wait I missed the memo about not joking about the weather

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Wind chill here is already -35 and dropping

Imma make some French press coffee...

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    -28 and falling. I won't be outside today at all, thank god.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Please joke about the weather. Otherwise it just makes me sad

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    So by noon it will have warmed up to a balmy zero!

And the will chill will only make it feel like -24 :rotate:

• Options
    Well nevermind. Our water froze.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Ive been up since 2 am and kind of have some cabin fever :|

But Im also afraid of being stranded somewhere because my car wont start :(

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    It's -13°F here. That's before the wind chill is factored in.

The wind is whispering the words "stay inside all day and play Resident Evil 2" at me and I am compelled to heed its advice.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    16F, feels like 4F

• Options
    Well the kurig still had water in it so I have one cup of coffee

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Please joke about the weather. Otherwise it just makes me sad

I thought it was really cold outside but it turned out it was actually a professional wrestler walking by but I'm not too familiar with those so I can't remember which one exactly.

• Options
    There is water coming out of my faucet now

Diagonally.

• Options
    I could go for the Dudleyz burning a table for warmth in my office, maybe even take a 3D through it

• Options
    So many people are work from home today due to the cold that the VPN service crashed

• Options
    We have 88 out of 150ish people out today.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It's a relatively toasty 19F here right now

Tomorrow will be the fun day where the high is like 2F

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    It is -22 right now. Wind chill is -51. It will be colder tonight.

My kids want to roast marshmallows on one of the oven burners and I'm just like, "Yeah...ok...that sounds nice."

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Also, fuck KY governor Matt Bevin:
    Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin, like many Republican leaders, believes that American children are too weak. His latest evidence: Some schools in his state have closed for the dangerously cold polar vortex winds that are currently scouring the midwest and pushing frigid air to states nearby.

“Come on, now,” Bevin said to radio host Terry Meiners in an interview Tuesday, after the host had called the cold “serious business” in protest to Bevin’s complaint. “There’s no ice going with it or any snow. What happens to America. We’re getting soft, Terry, we’re getting soft.”

Bevin did admit that it was better for schools to “err on the side of being safe,” but he maintained that the current way children were being raised softened them:
    I’m being only slightly facetious. But it does concern me a little bit that in America on this and any number of other fronts, we’re sending messages to our young people that if life is hard you can curl up in the fetal position—somewhere in a warm place—and wait till it stops being hard. And that just isn’t reality. It just isn’t.

Apparently in his mind, frostbite builds character.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Old, stupid men always think that the kids are being raised too soft and not being given a proper toughening up like they got!

Thus has it always been.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    We have a politician in our country saying we are too soft, and Brexit making us run out of food and medicine will be good for us because it will toughen us up. These people are dangerously insane!

• Options
    "I got the shit beat out of me so bad I couldn't even sit down, look at me, I'm not awful in anyway with these dumb ideas because of it... kids these days are soft!"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    I have never had any idea what "building character" meant other than a weird way to try recontextualize suffering into a positive light

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The only way building character makes any sense is if you consider how many born rich people seem to lack any empathy.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    It's thunderstorming in Los Angeles this morning and there was just a particularly loud and long rumble that got my whole office excited.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    It's thunderstorming in Los Angeles this morning and there was just a particularly loud and long rumble that got my whole office excited.

"Maybe we're finally breaking off into the sea!"

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
  • Options
    I still am not sure if conservatives are actually that fucking stupid, or being performatively obtuse because they've painted themselves into the "well shucks I'm just a simple farmer" narrative corner.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    It was 1F here this morning. Not even close to how cold it is in the midwest, but that was enough to make me want to curl up in a fire.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    3clipse wrote: »
    I still am not sure if conservatives are actually that fucking stupid, or being performatively obtuse because they've painted themselves into the "well shucks I'm just a simple farmer" narrative corner.

Most are legitimately that stupid.

bowen on
  • Options
    Came home for lunch to discover that my apartment's ceiling is leaking. Like, a lot. Just right out of the ceiling.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Came home for lunch to discover that my apartment's ceiling is leaking. Like, a lot. Just right out of the ceiling.

pipe burst in a unit above?

that sucks, sorry =(

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

pipe burst in a unit above?

that sucks, sorry =(

Seems to be rain related. No one is quite sure what's exactly the problem, luckily the maintenance guys were here to change locks in the building so they got some plastic sheeting and buckets out real quick.

• Options
    Luckily I moved my PC into my bedroom after my ex moved out, it would have been directly under the leak otherwise.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Alert, alert. It is snowing in Bristol. Everyone to crisis stations. Tell my wife I love her.