Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 2019 - We Are All Filthy Animals, Apparently

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    And in "how does this happen", Jeopardy! contestants go 0 for 5 - in the football category.

I'm just wondering...how?

Jeopardy people fail at all sorts of categories.

Except college sports categories where they all somehow know tons of random facts about the bazillion schools that play sports ball down there.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    And in "how does this happen", Jeopardy! contestants go 0 for 5 - in the football category.

Except college sports categories where they all somehow know tons of random facts about the bazillion schools that play sports ball down there.

I eagerly await when my trivia knowledge of subjects like Warhammer, Battletech, and Dragonlance or the X-men is given its own category much like sports get.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Garthor wrote: »

I, uh...

guessed one of those correct?

How sad should I feel for myself that I got all 5 right without guessing?

Veevee on
  • Options

I eagerly await when my trivia knowledge of subjects like Warhammer, Battletech, and Dragonlance or the X-men is given its own category much like sports get.

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2017/09/final-jeopardy-9-21-2017.html
    Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category Comic Books) for Thursday, September 21, 2017:

Told to create a character called this, Len Wein learned the real animal is short, hairy & will attack an enemy 10 times its size

Correct response/question:
    What is Wolverine?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    In the continuing travails of John McAfee, International Antivirus Maker of Mystery:

Wow. Apparently, he's looking for his own Roberta here.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    What the fuck does a low-quality anti-virus software maker need a live-in security team for?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    What the fuck does a low-quality anti-virus software maker need a live-in security team for?

He got really, really weird after leaving the company. Drugs have been involved.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

it was pretty funny with one or two questions left to go alex was like um can we just go to commercial hahaha. Usually there is some sports savant on that show pretty funny to see three people who really have no idea about sportsball at all.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

He got really, really weird after leaving the company. Drugs have been involved.

I thought he was in prison for like... murder or something ?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    kaid wrote: »

it was pretty funny with one or two questions left to go alex was like um can we just go to commercial hahaha. Usually there is some sports savant on that show pretty funny to see three people who really have no idea about sportsball at all.

Here's the clip:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h33u2eeVqXo

Apparently, they showed it on SportsCenter, and the hosts were dumbstruck.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

Here's the clip:

I'd like to see the hosts on SportsCenter answer the other questions that were on that grid. Even one of them. Or just write their own names, for that matter.

sig.gif
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

I, uh...

I got 2/5. Option play and fair catch. If I'd been in the right mindset, I'd probably have got offset penalty too.

Those were pretty hard questions though.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

I, uh...

I got 2/5. Option play and fair catch. If I'd been in the right mindset, I'd probably have got offset penalty too.

Eh the two harder ones were the Purple People Eaters and the Cowboys one. And I'd even argue that the Cowboys one was bullshit because Shotgun is basically a Spread Double Wing re-branded, which had been around since the 30's in college ball. Obviously the big qualifier was naming Landry in the question, but at that point you should have just asked what team he coached.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

I, uh...

Those weren't hard at all. I'd be comfortable asking any of them at either of the trivia nights I host at local bars, and I would expect the vast majority of teams to get the first three right. The last couple would be basically impossible for teams who don't bring a sports person, but most do. I'd still expect half or more to get each of them.

If I asked a question about Warhammer, Battletech or Dragonlance it would get booed, unfortunately. X-Men would be doable, but would have to be kept at a level most of us would consider too easy.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I knew none of those :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Ketar wrote: »

I, uh...

Those weren't hard at all. I'd be comfortable asking any of them at either of the trivia nights I host at local bars, and I would expect the vast majority of teams to get the first three right. The last couple would be basically impossible for teams who don't bring a sports person, but most do. I'd still expect half or more to get each of them.

If I asked a question about Warhammer, Battletech or Dragonlance it would get booed, unfortunately. X-Men would be doable, but would have to be kept at a level most of us would consider too easy.

Several contestants have said that the show tests breadth of knowledge, not depth. As such, how "in the weeds" the show gets is a good barometer of what they consider the "general" level of knowledge on a subject is.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

He is on the run to avoid being questioned.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular

Here's the clip:

I got all but the last question. Alex was getting a little salty towards the end there.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I got two wrong, because Trebek said “Landry” and I heard “Lombardi,” and because I’ve never really been a huge fan of the Vikings and so didn’t know who the PPEs were.

Had they made it to this weekend’s game, I am sure that lack would have been rectified.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »

He is on the run to avoid being questioned.

For clarification it should be said that he's on the run from the government of Belize, who have about the same international clout as a used car salesman.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Robonun wrote: »

Here's the clip:

I got all but the last question. Alex was getting a little salty towards the end there.

Well he realized none of them were going to anwer any of those questions. I do like the um can we cut to commercial with a couple questions remaining.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I got two wrong, because Trebek said “Landry” and I heard “Lombardi,” and because I’ve never really been a huge fan of the Vikings and so didn’t know who the PPEs were.

Had they made it to this weekend’s game, I am sure that lack would have been rectified.

I knew the Tom Landry one because of King of the Hill, and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Bursar wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »

I knew the Tom Landry one because of King of the Hill, and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

This is true for a lot of people and how they remember history. Landry = Cowboys (which I also remember because of Hank Hill), while Purple People Eaters are both a one-eyed, one-horned monster and the Minnesota defensive line. These two take the barest knowledge of the history of the game

The others were just technical questions that you here mentioned several times by the announcers every game. These three you just need to pay attention to just about any one game played to know.

Veevee on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Gee I wonder why smart and bookish folk wouldn't ever want to learn about football, the sport that most of the people prone to abusing them played.........

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Gee I wonder why smart and bookish folk wouldn't ever want to learn about football, the sport that most of the people prone to abusing them played.........

More than that, I think there's the issue of there only being a relatively small number of football teams worth following closely for a really big country. Over half the states in the US don't have an NFL team and it's not exactly a popular sport outside the US. And unlike a lot of other sports like basketball, soccer, or baseball, it takes a lot of equipment to play football safely (safe being a very relative term in football) so it's not as easy to get into at a hobbyist or amateur level. On top of that, it has a ton of jargon and a lot more weird rules compared to the other big sports.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJT20WxfHss

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJT20WxfHss

EverQuest!

Edit: What is EverQuest?

Sorry

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Robonun wrote: »

Here's the clip:

He wan't getting salty, he's joking with them because the situation is ridiculous.

Also, not at you specifically, I don't know the answer to any of those. I could have guessed and maybe nailed one or two, but I wouldn't risk it in that game honestly. Thinking there's anything weird about that situation is assuming a level of general football knowledge that is not consistent across a lot of cultural or geographic lines.

It's hilarious to watch though.

• Options

More than that, I think there's the issue of there only being a relatively small number of football teams worth following closely for a really big country. Over half the states in the US don't have an NFL team and it's not exactly a popular sport outside the US. And unlike a lot of other sports like basketball, soccer, or baseball, it takes a lot of equipment to play football safely (safe being a very relative term in football) so it's not as easy to get into at a hobbyist or amateur level. On top of that, it has a ton of jargon and a lot more weird rules compared to the other big sports.

And yet somehow the fucking college sports categories consistently get cleaned up.

I have never understood how that happens, but it does.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category Comic Books) for Thursday, September 21, 2017:

Told to create a character called this, Len Wein learned the real animal is short, hairy & will attack an enemy 10 times its size

What is Wolverine?

Correct response should have been Who is. But I don't know if someone would be disqualified there.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I didn't know any of the sportsball questions.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

I lettered on the football and quiz bowl/academic team in high school. Primarily playing right guard and occasionally fullback with the meat heads and specializing in history and math on the geek squad, then took up freestyle wrestling for a bit in college.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

I don't know the details of your personal experience, but this is really stereotypical profiling. I got picked on in school, but it wasn't by any specific culture, it was just by bullies.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

I don't know the details of your personal experience, but this is really stereotypical profiling. I got picked on in school, but it wasn't by any specific culture, it was just by bullies.

I'm glad your experience was different but sorry it's beyond just personal experience. But whatever don't feel like arguing about it

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Considering over 40 million people watched the NFC and AFC championships, and well over 100 million will watch the Super Bowl, I don't think that knowing some basic football terminology is some arcane knowledge locked deep in the Dudebro Caves.

It's not like they asked a question about major league soccer or League.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Considering over 40 million people watched the NFC and AFC championships, and well over 100 million will watch the Super Bowl, I don't think that knowing some basic football terminology is some arcane knowledge locked deep in the Dudebro Caves.

It's not like they asked a question about major league soccer or League.

You can watch the playoff and Super Bowl games without having a good understanding of the terminology and rules and definitely the history of the sport.

I watched the Super Bowl pretty regularly for like 20 years before I finally learned what a "down" actually was.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »

What is Wolverine?

Correct response should have been Who is. But I don't know if someone would be disqualified there.

No I'm pretty sure it's "what", because it's asking for the name of the character, not the character.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Pizza shop workers take down armed robber, only to find it's their former boss.

The tweet that led me here noted, "What is this Scooby Doo shit?"

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!