Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 2019 - We Are All Filthy Animals, Apparently

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I'm disappointed that the shoulder and hip protection isn't aligned in such a way as to give your pet the greatest compromise between mobility and protection.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Kids (and cats) getting stuck in claw machines happens at a rate that makes me think they should redesign those things.

I agree entirely!

But when I showed the New England Journal of Medicine my proposal for replacing children's spines with a flexible mesh they just kicked me out of the building!

Felines are liquid. Would you propose to giving them hardened bones?

I see you also are a student of (ig)Nobel prize winning scientist Marc-Antoine Fardin.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/2017-ig-nobel-prize-fluid-dynamics-cats

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Always double check what you're actually buying
    Duncan Robb found a steal for Chili Peppers tickets meant as a Christmas present for his partner and only paid £30 ($41) online. Turns out there was a very good reason that the tickets were so cheap. He realized his mistake after flying to Belfast and ended up seeing the 'worlds best bagpipe band,' the Red Hot Chilli Pipers.

Clearly, Duncan should have proofread the tickets because they clearly say "Red Hot Chilli Pipers," who describe themselves as "the most famous bagpipe band on the planet."

Duncan told Storyful, "fast forward a month and we get the actual tickets through the post – brilliant! Up they went on the board – still nobody had noticed my mistake. "It was only until the Wednesday before when my gf wanted to know who was supporting them. She couldn’t find anything about the Red Hot Chili Peppers performing in Belfast."

The couple still went to the show and if you're going to see one bagpipe band, it may as well be the Chilli Pipers, who have amassed over 4 million views on YouTube for their cover of Avicii's "Wake Me Up."

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Scientists successfully test killing robots. Sorry, cancer killing robots
    In a major advancement in nanomedicine, Arizona State University (ASU) scientists, in collaboration with researchers from the National Center for Nanoscience and Technology (NCNST), of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, have successfully programmed nanorobots to shrink tumors by cutting off their blood supply.

"We have developed the first fully autonomous, DNA robotic system for a very precise drug design and targeted cancer therapy," said Hao Yan, director of the ASU Biodesign Institute's Center for Molecular Design and Biomimetics and the Milton Glick Professor in the School of Molecular Sciences.

"Moreover, this technology is a strategy that can be used for many types of cancer, since all solid tumor-feeding blood vessels are essentially the same," said Yan.

The successful demonstration of the technology, the first-of-its-kind study in mammals utilizing breast cancer, melanoma, ovarian and lung cancer mouse models, was published in the journal Nature Biotechnology.

. . .

To perform their study, the scientists took advantage of a well-known mouse tumor model, where human cancer cells are injected into a mouse to induce aggressive tumor growth.

Once the tumor was growing, the nanorobots were deployed to come to the rescue.

Each nanorobot is made from a flat, rectangular DNA origami sheet, 90 nanometers by 60 nanometers in size. A key blood-clotting enzyme, called thrombin, is attached to the surface.

Thrombin can block tumor blood flow by clotting the blood within the vessels that feed tumor growth, causing a sort of tumor mini-heart attack, and leading to tumor tissue death.

First, an average of four thrombin molecules was attached to a flat DNA scaffold. Next, the flat sheet was folded in on itself like a sheet of paper into a circle to make a hollow tube.

They were injected with an IV into a mouse, then traveled throughout the bloodstream, homing in on the tumors.

The key to programming a nanorobot that only attacks a cancer cell was to include a special payload on its surface, called a DNA aptamer. The DNA aptamer could specifically target a protein, called nucleolin, that is made in high amounts only on the surface of tumor endothelial cells -- and not found on the surface of healthy cells.

Once bound to the tumor blood vessel surface, the nanorobot was programmed, like the notorious Trojan horse, to deliver its unsuspecting drug cargo in the very heart of the tumor, exposing an enzyme called thrombin that is key to blood clotting.

. . .

"The nanorobot proved to be safe and immunologically inert for use in normal mice and, also in Bama miniature pigs, showing no detectable changes in normal blood coagulation or cell morphology," said Yuliang Zhao, also a professor at NCNST and lead scientist of the international collaborative team.

Most importantly, there was no evidence of the nanorobots spreading into the brain where it could cause unwanted side effects, such as a stroke.

"The nanorobots are decidedly safe in the normal tissues of mice and large animals," said Guangjun Nie, another professor at the NCNST and a key member of the collaborative team.

The treatment blocked tumor blood supply and generated tumor tissue damage within 24 hours while having no effect on healthy tissues. After attacking tumors, most of the nanorobots were cleared and degraded from the body after 24 hours.

By two days, there was evidence of advanced thrombosis, and 3 days, thrombi in all tumor vessels were observed.

The key is to trigger thrombin only when it is inside tumor blood vessels. Also, in the melanoma mouse model, 3 out of 8 mice receiving the nanorobot therapy showed complete regression of the tumors. The median survival time more than doubled, extending from 20.5 to 45 days.

They also tried their system in a test of a primary mouse lung cancer model, which mimics the human clinical course of lung cancer patients. They showed shrinkage of tumor tissues after a 2-week treatment.

. . .

For Yan, the important study milestone represents the end of the beginning for nanomedicine.

"The thrombin delivery DNA nanorobot constitutes a major advance in the application of DNA nanotechnology for cancer therapy," said Yan. "In a melanoma mouse model, the nanorobot not only affected the primary tumor but also prevented the formation of metastasis, showing promising therapeutic potential."

Yan and his collaborators are now actively pursuing clinical partners to further develop this technology.

"I think we are much closer to real, practical medical applications of the technology," said Yan. "Combinations of different rationally designed nanorobots carrying various agents may help to accomplish the ultimate goal of cancer research: the eradication of solid tumors and vascularized metastases. Furthermore, the current strategy may be developed as a drug delivery platform for the treatment of other diseases by modification of the geometry of the nanostructures, the targeting groups and the loaded cargoes."

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Robot is programmed to kill cancer.

Robot deduces that Humanity is a form of cancer for the planet.

I mean come on. This is sci-fi 101. At least get us a few degrees of separation here.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Dutch minister resigns after lying about meeting with Putin

Gone right: He actually didn't attend the meeting.

Boy I'm sure glad I clicked on that link to get more info, what an informative and versed article
    6c8pxiqp9uiu.jpg
    lol

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Boy I'm sure glad I clicked on that link to get more info, what an informative and versed article
    6c8pxiqp9uiu.jpg
    lol

ThePartWhereHeKillsYou.jpg

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular

lol

At least the headline didn't lie.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options

lol

At least the headline didn't lie.

Pretty much the exact opposite of burying the lede.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Bad news: there was a different Star Trek: TNG pitch written back in the day.

Good news: it never saw the light of day.
    “Painfully beautiful, Joyce is still fighting with the timeless battle of trying to be taken seriously while looking as lovely as she does.”

https://trekmovie.com/2018/02/13/unearthed-original-star-trek-the-next-generation-pith-was-a-wildly-different-show/

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    There's actually some good stuff on there, like proto-Worf being a foreign attache. And some stuff that could actually have been good if they'd done it at the time before three series had 21 seasons to contradict it, like the emergency advise hologram.

But the larval form of Tasha Yar being an attention starved beauty queen puts a stake in the whole thing's heart.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    For sure. And TNG had it's share of awful (matriarchal tribal planet) too.

But just, man. Just to or that right in the pitch. Shows the writer's personal feelings on h the topic quite clearly.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Bad news: A Canadian couple lost their home in the Fort McMurray wildfire in 2016 and has been trying to rebuild.

Good news: Rebuilding will be a little easier now that the husband has won C$1million in the Atlantic Lottery.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    PROTIP: Don't try to avoid a traffic jam by driving in the sand:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Bad news: there was a different Star Trek: TNG pitch written back in the day.

Good news: it never saw the light of day.
    “Painfully beautiful, Joyce is still fighting with the timeless battle of trying to be taken seriously while looking as lovely as she does.”

https://trekmovie.com/2018/02/13/unearthed-original-star-trek-the-next-generation-pith-was-a-wildly-different-show/
    Hevach wrote: »
    There's actually some good stuff on there, like proto-Worf being a foreign attache. And some stuff that could actually have been good if they'd done it at the time before three series had 21 seasons to contradict it, like the emergency advise hologram.

But the larval form of Tasha Yar being an attention starved beauty queen puts a stake in the whole thing's heart.

That's ... that's not how the pitch describes her though. She's not an "attention starved beauty queen". She's a very competent officer who is constantly fighting being underestimated because her looks make people assume she's nothing more then a pretty face. This is, like, both not at all strange and not insulting to the character.

Not seeing the issue here.

shryke on
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018

And for bonus good “news”

bad7eqcgdy7x.jpeg

caligynefob on
    PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    PROTIP: Don't try to avoid a traffic jam by driving in the sand:

I've actually driven my truck through there. Slover turns into a dirt road between Pepper and Riverside, and there is a big patch of blowsand between Slover and the freeway. I don't think it sees much traffic aside from the rock haulers at the quarry.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular

You dirty dirty goose...I can't be laughing this hard at work, I'll get in trouble!

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Bad News: This shit was just proposed to the South Carolina legislature. The TL/DR is that it defines "marriage" as the secular union between a man and a woman, and all other unions as "parody marriage". Parody marriages are founded on the tenets of the religion of Secular Humanism, and therefore barred from state recognition by the Establisment Clause.

The good news is that every single one of the geese who sponsored this bill is up for reelection this year.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    How Milo thought representing himself in court was going to go:

3v4suv0o5jny.jpg
    qw25vk7bsaqy.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YUnOHihAU0

How Milo representing himself in court actually went:

n6wm1ggvy0lf.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    In "reality is now wearing the corpse of satire" news, a Trump-themed dating site was forced to look for a new promotional couple when the man in the original photo was revealed to have been convicted of having sex with a minor.

I...don't know what to say.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    "Simply the best people."

sig.gif
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    In "reality is now wearing the corpse of satire" news, a Trump-themed dating site was forced to look for a new promotional couple when the man in the original photo was revealed to have been convicted of having sex with a minor.

I...don't know what to say.

It gets even better if you follow the sources of this copy/paste article (Seriously, this same article with exact same wording is on 5 different news sites I looked at. Stop being so fucking lazy journalists!) The actual WRAL article goes into more http://www.wral.com/nc-couple-pitching-trump-dating-site/17354987/

Apparently they were looking into the "Only allows straight people, but welcomes open relationships" scandal the dating site was in, and well, this
    Barrett Riddleberger said in a text message Monday that the marital status issue was a mistake and was being fixed by a programmer. Just what role he and his wife have in the site is unclear. He offered to discuss the site with WRAL News, but only if the station promised to write about "the present, not the past."

WRAL News would not agree to that. Riddleberger's past includes a felony conviction for taking indecent liberties with a child in in 1995. The charge stemmed from his videotaping himself having sex with a 15-year-old girl when he was 25, the Greensboro News & Record reported in 2014.

A North Carolina criminal history check Monday turned up no serious charges on Riddleberger's record since then. He said he's been married for 22 years.

"I've already paid my debt for something I did 25 years ago," he said.

So, of course they went digging and found this article http://www.greensboro.com/news/settlement-expected-in-defamation-suit/article_03038fb6-db7f-11e3-9917-001a4bcf6878.html

Basically, a satirical blogger made fun of a conservative group whose co-founder is Mrs. Riddleberger. The blogger pointed out, among other things, that the co-founder's husband is a convicted sex offender, so the conservative group sued for defamation, got their shit kicked in, and in the process revealed that the satirical blog post was in fact true.

Money quote
    “Jeff Martin’s style is parody. It’s satire,” Vaughan [Greensboro NC Mayor] said. “Sometimes it’s very funny. Sometimes it’s not. But people didn’t take the things he wrote seriously. This group is only hurting itself with this lawsuit. It’s very ill-advised, just silly really.”

Edit: However, the WRAL article does point out that he hasn't done anything since that conviction, and on a personal level I feel the way we do actually punish offenders, and especially sex offenders, long after their punishment ended is terrible. I'd really like to know what his punishment was, and even the circumstances of what happened, before I push any judgement on Riddleberger myself regarding the sex conviction. He's shown himself to be a terrible guy in other ways, especially regarding his politics, so focusing on this really does seem well beyond what's necessary. On the other hand, all is fair in love and war and politics, but then again what kind of democrat would I be if I actually remembered that?

Veevee on
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Milos tumble back down the media ladder continues:

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Just running with the fact that reality is weird: Paul Eiding, voice of Colonel Campbell, does a dramatic reading of part of the Mueller indictment against 13 Russians:

https://youtu.be/ES_dHXMhOHU

Steam Profile
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Milos tumble back down the media ladder continues:

*Milos on InfoWars*

Any chance on him hawking Tactical Taint Wipes?!

(semi-NSFW)

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Bad news: An anti-women, homophobic, anti-Semitic preacher has risen in popularity, influencing current and past US Presidents.

Good news: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/02/21/billy-graham-americas-pastor-has-died/858017001/

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Fire Fighters Help Remove Nuts Stuck In Wrench
    Firefighters have issued a tongue-in-cheek safety warning after being called to a hospital to free a man who had trapped his genitals in a ring spanner.

The crew was called to the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport, south Wales, to assist the red-faced individual.

They had to use cutting equipment to remove the spanner.

South Wales Fire Service later tweeted: "If you're using tools, make sure you're handling as the manufacturer recommends."

The incident happened at just after 09:00 GMT on Wednesday when a team went to the city's A&E department.

The fire and rescue service added: "Crews from Maindee and Malpas had to release a steel ring spanner from a man who took tightening nuts to a new level earlier…"

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Wauconda, Illinois receives requests for Vibranium
    A village in Illinois has started to get some love from fans of Black Panther.

Pronounced the same way as the fictional African nation of Wakanda — the backdrop of the blockbuster Marvel film — Wauconda has already received a request for vibranium (a fictional metal known for being the strongest of any others).

Alise Homola, executive assistant to the village administrator and mayor, told Heat Vision that since the Chadwick Boseman-starrer opened last weekend, she has received communications from fans via calls and email.

"At first, I was like, is there a full moon out?" said Homola, who is aware of the Black Panther film, but knows nothing of the plot.

Wauconda is a village in Lake County, Ill., with a population of around 13,758, according to the United States Census Bureau. In the superhero film, Wakanda is a fictional East African nation with vast advanced technologies, hidden from the rest of the world and home to the king and protector, the Black Panther.

Admittedly not much of a superhero film buff, Homola said she was taken aback by the request for vibranium and another unusual phone call she received.

"Someone called and asked how we pronounced the village name and when I told him, he began yelling, 'Wakanda forever!' which I am guessing is from the film," Homola said.

Wauconda High School Principal Dan Klett told Heat Vision the school's mascot would remain the bulldog despite an inquiry over it being changed to a black panther.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh, they should totally change it to a Black Panther.

Just lean right into it.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Or lean into it in the dumbest way you can and just have your mascot be Chadwick Boseman.

Not like, as the character or anything.

Just the Wauconda High School Chadwick Bosemans

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Indiana soon to be very slightly less regressive. Or at least it will be easier for it's residents to go buy booze the next time the state does something stupid.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Just lean right into it.

Bulldogs are just the most massively overdone sports mascot, and I don't know why. Like, tigers are used a lot too, but tigers are very large and fierce apex predators that are totally capable of killing a human if they want to. If a bulldog tried to attack someone they'd be more likely to go into cardiac arrest from the exertion than cause any harm. A panther, black or not, would automatically be a better mascot.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I drive through Wauconda 2-4 times each month going to and from my in-laws' house. It's, uh, not a community that is likely to embrace the Black Panther connection.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »

Just lean right into it.

Bulldogs are just the most massively overdone sports mascot, and I don't know why. Like, tigers are used a lot too, but tigers are very large and fierce apex predators that are totally capable of killing a human if they want to. If a bulldog tried to attack someone they'd be more likely to go into cardiac arrest from the exertion than cause any harm. A panther, black or not, would automatically be a better mascot.

Like a lot of dog breeds, bulldogs weren't quite as malformed as a breed back not too long ago. They used to be used in one of Europe's many weird ways of harming animals for entertainment which involved wrestling bulls and were likely a lot tougher back then. The result was a reputation for resilience and toughness.

A panther would be a better mascot though. A black panther not so much since they don't actually exist. A melanistic jaguar would also be good and scientifically accurate but somehow doesn't roll off the tongue.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Edit: Old as hell nmind

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

Just lean right into it.

Like a lot of dog breeds, bulldogs weren't quite as malformed as a breed back not too long ago. They used to be used in one of Europe's many weird ways of harming animals for entertainment which involved wrestling bulls and were likely a lot tougher back then. The result was a reputation for resilience and toughness.

A panther would be a better mascot though. A black panther not so much since they don't actually exist. A melanistic jaguar would also be good and scientifically accurate but somehow doesn't roll off the tongue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_panther

Yeah, that's literally what a black panther is. Jaguar or leopard with melanism.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    This one's for @Desktop Hippie - a blog celebrating one man's war with the Irish postal system.

(Well, he does get a bit of unexpected support here and there.)