As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] [new Ahri skin to fund the year] / [cervitaur dating sim activated]

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Malphite wasn't even on the shortlist that Reav3 posted. Not that that's an official list, but he did say it's generally the champions they talk about most.

(The shortlist after Irelia & Akali according to Reav3): Cho'Gath, Corki, Fiddle, Kayle, Kennen, Kog, Morde, Mundo, Nocturne, Nunu, Panth, Rammus, Shaco, Skarner, Udyr, Voli

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Of note it's interesting from a design perspective to see how problematic some champs have been on a conceptual level, needing to be remade multiple times. On that shortlist, Fiddle and Kayle have already gone through a rework and Skarner and Morde would both be in for rework number 3!

Edit: Also just for fun, here are the Champions that have been in the game since launch that have never been significantly reworked (according to Riot's own Champion Update page) and aren't on the shortlist:

Amumu
    Anivia
    Annie
    Ashe
    Blitzcrank
    Janna
    Karthus
    Malphite
    Morgana
    Nasus
    Singed
    Teemo
    Twisted Fate
    Veigar

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Yeah, Malphite's not on the list. Strange because if we go by Riot's metrics, he's THE champion who jumps out to me as lacking in every areas.
    Of note it's interesting from a design perspective to see how problematic some champs have been on a conceptual level, needing to be remade multiple times. On that shortlist, Fiddle and Kayle have already gone through a rework and Skarner and Morde would both be in for rework number 3!

Hence why they'll probably be remade from the ground up this time instead of getting one or two ability changes. In a way, Riot learned a LOT since originally designing and remaking these champions.

(Also I'm pretty sure Ashe was remade once - originally her frost arrows were on her Q and not her passive. Not sure why the update page doesn't show her.)

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    I think Ashe got changed when they did the marksman update.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I did another game as Leona that started strong and ended in a loss. I think it's me. At some point despite being 3/0/7 I got 5 levels behind their Viegar, and he started rolling us. I was having some latency issues myself, but I also think that I just don't know what to do during team fights. I pretty much tried to W then E and land a hit on something squishy, then follow it with a Q and an R to keep them stun locked. I don't know if my team was capitalizing on that or not: it was really tough for me to even keep track of that much. I do know that once we started teamfighting I died a lot, and I think that eventually led to us getting rolled even though we started with a 15 kill lead and ended with a 5 kill lead.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Generally you use R to engage and then follow up since you can catch them that way. E-Q-R works as well, but R is super long range.

You do need to see how deep you're going. If you're jumping past 4 champs to get to the back line, your team cannot possibly follow up.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    imo certainlyt is a really good designer, but designs characters that the development team are relatively poor at balancing

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    imo certainlyt is a really good designer, but designs characters that the development team are relatively poor at balancing

Really, he just needs whoever hamstrung him on the Warwick redesign to have veto power on aspects of his champions. "No, Kalista doesn't need four new mechanics in her kit" would've helped so much.

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    TSM/GG
    GG is by far the worst team in the LCS but it's so good to see something approaching vintage TSM back

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    TSM/GG
    GG is by far the worst team in the LCS but it's so good to see something approaching vintage TSM back
    Hella interested in seeing what happened with LCDC and if GGS can pull off the perfect season. Also woo MikeYeung is good again.

Alternate GGS joke:
    I got you Deft and Mata for the digital sports team, boss! </notMyJob>

• Options
    Pushed up to Gold II today. Not sure that I'll actually have a lot of time for League over the next week or so, but it seems that the mission incentive to get me playing Ranked early has worked.

Me elsewhere:
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Darius was the first champion he created. Darius had no way of killing Draven, who was developed at the same time, so they threw a bunch of extra stats and damage on him.

And then we had release state Darius.

butts
  • Options
    Played a pair of games this morning, both losses, but still fun in their own unique ways. There was a toxic Yasuo player on our team that started shitting on everyone early. So we started joking around about how he was literally full of hot air. I reported him, and I think most of the rest of the team did too because it was validated almost immediately. The next game I played against him, as Garen this time, and late in the game he just started wrecking us. I know now that late game Yasuo is a monster, and I tried building tanky to counter that but I wonder if I could have built as damage instead since he was the villian fairly often and the rest of the team wasn't really a threat. I actually was winning my lane pretty well having 3 levels and more kills on my guy, and I would have really snowballed it if I had been able to start 1v1 instead of 1v2 like I did. Still, I had fun, and when he popped into /all chat to make fun of me I did get to say "Yeah, but I still killed you."

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Played a pair of games this morning, both losses, but still fun in their own unique ways. There was a toxic Yasuo player on our team that started shitting on everyone early. So we started joking around about how he was literally full of hot air. I reported him, and I think most of the rest of the team did too because it was validated almost immediately. The next game I played against him, as Garen this time, and late in the game he just started wrecking us. I know now that late game Yasuo is a monster, and I tried building tanky to counter that but I wonder if I could have built as damage instead since he was the villian fairly often and the rest of the team wasn't really a threat. I actually was winning my lane pretty well having 3 levels and more kills on my guy, and I would have really snowballed it if I had been able to start 1v1 instead of 1v2 like I did. Still, I had fun, and when he popped into /all chat to make fun of me I did get to say "Yeah, but I still killed you."

As Garen, Black Cleaver always, then a tank item and warmogs, then if you're stupidly ahead and they are full of squishies Infinity Edge is good times. Your spin crits.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

Nah, the dudes main design philosophy seems to be just loading in a multitude of mechanics in a way that's cool and flashy and lets you feel big outplays but is actually super frustrating to play against or who tend to be oppressive.

Like, Yasuo's entire design doc might as well be 'melee ADC/assassin's don't work in midlane. So how much crap do we need to pile on before that no longer applies?'

EDIT: Which is to say that the reason most of his designs are fun have less to do with being concise, well designed kits so much as putting a lot of visible power at people's finger tips combined with something zaney and new.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Today my husband and I played a delightful ARAM

Leona (me), Kayle (him), Gnar, Soraka, Shaco into Draven, Ashe, Maokai, Katarina, Bard

I assumed we would 100% lose but we showed incredible coordination for a team for presumably bronze-gold elo bads, and only engaged when Mega Gnar ult was available and used all our skills in perfect synergy. Really cool to see a team come together that way.

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/22319105/sources-golden-guardians-fired-locodoco-inappropriate-remark
    The Golden Guardians dismissed head coach Choi "Locodoco" Yoon-seop on Friday after an inappropriate remark the coach made to a female member of Riot Games' esports staff, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.

Choi took part in an interview with Riot Games that would be played during the North American League of Legends Championship Series livestream. Before this interview, he made a comment -- which both his team and Riot deemed unsuitable -- off-camera, which was a violation of the Golden State Warriors' strict zero tolerance policy, sources said. The Warriors, parent company of the Guardians, fired the coach on Friday. The Warriors told ESPN they do not comment on these types of personnel matters.

LUL. Loco really let loose, huh?

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Maybe I should stop playing this game.

I suck and it's depressing.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

Everyone is trash. Don't let it get you down.

Me elsewhere:
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Ivellius wrote: »

Everyone is trash. Don't let it get you down.
    I mean...the other team clearly isn't trash judging by our losing streak. :P

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    having played her since she's free it is my opinion that Fiora is wasted in the top lane.

holy shit she's such a powerful mid pick if you switch up her build a little bit.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    having played her since she's free it is my opinion that Fiora is wasted in the top lane.

holy shit she's such a powerful mid pick if you switch up her build a little bit.

she is a little stronger against high health duders, so she's going to give a little more oomph in top lane

also mid is usually your biggest source of magic damage. top can have an ap carry in it, but it's a little less appropriate. if you just don't have an ap carry, then it just makes your team a little easier to itemize against.

it's certainly not the worst pick, and i am sorely tempted sometimes

panth is another ad champ that is fucking rad in mid lane.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

she is a little stronger against high health duders, so she's going to give a little more oomph in top lane

also mid is usually your biggest source of magic damage. top can have an ap carry in it, but it's a little less appropriate. if you just don't have an ap carry, then it just makes your team a little easier to itemize against.

You're not wrong and those are all good points, but I'm not looking at her item builds so much as her abilities and how they're basically the perfect assassin kit. Her build gives her sustain and some beefyness but it's her abilities that are the real winner for me.

She's got a q that she can use to initiate or escape with, and you don't even need to target anything with it. Her W is a counter to like 95% of the abilities in the game if you nail it and her E is basically Akali's passive on a cooldown only without the free sustain (but items help with that)

and her R is probably one of the most useful teamfight tools in the entire game and lets you chew down tanks in seconds if you nail her combo while also healing you -and- your team.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Re: Annie rework

I'm sick and tired of Riot changing all the lore.
    I come back after three years and all the cool champs have turned retarded!

Rengar goes from lovable scamp to parricidal klingon.
    Vayne goes from totally-batman to psychopathic murderhobo.
    Ahri goes from spirit-learning-to-be-mortal and best bros with leona to borderline soul vampire.
    Lux .. is still lux, I spose, they retconned that DUMB EZ-SHIP out, but they changed to VO, now she sounds like a valley-girl and the bush-laser joke is gone!

*angrily shakes fist*

Wait wasn't Rengar always a furry Klingon? I thought that was the whole thing with him and Kaz'zix from day 1

• Options
  • Options

You're not wrong and those are all good points, but I'm not looking at her item builds so much as her abilities and how they're basically the perfect assassin kit. Her build gives her sustain and some beefyness but it's her abilities that are the real winner for me.

She's got a q that she can use to initiate or escape with, and you don't even need to target anything with it. Her W is a counter to like 95% of the abilities in the game if you nail it and her E is basically Akali's passive on a cooldown only without the free sustain (but items help with that)

and her R is probably one of the most useful teamfight tools in the entire game and lets you chew down tanks in seconds if you nail her combo while also healing you -and- your team.

Problem is mid lane doesn't have the room for her to run people down and she can be harassed from range. She's not tanky enough in 5v5 teamfights.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/jcDYQBjjbOQ

One more skin meme dies

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Getting back into seriously playing League instead of following the esports scene and new releases:

Playing Taric, missing stuns, mishanding W all the time, incoherently warding, feeling impotent in the grand scheme of things and getting overall carried hard by a Zed prodigy?

S- and a chest. Good to see the ranking system hasn't changed one bit.

• Options
    So Lunar Festival started today. I'm not sure I follow exactly how to maximize my holiday currencies or what I can reasonably expect, but I do like the new Lux skin...

I've been watching a lot of youtube videos for guides. The Glacierr and FSat for Garen specifically, FoxdropLoL for general tips, and I'm sure a lot of others. I see a lot of advice on how to capitalize when you're ahead, but I don't see a lot in the way of what to do when you're behind. My guess is that you should ward, farm, and build defensively (if able), but how does one do that if you're playing a support tank like Leona? The farming I mean, not the warding. Is that even an option, or do I still try to make plays and initiate with my strongest damage partner?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Farming is just going to take money away from your carries who are already behind. They need that farm to get back into the game.

Support can kinda stink sometimes if your team's bad, because there might not be a lot you can do.

Just protect your carries with disengage, keep your wards up, and hope that either you can catch someone out of position or that your carries outscale theirs.

• Options

All of that is true. I'm not saying she is bad mid, far from it.

But her passive does % damage, which is why she can burst down tanks, especially once she's got some armor piercing. Also she's really good in toe to toe fights, where you have to beat someone down.

If you took her mid against a mage, she would be in trouble because they wont fight her toe to toe, and her q isn't quite long enough range to close the gap on a lot of them. Her biggest worth mid would be against assassins I think. Parry some huge burst, and then cut them up, because they want to fight. Against a long range mage she would probably get harassed into non-existence.

even still, of the off meta champs for mid, Fiora, Panth and Rumble are my favs

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Irelia mid is actually pretty good. No one expects you to be in their face and with sheen she has enough burst to one shot any mage post-6. And like most bruisers, she shits on most assassins.

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Irelia mid is actually pretty good. No one expects you to be in their face and with sheen she has enough burst to one shot any mage post-6. And like most bruisers, she shits on most assassins.

i've never thought of this, and now i have nightmares.

everything i hate about laning against an assassin but also a stun that will literally always be up because Irelia.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

i've never thought of this, and now i have nightmares.

everything i hate about laning against an assassin but also a stun that will literally always be up because Irelia.

The biggest downside is the lack of safe waveclear, but I mostly play assassins mid if I'm not playing Irelia and they have similar issues (except maybe Zed I guess).

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

When I used to play mid more often a season or two ago it was my go-to hilariously strong counter to Azir. And Azir is coming back into resurgence now...

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

Going back to season one with xin zhao and Irelia mid?

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Riot, you rat bastards.

Putting a Sona chroma in the event was just mean. I need to figure out how I'm going to farm for it.

Ended up cracking one of the Orbs since I had some RP sitting around, and got... a decent haul? Got a Gemstone, another Orb, and a Grab Bag that had a ton of skin shards in it. Dawnbringer Riven, Firecracker Jinx, and three Legacy skins for characters I don't really play.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Farming is just going to take money away from your carries who are already behind. They need that farm to get back into the game.

Support can kinda stink sometimes if your team's bad, because there might not be a lot you can do.

Just protect your carries with disengage, keep your wards up, and hope that either you can catch someone out of position or that your carries outscale theirs.
    Play a carry support and learn where you can take farm without people bitching (they're not there, later game in an untended lane) and just gib people because you're Brand and that's what you do best.

butts
  • Options
    Jookie wrote: »

Play a carry support and learn where you can take farm without people bitching (they're not there, later game in an untended lane) and just gib people because you're Brand and that's what you do best.

I love playing Brand support.

So what if I have all the kills, I am the carry now you dumb adc.

• Options
    Jookie wrote: »

I love playing Brand support.

So what if I have all the kills, I am the carry now you dumb adc.
    Zyra and Brand support are my pocket picks. I -can- still play Sona but it's been awhile since I picked her on purpose.

XNnw6Gk.jpg