As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm old, and I don't get Bitcoin [Cryptocurrency and society].

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Really, Razer, why?

*looks at stock price of the past few years*

Oh...

Getting pretty desperate I guess.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    That smells illegal

I feel like it's one of those cases where they wrote an EULA that would probably be thrown out of court but nobody is going to actually take them to court over it.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I like the FAQ:
    My antivirus has flagged the Razer cryptominer as a virus. Is it a virus?
    We use open source software to build our cryptominer. Our software is not a virus, and you can have your AV let it through.

They've likely just picked up open source cryptojacking malware from Github, and then asked your permission to run it.

Actual quotes:
    My antivirus software reports Razer SoftMiner as a virus. Is Razer SoftMiner a virus?
    Razer SoftMiner is not a virus or a malware - we use open source libraries to build Razer SoftMiner.

Do I need to whitelist the Razer SoftMiner App on my PC?
    This depends on whether the program is falsely flagged by antivirus, but we recommend doing it just in case. For step-by-step instructions, do check out our guide here on how to whitelist Razer SoftMiner on your system.

Links to an instruction PDF where you exclude the Razer folder from your AV scanning.
    You know, so that all the other not-malware has a safe spot to install to in future too.

discrider on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah it fits all the bills of a cryptomining middleware component so it's going to trigger antivirus, no questions.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    I like the FAQ:
    We use open source software to build our cryptominer. Our software is not a virus, and you can have your AV let it through.

They've likely just picked up open source cryptojacking malware from Github, and then asked your permission to run it.

Actual quotes:
    My antivirus software reports Razer SoftMiner as a virus. Is Razer SoftMiner a virus?
    Razer SoftMiner is not a virus or a malware - we use open source libraries to build Razer SoftMiner.

This depends on whether the program is falsely flagged by antivirus, but we recommend doing it just in case. For step-by-step instructions, do check out our guide here on how to whitelist Razer SoftMiner on your system.

Links to an instruction PDF where you exclude the Razer folder from your AV scanning.
    You know, so that all the other not-malware has a safe spot to install to in future too.

You'd be amazed how many people will let malware run on their computers, so long as you tell them "Hey, that's a false positive. It's cool."

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    If you aren't paying for your electricity (because you live in a college dorm, say), technically the coins aren't worth less than the electricity (to you). Still...ugh.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    yeah, i wouldn't really mind if they were compensating people with credits for doing useful math on their online store. No blockchain overhead, minimal cryptographic overhead just like tls, and do useful distibuted computing.

also, meaningfully informed consent

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Welp, that's basically ensured I will never buy another Razr device again. And I'll be double checking my installed software when I get home for them.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

So Razer has launched a scam to get people to mine for them and in exchange their miners will be compensated with worthless Razer bucks. The Razer bucks have a store value less than the cost of the electricity you used to mine for them and they expire in a year so you can't accumulate enough to get anything.

So is it mining tbitcoin or something, and they're compensating yiu with their own crypto, or is it doing something useful like modeling protein folding?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I think you know the answer to that.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Realistically it's something like Honeyminer that mines various cryptos depending on the relative difficulty and coin value

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

So Razer has launched a scam to get people to mine for them and in exchange their miners will be compensated with worthless Razer bucks. The Razer bucks have a store value less than the cost of the electricity you used to mine for them and they expire in a year so you can't accumulate enough to get anything.

So is it mining tbitcoin or something, and they're compensating yiu with their own crypto, or is it doing something useful like modeling protein folding?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahhahahahahhahaha

• Options

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahhahahahahhahaha

'Bitcoin is a way to use impossibly complex Su Dokus to convert coal into heroin by cooking the planet'

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

It mines crypto. They get the coins, you get funbux with an expiration date for their online store.

Hevach on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

It mines crypto. They get the coins, you get funbux with an expiration date for their online store.

Like a 19th century mine that pays workers in company scrip.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Also they missed that boat by, oh, 12 months.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    That's a good way to get me to not buy or recommend razer products

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    While putting the system under increased load, shortening its life expectancy.

So, likely requiring an earlier replacement than the user might have wanted otherwise, while trading that spent wear and tear/electricity on their own funbux with an expiry date.

Yeah, can't say I was a big Razer supporter in the past, but this puts me against ever snagging their products in the future.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I feel entirely vindicated now because I said their stuff reminded me of madcatz for things logitech and later corsair did better.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    The bright side is that if bitcoin keeps going the way it has been, this will end up a losing proposition for Razer too.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Honestly reading that article about the crypto cruise was painful. Like bad subject matter and I felt the reporter wanted to get herself over so much I just found myself in disbelief.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    I like the FAQ:

Actual quotes:

You'd be amazed how many people will let malware run on their computers, so long as you tell them "Hey, that's a false positive. It's cool."

I mean, it's not that amazing. It's pretty a obvious and compelling argument if you don't actually understand what is going on. It's like saying "don't let strangers into your home" and then going "but this guy is our official furnace repairman, so it's ok to let him in, even though he's a stranger". The mental model most people use for how computer stuff functions makes this kind of exception seem perfectly reasonable.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Honestly reading that article about the crypto cruise was painful. Like bad subject matter and I felt the reporter wanted to get herself over so much I just found myself in disbelief.

I would have enjoyed the article more if at every point it took the time to highlight that nothing that was bought/spent would accept crypto currency as a valid payment.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/12/ohio-congressman-we-can-fund-border-wall-with-wallcoin/

BWA HA HA HA HA

It's a convergence of bad ideas, all rolled into one!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    shryke wrote: »
    I mean, it's not that amazing. It's pretty a obvious and compelling argument if you don't actually understand what is going on. It's like saying "don't let strangers into your home" and then going "but this guy is our official furnace repairman, so it's ok to let him in, even though he's a stranger". The mental model most people use for how computer stuff functions makes this kind of exception seem perfectly reasonable.

obXKCD:
    heist.png

djmitchella on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/12/ohio-congressman-we-can-fund-border-wall-with-wallcoin/

BWA HA HA HA HA

I wish people would understand that currency is just a medium of exchange. Building the dumb fucking wall is a diversion of labor and resources that could go else where, like the hundreds of run down roads and bridges we have to fix. That is the real cost of building the wall, not currency we can magic out of thin air, but real labor and real concrete and fuel and machinery.

Using stolen or subsidized electricity to mine cryptocurrency is a fancy way to launder our planet's limited resources and environmental sinks into your own personal bank account.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

BWA HA HA HA HA

I wish people would understand that currency is just a medium of exchange. Building the dumb fucking wall is a diversion of labor and resources that could go else where, like the hundreds of run down roads and bridges we have to fix. That is the real cost of building the wall, not currency we can magic out of thin air, but real labor and real concrete and fuel and machinery.

Using stolen or subsidized electricity to mine cryptocurrency is a fancy way to launder our planet's limited resources and environmental sinks into your own personal bank account.

This sounds like an overly efficient interpretation to me.

Like, the electricity aspect of Bitcoin is...incidental? Like on a very fundamental level it's hard to explain just how useless the resultant "product" really is.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »

Like a 19th century mine that pays workers in company scrip.
    I'd be lying if I said I didn't have 16 Tons stuck in my head since this first dropped.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joo90ZWrUkU

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    This twitter bot is one of the more useful and hilarious ones:

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Bitcoin bros are so fucking insufferable.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

I guess when everyone else's money can actually be exchanged easily for goods and services, everyone looks "Well funded and coordinated".

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

Sham there is no regulatory or law enforcement entity that gives a shit if that's true.
    I don't understand why it wouldn't be the norm if there was a way the find profit in it.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It couldn't be that their fantastic new idea/tech is fundamentally flawed, no, of course not.

(and some people are finally waking up to the fact that they're selling fucking tulips, as it were.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Tulips were a much better investment, long-term. Tourists still visit Holland to see the beautiful fields of tulips.

• Options
    Tulips were a much better investment, long-term. Tourists still visit Holland to see the beautiful fields of tulips.

So you're saying we should make all the burned out video cards into an RGB tourist attraction?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I mean I'm perfectly willing to gamble on former crypto-mining graphics cards. But I'm going to be doing it while asking for a steep-discount from people's liquidation sales...

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Yes, but here's the thing - turns out that, unknown to the science of the time, the fanciest and most prized breeds were that way because of a virus that infected the bulbs and caused their petals to be striped with multiple colors. That same virus weakened the plants, so that those same rare breeds were sickly and soon died out. Today, most of them exist only as illustrations - images of a brief glory made possible by the same flaw, grafted into its genetic code, that doomed it to extinction.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    While putting the system under increased load, shortening its life expectancy.

So, likely requiring an earlier replacement than the user might have wanted otherwise, while trading that spent wear and tear/electricity on their own funbux with an expiry date.

Yeah, can't say I was a big Razer supporter in the past, but this puts me against ever snagging their products in the future.

I mean, Razer isn't selling the stuff that's getting wear and tear from this program. It's not a clicker that's going to wear down your mouse.

Still super shitty.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Yea, Razer's mice wear down and break early all on their own without any help from mining programs.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Yea, Razer's mice wear down and break early all on their own without any help from mining programs.

Ok sure but they have pointy bits and as we all know point bits mean they're better for gaming

It's kind of like how overpaying for an uncomfortable racecar chair means you're a real gamer

This discussion has been closed.