As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sea of Thieves] PvP Pirate Simulator

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Is there any pre-order incentive? This seems like potential discord/wang fun times.

Closed beta access (going on right now) and some Edgy Black Clothing.

My first experience:
    Echo wrote: »
    So I'm playing Sea of Thieves and
    I found a "Chest of Sorrow" that started crying when I put it on my ship and halfway back I discovered my ship was full of water and I sank before I could drain it.

GOTY 2018

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    This is supposedly a play anywhere game, meaning I can play it on my Xbox or PC.

Does that also mean I can play it on both at the same time? I kind of want to play this with my daughter, so without splitscreen that means we gotta be on two different machines. But I'm assuming that since she piggybacks off my Xbox Live Gold (despite having her own gamertag) that probably wont be possible.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    This is supposedly a play anywhere game, meaning I can play it on my Xbox or PC.

Does that also mean I can play it on both at the same time? I kind of want to play this with my daughter, so without splitscreen that means we gotta be on two different machines. But I'm assuming that since she piggybacks off my Xbox Live Gold (despite having her own gamertag) that probably wont be possible.

I think this actually might work. The xbox is your primary console and you have gold and own the game, so she can play your games on her account, but you can also log into your account and play the game on PC.
    I know people have done similar things with the game sharing stuff and multiple consoles, I assume it will work similarly.

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    ObiFett wrote: »

According to this, it sounds like no, but I dunno if it's different if you're using two separate gamertags.

Some people on Reddit are saying it will work with two different gamertags.

Surfpossum on
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    There, now I've been murdered by some random shits who did a sail-by while I was diving down to a shipwreck. :+1:

While most of the streams I watched had people getting treasure and occasionally getting into sea battles, a percentage of them had some people just running around and sinking boars that were moored as their crew were exploring the island.

There doesn't seem to be anything defense against that, and I'm guessing that type of behavior is going to increase as people get bored of the treasure hunting.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    Mortious wrote: »
    There, now I've been murdered by some random shits who did a sail-by while I was diving down to a shipwreck. :+1:

While most of the streams I watched had people getting treasure and occasionally getting into sea battles, a percentage of them had some people just running around and sinking boars that were moored as their crew were exploring the island.

There doesn't seem to be anything defense against that, and I'm guessing that type of behavior is going to increase as people get bored of the treasure hunting.

You're supposed to leave someone on the boat to defend it and let people know if other pirates are coming! Preferably with cannons pointed outwards.

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

You're supposed to leave someone on the boat to defend it and let people know if other pirates are coming! Preferably with cannons pointed outwards.

...with the understanding that this person WILL be drunk the entire time they're serving as lookout.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Hooray, I was able to get in! I set sail on my own in one of the two person sloops, and it feels great. Everything is very smooth, and it's extremely satisfying to plot a course, muck around with sails, bail out the water when you crash into a giant boulder while examining the map, etc.

Time to set sail on voyage number two!

Does this actually pose a threat instead of an inconvenience? If you've got a bunch of chests stacked up then you can lose those, but it's possible to go turn them in one at a time on multi-part voyages. Which is what I did on the three-chest voyage I just went on; got the first two chests, had something fire at me on my way to the third, skedaddled back to an outpost to sell off the two I had.

I am v pleased with how this game plays; I kind of wish there was a solo campaign mode or something, since it's delightful to just sail around.

So when I finally got another chance to play this (the servers were crushed by enthusiasm after the maintenance) my girlfriend was able to join in as well. Much piratical bantering was had, and I do believe there be many multitudes more sharks when not playing solo.

We also saw two galleons get in a fight off the coast of where we were rushing to turn our very first chest in; we got the gold and then stood on the dock playing music at them.

A+ time already starting another session.

• LindLind Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    This game looks fun but OMG at the price...(pc version)

Lind on
    Lind wrote: »
    This game looks fun but OMG at the price...(pc version)
    Yeah, I was okay with it because I love throwing money at things that seem to be made with love, but it is a pretty hefty price compared to... nearly every other multiplayer game these days. However, it's gonna be available through Microsoft's $10 a month Netflix type thing, so that's one alternative.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    This game looks fun and has been on my radar for a bit.

However, I’d LOVE something more akin to a modern MMO with many of the mechanics of Pirates of the Burning Sea.

Any of y’all play that back in the day? Different nations could capture ports. Or you could be a pirate and just try and mess with people. Good times.

camo_sig2.png
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular

At the very least, you could leave a man behind to be on lookout/be the getaway sailor.

76561197966849367.png
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    With the controls and how things work that won't make much of a difference, he can lookout and look as the boat sinks that's about it

Without a risk reward system like dark souls there's really no reason to carry lots of chests because all it does is save you return trips, which are way less of a hassle long term than losing like 15 chests after 4 hours of gameplay

Right now there's simply no reason to hoard chests, it's far too risky for basically no extra reward

I find that somewhere around 4-5 chests is where I start feeling like we need to stop back at an outpost, unless an outpost is just right next to us then we might go back sooner.

I'm not sure what Prohass means by "With the controls and how things work that won't make much of a difference"
    Your lookout calls to the rest of the team, they rush back to the boat. Generally the crows nest has a pretty good sight range unless you get a particularly tall island so it's unlikely people can sneak up on you. If your crew doesn't make it back in time you can man the cannon and lob shells at them, and can potentially turn the boat if need be, but that is a trickier without hitting the island because I'm bad.

FWIW, on the all pub group I played with yesterday, there was usually at least one guy on the boat all the time keeping an eye out. There were a few close calls and one instance where we got into a little skirmish as we were leaving. But nothing that actually caught us off-guard

76561197966849367.png
    Did a bit more sailing around after taking the dogs on a walk, and had my first real PVP encounter. Another sloop started firing at me, so I just ran around doing repairs and playing the hurdy-gurdy in their general direction. One of them tried to board and then attack me while I was playing music, so I killed them. Then they left.

We ran into each other again at the outpost. They had at least three chests and were terrified, despite my insistent music playing. Eventually got into another fight out of self defense, killed them again, then they skedaddled, having deposited their loot.

Ran into them a third time on the final island of my voyage. They kept trying to snipe me but stopped after a few warning shots (to the head); I offered them a castaway chest that I had just dug up, but they felt it necessary to shoot me point blank with a blunderbuss before running off with it. They didn't notice the random Chest of Sorrows sitting under the end of the dock, though.

They did manage to wedge my ship in against the dock such that it was almost impossible for me to get out. By the time I managed it, I had taken enough damage that the Chest of Sorrows sank me while I was trying to repair, and I lost my ship. Learned a few important things, though:

1. Chests on the ship will remain floating once the ship sinks.
    2. If you use the mermaid while carrying a chest, you lose the chest (I believe it says so next to the prompt, but I activated it out of habit before reading).

I am super excited for the full launch, this game checks so many of my boxes.

• ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    1. Chests on the ship will remain floating once the ship sinks..
    While true, and more people need to realize this, eventually they sink. We raided a boat the other day and by the time we got back to the wreck I had to dive down quite a ways to get one, another just started sinking, and another chest or two were still floating.

Getting back to the wreck was half sail galleon around a rock or key so we’re talking a minute or two at most. Not sure how the game decide when to sink chests, if chest type matters, etc. Something to keep in mind though, I didn’t know that until yesterday.

On mobile so formatting may be bad. I think the only other games I’ve ever had this much fun in the overworld/world at large was GTA3, OoT, and JC2; the bones to build on with this game are so much fun. The amount of shenanigans you get into solo if playing smart, let alone if you wind up in a group of two or more with a pioneer to learn the ins and outs of people who’ve played for nearly a year, is some of the most fun I’ve ever had in a game period.

Right now my only real complaints are hit boxes for players and they probably need a queue dedicated to grouping solo sloopers with three other solo sloopers.

Overall I’m chalking the shady collision to beta lag rather than bullets and sword slashes not working right. Noticeable when it happened but not ever present, helped as much as it hurt too. Plus other interactions seemed to work fine, like your mast a ways below the sail on the sloop not having a hit box. Your charcater having one means as the mast sails through an archway your charcater is pushed out of the crows nest. Blowing powder kegs up in the crows nest doesn’t damage the ship since the explosion is not big enough to reach the deck or hull. And others, both against players and the world/server, all working fine.

The solo queue probably needs to be an option for those who want it. There’s times with the RNGness of the quest spawns if you’re solo in a sloop and the other three boats are anything but solo queued sloops you can be SOL the whole session. You’re constantly running at best, on the death ferry with no boat and no loot nonstop at worst. With properly crewed galleons not just being faster but even turning better than an averagely crewed sloop it can be annoying for an experienced solo player, let alone when you’re new. Being able to queue into a world where you know the other four boats are all solo sloops would help alleviate the bad sessions when you just need a break and into a session where you can blame your own mistakes, not being matched with three galleons. Wouldn’t touch the queue for groups of two or more other than letting people group for a galleon with three people to avoid the group of three auto brigging the fourth rando style griefing. Once people get some experience you can be very effective with two sailors even against an experienced group of four when you know how to play to strengths and weakness of crew size and each boat.

I was bummed about the Monster Hunter World PC release being so far away but getting more time to play this as the focus may be the best blessing in disguise.

• YallYall Registered User regular
    I tried to buy, but couldn't get past the "too early" nonsense (beta wasn't available to install on the box).

I guess I'll wait til March. :(

I hope this is one of those games that let you customize your character (ie, physical appearance, skin tones, facial hair, body type, gender, whatever) freely whenever you want to, because I'm kind of tired of games that let me make a character and then I look like that until the end of time unless I want to wipe all my progress and start over.

I ain't got time for that shit.

edited January 2018
    I just got murdered a bunch by some people in a galleon. They managed to ram my poor little boat as I was trying to get away; I caught them at the outpost when I respawned, but got murdered in under two seconds when both of them started swinging swords. It felt ridiculously fast even for two attackers.

I respawned on my boat, which is where they were, and unloaded a blunderbuss into the first one's chest, swung once, and then died to him swinging his cutlass. Again, way faster than it felt like it should be. Almost like a bunch of hits got stacked up and then unloaded at once due to lag or something.

After that they left, but holy moly I did not think you could die that fast to cutlasses.

Surfpossum on
    I just thought that it'd be really neat to have some sort of "blockade" at an outpost, but then remembered that this was an MMO and that the reality is that it'd be a big PITA...

76561197966849367.png
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    This game is super fun! They really need to extend this beta by a few days into early February, for all the people having issues getting in.
    I haven't had any problems myself until Saturday night, when it seems like the servers melted/went down and I couldn't get in.

Some screen-shots (cross posting from the screen-shots thread):
    EI4OZuu.jpg

qL1FE8H.jpg

VT9l1h0.jpg

Note to self: Do not leave this cursed chest unattended on your ship. It's crying can produce enough water to flood and sink your vessel.
    Which is kiiiiind of a problem when you have four other chests you need to load up, and the ship re-spawns two islands away; whilst you have to desperately hide, alone, from another attacking crew, whilst your crew mate valiantly goes and retrieves your ship.

sApJeWD.jpg

Also found this super-rare gold Captain's Chest during said shenanigans. Worth a lot of coin! :)

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Tonight I jumped onto an enemy galleon and stole a Captain's Chest. They hit a small island and bounced off but I jumped off and stayed there while my crew game to get me. We ended up stealing something like 12 chests. I love this game.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I wish there was a way to look at your controls/keybindings/settings outside of a game?

Like, trying to figure out how to get my mic working is a pain

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    edited January 2018
    The PC port is very poorly done. More weapons than their are 1-x keybinds, no indication (or rebindable) push-to-talk key, no borderless windowed mode... (That said, it runs really well, but boy can it use some QoL)

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Hey there, pirates. We’re on day 2 of our Closed Beta and we wanted to reach out to address a few things.
    First off, we’ve loved seeing the streams, videos, screenshots and messages from players. Seeing player content and reactions is the best reward for the work we’ve put into building Sea of Thieves!

However, we know that a number of you are still unable to get into the game to play. Our Community and Customer Support teams are working hard to keep you all updated with information as we get it, but we’re also taking what you’re telling us back to the other teams here at Rare.

Some players who pre-ordered the game digitally are seeing a “too early” message. We have been working with our partners across Xbox to get this resolved as smoothly and as quickly as possible. The fix for the issue began rolling out last night (UK time) and is unfortunately taking longer than anticipated to reach all affected players. We’re sorry that this is the case. We’ve set up a dedicated article for this issue on our Support site.

We know your gaming hours are precious and our number one goal is to get everyone with Closed Beta access into the game as soon as possible. Whilst we work on making this happen, we’d like to announce that we’re extending the Sea of Thieves Closed Beta by two days. This means the Closed Beta will now end on Wednesday, January 31st at 8am GMT. We want to ensure that anyone who has missed out on any time sailing the seas still gets to enjoy the Closed Beta to its fullest.

We’ll also be extending the closing date of our Design an Achievement contest to coincide with the new end of the Closed Beta. We love what you’ve come up with so far!

We’ll continue to post all updates to our social media channels and the Forums. Not sure where to find us? You can get all the links below.

Ah, so they already extended the beta (by two days) to this Wednesday. Missed this article. Alrighty then. :)

Zilla360 on
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I'm torn, this has awesome pirate action written all over it, but all that hot pirate action is stuck in an online multiplayer setting that holds virtually zero interest for me.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    I don't feel that the PC port is poorly done but it's definitely in an incomplete state. For the most part it runs extremely well but it could certainly use a few menu improvements. There are lots of audio settings but I haven't been able to get in game chat working (Using wrong mic/speaker but no settings to change that I'm guessing) and yeah you can't number key between items. I'm guessing we're not actually supposed to be able to have a sword/pistol/rifle/blunderbuss all at the same time and that's messing up the normal controls but maybe I'm wrong.

Some gameplay I recorded whilst playing with some random match-made players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jiHsovJXSg

"Maaan Overboard!" Alright, grab a mermaid (teleport), seeya! :lol:

SniperGuy wrote: »
    I don't feel that the PC port is poorly done but it's definitely in an incomplete state. For the most part it runs extremely well but it could certainly use a few menu improvements. There are lots of audio settings but I haven't been able to get in game chat working (Using wrong mic/speaker but no settings to change that I'm guessing) and yeah you can't number key between items. I'm guessing we're not actually supposed to be able to have a sword/pistol/rifle/blunderbuss all at the same time and that's messing up the normal controls but maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah, the PC interface is pretty bare-bones so far. I have a super-sensitive free-scrolling scrollwheel and there's a keybind to cycle weapons that defaults to scroll up. There's no option to just unbind a key, you have to bind it to something else.

So I did that, but they also cycle weapons on scroll down and that's not even listed in the settings so I'm stuck with that.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Would anyone be interested in getting a crew together tonight?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I'm ready to play a sea shanty in your face instead of telling you where to sail or watching for other pirates.

I expect everyone to know the lyrics by launch day or else its the plank walkin' for the lot of you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiyEP02KNZw

by the way, im downloading it so I can at least catch some of the end of the beta

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    Apparently the map in the closed beta is the same map every time! I thought it would be randomized a bit in the full game?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seaofthieves/comments/7tpq33/sea_of_thieves_full_beta_map/

Spoiler'd for big.
    UENknOO.jpg

Huh, I totally thought it was randomized already. I am hoping it is randomized for the full game, as that would let them add more islands to the rotation.

@KetBra I'd be up for trying to sloop around sometime this evening, but will need to be eating dinner and suchlike. Gamertag is Surfpossum.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I'll be online tomorrow to play this for the last day. been watching youtubers play it and it looks really fun with them playing, but they know how to make a lot of stuff look fun.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    edited January 2018
    Whew, was on my way to an outpost when I saw a galleon and a sloop fighting each other. I was going to sneak past, then decided that us sloops gots to stick together and joined in.

I'd been stocking up on cannon balls all day, so I was just unloading non-stop every time I even thought I had a shot. At one point I saw somebody swimming toward me and prepared the welcome-aboard blunderbuss, but they started yelling, "I'm friendly I'm friendly." Suspicious, but ever the optimist, I let them on board.

We stared at each other for a few seconds, then he went over to man the cannon while I steered. When we neared the sloop, he hopped off to join his friend. Shortly after, a very portly pirate from the galleon attempted to board, and was met with a greeting from the welcome-aboard blunderbuss that knocked him back off and into the waiting jaws of the two sharks which were tailing him.

We successfully chased the galleon off, and I went bumbling off trying to find an outpost again.

(I'd had a captain's chest hidden in the Crow's nest the whole time, by the way.)

Finally made it to Plunder Outpost or whatever, and upon seeing no sails I rammed my ship onto the beach, only to hear voices. Turns out a (the?) galleon had parked on the other side of the island and was waiting for hapless sailors like myself.

They got me the first time, and I managed to take two of them with me when I respawned, but on my second respawn they'd skedaddled with the chest.

I sniped at their helmsman as they were getting ready to leave, which resulted in a short shootout before two of them swam over to engage in closer combat. I managed to take both of them out, all three of us swimming around underwater and scarfing bananas in between shots.

I felt this was a moral victory, and logged out.

Oh PS @Abdhyius I feel you may be interested in knowing that the Chest of a Thousand Grogs, in addition to making you drunk while carrying it, plays the tune to "Drunken Sailor." Not always accurately, mind, but rather drunkenly.

PPS Literally all of this happened after I was planning to log out; I noticed that I'd forgotten the second map of my voyage, it turned out to be a captain's chest, and everything above happened on my way back to an outpost, where I was planning to log out. This game.

Surfpossum on
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Saw a clip of a four player group with 100 chests on their ship today. That must have taken forever to turn in.