As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Booster back down on the droneship, Eh'Hail-2 safely in orbit (and just coasting until a second burn that will push it out to a geostationary transfer orbit), making it look easy once again, good job Falcon 9!

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    I do wonder how much of the idea for the low earth orbit constellation internet project was due to wanting better video through landing :)

• Options
    Aim wrote: »
    I do wonder how much of the idea for the low earth orbit constellation internet project was due to wanting better video through landing :)

Elon always has more than one reason he starts any project, so you might be on to something here :P

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    What was SES-1 and SES-2? I couldn't hear the stream.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    By the by, in case my dismissive town in the TOTP post isn't clear, so concludes my live coverage of today's launch

I'll double-check that everything went swimmingly in a couple hours, but for now I gotta go >_>

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    What was SES-1 and SES-2? I couldn't hear the stream.

Just their acronym for "second (stage) engine startup", for whatever reason

Not to be confused with the satellite fleet :P

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I just want to mention that you should watch First Man for nicely shot rocket starts with fantastic sound editing. The camera focuses mainly on the astronauts' perspective of the proceedings with lots of close ups of the cockpits and it can be really impressive. Also dear god those Gemini capsules look more steam and diesel punk than space age

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Edit - Damn it, NASA commented; this was a false-positive. Opportunity is still currently lost. :(

Opportunity is alive!
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/pa5pvb/mars-opportunity-rover-appears-to-send-data-to-earth-after-five-months-of-silence

It lost complete communication because of that planet-wide storm that hit Mars a while ago, but the storm started to subside over the last couple days. And this afternoon NASA registered a data link with Opportunity! It's going at 11 bytes per second so FUCK that is slow, but it's something for now!

Henroid on
  • Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    By the by, in case my dismissive town in the TOTP post isn't clear, so concludes my live coverage of today's launch

I'll double-check that everything went swimmingly in a couple hours, but for now I gotta go >_>

Satellite en route to its intended orbit, total mission success from SpaceX's point of view! :+1:

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Opportunity is alive!
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/pa5pvb/mars-opportunity-rover-appears-to-send-data-to-earth-after-five-months-of-silence

It lost complete communication because of that planet-wide storm that hit Mars a while ago, but the storm started to subside over the last couple days. And this afternoon NASA registered a data link with Opportunity! It's going at 11 bytes per second so FUCK that is slow, but it's something for now!

Cautiously optimistic OH MY GOD! :surprised:

• Options
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Nooooooooooooo that is actually really upsetting. :(

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Nooooooooooooo that is actually really upsetting. :(

I know the feeling, my friend :bro:

#OppyPhoneHome

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    There's only one proper conclusion here.

Mars has learned to mimic Opportunity's signal and will use it to lure in tasty astronauts for obvious devouring; NASA figured it out, but doesn't want the public to know so they can keep getting funded for Mars projects.

Shame on NASA for the CarniMarsiverous coverup!

• Options

Mars has learned to mimic Opportunity's signal and will use it to lure in tasty astronauts for obvious devouring; NASA figured it out, but doesn't want the public to know so they can keep getting funded for Mars projects.

Clearly this means we need to send more things to Mars, to know how to disarm its astronaut eating tendencies.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

“Update: we’ve confirmed a signal! The content is as follows:

BRAAAAAINSSSSS”

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Clearly this means we need to send more things to Mars, to know how to disarm its astronaut eating tendencies.

remakes-watching-slide-890Z-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
  • Options
    NASA released a new promo video today

Presented without further comment:

https://youtu.be/WeA7edXsU40

• Options
    I'm going to do a bit of a write-up tomorrow morning about Monday's impending Falcon 9 launch out of Vandenberg. There are a couple sneaky-significant things going on for this flight that space fans may well be aware of, but might otherwise fly under the radar!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I'm going to do a bit of a write-up tomorrow morning about Monday's impending Falcon 9 launch out of Vandenberg. There are a couple sneaky-significant things going on for this flight that space fans may well be aware of, but might otherwise fly under the radar!

But it's supposed to go into space!

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

But it's supposed to go into space!

Even on that front, this launch has chosen to disappoint me (for now!) :P

So, stay tuned for Falcon 9 and the SSO-A mission out of Vandenberg AFB :) I’ll share my thoughts and other interesting details about the flight once it’s back on the manifest and we’re closer to launch date, I promise! Early updates suggest the launch will have to slip until after American Thanksgiving and possibly out of November entirely, but I’ll keep y’all posted.

The next Delta Heavy launch, also out of Vandenberg and carrying NROL-71, may well beat it off the pad, as it is now tentatively scheduled for November 29th! But again, we shall see :wink:

Early yesterday morning (so early that I didn’t even briefly consider providing coverage of it), an Antares rocket launched out of Wallops Island carrying a Cygnus supply craft en route to the ISS.

Most firmly on the launch docket at the moment is the all-solid Vega launching out of Kourou in French Guyana, scheduled for 0142 UTC on November 21st - meaning it will take place on the 20th at 8:42pm Eastern, 5:42pm Pacific. :) That date coincides with a birthday in my family, so I am definitely not gonna be providing coverage - but I wish the Vega rocket and her payload all the best!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Well, isn’t it nice of them to light a candle for you and yours, @BeNarwhal !

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Well, isn’t it nice of them to light a candle for you and yours, BeNarwhal !

I wonder if the birthday celebrant in question is naive enough to believe me when I say I made it happen >_>

• Options
    InSight, the latest Martian probe that launched back in May atop an Atlas V, is now exactly one week from its planned landing on the Red Planet! :surprised:

InSight's job is to insert a probe deep into the Martian soil to measure temperature variations for some clues about the planet's formation, as well as placing a seismometer onto the surface a few feet away to check for active seismic / tectonic activity in our ancient neighbor :)

We wish you the best of luck with the most dangerous part of your mission, InSight: EDL - Entry, Descent, and Landing. We're getting better at this though, especially at NASA, and we're confident we've equipped you with everything you need to settle safely onto the Martian surface.

Godspeed, little robot!

• Options
    Also, maybe check up on your brother Opportunity if you get the chance. He's been really quiet recently.

• Options
    Also, maybe check up on your brother Opportunity if you get the chance. He's been really quiet recently.

InSight is sadly unable to move, so at most it can keep an ear open :P

But MRO might get a little upset about having someone butt in on its turf

Oooh, InSight IS landing fairly close to Curiosity ... no where near Opportunity, sadly!

vNYoM2i.jpg?1

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    InSight, the latest Martian probe that launched back in May atop an Atlas V, is now exactly one week from its planned landing on the Red Planet! :surprised:

InSight's job is to insert a probe deep into the Martian soil to measure temperature variations for some clues about the planet's formation, as well as placing a seismometer onto the surface a few feet away to check for active seismic / tectonic activity in our ancient neighbor :)

We wish you the best of luck with the most dangerous part of your mission, InSight: EDL - Entry, Descent, and Landing. We're getting better at this though, especially at NASA, and we're confident we've equipped you with everything you need to settle safely onto the Martian surface.

Godspeed, little robot!

Did they double and triple check to make sure they're not swapping imperial and metric measurements again?

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Oooh, InSight IS landing fairly close to Curiosity ... no where near Opportunity, sadly!

vNYoM2i.jpg?1

In distances measured in meters per hour, could Curiosity even make it that far before its RTGs give out?

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »

vNYoM2i.jpg?1

In distances measured in meters per hour, could Curiosity even make it that far before its RTGs give out?

To which - InSight, or Opportunity?

Actually either way the answer is almost certainly 'no' :P

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    We were looking at stars and the moon tonight in our telescope that we received from last year’s D&D Secret Santa (thanks again @AngelHedgie ) and my daughter was asking about the moon. So I was telling her the stuff I know off the top of my head. Told her how it was quite far away but not so far that no one hasn’t been there and back. So naturally she says she wants to go and I tell her that’s awesome, she’ll have to aim for being an astronaut and all that that entails. I tell her it helps to become a pilot so she knows how to fly. “Okay dad.”

A moment passes, looking at the moon.

“And I want to go past the moon. But I’ll have to shoot down all the asteroids in my way first.”

That’s my girl.

• Options
    25 years from now, standing on a captured asteroid in lunar orbit

"I know I'm not supposed to destroy it ... but that's always been the dream ..."

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Coming down from NASA itself, which is about as official a word as I recognize in the world of spaceflight, we have a set date for the demonstration mission for the Crew Dragon:

January 7th! Be here, or be elsewhere! You're a human being and your choices are your own! :D

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    Is that the Draco launcher test? Or is that supposed to happen earlier?

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Is that the Draco launcher test? Or is that supposed to happen earlier?

I'm not sure what's happened to the in-flight abort mission

I rarely see mention of it anymore!

But yeah my understanding is this is the full "uncrewed, into orbit, dock at the station" demonstration mission, so *shrugs*

Edit: Maybe between the pad abort and the various other demonstrations of the SuperDracos' capabilities, NASA has decided "Eh, good enough"? Who can say! :P

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    I was under the impression that the inflight abort was between DM-1 and the first crewed flight?

• Options
    Seal wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the inflight abort was between DM-1 and the first crewed flight?

Oh yeah, that may well be the case, you're right!

The schedule and order of operations has been moving around too much on this, but DM-1 = January 7th, we know that much at least :D

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    The wiki page which I guess should be reasonably accurate slates it as down for May, with manned flight in June

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Crew_Development#Flights

and then all being well, ISS flight in September, which is a really quick cadence imo

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Insight is supposed to land on Mars sometime on Monday.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Cool video of a Progress resupply mission launch as seen from the ISS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJy1u-N3NY0

This discussion has been closed.