Options

[Monster Hunter] world released. Suddenly one of the popular kids.

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Croaker wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    Holy shit guys, I finally found a kit to fight Kirin with that doesn't make me what to pull my hair out!

Full guard Jay Leno set with Fire gunlance. Fuck your lightning, horse. I'm gonna stand here and burn your face off!

My least favorite thing about the Hammer is how annoying it is to try and solo anything flying or with fast attacks - GL/Lance are gonna be my next attempts at seriously learning a weapon just because the play style is so different and I want to try staying glued to something.

Kirin was a pain in my add when I tried it SOS so I’ll be trying this for sure. Thanks for the idea!

Lance is a really good weapon to have in your pocket I've found. It's not flashy, and I'm still trying to adjust to the terrible mobility, but being able to stand and tank hits while throwing consistent DPS at a directed point is like, a solid solution to most of the trouble I've had

Not flashy? Jumping lance strikes are nice and flashy. And you can mount.

Yes, yes. Standard issue lance is pokea-pokea-pokea >GUARD< pokea-pokea-pokea >GUARD< is about the least flashy thing.

But if they give you any room? Time to fly.
    Not all insectglave crouching tiger hidden jaggress style- Like a heavy armor wearing oak hurled forth with his pointy stick at the ready. The insect glave is an attack chopper. The lance is an A10 warthog.

All the while you can parry like Daigo, and hit your power guard for the big stuff. Never ever having to leave the monster's grill area.

TLDR... i just love the lance is all. Dont sleep on it.

What a great comparison. I like the idea of the lance a lot but I worry that the more complex guard mechanics will elude me, especially while I still feel like lots of attacks aren’t easily read with the zoomed in melee camera. Once more Lance/GunLance videos come out I’ll probably spend more time with each.

What do you like for Lance armor/skills?

I've only just started using the lance and I really like it for a number of fights. The reach is great for hitting things that aren't legs. I honestly rarely use the mega guard, once you have 3 ranks in the Guard skill you can tank attacks like Nergigante's super dive and only lose like 3% of your life. A lot of the time I end up getting stuck under a monster's belly unable to really see anything but still able to poke the weak spots and just reflexively hitting guard as I see a leg twitch as a cue for an attack. Seriously whatever else you get skill wise guard is a must in, earplugs are nice but you can even block roars if you're quick.

Also when in doubt with that they are about to do just still there in guard. You may look like a fool guarding vs nothing loosing damage, but it's better then getting hit by a stun lock chain combo that will kill you at full health.

Edit: I forgot using the Recovery..Up? skill (increased red damage recovery time) on my charm just feels so right. "Oh hey that's a nice attack there, but I blocked 99% of it's damage and will have that all regenned in the next 5 seconds. What else you got?"

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Elendil wrote: »
    Holy shit guys, I finally found a kit to fight Kirin with that doesn't make me what to pull my hair out!

Full guard Jay Leno set with Fire gunlance. Fuck your lightning, horse. I'm gonna stand here and burn your face off!

My least favorite thing about the Hammer is how annoying it is to try and solo anything flying or with fast attacks - GL/Lance are gonna be my next attempts at seriously learning a weapon just because the play style is so different and I want to try staying glued to something.

Kirin was a pain in my add when I tried it SOS so I’ll be trying this for sure. Thanks for the idea!

Lance is a really good weapon to have in your pocket I've found. It's not flashy, and I'm still trying to adjust to the terrible mobility, but being able to stand and tank hits while throwing consistent DPS at a directed point is like, a solid solution to most of the trouble I've had

Not flashy? Jumping lance strikes are nice and flashy. And you can mount.

Yes, yes. Standard issue lance is pokea-pokea-pokea >GUARD< pokea-pokea-pokea >GUARD< is about the least flashy thing.

But if they give you any room? Time to fly.
    Not all insectglave crouching tiger hidden jaggress style- Like a heavy armor wearing oak hurled forth with his pointy stick at the ready. The insect glave is an attack chopper. The lance is an A10 warthog.

All the while you can parry like Daigo, and hit your power guard for the big stuff. Never ever having to leave the monster's grill area.

TLDR... i just love the lance is all. Dont sleep on it.

What a great comparison. I like the idea of the lance a lot but I worry that the more complex guard mechanics will elude me, especially while I still feel like lots of attacks aren’t easily read with the zoomed in melee camera. Once more Lance/GunLance videos come out I’ll probably spend more time with each.

What do you like for Lance armor/skills?

I've only just started using the lance and I really like it for a number of fights. The reach is great for hitting things that aren't legs. I honestly rarely use the mega guard, once you have 3 ranks in the Guard skill you can tank attacks like Nergigante's super dive and only lose like 3% of your life. A lot of the time I end up getting stuck under a monster's belly unable to really see anything but still able to poke the weak spots and just reflexively hitting guard as I see a leg twitch as a cue for an attack. Seriously whatever else you get skill wise guard is a must in, earplugs are nice but you can even block roars if you're quick.

Also when in doubt with that they are about to do just still there in guard. You may look like a fool guarding vs nothing loosing damage, but it's better then getting hit by a stun lock chain combo that will kill you at full health.

Edit: I forgot using the Recovery..Up? skill (increased red damage recovery time) on my charm just feels so right. "Oh hey that's a nice attack there, but I blocked 99% of it's damage and will have that all regenned in the next 5 seconds. What else you got?"

Only recommendation i have is

Guard 3 or better. I rock guard 5 from a charm(3) and the bazelchest piece (2 guard but there are multiple guard 2 items you can make Baan waist and the barroth hat both are cheap and have 2g.) generally don't lose health on block unless I'm not sharpened. Past that take what you want. I generally run armor with high slots for flexibility.

things that grant health, def and stamina help. Partbreaker Over affinity or attack- Your numbers arent going to grow, but part breaker when you are 1 - 2 -3 ing their tail/face over and over helps. I have flirted with the jump 2 gem, but i dont think it helps mounts just damage.

There is an EZ jump dmg/mount high end charm but that would mean i have to pick up 2-3 guard in armor.

With high enough guard you can face tank nerg's dive (normal guard) and just giggle. Watch your teammates scatter.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    The main reason I Power Guard isn't actually for the guard itself. It's because the counter thrust from the Power Guard is the Lance's *most* damaging single attack. I regularly hit over 100 with it.

I pretty much never try to regular guard anything, everything is a counter attack if I can manage the timing right. Guard Dash into triple poke if I'm far. Counter Thrust if I'm close. Power Guard + Counter Thrust if it's a big attack that will overpower regular counter thrust.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Dracil wrote: »
    The main reason I Power Guard isn't actually for the guard itself. It's because the counter thrust from the Power Guard is the Lance's *most* damaging single attack. I regularly hit over 100 with it. I pretty much never try to regular guard anything, everything is a counter attack if I can manage the timing right.

Yeah well- your margins for errors are smaller. Is it a double tap attack? Is it a combo? Is it a power walk? then your counter will get you hit vs just normal guard.

ie you block hit one, stick out the counter and eat hit 2

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    The main reason I Power Guard isn't actually for the guard itself. It's because the counter thrust from the Power Guard is the Lance's *most* damaging single attack. I regularly hit over 100 with it.

I pretty much never try to regular guard anything, everything is a counter attack if I can manage the timing right. Guard Dash into triple poke if I'm far. Counter Thrust if I'm close. Power Guard + Counter Thrust if it's a big attack that will overpower regular counter thrust.

I did not know that about power guard, cool.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    The main reason I Power Guard isn't actually for the guard itself. It's because the counter thrust from the Power Guard is the Lance's *most* damaging single attack. I regularly hit over 100 with it. I pretty much never try to regular guard anything, everything is a counter attack if I can manage the timing right.

Yeah well- your margins for errors are smaller. Is it a double tap attack? Is it a combo? Is it a power walk? then your counter will get you hit vs just normal guard.

All those attacks you just convert into Power Guard. When in doubt, I just press X till the attack is done then smash them for extra damage. Nergi dive bomb 4 hit combo? Power guard thrust into the face. Pressed the counter thrust too early? Press X and you've basically extended your counter duration for the length of your stamina bar. Trying to smash horns? Power Guard thrust.

Also, it's not consistent, but you'll notice a lot of monster attacks only hit once for the duration of the attack. So once you've countered/guarded the first hit, you're free to wail on them, even if it comes back around and passes over you. It's just one of those things you'll need to learn from experience though.

Dracil on
  • Options

All those attacks you just convert into Power Guard. When in doubt, I just press X till the attack is done then smash them for extra damage. Nergi dive bomb 4 hit combo? Power guard thrust into the face. Pressed the counter thrust too early? Press X and you've basically extended your counter duration for the length of your stamina bar. Trying to smash horns? Power Guard thrust.

this man has faith in his stamina bar.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    When you get hit with Power Guard you don't take any stamina damage. It even stops going down for a few seconds. It basically works differently from regular guard.

Instead of Guard vs Evade lancing, I would say this generation has Guard vs Power Guard lancing, with the latter probably replacing Guard skills for maybe Marathon Runner and such. I'm not sure if the Guard skills actually has any impact on Power Guard and would need to do some testing.

Dracil on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    So I just discovered yesterday you can actually sort armor by skills (and many other attributes) when looking what to craft. Only thing that bothers me is that the skills aren't sorted A-Z, but it's really neat it even highlights the armor pieces, I am not missing MHDEX, even though it is an amazing tool.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Today, I'm gonna see if I can get away with only 1 level of Flinch Free. I'm still not sure what attacks are considered trips vs knockbacks. But a lot of people seem to say that just 1 Flinch Free seems to guard against almost every teammate attack. This would give me a lot more armor skill flexibility if true.

Dracil on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Today, I'm gonna see if I can get away with only 1 level of Flinch Free. I'm still not sure what attacks are considered trips vs knockbacks. But a lot of people seem to say that just 1 Flinch Free seems to guard against almost every teammate attack. This would give me a lot more armor skill flexibility if true.

I just went with it and used it as an excuse to grab razor sharp.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    When you get hit with Power Guard you don't take any stamina damage. It even stops going down for a few seconds. It basically works differently from regular guard.

Instead of Guard vs Evade lancing, I would say this generation has Guard vs Power Guard lancing, with the latter probably replacing Guard skills for maybe Marathon Runner and such. I'm not sure if the Guard skills actually has any impact on Power Guard and would need to do some testing.

I am very much a regular guard lancer.

Power guard is cool I just can't get my brain to hit the right buttons to make it happen.

My brain is all like "nah, we're gonna counter here. Thanks for the suggestion though."

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    Another note about Kushala Daora, and how she's low key the easiest monster:

You never, ever, have to fight her in the final area. When she tries to leave, flash pod her in the face, and she'll collapse to the floor, letting you get more damage in. Then, she'll stick around for a bit, letting you do more damage. Rinse and repeat.

Generally, I only ever fight her in 2 areas total. The first fly off is usually too fast to stop unless you were prepared/waiting/have baller teammates. The tired fly off to the final area, though, is generally slow and sleepy, so it's much easier to flash it.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    They should have just called the IG the Goliath Destroyer.

The bigger they are in this game, the more laughable it is against that weapon.

"Oh sweet! More room to dance on you."

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Y'all make it sound like Lance is just more engaging to use than Gunlance, but I don't know how to use either of them. I tried out GL a little but just for the explodey bits, I like it flavor-wise

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    They're both engaging, just in different ways. Lance is more about reading monster movement and then reacting to it. Gunlance is more about managing your sharpness/ammo/stake and shoving them all into the monster for explosions.

Dracil on
  • Options
    They're both engaging, just in different ways. Lance is more about reading monster movement and then reacting to it. Gunlance is more about managing your sharpness/ammo/stake and shoving them all into the monster for explosions.

This. Very fun, very different.

• Options
    Nope, still need L3 Flinch Free. First fight GL and Slicing and knocking me down.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Y'all make it sound like Lance is just more engaging to use than Gunlance, but I don't know how to use either of them. I tried out GL a little but just for the explodey bits, I like it flavor-wise

I went into Gunlance thinking that Lance sounded too defensive and boring, and Gunlance has extremely satisfying attacks. But I ended up attacking constantly and getting fucked up, where the optimal Gunlance tempo is very much defend until an opening, then attack.

A while later I tried Lance (after seeing gaijin hunter's guide) and I fell in love with it. The Lance is very defensive, but it turns defense into attacks so instead of being a defend then attack tempo, it's defend AND attack, constantly. I see more damage numbers pop up playing Lance than any other weapon; they're not particularly high, but they're continuous.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Just ran into Bazelgeuse for the first time. I don't think I was supposed to actually fight him yet, but... I decided to fight him. Took like 40 minutes and I had only two left when he went down, which was via mega barrel bombs around him while he was sleeping, and he carted me twice, but I think it was worth it because I now have a bunch of materials I can't use yet! ...Wait.

Regardless, motherfucker had it coming.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    They should work on making the interim levels of perks be more meaningful. It's pretty lame how often it's either "does nothing" or "you have maxed out this perk and it is fucking badass".

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    Just picked this up. I've watched a few videos but never played a Monster Hunter before. About to pick my first weapon. Any good recommendations for someone who has played the souls series and bloodbourne, but doesn't like super slow weapons?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    JMan711 wrote: »
    Just picked this up. I've watched a few videos but never played a Monster Hunter before. About to pick my first weapon. Any good recommendations for someone who has played the souls series and bloodbourne, but doesn't like super slow weapons?

Hit the training ground to try them, but there's basically 0 investment at that point, and you can swap freely.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    How do you get level 2 and 3 charms? All I see in the craft list is level 1.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »

Upgrade menu.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Just starting out don't want a slow weapon, long sword, sword and shield or dual blades.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    JMan711 wrote: »

Hit the training ground to try them, but there's basically 0 investment at that point, and you can swap freely.

Indeed. I've been swapping around between a ton of different weapons as I progressed and trying them out. Currently my big one is the Insect Glaive, but I started out with the Chargeblade then went Gunlance for awhile.

As far as some weapons to start trying, Sword and Shield, Charge Blade, and Switch Axe are all pretty nice weapons to try out early on.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    also i wish they did the thing that mantles do where they drain top to bottom as duration runs out for the IG extracts. that would be an A++++ quality of life change.

I think the buffs last like a minute? Or at least red does, afaik. A draining meter would be nice but kind of pointless too since you can refresh the buffs at any time.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    Just ran into Bazelgeuse for the first time. I don't think I was supposed to actually fight him yet, but... I decided to fight him. Took like 40 minutes and I had only two left when he went down, which was via mega barrel bombs around him while he was sleeping, and he carted me twice, but I think it was worth it because I now have a bunch of materials I can't use yet! ...Wait.

Should have yourself some talons to craft those power/armor charms into talons then double up (triple up?)

• Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot to look at the charms I could make off of his stuff. I'll have to see what I can do there. I got quite a hall from him because it took so long and my Palico was robbing him blind the entire time.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Just fought Bazel for the first time today on an expedition. I really like how he just soars around hunting you down. It adds an element of tension to all the fights you get into. His design is really neat, too, so it was fun to see him up close. Until he blew me up.

Grammatically, it's also interesting how we all slide into using monster names as proper names, as though these are unique individuals, or like... mystical instances of the same archetype. Reminds me of how animals are named in a lot of pagan myth.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    For me, Bagelgrease has gone from super annoying to really useful. Positioning myself so that his divebomb trashes whatever I'm fighting isn't too hard at this point.

As far as fighting him alone, he's a pushover really. I was a bit apprehensive about the 2x tempered fight, but they stayed well apart most of the time, and while they hit a bit harder, it wasn't too bad at all.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I really can't wait for World to come out on PC. I want to try playing around with bows, but I'm too lazy to build a whole new set of armor for that garbage.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    navgoose wrote: »
    Iblis wrote: »

Should have yourself some talons to craft those power/armor charms into talons then double up (triple up?)

Checked now. Do I need them for the upgrade on some charms? Don't seem to have any charm crafting options at the moment that use Bezel parts, but maybe they'll unlock if I keep progressing. I just beat Zora Magdaros a little while ago, so I'm not super far into the late game yet.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I think he meant the Power/Armor Charm, which can be combined with (X) to create Power Talon/Armor Talon, which provide a passive buff to Attack and Armor while in your inventory. The Charm/Talons stack, so you can benefit from all 4.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Bezel talons upgrade your power and armor charms.

I don't know the world values, but the upgrades plus base is about 2.5 stronger than just base

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Upgrade menu.

That ... doesn't help. What do I need in order to make a level 1 charm into a level 2 charm? I feel like I'm missing something basic. The upgrade menu just shows everything as greyed out.

Edit: I've googled this to no avail, by the way. Which is why I'm asking here.

Fawst on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Upgrade menu.

That ... doesn't help. What do I need in order to make a level 1 charm into a level 2 charm? I feel like I'm missing something basic. The upgrade menu just shows everything as greyed out.

Power and armor charm upgrade via the crafting list
    Equipment charms upgrade at the smithy the same as any other equipment.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

Upgrade menu.

Upgrade equipment > select charm

• Options
    Power and armor charms aren't equipment they are items and they don't have 1 or 2 or any number after them like equipment charms.

Probably cause a bit of confusion with terminology.