As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] hugs

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Seventeen dollars for parking?

Take the bus. Damn.

lots of places don't have very functional bus services

the public transit situation in much of the US is pretty bad yeah

the idea that there are cities you can't reliably navigate without a car is gross

.... this is most of the cities. Like nearly all the cities.
    I would love to never have to drive, but it is too damn inconvenient.

Like DC proper you can not drive, but anywhere outside the beltway you need to own a car. Baltimore you can get away not owning a car in certain areas, but you probably should. And then pretty much every other city (except NY Seattle and San Fran) you need one. It is a critical asset to your ability to earn a decent living.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    One of the things I really like about NY is that you can get from anywhere to anywhere, fairly reliably and quickly, for less than $3

None of the other cities or towns I've lived in have had comparable public transit

London is like this

I think one of the things that tends to turn people into public transport true believers is living somewhere where it is ubiquitous and frictionless enough that you can use it without having to plan in advance

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Thing is when they were planned poor mass transit access was a feature not a bug for most US cities.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Public transit is 99.8% people who just want to get where they are going, staring at their phones, headphones on, ignoring everything around them.

.18% are buskers.

.02% are homeless and/or unstable. But even they mostly don’t want any trouble.

It’s so much safer than going to a bar or a rivals sporting event or a rock concert, in my experience.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Seventeen dollars for parking?

Take the bus. Damn.

lots of places don't have very functional bus services

the public transit situation in much of the US is pretty bad yeah

the idea that there are cities you can't reliably navigate without a car is gross

Lost Angeles is roughly 5x the size in area than Coppenhagan. Getting from my house to LAX consists of going from one side of that city to the other, at least.

Oh god. When I interned down there in the 90s it took almost 2 hours via bus to get from La Canada Flintridge to Caltech in Pasedena.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    FINE I’LL DO IT MYSELF
    Neco wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    synd where do you live -_-

Um upstate New York!

Oh really? Because I’m from Utica and I’ve never seen anyone see syndalis before

Neco on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Park and ride is pretty good here. And the tram system is nifty.

I do wonder if my experiences are coloured by the fact that I never see them at rush hour.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Echo wrote: »

Stick 'em with the pointer end.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    one of the biggest reasons I want to move back to Chicago proper (or to another large city like nyc or sf) is that I hate driving and love walking everywhere

also I miss living in a city with a real nightlife

I just wanna go dancingggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Hmm, okay, part 4 lays it on pretty thick with the "bunnies dating kitties is socially unacceptable" thing, but part 5 is a cute conclusion.

Here's the whole thing if anybody's interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3quYcNI3dOs

(It helps if you recontextualize the first part as him being nervous about how a bunny/cat relationship would be perceived rather than actively disliking her at first)

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    neco thank you for your service

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2018
    There are many things I miss about having a good, blanketing public transit network. But there are also things I really like about having a car (tho obvs I don’t live in the big city so car ownership is less stressful for me). I’d be loath to give up a car at this point.

Organichu on
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I love living in a public transportation land. I feel perfectly comfortable in trains and buses at this point! It's nice to be able to get most places by bus. I am not more frequently harrangued by obnoxious men on buses or the T than I am anywhere else - which is to say, it happens frequently and there's no avoiding it even if I'm just in the passenger seat at a stop light

I do like having a car for going to the city or big grocery shops, but it isn't necessary otherwise where I live and I like that

Blameless Cleric on
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    mostly i like public transit because i still don't have a driver's license

i should do that at some point i suppose

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    japan wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Park and ride is pretty good here. And the tram system is nifty.

I do wonder if my experiences are coloured by the fact that I never see them at rush hour.

The rush hour here is awful if you're heading into the city in the morning and out at night. Happily, I do the opposite in both cases. When I have to drive somewhere else in rush hour I rapidly remember why I will never willingly commute very far.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    LA public transit was OK for us, as long as you don't want to get very far. It saved us from paying for parking a few times

• Options

no it's ok why gain an useful life skill when you could just play more video games

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Also one of the reasons I can't wait for Google to have a self driving car. I would have that car drop me off at a place, and then I'd send it home or it's parking spot, I'd then use my app to have my car pick me up. I'd hop in and have it take me home.

That would be incredible. That is the future I look forward too.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    There are many things I miss about having a good, blanketing public transit network. But there are also things I really like about having a car (tho obvs I don’t live in the big city so car ownership is less stressful for me). I’d be loath to give up a car at this point.

You can't even do donuts in a subway

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Also one of the reasons I can't wait for Google to have a self driving car. I would have that car drop me off at a place, and then I'd send it home or it's parking spot, I'd then use my app to have my car pick me up. I'd hop in and have it take me home.

jerk it on the drive to work

jerk it on the drive home

• Options

no it's ok why gain an useful life skill when you could just play more video games

It’s like you’ve stared directly into my soul

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I had to go to a West Caldwell, New Jersey a few years ago for work training. It was during a very cold winter, and I live in Florida. I didn't care for that, but there was a ton of Italian food places within arms reach basically. That I did enjoy.

I live right by there so I can empathize there. Did you/do you work for Siemens by chance?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    public transit craziness depends enormously on time of day

honestly the weirdest public transit crew is people who take the bus at about noon on a weekday

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Public transit is 99.8% people who just want to get where they are going, staring at their phones, headphones on, ignoring everything around them.

.18% are buskers.

.02% are homeless and/or unstable. But even they mostly don’t want any trouble.

It’s so much safer than going to a bar or a rivals sporting event or a rock concert, in my experience.

Well, naturally, because they don’t serve the devil’s drink on buses or subways

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    LA public transit was OK for us, as long as you don't want to get very far. It saved us from paying for parking a few times

LA public transit is far from what I'd call "good", but it's a lot better than it used to be, and you can technically get pretty much everywhere by bus, it just takes forever.

They expanded the subway system semi-recently, though, and that's a huge boon to my car-less friends in LA.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    But also I have terrible vision and am terrified of driving so good luck getting me in a driver’s seat! >:(

• Options

you've convinced me

• Options

You'd still spend a ton of time sitting in traffic while the self driving cars putt putt amongst themselves and human drivers regardless of how nice their phone app is

Uber is already contributing to further congestion in cities

Buses and rail remain the solution 9 times out of 10

• Options
    I’m tired. It I shouldn’t be but I should take a nap but I have errands to run but it’s cold anyway so it’s time for nap probably

• Options

LA public transit is far from what I'd call "good", but it's a lot better than it used to be, and you can technically get pretty much everywhere by bus, it just takes forever.

They expanded the subway system semi-recently, though, and that's a huge boon to my car-less friends in LA.

It was fine for getting from Westwood to the beach, or Westwood to downtown. Basically up or down Wilshire/Santa Monica was fine. The rest I never really dealt with. The Santa Monica buses were actually pretty good, by and large. And I had the UCLA bus that picked up one block from my apartment and drop me off directly in front of work.

Man. Those were the good old days. Now I commute 30-40m by car. It could be 20, but I do surface streets because the freeways are terrifying.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Presented with no comment.

This leads to the last possible star. Is it any good? I got the 12-pack home and put it in the fridge, placing two cans into the freezer. 20 minutes later I cracked open a now very chilled can of Mt. Dew Throwback and took a swig. I didn’t like it. Well, I mean it didn’t seem like that big of a deal. I finished the can and within a few minutes had really bad heartburn. I drank a second can just to see, but didn’t like it either. Today I cracked opened a third can and guess what? It was so frick’n good. It was so good that I remembered the Garlic Sauce pizza I had the night before which was probably the real source of the heartburn. I guess I just wasn’t in the mood last night for it, but wow. It was good. It had no aftertaste. It went down smooth. It was hands down the best soda I’ve ever had. So for that they get a star.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't mind driving but I hate traffic. Perhaps the solution is for everyone else to get off my road.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Y'all motherfuckers need Donald Shoup.

Maybe I'll effortpost in a bit.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

You'd still spend a ton of time sitting in traffic while the self driving cars putt putt amongst themselves and human drivers regardless of how nice their phone app is

Uber is already contributing to further congestion in cities

Buses and rail remain the solution 9 times out of 10

Like every collection action problem, the optimal solution is for everyone ELSE to use buses and rail while I still drive.

• Options

Did you hear they're extending one of the lines all the way west to the coast

All the rich people who hated rail suddenly realized they could stop sitting in traffic and changed their tune on the west side

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I've never owned a car. Though I will happily take advantage of my girlfriend's car to go to the grocery store 5 blocks away when it's rainy and cold outside.

I've owned two, but never bought one! Riddle me that.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Feral wrote: »

Look just because his name is banned doesn’t mean you get to just make up some other name for him

Neco on
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »

I WARNED Y'ALL

I WARNED Y'ALL 'BOUT FERAL AND DONALD SHOUP

vRyue2p.png
This discussion has been closed.