• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    $17 for how long?

Here £2-4 an hour is typical

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Parking is not for the poors.

Convenience in general isn't for poor people. The poorer you are, the longer and more annoying and expensive it is to do basically everything.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Seventeen dollars for parking?

Take the bus. Damn.

That's actually the goal.

Much of the visitor-centric parts of hoboken are very walkable, and there is PATH, light rail and train access to there, and busses for local and connections.

If that were the goal surely residents would have to pay $17

Residents are going to add a lot more traffic per person than visitors

Let's just say I 100% disagree with the idea that the locals who pay into the local government should get a shittier level of service than the visitors who come in.

What are you talking about

How are you "get[ting] a shittier level of service" if you pay the same price

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    synd where do you live -_-

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'd really really love to see a cyberpunk dystopia that at least charges penalty fees on a graduated scale instead of this perpetual regressive junk.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Chimera wrote: »
    Wait are we talking about hugs?! :D

I love hugs sooooooooooooooooooooooo much, just ask Melding! Mel, tell them how much I love picking people up and hugging them! <3

4i9octmn27l0.png

Aww that’s cute! <3

Neco on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    Remember that time Wendy's tried to be hip with the kids and made a meme commercial and we all died a little on the inside? Like even more than eating their food does on a normal basis?

Has trying to be "Hip" ever worked for advertisers?

The Tide ads are pretty amazing.

It is this generation's Energizer Bunny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Es9pInt5LU

Nothing is original. We are all thieves.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    My dad's neighborhood became REALLY hip in the past 10-15 years and he was able to rent out his parking spot in the alley for $300 a month. Finding parking on a Friday/Saturday night is ridiculously difficult. We drove there once because we were running late and had to make wider and wider circles until we found a spot 4 blocks away after 30 minutes of searching.
    Another reason why everyone I know parks outside the beltway and grabs an uber or metro.

less cars on the road is a net good for a community. You reduce this number by providing good public transit options, and then making it annoying/painful to bring your car in.

It costs 11-15 dollars to drive into manhattan, even before parking. Maybe more if you took the turnpike or parkway.

Parking will run you 40-60 bucks for an evening depending on your car, the neighborhood, etc. unless you get super lucky with street parking.

A PATH ticket costs less than three bucks each way and its much easier to find parking in jersey city, and cheaper to get a lot spot in Newark or Seacaucus.

Hoboken is doing the same thing on a lesser scale; increase the pain such that people say "fuck it i'll take the bus" which is even better for hoboken because its a very bar-heavy town.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Take the bus. Damn.

lots of places don't have very functional bus services

the public transit situation in much of the US is pretty bad yeah

the idea that there are cities you can't reliably navigate without a car is gross

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I had friends in Seattle that were always late for shit because they would look for free parking. I mean I get not paying 10 bucks or so that you dont need to but the other side is people always complaining parking sucks when its just because they are circling forever trying to find that empty spot that everyone else is trying to grab.

• Options
    What’s not cute is the part where I forgot to edit out the@ tag before posting :(

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    japan wrote: »
    $17 for how long?

Here £2-4 an hour is typical
    In DC parking is usually 10$-11$ for up to an hour, and 22$ from 1 hour till midnight.

If you can get early bird parking it is 12$-14$ for the day, but you have to get in before 9am.

If you are a fucken parking ninja like me, you know where the hidden parking spots are where there is almost always a spot in certain areas...I often park in construction parking put on my PPE and clipboard and hop out of my car.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Whever I think of this, I think of the Extra Poorness Fee that BC had to pay one year in order to file additional documents for scholarship money for poor kids.

Literally an extra fee to submit documents proving you were poor enough to qualify for more college aid.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I had friends in Seattle that were always late for shit because they would look for free parking. I mean I get not paying 10 bucks or so that you dont need to but the other side is people always complaining parking sucks when its just because they are circling forever trying to find that empty spot that everyone else is trying to grab.

Like 90% of the time I go downtown I take a bus. Fuck trying to find parking paid or otherwise.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Wait are we talking about hugs?! :D

I love hugs sooooooooooooooooooooooo much, just ask Melding! Mel, tell them how much I love picking people up and hugging them! <3

4i9octmn27l0.png

Aww that’s cute! <3

Isn't @Melding like the cutest elf ever?! <3

• Options
    Overpriced parking is bullshit fix your fucking city

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Little do you all know that you've fallen into @Feral's trap.

Lay some Donald Shoup on 'em, brother.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

Take the bus. Damn.

the idea that there are cities you can't reliably navigate without a car is gross

.... this is most of the cities. Like nearly all the cities.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    Whever I think of this, I think of the Extra Poorness Fee that BC had to pay one year in order to file additional documents for scholarship money for poor kids.

Literally an extra fee to submit documents proving you were poor enough to qualify for more college aid.

It's incentivizing her to work harder!

• Options
    Neco wrote: »
    Overpriced parking is bullshit fix your fucking city
    This is valid.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Okay, I have to go back to being an adult and like work or something. :/

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Elki wrote: »
    I'm on mobile but umm isn't it @Elki that has that gorgeous signature -- is that by Hiranyaksha on Tumblr???

"Blameless Cleric" OMG yes it is! Let me tell you, I didn't expect anyone to recognize that. But I don't follow him on tumblr, I follow him twitter, which I use like people use tumblr. I should just use tumblr instead, since it's actually much better at following artists.

Anyways, I think you're some kind of wizard.
    He has a really good webcomic and also he's so nice and his art and poetry make me cry!!! I'd been staring at your signature trying to decide whether or not it was his for ages!! I am pleased :D

Blameless Cleric on
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Thing is Hoboken is a place people do to take mass transit into the city.

They just don't want people coming from even further out and parking there to go in.

• Options
    Also Syndalis it sounds like a nightmare to have to take public transit everywhere. It's like 80% crazy ppl right?

• Options

I'm surprised the college didn't send you a document saying that you were expected to pay 20% of her poorness fee, because college financial aid is a bag of dicks.

• Options

Take the bus. Damn.

.... this is most of the cities. Like nearly all the cities.

yeah it's pretty bad!

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Park and ride is a thing that seems like a good idea yet never seems to be as popular as it feels like it should be.

I think the only regularly used such scheme I've seen was the one in Cambridge.

• Options
    One of the things I really like about NY is that you can get from anywhere to anywhere, fairly reliably and quickly, for less than $3

None of the other cities or towns I've lived in have had comparable public transit

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    All I know about Hoboken is you never fuck with people from there if you're a rogue cia agent who set up a cat burglar.

Hudson Hawk. Wait, what

• Options
    kedinik wrote: »
    synd where do you live -_-

Um upstate New York!

• Options
    Belasco in particular is not suited to public transit life. She would I think be pretty scared of being accosted basically every time she went anywhere.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

Oh I've had to pay that every year

Yaaaay

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    autobolish the automobile

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Take the bus. Damn.

Lost Angeles is roughly 5x the size in area than Coppenhagan. Getting from my house to LAX consists of going from one side of that city to the other, at least.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Also Syndalis it sounds like a nightmare to have to take public transit everywhere. It's like 80% crazy ppl right?

We've really got to export London's public transport culture

You get on the tube, you shut the fuck up and don't make eye contact with anyone for the next hour of your life

It's great

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    downtown Chicago street parking is $6.50/hr and garages are like, $15/day for early bird specials and like $30-$40/day otherwise

we leased 100 years of our street parking to a private corp for pennies so I'm p sure the $6.50/hr is a true market value and not subsidized in any fashion lol im not bitter yes im bitter fuck you Chicago aldermen

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    One way to dissuade people from parking somewhere without being classist: No Parking, but lots of public transport dropoff points.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

Take the bus. Damn.

That's actually the goal.

Much of the visitor-centric parts of hoboken are very walkable, and there is PATH, light rail and train access to there, and busses for local and connections.

If that were the goal surely residents would have to pay $17

Residents are going to add a lot more traffic per person than visitors

Let's just say I 100% disagree with the idea that the locals who pay into the local government should get a shittier level of service than the visitors who come in.

i mean at that point we're basically talking politics

i'm not arguing the larger point, though i agree with hakkes, just quibbling with the one comment you made that i don't think can be supported

if the goal were to reduce traffic, you would levy a parking fee against both residents and visitors

sig.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Park and ride is pretty good here. And the tram system is nifty.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Take the bus. Damn.

Lost Angeles is roughly 5x the size in area than Coppenhagan. Getting from my house to LAX consists of going from one side of that city to the other, at least.

Los Angeles is a ridiculous city that seems barely functional.

This discussion has been closed.