Options

[QUILTBAG]: The time for Pride has passed. Now is the time for Wrath.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Which campus is that? Doesn't look like Curtin?

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

it is! there's a lot of new spaces and such since I was last there

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Went for a bit of a walk around my university campus today, since it's been like 8 years since I last studied there and there's a lot of new buildings and spaces now, and there was a lot of real cool real queer art around the place.

There was this big seating area that had some weird metal outlines of the, like, gender symbols you'd see on bathroom doors etc. except there was a third that was the nonbinary style one. Just right there out in the open, very cool to see. Also a bunch of nice street art probably done by art students one year and there were several cute paintings of obviously queer couples.

Just feels real nice to see that stuff around the place on campus.

e: didn't get the symbols one but

Hey, it's Sans Undertale!

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

it is! there's a lot of new spaces and such since I was last there

It's crazy how fast that can go. In the, like, 6 years since I graduated my alma mater has put a lot of effort into filling every bit of open green space on campus with more buildings, as well as replacing some of the 100+ year old ones that were in dire condition, so it's basically unrecognizable to me now.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Last night a black gay furry won the DBFZ championship at Evo and immediately posted this after the match was over:

No one will ever again win Evo and jump on Twitter to post "I'm gay". Fuckin legendary.

(also his Twitter is very NSFW, be warned if you decide to click)

The Betgirl on
    Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Went for a bit of a walk around my university campus today, since it's been like 8 years since I last studied there and there's a lot of new buildings and spaces now, and there was a lot of real cool real queer art around the place.

There was this big seating area that had some weird metal outlines of the, like, gender symbols you'd see on bathroom doors etc. except there was a third that was the nonbinary style one. Just right there out in the open, very cool to see. Also a bunch of nice street art probably done by art students one year and there were several cute paintings of obviously queer couples.

Just feels real nice to see that stuff around the place on campus.

e: didn't get the symbols one but

Hey, it's Sans Undertale!

yeah we noticed that, it was v cool

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Today I'm freaking out a little bit over a possibly dumb thing, that the name I picked is traditionally Jewish, and as far as I know I've never known of a non-Jewish Seth, and I'm not Jewish at all. And is that kind of appropriating? Is it a name that is ever used by non-Jewish people?

• Options
    I know non-Jewish Seths. I think you're okay.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    SonicFox is a goddamn treasure.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Today I'm freaking out a little bit over a possibly dumb thing, that the name I picked is traditionally Jewish, and as far as I know I've never known of a non-Jewish Seth, and I'm not Jewish at all. And is that kind of appropriating? Is it a name that is ever used by non-Jewish people?

No one's going to think twice about it.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

eh I'm jewish and ended up picking a name that doesn't reflect that, so feel free to take my allotment of jew names :P

I honestly don't associate Seth with Jews too much compared to tons of other names (eg David, Joshua--not to mention something more old-timey and grandpa-style like Abraham, Solomon, etc), and I'm usually hyper-aware of that sort of thing. Definitely don't worry about it.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Okay that's a relief, thanks everyone. It's a rare name over here so I don't really have a frame of reference.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Sigh. I like to occasionally go online and talk about demisexuality on twitter, but it seems like I can't ever actually search for discussions on it without coming across folks claiming that it isn't really a thing.

Gonna spoiler this rant, because it's a little uncomfortable to talk about and I feel like it's gonna run on a bit long. Please bear with me.
    I will preface this by saying that I am.... well, ,"different" in a few ways. I'm autistic spectrum, I'm ADHD, I'm a kinisthetic learner who couldn't get through college due to being unable to remember things in a course that was lecture based, my social skills have always been subpar and my ability to communicate makes meaningful understanding with others far more work than it ought to be.

I've actually got more than a little resentment towards folks at large because of how difficult it is for me to blend in and not stand out. So I get frustrated very quickly at the idea that something about me that pretty explicitly makes me feel isolated from most people is totally ordinary, and that wanting to put a label on it is just me wanting to feel special. As if I fucking need any new labels to feel separated from average folks.

But anyway, I'll get to my point.

I keep seeing folks argue that Demisexuality - the inability to feel sexual attraction towards a person until an emotional connection is formed - is the standard that most people already go through.

But I see folks making passes at others, specifically demonstrating sexual interest in other people they barely know, ALL THE TIME.

Not to suggest that everyone is horny for other people constantly. I'm aware that most people aren't that sexually active. Everyone is different and no two people have the exact same sexual experiences.

That said, it seems like the vast majority of people don't need to clear that prerequisite in order for attraction to take place. I think it's more accurate to say that folks seek to develop some connection before they feel secure with attempting to act on the attraction that's already there. The attraction itself doesn't seem to be a hurdle for most people.

But I'm not everyone else, so I guess I can't confirm this as hard fact?

The fact that I hardly ever had any desire to have sex with another person until over 20 years after I entered puberty was....a cause of concern for me for a long time. I wasn't so much concerned about the lack of sexual interest in any particular person at all, exactly. It was more that everyone else seemed more or less actively interested in it while I very much was not.

If I just had no sexual interests at all, I probably would have deduced that I'm asexual. But I was never devoid of sexual interest, exactly. I just never ever felt anything strong enough to make me want to act on it with anybody.

So I couldn't call myself asexual outright, but I couldn't really call myself normally sexual either (aka: Allosexual).

At times, I felt like something in me must have been broken, because I could think of no other explanation that rationalized the way I was.

When I fell in love with Amara and became familiar with the concept of Demisexuality - a label that just about perfectly describes my experience with sexuality - it was a HUGE relief. I suddenly didn't feel like a freak anymore.

And seeing people want to invalidate that label....hurts. It's like other people don't WANT me to stop feeling like a freak. They'd rather I hate myself, than accept that not all people experience sexuality the way they do.

And it really sucks. :/
    "It seems like the vast majority of people don't need to clear that prerequisite in order for attraction to take place." Yeah, that scans with my experience.

I haven't spent a lot of time with demi as a concept. At first glance, the "but that's just how EVERYONE is" with regards to demisexuality sounds a lot like people who are demisexual but aren't aware that's not how everyone operates. Like a version of a straight self-identifying person saying "but EVERYONE is attracted to their own gender, that doesn't make you [gay/bi/pan/whatever]!" The unstated part of that thought is "because if it did, then I would be one of those, and I know I'm not, so that can't be it."

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Okay that's a relief, thanks everyone. It's a rare name over here so I don't really have a frame of reference.

I think Seth, I get Setesh or Set, the Egyptian god. But I used to mainline Stargate marathons so…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Last night a black gay furry won the DBFZ championship at Evo and immediately posted this after the match was over:

No one will ever again win Evo and jump on Twitter to post "I'm gay". Fuckin legendary.

There is a wave of SonicFox fanart passing through twitter now. It is a joyous time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

Is that a thing that normally happens?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    is what a thing that normally happens?

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

The people who win this Evo posting "I'm gay". Is that some kind of running joke or something?

The phrasing implies that it's something that happened in the past.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

The people who win this Evo posting "I'm gay". Is that some kind of running joke or something?

no, this is the first time

• Options

People will just post 'im gay' on twitter a lot as a funny thing

so the guy winning evo and then posting it is pretty funny. And no, no one else has ever done it

• Options
    I hope it does happen again. I hope Evo becomes queer as hell.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Listen we're taking over the world. that's just how it's gonna be from now on

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I feel like the FGC has been getting more and more diverse over the years. It was always one of the most racially diverse subsets of the games community, but there have been some pretty great queer players in recent years.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    SonicFox is going to jump from game to game, winning a different EVO each year.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I hope he goes to Melee and beats all 5 of the Five Gods and the community just implodes.

I love watching Melee but also holy fuck that community is a very bad group of humans.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular

so the guy winning evo and then posting it is pretty funny. And no, no one else has ever done it

It's also kind of a continuation of this tweet.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Sigh. I like to occasionally go online and talk about demisexuality on twitter, but it seems like I can't ever actually search for discussions on it without coming across folks claiming that it isn't really a thing.

Gonna spoiler this rant, because it's a little uncomfortable to talk about and I feel like it's gonna run on a bit long. Please bear with me.
    I will preface this by saying that I am.... well, ,"different" in a few ways. I'm autistic spectrum, I'm ADHD, I'm a kinisthetic learner who couldn't get through college due to being unable to remember things in a course that was lecture based, my social skills have always been subpar and my ability to communicate makes meaningful understanding with others far more work than it ought to be.

I've actually got more than a little resentment towards folks at large because of how difficult it is for me to blend in and not stand out. So I get frustrated very quickly at the idea that something about me that pretty explicitly makes me feel isolated from most people is totally ordinary, and that wanting to put a label on it is just me wanting to feel special. As if I fucking need any new labels to feel separated from average folks.

But anyway, I'll get to my point.

I keep seeing folks argue that Demisexuality - the inability to feel sexual attraction towards a person until an emotional connection is formed - is the standard that most people already go through.

But I see folks making passes at others, specifically demonstrating sexual interest in other people they barely know, ALL THE TIME.

Not to suggest that everyone is horny for other people constantly. I'm aware that most people aren't that sexually active. Everyone is different and no two people have the exact same sexual experiences.

That said, it seems like the vast majority of people don't need to clear that prerequisite in order for attraction to take place. I think it's more accurate to say that folks seek to develop some connection before they feel secure with attempting to act on the attraction that's already there. The attraction itself doesn't seem to be a hurdle for most people.

But I'm not everyone else, so I guess I can't confirm this as hard fact?

The fact that I hardly ever had any desire to have sex with another person until over 20 years after I entered puberty was....a cause of concern for me for a long time. I wasn't so much concerned about the lack of sexual interest in any particular person at all, exactly. It was more that everyone else seemed more or less actively interested in it while I very much was not.

If I just had no sexual interests at all, I probably would have deduced that I'm asexual. But I was never devoid of sexual interest, exactly. I just never ever felt anything strong enough to make me want to act on it with anybody.

So I couldn't call myself asexual outright, but I couldn't really call myself normally sexual either (aka: Allosexual).

At times, I felt like something in me must have been broken, because I could think of no other explanation that rationalized the way I was.

When I fell in love with Amara and became familiar with the concept of Demisexuality - a label that just about perfectly describes my experience with sexuality - it was a HUGE relief. I suddenly didn't feel like a freak anymore.

And seeing people want to invalidate that label....hurts. It's like other people don't WANT me to stop feeling like a freak. They'd rather I hate myself, than accept that not all people experience sexuality the way they do.

And it really sucks. :/

I feel ya. Demisexual also and it took me SO LONG to figure out myself and it was so hard figuring out why I was completely unaware and ambivilent about the attractiveness of other people to the point where I felt I couldnt really “get” them. Like everybody would see someone pass-by and start having a conversation that felt to me like half of it was mind reading.

To be told by someone who put the bare minimum of effort into even understanding what being demi is? Incredibly frustrating.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018

It's also kind of a continuation of this tweet.

Man, I mean, I tried to "git gud" at games like Guilty Gear and SFV. I'm not like, scrublord levels, but I'm nowhere close to EVO Top 64 levels either. :P

Probably because most of my video game time gets pulled towards MMOs, standalone RPGs (Octopath Traveler is so good) and hanging out with the hubby and bf.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    git gay

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Being gay is probably a necessary but not sufficient condition for winning Evo.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    snip

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Erm I might be the only one but that post gives me the jeebies

• Options
    I was poking fun at the dumb bigots who think it's something that's actually a simple genetic trait or a choice but yeah I can see how it would just come across as gross so let's go ahead and do the ol' edit-aroony there.

• Options
    My blood results came in so I went to collect them. Receptionist told me I'm deficient in vitamin D. Which, duh.

• Options
    vitamin duh

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular

Erin, looking amaze!

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Huh, I just came out to a work friend--not someone I ever work with directly, but one of the guys who is at my office and who I used to game with regularly outside of work. We had a good conversation and he was really friendly. He's pretty much an archetypal neckbeard, so we can have really straightforward and honest talks, and I like it a lot. He was also like, hey, congratulations--which is a kind thing to say, and I appreciate it.

On a less good note, I'm still stewing a bit over the guy at the ATT store today doing the 'hello sir how can I help you' 'I'd like--' 'oh sorry sorry I mean ma'am'

Now that I'm actually on T, albeit only for 6 weeks so far, I'm pretty irritated that I am doing my best and it is still not having the effect I want. It's very, very frustrating, and makes me angry. Is that what people mean by dysphoria, maybe? Maybe not. Regardless, it pisses me off. Is it only the voice that's the problem, or is there something in my bearing that's really feminine or effeminate? Or just in the structure of my body, which on the one hand is 5'10" and rail thin, but on the other hand does still have the incorrect shoulder:waist:hip ratio?

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    6 weeks isn't a super long time. unfortunately it sucks on the interim, but it WILL kick in hard at some point.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The effects of testosterone after a year are pretty incredible, and it keeps having an effect after that. After six weeks though, I think the biggest changes are still to come. I'd put a paycheque on big changes happening in the near future, sorry you have to go through this bullshit interim period.

This discussion has been closed.