As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I downloaded the Amazon App Store on my new Pixel 3 XL to re-download some of the premium apps I'd purchased there over the years, but every single one of them says open instead of download when I search them, but they are not installed on my device. Anybody know what that's all about?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    What happens when you click open?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

Absolutely nothing, just click click click, no response.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Oh hey these Pixel earbuds actually are super comfortable. I didn't believe they would be, just looking at them, but decided to give 'em a shot anyway.

• Options

Try clearing the cache for the app and deleting all of its data.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    so the latest update really bogged down my wife's S7, as I stated previously. She's currently trying to factory reset to see if that helps. In parallel, we're looking at S9's as options. My brother's wife is in the same boat. Prices on S9's are actually somewhat reasonable if you don't go retail new

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Oh hey these Pixel earbuds actually are super comfortable. I didn't believe they would be, just looking at them, but decided to give 'em a shot anyway.

Yea, I do find them super comfortable actually, considering they're hard plastic and don't go in ear. the loop things actually do wonders.

Still sound like crap tho. :rotate:

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    They sound so bad which was shocking since I read a review saying that they were a pretty good. Like I don't know on what planet they sound good. Maybe with music but I was listening to podcasts and it sounds so muffled.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    They sound so bad which was shocking since I read a review saying that they were a pretty good. Like I don't know on what planet they sound good. Maybe with music but I was listening to podcasts and it sounds so muffled.

I've found they're good enough with music (they'd probably sound better if they actually sealed the ear canal). Like they're not total crap, but for $30 they're a bit wanting. I actually found all the in-line controls super helpful on a recent flight to the point I can live with the sound quality.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

Yea spoken voice and the mids are just so muddy. It's awful.

I think maybe people were trying to compare them to the cheapo apple headphones since they're the same price. I dunno. I'm keeping them because I want a set of USB-C headphones around for testing purposes, but they definitely won't make their way into my regular rotation.

And while I generally have more expensive headphones that I listen to, I have a random set of $20 sony earbuds in my car that I mostly use if I forget to bring my good headphones with me to the gym that sound way better than these.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

Yea spoken voice and the mids are just so muddy. It's awful.

I think maybe people were trying to compare them to the cheapo apple headphones since they're the same price. I dunno. I'm keeping them because I want a set of USB-C headphones around for testing purposes, but they definitely won't make their way into my regular rotation.

And while I generally have more expensive headphones that I listen to, I have a random set of $20 sony earbuds in my car that I mostly use if I forget to bring my good headphones with me to the gym that sound way better than these.

Yeah I think it's the part where I've had cheaper headphones sound better years ago when I still bought wired headphones. If I had bought these for $10 last minute because I forgot headphones and it was this or nothing before getting on a plane, I'd probably STILL be disappointed.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I actually haven't had any issues with audio quality on them. Maybe inconsistent manufacturing? I've also only been using them for calls, so I might notice issues more if I used them for music or something.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Check your play store. Some people are randomly getting $2-$5 on a banner in the main page.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Well, I now have $3 of credit. I could use it to remove ads from one of my games.

Are there any good <$3 apps I should know about?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Check your play store. Some people are randomly getting $2-$5 on a banner in the main page.

Check all the media types - I got $3 for ebooks.

• Options

Try clearing the cache for the app and deleting all of its data.

I tried clearing the cache already, but deleting all the data finally did it.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    There's also a promo for a $1.99 movie rental.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I intended to mention this last week, if not earlier: Dell Mobile Connect recently became available to all Windows 10 PCs and not just Dell PCs.

In the past, I've grumbled about Microsoft's silent removal of text/app notification integration in Windows 10 via Cortana, though I'm somewhat pleased by the introduction of the Your Phone app that, while very limited by comparison, actually does...basically what it says it does, and very reliably. As it happens, both Asus and Dell have offered their own similar software, and I've been using Dell Mobile Connect for some time now. It works very similarly to Your Phone (or perhaps the reverse is more accurate), with a Windows 10 store app on PC and a Google play App on your Android phone.

An what is it? The most accurate connection is, "A really rough, glitchier version of the Windows 10 Xbox App...for your Android Phone via Wifi and Blutooth at the same time." Which, considering the almost ridiculous amount of stuff you can do in the Xbox App, is actually still really impressive. The Xbox App will let you browse your news feed, send and receive messages, check console notifications, check the integrated Windows store on Xbox, and perhaps most importantly, stream from your console to your Windows 10 PC with integrated controller support--perhaps more accurately called mirroring. Excluding the Google App store, and the fact that the Phone mirroring doesn't actually mirror your phone's audio, oddly enough, it basically does all of those things, but laggier and buggier. Which is still damn impressive for anyone who wants to be able to use various aspects of their phone from them PC while at home. Notifications are quite reliable (though they really ought to integrate it into Windows 10's UI like Vivaldi does, rather than old fashion pop-ups), texting works well excluding the fact that the program occasional gets your contact names mixed up (yeah, it's weird), and the mirroring generally works, though I really wouldn't play a game through it (and you'll occasionally need to restart your PC).

It's a huge amount of functionality compared to Your Phone--albeit less reliably. Could be worth checking out.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    I've been using the Pulse app for messaging; which has a web client if you set up a user account (Free). Of course then you get into the grey area of another company owning copies of your messages. Still, it's a nice feature I've used a few times.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Being an app, Dell Mobile Connect doesn't require an account (well, except one with the Windows App Store) or your browser. It's a good bit more complicated and requires more effort, I imagine, though it works with all your existing Android apps.

• Options
    This is tangentially related to Android (ok, Android TV). I posted in the Streaming Services DnD thread but no bite. ShieldTV is on sale more than one place for $140 US. We primarily watch our entertainment through streaming sticks (and my wife still DVRs network shows; we're working on that).

The issue is that we are using ~4 year old Roku Sticks that are starting to show their age. I'm considering the SheildTV as an option for one TV since it's a central place for various streaming services, and Kodi can be loaded at some point. Additionally, it provides the option to play games. Which, while not a strict selling point, is a "nice have." I've also got a 1080, so there's the potential of game streaming; but I've already got a Steam Box for that.

Do any of you have experience with the ShieldTV that you can sell/unsell me on it?

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Ended up grabbing a pair of Pixel 3 phones with the Google holiday promotion (up to********** 50% off). I'm excited to have a phone that isn't 4 years old and has a battery life longer than 2 hrs!

**********not actually 50% unless you want to buy at least one of the XL phones and we didn't so it was buy one, get one 43.75% off)

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Quick question about phone car mounts.

I keep seeing ones that are just magnets.

Having a powerful magnet on an electronic device with memory was always, to my understanding, an incredibly bad idea.

Did this change at some point? Are these things safe to use? I mean, they're selling them so I have to assume people aren't wiping their phone memory every time they put it in the mountain, right?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Quick question about phone car mounts.

I keep seeing ones that are just magnets.

Having a powerful magnet on an electronic device with memory was always, to my understanding, an incredibly bad idea.

Did this change at some point? Are these things safe to use? I mean, they're selling them so I have to assume people aren't wiping their phone memory every time they put it in the mountain, right?

Traditional memory was a small disc with tiny bits of metal that a magnetic head moved or read. Thus a magnet would catastrophically damage the integrity of the placement of the bits of metal. Solid state memory such as SSDs, USB/flash drives, and SD cards do not use that as their storage medium. So magnets do not affect them. I guess in theory a powerful enough magnet could disrupt some of the functions of your phone, and maybe affect the screen, but it would be at least an order of magnitude stronger then what you are talking about.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah, there's nothing in a cell phone that's going to be affected negatively by a magnet in a phone mount, really.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Hmm with my trade in I can get a Pixel 3 XL for $444.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's nothing in a cell phone that's going to be affected negatively by a magnet in a phone mount, really.

A significant exception is the Galaxy Note series. The grid in the screen for the stylus can be damaged by magnets, whether it is a mount, magnetic clasp for a holster, or a magnetic flip case.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    so Pixel 3/3XL owners - should i jump on this weekend's sale? is it worth it?

i've got a Oneplus 3T right now, and while i'd probably be fine with the 6T, i really can't stand the just-okay camera any longer.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Depends on how much you like the camera. I thought I valued battery life most. But the ridiculous ease of using the Pixel 3 (XL) has me sold. I've "accidentally" have taken more good pictures with the Pixel 3 than I ever did on purpose with my last phone.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the consensus right now is that if you want a stock Android phone and care about an excellent camera, you go for Pixel, while if you are happy with an average camera you save several hundred bucks and go for the OnePlus 6T.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The Pixels camera and software are untouchable at the moment. I don't think the Galaxy 10 will surpass it, given Samsung's fairly lackluster approach to color correction.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    For anyone interested in Fi, they've opened the service up to basically any Android and iOS phone (although I think only the phones purchased through Fi can switch between networks) and today only they're offering up to $999 in travel cards (Airbnb, Delta Air Lines, Hotels.com, and Southwest Airlines), matching the price of the phone you buy. Not a bad deal really if you travel frequently.

Also, if anyone is looking to join I'd be down to send you a referral which I think gets you a $20 credit which is basically a months bill for me (my bill ranges from ~$20-25/month, but I'm on wifi a lot). The referral credit is available until January 9th.

EDIT: Also, this was enough to justify upgrading from my 5x so I'll have a new phone.....first week of January. Oooookay.

Also, apparently Google is testing out phasing out sim cards now :?

emp123 on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I had a phone back in like 2000/2001 or so that didn't have a SIM card. It was an Ericsson (before they joined up with Sony) on AT&T. It had access to text-only versions of articles on a handful of websites, this was like pre-WAP. Funny to think how far we've come.

Anyway, I digress... I was going to say dumping the SIM seems like a step backwards.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    What's the inherent advantage of a SIM card if you can replicate the functionality without it? Honest question, there's probably something I'm missing

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    SIMs were in theory an improvement over the old way which was a phone being locked to a carrier.

If you can buy a phone and move between carriers, then it's fine. If Google is going to lock you into using a Pixel on Fi only, that's a step back.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    SIMs were in theory an improvement over the old way which was a phone being locked to a carrier.

If you can buy a phone and move between carriers, then it's fine. If Google is going to lock you into using a Pixel on Fi only, that's a step back.

They don't. All the phones Google sells directly are unlocked.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    For me, I have a Verizon sim for my personal phone and a Fi sim for my work phone. If I want to move my Fi phone to Verizon I'm not sure how that'll work since Verizon isn't simless. Maybe it still has the slot but doesn't need the sim? I also can't move my Verizon phone to Fi as I won't have a sim (although per the website it looks like you fan request one for free, and I personally will have the Fi sim from my 5x).

Its more of an issue when I travel internationally and want/need to use a foreign sim, but I'm probably an outlier in that regard.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »

They don't. All the phones Google sells directly are unlocked.

For now. Verizon phones used to not use Sim cards back in the Ole days.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    For me, I have a Verizon sim for my personal phone and a Fi sim for my work phone. If I want to move my Fi phone to Verizon I'm not sure how that'll work since Verizon isn't simless. Maybe it still has the slot but doesn't need the sim? I also can't move my Verizon phone to Fi as I won't have a sim (although per the website it looks like you fan request one for free, and I personally will have the Fi sim from my 5x).

Its more of an issue when I travel internationally and want/need to use a foreign sim, but I'm probably an outlier in that regard.

Chances are good your Fi phone's modem isn't compatible with Verizon's cell network.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Dunno about the 3, but my pixel 2 can go SIMless on fi and definitely still has the SIM slot.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt