As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Have a new Galaxy S8 Active on the way. I am just so fucking rough on phones, never had one make it longer then a year. Not always my fault but it happens. Hoping this time to put a case and tempered glass on it since the screen is actually flat.
    Even if you're not rough on the phone accidents happen. Within two weeks of owning my first smartphone my ~9 m/o nephew kicked it out of my hand doing baby things on the bed. It flew three feet laterally and took about a four foot drop. Thankfully it was in a bulky case and survived unscathed.

Of course now a bunch of geniuses think phones should be made of glass, there is a bunch of bullshit about "premium" feel, and the obsession with no bezels (especially on the top and bottom of the phones) have made them extra fragile (your OLED display usually has an invisible bend inside the phone on the bottom and that area is very fragile...now with 80% less chin so it can be subjected to more force when dropped).

Plastic is nice. Good plastic can feel nice. It doesn't shatter or interfere with radio communications. It can absorb shock better than metal or glass. The only real downside that I know of is that it doesn't conduct heat well.

That's a significant downside with the speed of processors increasing and batteries getting bigger.

At what point is the processor fast enough though? I mean my S8 never slows down or hiccups or anything and it is about to be 2 models old. Do we really need smartphones with i7 processor speeds just for Instagram filters and sending dick pics on snapchat? I know a few companies have started with using the phone as a sort of pc tower by making docks and other attachments but I am unsure who they are for. I use my phone all the time to do a wide range of stuff and I have never felt like I wished it was faster. I would much rather have a phone that was good looking and tough then a great looking phone that I never see because I have to keep a case an this fragile glass piece of $800 tech.

Realistically we're probably not close to this being a thing.

It's kind of like thinking 640k will be enough RAM forever. There's probably a ton of AR, AI, and just all-around tasks developers want to put on phones that aren't feasible due to a lack of overall power and, importantly, power efficiency.

Yeah glass kinda sucks no argument here, but every generation of phone ever had its advantages and drawbacks.

Except PCs have all kinds of other uses compared to smartphones. I guess at some point they may be fast enough to be interchangeable but I doubt it. Even if it were possible to miniturize to that extent battery technology is really stagnant and could not hope to provide that kind of juice. Honestly the only reason to really upgrade phones at this point is because they are inherently prone to failure in a 2 to 3 year time frame. If my S8 did not have a failing power modulation chip I don't see any reason to get a newer phone.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Have a new Galaxy S8 Active on the way. I am just so fucking rough on phones, never had one make it longer then a year. Not always my fault but it happens. Hoping this time to put a case and tempered glass on it since the screen is actually flat.
    Even if you're not rough on the phone accidents happen. Within two weeks of owning my first smartphone my ~9 m/o nephew kicked it out of my hand doing baby things on the bed. It flew three feet laterally and took about a four foot drop. Thankfully it was in a bulky case and survived unscathed.

Of course now a bunch of geniuses think phones should be made of glass, there is a bunch of bullshit about "premium" feel, and the obsession with no bezels (especially on the top and bottom of the phones) have made them extra fragile (your OLED display usually has an invisible bend inside the phone on the bottom and that area is very fragile...now with 80% less chin so it can be subjected to more force when dropped).

Plastic is nice. Good plastic can feel nice. It doesn't shatter or interfere with radio communications. It can absorb shock better than metal or glass. The only real downside that I know of is that it doesn't conduct heat well.

That's a significant downside with the speed of processors increasing and batteries getting bigger.

At what point is the processor fast enough though? I mean my S8 never slows down or hiccups or anything and it is about to be 2 models old. Do we really need smartphones with i7 processor speeds just for Instagram filters and sending dick pics on snapchat? I know a few companies have started with using the phone as a sort of pc tower by making docks and other attachments but I am unsure who they are for. I use my phone all the time to do a wide range of stuff and I have never felt like I wished it was faster. I would much rather have a phone that was good looking and tough then a great looking phone that I never see because I have to keep a case an this fragile glass piece of $800 tech.

It's kind of like thinking 640k will be enough RAM forever. There's probably a ton of AR, AI, and just all-around tasks developers want to put on phones that aren't feasible due to a lack of overall power and, importantly, power efficiency.

Yeah glass kinda sucks no argument here, but every generation of phone ever had its advantages and drawbacks.

Except PCs have all kinds of other uses compared to smartphones. I guess at some point they may be fast enough to be interchangeable but I doubt it. Even if it were possible to miniturize to that extent battery technology is really stagnant and could not hope to provide that kind of juice. Honestly the only reason to really upgrade phones at this point is because they are inherently prone to failure in a 2 to 3 year time frame. If my S8 did not have a failing power modulation chip I don't see any reason to get a newer phone.

I'd argue that most people do far more with their phones than with their PCs. And if I'm being honest, my phone runs Lightroom so much faster than my laptop does that I sometimes wonder if Adobe is just fucking with me.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

I'd argue that most people do far more with their phones than with their PCs. And if I'm being honest, my phone runs Lightroom so much faster than my laptop does that I sometimes wonder if Adobe is just fucking with me.

Only if you ignore everything people do with them for work. PCs and smartphones are not interchangeable. I will agree that people use their smartphones more often, but only because they always have them.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

That was less a direct comparison from PC's to smartphones and more a general descriptor of advancing technology.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Was thinking of the Pixel 3 XL, but I'm reading it has worse battery life than the regular 3. Worse than the 2/2XL as well.

Also, gotta say how useless some reviews are when it comes to battery life. "I was able to get a day and a half of moderate use." Like, what the hell does that even mean?

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Occasional calling, checking Twitter, texting, web browsing. No gaming or videos.

That's always how I read it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    A co-worker says he routinely has 70% battery left on his Pixel XL 3 when he leaves work with moderate/heavy use. Podcasts on the drive to work, texting, email, a couple of phone calls, etc during the day, 30-60 minutes of Netflix at lunch.

Which seems real good. My S8+ is usually down to like 15% at that point.

minor incident on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    A co-worker says he routinely has 70% battery left on his Pixel XL 3 when he leaves work with moderate/heavy use. Podcasts on the drive to work, texting, email, a couple of phone calls, etc during the day, 30-60 minutes of Netflix at lunch.

yeah, but when his XL3 is as old as your S8 we'll see what he gets then.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

yeah, but when his XL3 is as old as your S8 we'll see what he gets then.

True, but my battery life has never been that good.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular

See, that's what I would call light usage (for me), because I'm usually at that much use before I even get to work. My Pixel 2 couldn't get me through most days without having to charge it up a little at some point. Even the Mi Max 3 (with a massive 5500mAh battery) is barely enough to get me through most days.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

I use my phone fairly often throughout the day as I tend to use it as a test device at work, but if I were to compare my Pixel 3 XL to my Pixel 2 XL I would say that the battery life has been just slightly worse. Since having it I think when I get home in the evening it will still usually be at >50%. It's not bad by any means, if you ask me.

The main thing I worry about is if I would be at all stressed making it through a normal day of use, plus some extra just in case. I don't feel like that's something I have to worry about.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    What do we think of the OnePlus 6T?

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

In display fingerprint reader, and the best notch on any phone (that I know of). Looks sliiiiick.

Didn't see wireless charging mentioned which, if it actually doesn't have it, is a huuuuuge bummer for me.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

In display fingerprint reader, and the best notch on any phone (that I know of). Looks sliiiiick.

Didn't see wireless charging mentioned which, if it actually doesn't have it, is a huuuuuge bummer for me.

It does not have it.

On the notch, I'm a bit torn, since I hate the concept of notches as someone who doesn't use front cameras, ever. Just give me a phone without a front camera at all, and no notch, thanks.

One phone I'm really hoping becomes a bit more accessible to the non-China market is the Vivo Nex S, with the popup camera, since if you don't use the camera it just sits retracted in its mechanism and you never have to see it. I mean, look at this screen;

n66gpsu91dkn.png

Ideally, someone else who manufactures for Western markets can come up with a similar mechanism and introduce it into their phones.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    The 6t is also losing the headphone jack. I have a 3t and it's still a pretty sweet phone.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    The 6t is also losing the headphone jack. I have a 3t and it's still a pretty sweet phone.

I believe the loss of the headphone jack was the space saver that allowed them to bump the battery to 3700mah over 3300. That's their assertion, if true I'm on board, as I haven't used a headphone jack in a long time, but I know it's a deal-breaker for a lot of people.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

It does not have it.

On the notch, I'm a bit torn, since I hate the concept of notches as someone who doesn't use front cameras, ever. Just give me a phone without a front camera at all, and no notch, thanks.

One phone I'm really hoping becomes a bit more accessible to the non-China market is the Vivo Nex S, with the popup camera, since if you don't use the camera it just sits retracted in its mechanism and you never have to see it. I mean, look at this screen;

n66gpsu91dkn.png

Ideally, someone else who manufactures for Western markets can come up with a similar mechanism and introduce it into their phones.

Yeah but how can we sell a dongle for it is the real question.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I'd be very concerned about that camera mechanism breaking very quickly.

• Options
    SirToasty wrote: »
    I'd be very concerned about that camera mechanism breaking very quickly.

I've seen it on those breakdown videos and it's pretty robust.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I would also be concerned about it breaking after a longer period of time.

• Options
    SirToasty wrote: »
    I would also be concerned about it breaking after a longer period of time.

Vivo says tested to 30,000 repetitions, and in terms of ruggedness the teardown/breakdown videos weren't able to break it, even holding their finger over the mechanism with some force, or banging it against hard surfaces.

Moving parts are always a concern but it does seem they've done it right.

Regardless, at least for me the durability wouldn't be a concern.

I'd be lucky to hit 30 uses of a front camera in the phone's lifetime, let alone 30,000, and I'd happily take a front camera with some moving parts over a notch or thick top bezel.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    The OnePlus is tempting enough for me to want to consider either leaving Project Fi, or live with the ramifications of a non supported device.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Oneplus 6T would be the first phone I've ever had that I bought outright, rather than on a two year phone contract. Making my first phone of that kind also be my first internationally-imported phone seems ambitious.

• Options
    supposedly the oneplus phones do work on Fi, you just can't activate it

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    The OnePlus phones are usually the same thing. Really good hardware for a couple hundred dollars less than the other flagships, but with the one caveat that the camera is usually just in the "good, not great" category.

If having the best smartphone camera you can get is important, the 6T probably isn't for you. If you're ok with something that'll take pretty good pictures most of the time, but not all of the time, it's a good phone.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    As an object of curiosity, the OnePlus handsets generally seem to stripped-down Oppo handsets (which is...quite ironic, given their branding). Of course, if you don't need the things they're stripping out, that might be exactly what you want in this atrocious race to the $1000 $1500 that Apple has put us on.

That being said--no headphone jack, no MicroSD, no wireless charging--aside from the sub-QHD screen and the okay cameras, which are things I could live with, definitely not the handset for me. Even considering the massive battery, and in-screen fingerprint scanner, which is a cool feature (almost feels like something that they would've stripped out).

• Options
    i have been happy with my camera. but i don't have anything to compare it to.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular

I have an activated Fi sim with my current nexus 5x, but I am a little worried about the impact of not being officially supported. The obvious one is worse coverage depending on the area, but also I guess the visual voicemail doesn't work, and maybe data speeds will be worse without being able to optimize the network being used.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    i mean considering Fi is basically tmobilie, my 3T works great

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Fi in a proper Fi phone will switch between tmobile and sprint.

Fi sim/service in a non Fi phone will only use tmobile. If tmobile coverage in your area is good, than it would be fine.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »

I have an activated Fi sim with my current nexus 5x, but I am a little worried about the impact of not being officially supported. The obvious one is worse coverage depending on the area, but also I guess the visual voicemail doesn't work, and maybe data speeds will be worse without being able to optimize the network being used.

For whatever it's worth, I moved from my 5X to a Pixel XL back in June and I have no regrets with that move. And I got the Pixel XL for under $300 (i.e. Pixel XL "1"); and it most definitely supports full Fi.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm currently using a pretty old phone (Moto X 2nd gen) and the battery is just about done. I'm not a super huge power-user and I've never really liked huge phones, esp. because everything is ergonomically designed for righties and it's already tough enough to hit the send button while holding the phone in my left hand. I have an OG Pixel phone I use for work that I really like and I'm sure I'd love the Pixel 3 but $800 seems kind of steep. Should I try to find a Pixel 2 if I want stock Android and relatively new hardware? Are there other phones out there running stock android and getting android updates as they come in or is that basically limited to Google products?

I'm hoping there are sales around the holidays coming up, but I don't know how much unlocked phones will go on sale; all the good deals will likely be tied to a contract of some kind (Mrs Mittens and I are currently in a family share with my parents and siblings, so that would be off the table).

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    I'm currently using a pretty old phone (Moto X 2nd gen) and the battery is just about done. I'm not a super huge power-user and I've never really liked huge phones, esp. because everything is ergonomically designed for righties and it's already tough enough to hit the send button while holding the phone in my left hand. I have an OG Pixel phone I use for work that I really like and I'm sure I'd love the Pixel 3 but $800 seems kind of steep. Should I try to find a Pixel 2 if I want stock Android and relatively new hardware? Are there other phones out there running stock android and getting android updates as they come in or is that basically limited to Google products?

I'm hoping there are sales around the holidays coming up, but I don't know how much unlocked phones will go on sale; all the good deals will likely be tied to a contract of some kind (Mrs Mittens and I are currently in a family share with my parents and siblings, so that would be off the table).

They actually have a whole bunch of phones branded "Android One" that get stock android and regular updates:
    https://www.android.com/one/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    People on Reddit, for what little that's worth, seem bullish on the LG G6 getting 9.0 eventually....though skipping 8.1, because why not.

It seems like, short of limiting yourself to a very specific selection of handsets, which for me is sort of the whole point of going to Android in the first place, this is normal, or even better than average. Plenty of phones are stuck on 7.0, and my Priv was still on Marshmallow.

On the other hand, there are also people who prefer 8.1 to 9.0, so I'm not in too much of a rush to upgrade.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    The OnePlus phones are usually the same thing. Really good hardware for a couple hundred dollars less than the other flagships, but with the one caveat that the camera is usually just in the "good, not great" category.

If having the best smartphone camera you can get is important, the 6T probably isn't for you. If you're ok with something that'll take pretty good pictures most of the time, but not all of the time, it's a good phone.

Could be worse options for people, they could get the contender for flop of the year handset : The RED Hydrogen One. I was unlucky enough to give this thing a try this morning. What a mess.

• Options
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Could be worse options for people, they could get the contender for flop of the year handset : The RED Hydrogen One. I was unlucky enough to give this thing a try this morning. What a mess.

is it actually as bad as the reviews?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

This is why I'm ok paying the extra for high end phones. I want a great camera because the phone is what I'm using to take pictures of my kid.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »

is it actually as bad as the reviews?

Remember the 3D phones? or the 3DS screen? yeah much worse display actually makes you feel ill. Camera is poor in low light and only so so in ideal conditions. It also is using last years specs and is very difficult to hold and use.

All for a bargain $1399

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    m!ttens wrote: »

They actually have a whole bunch of phones branded "Android One" that get stock android and regular updates:
    https://www.android.com/one/

Hey that's pretty neat I didn't know about that program.

(Does a bit of searching around)
    Oh, none of the good looking phones are available in the US. Cool. Maybe I'll snag a Pixel2 instead. Are the specs on the 3 really worth an extra $150?

• Options
    Yeah, basically just the Nokia 7.1 is available for the US at the moment. Maybe a couple of other random ones.