As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    I'm actually going with the Pixel 3 because I'm not interested in leaving Fi, and the 2 is missing a headphone jack too.

This means I'm in the market for some professional-quality bluetooth headphones/headset, because I sometimes pull call center overtime shifts from home, so I need to be able to charge my phone and take handsfree calls at the same time. Anybody got good suggestions?

I dont think these qualify as professional qualities, but I'm on calls all day basically every day and these earbuds work really well. Havent had an issue with sound or mic quality, lasts all day, and its only like $20.

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/bluetooth/products/blu-delta-bluetooth-earphones

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I'm getting pop up ads on my Note 9. I can't narrow it down to any specific app, they just appear like i'm running a game or something. It's weird. Might have to factory reset the phone which I really dont' wanna do.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    You're not getting any "this app is drawing over other apps" notifications?

If this just started happening I'd probably start looking at the Play Store and see which apps were recently updated and have advertising.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    You're not getting any "this app is drawing over other apps" notifications?

If this just started happening I'd probably start looking at the Play Store and see which apps were recently updated and have advertising.

I forgot apps update and can change the way ads work, derp. Deleted a couple, lets see if that did the trick.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea that's almost always apps displaying ads. I really don't trust free apps that aren't the "big" apps anymore. And even then, sometimes you get an app like ES File Explorer that gets bought and bad things happen to it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    So I'm loving the shit out of my smaller phone. All fears were unjustified. Pixel 3 is a great phone.

• Options
    I think the culprit for the random pop up ads was the imgur app. Haven't had one since I deleted that and it's reviews suggested it was a common issue for people.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I'm having trouble getting photos off the Nexus 7 I gave my kid, which in the past I've had no issues with, and I'm not having any luck finding an answer with google.

I set it to MTP after connecting it to my PC, open the N7 storage folder, but in DCIM where the camera folder with all the pictures are doesn't show up at all, only the thumbnails folder does. Every other folder from the tablet storage root seems to work fine, including a separate Pictures folder created and used by games to store screenshots.

One suggestion I've seen that helped others was creating copies of the pictures in a separate folder since at some point date information sometimes stopped appearing valid to windows, but that didn't work. Windows MTP driver claims to be up to date and working fine. The Nexus 7 is running android 6.0.1, which I thought being older might be an issue but we also have a phone here that was only supported to android 5.1.1 and that still works fine.

Someone also suggest there maybe being something like a... .nomedia file or something, that could hide things? I saw no sign of it with a file explorer but I may not have fully understood that. Every other suggestion/solution was just people not knowing the basic method of transferring files between an android device and a PC at all. I'm not really sure where to look next.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    I'm having trouble getting photos off the Nexus 7 I gave my kid, which in the past I've had no issues with, and I'm not having any luck finding an answer with google.

I set it to MTP after connecting it to my PC, open the N7 storage folder, but in DCIM where the camera folder with all the pictures are doesn't show up at all, only the thumbnails folder does. Every other folder from the tablet storage root seems to work fine, including a separate Pictures folder created and used by games to store screenshots.

One suggestion I've seen that helped others was creating copies of the pictures in a separate folder since at some point date information sometimes stopped appearing valid to windows, but that didn't work. Windows MTP driver claims to be up to date and working fine. The Nexus 7 is running android 6.0.1, which I thought being older might be an issue but we also have a phone here that was only supported to android 5.1.1 and that still works fine.

Someone also suggest there maybe being something like a... .nomedia file or something, that could hide things? I saw no sign of it with a file explorer but I may not have fully understood that. Every other suggestion/solution was just people not knowing the basic method of transferring files between an android device and a PC at all. I'm not really sure where to look next.

You may need to enable hidden files then look for a file literally called ".nomedia". However, this file preference is only respected by android I thought, so windows should not give a damn how many files by that name you have in there. Does the phone accept SD cards? If so it might be easiest just to transfer them. If not you can use wifi beam to transfer files very quickly between android phones. Much faster then Bluetooth. I am guessing there is a file in there that windows does not like for some reason so you could also try moving maybe 5 or 10 photos at a time to a new folder until you get to the one that is causing the issue.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    It does not have an SD card slot unfortunately. I've tried dropping random single photos into a new folder, but none of them have shown up.

I've never actually heard of Wifi Beam. Is that something part of android or a separate app to go get?

edit: oh that uses the hardware for things like android pay, I think her nexus 7 might be the only device in the house with that. I thought my phone did when I got it, but it turned out only the UK version did :|

Ranlin on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    *Grump* My new Pixel 3 XL has been an hour away since yesterday and the shipping details just updated to add an extra day to the delivery estimate...

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Apparently Samsung released their roadmap on future tech and are doubling down on the whole "fuck the notch" stuff, including behind the screen cameras, fingerprint readers, face sensors, using the screen as a speaker and surface-level haptic feedback.

I for one am pleased to see at least one company not give in to this trend.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I like Samsung's design and innovation, however I have no interest in using Touchwiz. Just give me a clean Android with as little bloat as possible.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I like Samsung's design and innovation, however I have no interest in using Touchwiz. Just give me a clean Android with as little bloat as possible.

I agree, but at least Touchwiz has gotten pretty snappy. I still prefer the Google launcher, but Touchwiz is better than it used to be.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I'm going to have to return my damn Pixel because my wife wants one and project fi is doing a credit if you add new pixels to at least one new line. Both pixels have to be bought from the fi store not the Google store where I got mine and the delivery timeline looks like I'll have to return this, use my 2 XL again (thank God I didn't mail the trade in) and then get the new 3 and set that up again. The things I do for my wife.

The insult to injury? The phones are being fulfilled by the Google store.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Apparently Samsung released their roadmap on future tech and are doubling down on the whole "fuck the notch" stuff, including behind the screen cameras, fingerprint readers, face sensors, using the screen as a speaker and surface-level haptic feedback.

I thought everyone understood that the notch is a stopgap and that, eventually, the goal was everything behind the screen. I'm almost positive Samsung isn't the only one working on this. All they are doing is skipping the (short) notch phase, but by the time they start rolling out all of this stuff other companies will be too. I mean it's good that you can still choose between a bezel or a notch for the next year+, but I think everyone agrees that behind the screen is the "future."

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »

I thought everyone understood that the notch is a stopgap and that, eventually, the goal was everything behind the screen. I'm almost positive Samsung isn't the only one working on this. All they are doing is skipping the (short) notch phase, but by the time they start rolling out all of this stuff other companies will be too. I mean it's good that you can still choose between a bezel or a notch for the next year+, but I think everyone agrees that behind the screen is the "future."

Yes, but I feel a few companies are using the notch as a crutch.

With Apples recent complete near grinding halt of tech advancements it makes me wonder if they'll be the last to do so, especially since they can't sell a dongle to put things in-display.

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    I bought the new Razer phone and it works great on my Project Fi sim.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Just a passing observation, now that I've had the 3XL in my hand most of the day: I stopped even noticing the notch almost immediately.

I guess you can "disable" it in developer settings but I didn't bother. Androids default setting is to change the color of the areas on either side of the notch to whatever the frame color of the app you're using is.

Which tends to be black.

Even the apps that didn't, it just disappears from what my brain registers as something that stands out.

I'm definitely not saying this would be true for everyone; but having never dealt with a notch, personally, in anything other than screenshots and youtube videos, and concluding prior to buying the 3XL that, while not ideal, I didn't think it was the biggest issue in the world, in less than a day it just faded away as a thing that even exists.

In fact the only time I notice it, is when I'm holding the phone weirdly (as I'm wont to do) and reaching my fingers from the top down to use the screen (it is very hard to explain but for whatever reason it just is how I use my phone sometimes), the edge of my finger/palm will touch the very top of the screen, which is now the very top of the phone, and drag down the notification bar. So that will take some adjusting to.

Other than that, it's a phone!

I had a very specific set of requirements to finally replace my Nexus 6 (can't believe it lasted 4 damn years), and it met every one. In function it is exactly what I was used to, just a little slicker of a UI (minus the idiotic decision to make every app icon a circle, whether the app icon was or not, making a bunch a tiny picture in a sold color circle which looks dumb as shit), and dramatically better performance.

So I'm pretty happy! In practice, if I subtract the screen space on the side of the notch, it's actually a slightly smaller screen than the nexus 6 (EDIT: to clarify, the amount of space the phone can use in the display, even not including the notch region, is a good bit larger than the screen of the Nexus 6; google news, for instance, had the vertical space to display a whole extra headline, which was nice. Just dimensions wise, the Nexus 6 has a physically larger screen. Also, and it is because the aspect ratio and not the notch as I've seen other Samsung phones with the narrow ratio that put black bars on a lot of videos, which is problematic, but not 3XL specific problem), but that is in part due to it being more narrow and having a different aspect ratio. The screen has a lot "colder" of colors which will take a bit of getting used to, but honestly I think that is just due to the age of the nexus 6 and all the burn-in it has. Battery seems fine; for a power user it'll be on the weak side, but given that my Nexus 6 hasn't had it's battery last even half it's life in a year or two now before shutting down, it's still better than what I've been dealing with. I already had Project fi as my service provider since fi launched (back when you had to apply to get it), and now there's not even a sim card, it just set up my phone automatically. All my apps, games, etc carried over all their saves, files, and settings, so "setup" of the new phone was literally just plugging the 3XL into the Nexus 6, waiting a short bit for the transfer and that's it.

In fact it was almost anticlimactic. I kind of expected more fiddling but nope.

Also my kids thought the live wallpaper of the earth that is (supposedly anyway) supposed to display accurate weather patterns and rotation, was the coolest thing in history.

Hopefully I get 4 years out of this one too.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited October 2018
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    The article has this update from Google:
    Google got back to us. The Pixel 3 does not support 10W Qi charging at all. It supports 10W wireless charging, and it supports the Qi wireless charging standard, but these are two different things. Qi is capped at 5W, and for 10W wireless charging, you need a charger with what Belkin calls "Google's 10W proprietary wireless charging technology."
    So, that sounds completely fine, and the original article authors didn't quite dig deep enough when writing the original version of the article?

The update also lists a 3rd party charger that's been approved for 10W wireless charging (a Belkin device), but it's still very expensive at $60.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Not supporting Qi 10W charging is kind of shitty, man. Especially when it is purposely left out so you can include a different, proprietary 10W charging prototcol.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Speaking of Qi charging--but, well, slow ancient (5 years old!) 5W charging, does anyone have a stand form-factor Qi charger they'd recommend?

The last one I bought, a Turbot 3-coil design, is "wearing out" (I guess for a $20 unit, that's not that disappointing, were it a $50 stand I'd expect it to last longer)--within the last week or so, leaving my phone on it causes it to audibly disconnect and not always reconnect. It used to only happen once during an overnight charge, but now it seems to happen in an hour or so, which can be problematic for charging if it doesn't reconnect.

Hopefully it's not my phone, but I'd like to rule that out quickly. I'd grab a TYLT Vu--I really liked it for my Lumia 830 back in the day, but it was slightly too large and I ended up eBay'ing mine to get the Turbot design, and they're hard to get in black, the best color.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Got a pair of the new pixel usb-c buds. They seem nice in terms of sound quality (as good as my cheapo buds + usb-c to 3.5mm adapter, maybe a bit better but I'm no audiophile), haven't used them for a call yet but everything else is nice on them. Inline volume controls, play/pause button which you can double tap for skip track or long hold to launch assistant, and they sit pretty comfortably in the ear. I'm more irked that I had to put down $30 and that they weren't included with the pixel 2s back when they removed the jack to begin with, but for what you get they seem pretty solid.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Not supporting Qi 10W charging is kind of shitty, man. Especially when it is purposely left out so you can include a different, proprietary 10W charging prototcol.
    From what I understand, that's not what's going on here.

They're not saying "Qi 10W charging is part of the standard, but we left it out because $$$ dolla dolla bill y'all $$$"

They're saying "Qi, as a standard, maxes out at 5W, so Qi 10W is not a thing that exists".

The Wikipedia page for Qi has this to say:
    The low-power specification delivers up to 5 W (typically used to charge mobile devices), and the medium-power specification will deliver up to 120 W (typically used to power displays and laptops). In 2015, WPC demonstrated a high-power specification that will deliver up to 1 kW, allowing the powering of kitchen utensils among other high-power utilities.
    So, it sounds like the medium-power spec is too high for use with cellphones, and the low-power spec maxes out at 5W. If that's correct, then Google isn't throttling anything, they're actually just sticking to the spec (and also providing a proprietary higher-power alternative for people who are interested in that).

Mind you, I have no personal experience with/knowledge of Qi charging, so all of this is based on some cursory web searches.

• Options
    I actually bought the pixel wired USB-C buds just to screw around with, and I find that they sound like garbage. Now, I'm fully aware that these are $30 earbuds and the next cheapest pair of headphones I own are about $100, but I just can't believe how bad the pixel wired buds sound.

Everything sounds super muddy to me, especially in voice and mids. the highs are actually ok, and I didn't expect much in the way of bass, but my god I listen to a lot of podcasts and these are awful.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Qi 10W is a thing that exists and is supported by other phones and charging pads. 7.5W is generally the slowest accepted "fast" Qi charging pad. 5W is relatively old and slowwww.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I actually bought the pixel wired USB-C buds just to screw around with, and I find that they sound like garbage. Now, I'm fully aware that these are $30 earbuds and the next cheapest pair of headphones I own are about $100, but I just can't believe how bad the pixel wired buds sound.

Everything sounds super muddy to me, especially in voice and mids. the highs are actually ok, and I didn't expect much in the way of bass, but my god I listen to a lot of podcasts and these are awful.

It's about on par with my cheapass $20 headset I use for work on the PC. I think they'd sound a bit better if they actually sealed the ear canal, but for what's basically their pack-in headphones they're adequate.

• Options
    Qi 10W is a thing that exists and is supported by other phones and charging pads. 7.5W is generally the slowest accepted "fast" Qi charging pad. 5W is relatively old and slowwww.

I did some reading, and apparently proper Qi is limited to 5W currently. I think anything that charges faster "adds on" to the Qi spec, while not actually being part of the spec.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

That's kind of hilarious. I remember USB-C earbuds sucking out loud when they first came out, compared to 3.5mm alternatives of the same price, but the fact that this is still true...

• Options
    edited October 2018

I did some reading, and apparently proper Qi is limited to 5W currently. I think anything that charges faster "adds on" to the Qi spec, while not actually being part of the spec.

A standard and an formal spec aren't necessarily the same thing. >5W may not be part of the official Qi spec (I don't know if it is), but that doesn't really matter, as it's a standard every other phone and charger has settled on that Google is bucking in favor of their own proprietary standard.

That's not a good thing.

minor incident on
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

That's kind of hilarious. I remember USB-C earbuds sucking out loud when they first came out, compared to 3.5mm alternatives of the same price, but the fact that this is still true...

Nah, I don't know about that specifically. I generally think *any* $30 pair of headphones will sound like garbage. I'd never use these for every day listening, but I bought them just to thest the USB-C-ness of them, as well as the Google assistant stuff that works with them.

fun fact: they also work with my laptop.

• Options

Nah, I don't know about that specifically. I generally think *any* $30 pair of headphones will sound like garbage. I'd never use these for every day listening, but I bought them just to thest the USB-C-ness of them, as well as the Google assistant stuff that works with them.

my new work laptop also has USB-C but I haven't had a chance to set it up yet, I'm curious to see if they sound better on that vs the pixel 2.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

my new work laptop also has USB-C but I haven't had a chance to set it up yet, I'm curious to see if they sound better on that vs the pixel 2.

I didn't find that to be the case. Shitty drivers are still shitty drivers, doesn't matter what the plug or source is.

• Options
    Have a new Galaxy S8 Active on the way. I am just so fucking rough on phones, never had one make it longer then a year. Not always my fault but it happens. Hoping this time to put a case and tempered glass on it since the screen is actually flat.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Have a new Galaxy S8 Active on the way. I am just so fucking rough on phones, never had one make it longer then a year. Not always my fault but it happens. Hoping this time to put a case and tempered glass on it since the screen is actually flat.
    Even if you're not rough on the phone accidents happen. Within two weeks of owning my first smartphone my ~9 m/o nephew kicked it out of my hand doing baby things on the bed. It flew three feet laterally and took about a four foot drop. Thankfully it was in a bulky case and survived unscathed.

Of course now a bunch of geniuses think phones should be made of glass, there is a bunch of bullshit about "premium" feel, and the obsession with no bezels (especially on the top and bottom of the phones) have made them extra fragile (your OLED display usually has an invisible bend inside the phone on the bottom and that area is very fragile...now with 80% less chin so it can be subjected to more force when dropped).

Plastic is nice. Good plastic can feel nice. It doesn't shatter or interfere with radio communications. It can absorb shock better than metal or glass. The only real downside that I know of is that it doesn't conduct heat well.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Even if you're not rough on the phone accidents happen. Within two weeks of owning my first smartphone my ~9 m/o nephew kicked it out of my hand doing baby things on the bed. It flew three feet laterally and took about a four foot drop. Thankfully it was in a bulky case and survived unscathed.

Of course now a bunch of geniuses think phones should be made of glass, there is a bunch of bullshit about "premium" feel, and the obsession with no bezels (especially on the top and bottom of the phones) have made them extra fragile (your OLED display usually has an invisible bend inside the phone on the bottom and that area is very fragile...now with 80% less chin so it can be subjected to more force when dropped).

Plastic is nice. Good plastic can feel nice. It doesn't shatter or interfere with radio communications. It can absorb shock better than metal or glass. The only real downside that I know of is that it doesn't conduct heat well.

That's a significant downside with the speed of processors increasing and batteries getting bigger.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

That's a significant downside with the speed of processors increasing and batteries getting bigger.

At what point is the processor fast enough though? I mean my S8 never slows down or hiccups or anything and it is about to be 2 models old. Do we really need smartphones with i7 processor speeds just for Instagram filters and sending dick pics on snapchat? I know a few companies have started with using the phone as a sort of pc tower by making docks and other attachments but I am unsure who they are for. I use my phone all the time to do a wide range of stuff and I have never felt like I wished it was faster. I would much rather have a phone that was good looking and tough then a great looking phone that I never see because I have to keep a case an this fragile glass piece of $800 tech.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

At what point is the processor fast enough though? I mean my S8 never slows down or hiccups or anything and it is about to be 2 models old. Do we really need smartphones with i7 processor speeds just for Instagram filters and sending dick pics on snapchat? I know a few companies have started with using the phone as a sort of pc tower by making docks and other attachments but I am unsure who they are for. I use my phone all the time to do a wide range of stuff and I have never felt like I wished it was faster. I would much rather have a phone that was good looking and tough then a great looking phone that I never see because I have to keep a case an this fragile glass piece of $800 tech.

Realistically we're probably not close to this being a thing.

It's kind of like thinking 640k will be enough RAM forever. There's probably a ton of AR, AI, and just all-around tasks developers want to put on phones that aren't feasible due to a lack of overall power and, importantly, power efficiency.

Yeah glass kinda sucks no argument here, but every generation of phone ever had its advantages and drawbacks.