As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Stellaris] - Paradox does space strategy - Le Guin, Megacorps - DECEMBER 6th

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm super looking forward to role playing out all my favorite corporate dystopian hellholes on a galactic scale.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Damn, was super hoping this would be that diplomacy expansion. Guess we'll need to wait another year.

Just give me a way of convincing different races to stop hating each other so I can make actual Federations, gull darnit.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Prosper and Profit on a Galactic Scale
    Stellaris: MegaCorp is the latest full expansion for Paradox Development Studio’s iconic sci-fi grand strategy game, which has players ushering in an era of prosperity and profit on a galactic scale. In this economy-focused expansion, players can become the CEO of a powerful corporate empire to expand operations across the stars.

MAIN FEATURES

CORPORATE CULTURE
    Chief Executive Officers of a MegaCorp can conduct business on a galaxy-wide scale with a host of new civics. By building Branch Offices on planets within empires they have trade agreements with, the MegaCorp can add a portion of the planet’s Trade Value to their own network. Using the new Corporate Authority, construct an economic powerhouse and dominate galactic trade - for a brighter future.

CITY WORLD
    With Ecumenopolis, players can increase the population density of core worlds to truly epic proportions, eventually creating a planet-spanning megacity.

CARAVANEER FLEETS
    Keep an eye out for the Caravaneers, nomadic interstellar wheelers-and-dealers who stay aloof from galactic politics, and always have a bargain up their sleeve. Expect surprises when these master traders wander through your space or when you visit their home systems.

MORE MEGASTRUCTURES
    Budget has been approved for your own glorious Matter Decompressor, Mega-Art Installation or Strategic Coordination Center to acquire new scaling capabilities for your megalopolis.

GALATIC SLAVE MARKET
    Buy and sell pops on an industrial scale, set them free or keep them as livestock. The choice is yours!

VIP STATUS COMES WITH ITS PERKS
    Keep your economy competitive in a cutthroat galaxy with additional Ascension perks!

So, it sounds like MegaCorp = Space Merchant Republic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    No release date is kind of a bummer given how quickly Distant Stars hit after its announcement.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Damn, was super hoping this would be that diplomacy expansion. Guess we'll need to wait another year.

Capitalism is the true diplomacy. Get everyone in the galaxy hooked on Anime and Playstations and they'll line up at your door of their own free will.

• Options
    Newsletter says they've also updated the species pack and Distant Stars.
    Humanoids Species Pack
    Working in collaboration with celebrated community modder Silfae, the Humanoid Species Pack for Stellaris has received a set of new customization options for empire creation. Six humanoid species have each received five hairstyles in both male and female versions. Additionally, royalty themed clothing is now available for Humans, Humanoids, and Mammalians.

Distant Stars Story Pack
    Stellaris: Distant Stars Story Pack, released in May 2018, introduced a host of new anomalies and storylines hidden in the deepest, darkest reaches of the galaxy. Through extensive community feedback and iteration on the content, Distant Stars now receives a major free upgrade for intrepid explorers of the galaxy.

Now with new anomaly outcomes, additional storylines, and expansion of existing events including the enigmatic L-Cluster, exploring these gateways holds even more mystery and intrigue. Will you boldly go, or are the ancient secrets of the galaxy best left alone?

These additions are available now at no extra cost in the Humanoid Species Pack and the Distant Stars Story Pack and, if you already own this pack, the content is available free of charge. If not, they're now on sale at the Paradox Store!

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular

Just give me a way of convincing different races to stop hating each other so I can make actual Federations, gull darnit.

I suspect that we’ll be glad this happened first. A diplomacy expansion will have more incentive structures to hook into with the overhaul to economics/planetary stability/crime.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Stellaris: MegaCorp is the latest full expansion for Paradox Development Studio’s iconic sci-fi grand strategy game, which has players ushering in an era of prosperity and profit on a galactic scale. In this economy-focused expansion, players can become the CEO of a powerful corporate empire to expand operations across the stars.

MAIN FEATURES

CORPORATE CULTURE
    Chief Executive Officers of a MegaCorp can conduct business on a galaxy-wide scale with a host of new civics. By building Branch Offices on planets within empires they have trade agreements with, the MegaCorp can add a portion of the planet’s Trade Value to their own network. Using the new Corporate Authority, construct an economic powerhouse and dominate galactic trade - for a brighter future.

CITY WORLD
    With Ecumenopolis, players can increase the population density of core worlds to truly epic proportions, eventually creating a planet-spanning megacity.

CARAVANEER FLEETS
    Keep an eye out for the Caravaneers, nomadic interstellar wheelers-and-dealers who stay aloof from galactic politics, and always have a bargain up their sleeve. Expect surprises when these master traders wander through your space or when you visit their home systems.

MORE MEGASTRUCTURES
    Budget has been approved for your own glorious Matter Decompressor, Mega-Art Installation or Strategic Coordination Center to acquire new scaling capabilities for your megalopolis.

GALATIC SLAVE MARKET
    Buy and sell pops on an industrial scale, set them free or keep them as livestock. The choice is yours!

Keep your economy competitive in a cutthroat galaxy with additional Ascension perks!

Wait, is megacorp a new civic or? I didn't watch any of the streams and I don't recall it coming up before.

More to the point: Is it compatible with "thems of the ro-butt race"?

I will be kind of bummed if my network of sentient, self-replicating vending machines and kiosks cannot structure themselves as a corporation.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    It's a totally new announcement, no hint of it was mentioned on the streams outside of the vague announcement date.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

MAIN FEATURES

CORPORATE CULTURE

CITY WORLD

CARAVANEER FLEETS

MORE MEGASTRUCTURES

GALATIC SLAVE MARKET

Wait, is megacorp a new civic or? I didn't watch any of the streams and I don't recall it coming up before.

More to the point: Is it compatible with "thems of the ro-butt race"?

I will be kind of bummed if my network of sentient, self-replicating vending machines and kiosks cannot structure themselves as a corporation.

MegaCorps are a new form of government. So after Democratic, Oligarchic, Dictatorial, Imperial, Biological Hive Mind, and Machine Empire, there will now also be a MegaCorp government form. They have their own unique Civics and gameplay mechanics.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Donnicton wrote: »

Capitalism is the true diplomacy. Get everyone in the galaxy hooked on Anime and Playstations and they'll line up at your door of their own free will.

There is something deeply fitting about them focusing on Trade before Diplomacy.

Anywho, watching the stream, they've added a new type of Enclave/NPC faction that's basically space Los Vegas. You have to buy a specific currency from them, and can either gamble with it, or buy a Reliquary of random items.

Yes, you literally buy a premium currency to open a lootbox. (All in-game, of course.)

The first one they opened on the stream was empty. :biggrin:

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Newsletter says they've also updated the species pack and Distant Stars.
    Humanoids Species Pack
    Working in collaboration with celebrated community modder Silfae, the Humanoid Species Pack for Stellaris has received a set of new customization options for empire creation. Six humanoid species have each received five hairstyles in both male and female versions. Additionally, royalty themed clothing is now available for Humans, Humanoids, and Mammalians.

Distant Stars Story Pack
    Stellaris: Distant Stars Story Pack, released in May 2018, introduced a host of new anomalies and storylines hidden in the deepest, darkest reaches of the galaxy. Through extensive community feedback and iteration on the content, Distant Stars now receives a major free upgrade for intrepid explorers of the galaxy.

Now with new anomaly outcomes, additional storylines, and expansion of existing events including the enigmatic L-Cluster, exploring these gateways holds even more mystery and intrigue. Will you boldly go, or are the ancient secrets of the galaxy best left alone?

These additions are available now at no extra cost in the Humanoid Species Pack and the Distant Stars Story Pack and, if you already own this pack, the content is available free of charge. If not, they're now on sale at the Paradox Store!

But can we use the L-Cluster as an off shore bank?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I haven't actually done the L-Cluster since they supposedly added more outcomes once you open it.

I've done several games and haven't seen a single damn L gate.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I just had a game where none of the L-Gate research events fired despite me having an L-Gate in my territory. Once I got it open, it was empty.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Can I be a capitalist caretaker robot race? I'd love to lure the meatbags to my paradise zoos with better washing machines and blue jeans.

• Options
    Can I be a capitalist caretaker robot race? I'd love to lure the meatbags to my paradise zoos with better washing machines and blue jeans.

I think you have to be a machine intelligence to be rogue servitors. At which point you can't be a MegaCorp.

• Options

I think you have to be a machine intelligence to be rogue servitors. At which point you can't be a MegaCorp.

Awwww!

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

You can be robots without being machine intelligences, though. They're just not networked machines.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I think a fun start scenario would be a cluster of countries, all starting slightly closer to one another than default, all the same race. Thought being that mother planet sent off several ark ships to explore the stars, each one with slightly different authorities and civics (a couple megacorps, a megachurch or two, maybe colonization from a few of the more powerful nation-states). Maybe some of the colonies can be pre-FTL countries to signify failed colonies due to disease, inhospitability, civil war, etc.

It'd be interesting to see if there is more or less warfare due to the close proximity but same species. Maybe a Space HRE would develop? I could definitely create all the different countries but getting the geographical placement would be tricky (unless that's something that can be modded?) and I don't know if you can build pre-FTL civilizations.

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Exactly as planned.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Listen, if you can make your horse Pope, you should at least be able to make your toaster President.

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I remember one game The Exile became president of my planets, which I thought was a miraculous stroke of luck. But the sentient starship? hahaha how does it even have a political entity assigned to it?

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    skyknyt wrote: »
    I remember one game The Exile became president of my planets, which I thought was a miraculous stroke of luck. But the sentient starship? hahaha how does it even have a political entity assigned to it?

It’s its own admiral.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    its like Big D from shadowrun. Are you going be the one to tell the Dragon/Battleship it cant run for President?

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Hey, is there a bug where if a CPU is fighting two different wars, and it's territory is being split between them, it won't be able to suffer enough damage per war to lose it?

I'm currently looking at a two empire alliance that has been, as far as I can tell, completely conquered. I can't find a single planet that isn't occupied or a single system that isn't in the control of another nation.. but the war won't end. There's nothing left to shoot.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Hey, is there a bug where if a CPU is fighting two different wars, and it's territory is being split between them, it won't be able to suffer enough damage per war to lose it?

I'm currently looking at a two empire alliance that has been, as far as I can tell, completely conquered. I can't find a single planet that isn't occupied or a single system that isn't in the control of another nation.. but the war won't end. There's nothing left to shoot.

I've seen similar states a couple times in my own plays. Eventually the sheer weariness-over-time thing will close it out but it might be a while.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    I've also had that happen with the Prethoryn queen.

Just a big eyeball running the empire.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I am planning on playing this when LeGuin comes out. Based on past sale patterns am I more likely to get the already issued DLC cheaper during a sale near to when LeGuin is released or in the current Paradox sale?

• Options
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    I am planning on playing this when LeGuin comes out. Based on past sale patterns am I more likely to get the already issued DLC cheaper during a sale near to when LeGuin is released or in the current Paradox sale?

Paradox sales tend to be pretty equivalent when it comes to prices, based more on age than any specific promotion. That's not to say there won't be another price drop, but usually you'll find the same percentage off at each sale.

• Options
    edited October 2018

Apparently the pirate RNG stuff is being redone so Empire Cohesion is becoming a thing to prevent snaking empires.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    If interbreeding doesn't somehow get figured in to the Observation Station outcomes / events, and Cohesion isn't modified by being a Feudal State, I will be disappointed.

• Options
    If you want to get caught up on your Stellaris DLC, or want to join in on the space empire fun, then there's a Halloween sale going on till the 1st of November! The base game is 60% off, older DLC is 40-50% off, and the newer stuff is 25-33% off.

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/on-sale/

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    The feeling that there's always a big overhaul of the game just around the corner really discourages me from ever actually playing stellaris. Makes it feel like the current version of the game is always old and busted. Also the "hundred DLCs" business model is very annoying and expensive. Even on sale, looking at the price of all the stuff I haven't bought makes me just go "you know what I think I'll just not play stellaris instead." Maybe that's just me.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The feeling that there's always a big overhaul of the game just around the corner really discourages me from ever actually playing stellaris. Makes it feel like the current version of the game is always old and busted. Also the "hundred DLCs" business model is very annoying and expensive. Even on sale, looking at the price of all the stuff I haven't bought makes me just go "you know what I think I'll just not play stellaris instead." Maybe that's just me.

It's the Paradox model, it is an issue, and I have made peace with it over the years. I am currently avoiding the game until the diplomacy expansions come out, since that is where I feel the game needs the most work.

But I also realize that the model is the reason why Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4 keep getting expansions years down the road. I've listened to developers on podcasts who say that while the current model does make it far more difficult to develop a sequel to the game, there are areas of the game and world that the studio never would have been able to touch had they used a more traditional release schedule.

• Options
    I say that but I've put the things I don't have in my cart and am staring longingly at the checkout button

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    no it's NOT awesome damn you enablers

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    There's a big pack of Stellaris DLC (Everything except Distant Stars) on Steam for $70. I think it's one of the ones that gives you a discount if you already have some of the DLC. There's a big Steam sale coming up so it might get discounted by then, so discounts on discounts.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/6186/Stellaris_Ascension_Pack/

Base game sold separately, of course.

EDIT: Also, This is a game that'll real suck up your time so, for me at least, it's easy, once I did the initial buy-in, to go "Oh, 10/20 bucks for more content? Don't mind if I do!" every half-dozen months or so.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    hmm well I've been thwarted by international banking problems I guess, my bank doesn't like the look of those shifty swedish businesses.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I've also had that happen with the Prethoryn queen.

Just a big eyeball running the empire.

And I thought my Marauder refugee getting repeatedly elected was a funny oddity.