Options

The only good movie thread is a dead [movie] thread

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    You guys joke, but my coworker literally saw it because he thought it was a Hellboy prequel.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    You guys joke, but my coworker literally saw it because he thought it was a Hellboy prequel.

I'm okay with this headcanon.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I haven’t seen The Shape of Water yet but I assume it’s a sequel to A Fish Called Wanda, right?

More of a Finding Nemo spinoff.

grinding nemo

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I think the best example of a shitty performance winning Best Actress is Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side.

Not a good movie. Not a good performance.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Finding Nemo And Then Fucking Him

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

it's definitely very similar to Abe Sapien's origin, except with a thirsty cleaning woman instead of Hellboy
    tumblr_owbwupPNEU1tag0azo1_540.jpg
    tumblr_owbwupPNEU1tag0azo2_540.jpg
    tumblr_owbwupPNEU1tag0azo3_540.jpg

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Hobnail wrote: »
    What about

Critters

critters 2 is a perfect film and i will fight anyone who disagrees

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Got a ticket to see A Fantastic Woman tomorrow night at a single screen indie theater about 40 miles away, I can’t wait

I love that theater, I’ve only been there twice though, first for I’m Not There (which was bad) and then again for The Wrestler (which was incredible)

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    The shape of water colour scheme and aesthetic reminded me of bioshock. I think this made me love it even more.

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    The shape of water colour scheme and aesthetic reminded me of bioshock. I think this made me love it even more.

There's definitely a lot of that sort of retro-futurism and art deco design work that looks really fantastic.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I just saw Annihilation and I have some Thoughts, but they're probably not that well formed yet. I do appreciate that the screenplay mostly stayed true to the essence of the book without attempting to be a literal adaptation, which makes it easier to treat each as their own beast.

Also Natalie Portman did an amazing job, which is not a sentence I think I've ever typed before.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I find your endorsement most reassuring

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I just saw Annihilation and I have some Thoughts, but they're probably not that well formed yet. I do appreciate that the screenplay mostly stayed true to the essence of the book without attempting to be a literal adaptation, which makes it easier to treat each as their own beast.

Also Natalie Portman did an amazing job, which is not a sentence I think I've ever typed before.

When I heard about the bolded I let out a sigh of relief. I had no idea how they were going to do a literal adaptation of the book/series.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Garland says he wrote the script after reading the book once and didn’t consult it while writing. “A dream movie about a dream novel,” he said (or something to that effect)

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2018
    ok having walked home, some not-really-but-slightly-more-spoilery-thoughts
    I'm trying very hard not to compare the movie and book, because I really do think they're two different things, but it's hard not to let my feelings about the book colour the movie. I think watching the film then reading the book might produce a better effect?

So for me the book is characterized by massive ambiguity, which plays out on several levels. I'd say the main thematic difference between the two pieces of media is that the movie has far less.

- some of the ambiguity had to be lost in order to film the book at all, and overall I liked a lot of those choices. The visual iconography was fantastic, though I would have appreciated more indulgently beautiful scenes, like the one of the fish from the boat - it would have made more play off that gorgeous/deadly dichotomy. I also thought the on-the-fly pseudo-physics explanation of how the phenomena was affecting the plants and animals was rather charming, and the way the cinematography played with that idea by shooting through plastic and glass and windows was really neat.
    - some ambiguity was lost in creating a tighter, more self-contained and narratively structured story. I'm a bit more on the fence about that, but probably it was necessary to squeeze the book into a single film AND have people actually come and see it
    - and the part I'm least on board with is that they dropped a lot of the moral ambiguity. The book is dripping with it - the characters and their motivations and their actions; the way the Biologist and through her, us, relate to the landscape; the behaviour and nature of the bureaucracy driving the expeditions - and much of that was dropped, or at best hinted at. It felt like someone somewhere down the line just didn't trust the audience, and maybe they were right not to, but I think the opportunity was there to create a really morally complex piece of cinema, and they kind of bailed.

so I think it was nearly an amazing movie, but thanks largely to the last bit (not trusting the audience) it fell a bit short of the mark. Interesting, but not nearly as affecting or novel as it could have been

tynic on
  • Options
    Garland says he wrote the script after reading the book once and didn’t consult it while writing. “A dream movie about a dream novel,” he said (or something to that effect)

That actually feels like a pretty good way to go about it in this case. Almost like the script is a fever dream remembrance of the book.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I just watched Annihilation with my best friend, and it was very good and also terrifying and I will almost certainly never watch it again.

I am, however, now very interested in the books (particularly the sequel).

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I just got home from Red Sparrow

Red Sparrow is very bad

• Options
    I just got home from Red Sparrow

Red Sparrow is very bad

The trailer definitely gave me a strong suspicion that it would be.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the funny thing about the trailers for red sparrow is they don't tell you how it's going to be so bad

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited March 2018
    the funny thing about the trailers for red sparrow is they don't tell you how it's going to be so bad

I'm very curious to know the details

Also, I couldn't help myself and looked up the summaries for the Area X books

Man, the Annihilation novel is almost completely different. And knowing my own taste in stories, my gut says I would end up feeling very frustrated with the series.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Red Sparrow, aside from being wildly problematic with all regards to sex and consent and female agency, is just really boring and confusing

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Finally got around to seeing Jesus Christ Superstar at the vehement behest of my husband and sister. We watched the version with Tim Minchin. It was alright!

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I think it’s hilarious that the trailers for red sparrow tried to sell me on this crazy new idea of a sexy spy using her feminine wiles to kill people

That was the whole pitch.

“You haven’t seen this before! It’s crazy, she seduces dudes but she’s a killer can you believe it???”

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    From what I understand, the movie TRIES to drill into the sexual aspect and highlight how shitty it is that it's a staple of the spy genre
    But in practice it just sounds miserable and boring

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    ahahaha whoopsie!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Goose! wrote: »

Yeah? Well ... you know, that's just like ah ... your opinion, man.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I think it's nice that Disney hasn't become such an out of touch behemoth that it can still theive from regular humans

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

How good is John Goodman in that film

“My dirty undies, Dude.

The whites.”

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Big Lebowski is another movie I ever really liked. I wish I did because I feel like an alien whenever anyone brings it up.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

“My dirty undies, Dude.

The whites.”

Personally, my favorite thing about that film is the Network TV-ification of the swearing in the scene where he smashes the car. It's second only to what they did to the "Yippie-ki-yay motherfucker" one from Die Hard.

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    My friends and I went to Lebowski Fest in Louisville one year back in like 2005 or 2006, and we ended up getting interviewed for some documentary some guy was filming that eventually ended up as a special feature on the 10th anniversary edition dvd. However, we were lazy about sending in our release forms and we had to settle for just having our names included in the "Special Thanks" section of the credits.

Still pretty cool though. Big Lebowski is one of my favorite movies.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options

“My dirty undies, Dude.

The whites.”

Personally, my favorite thing about that film is the Network TV-ification of the swearing in the scene where he smashes the car. It's second only to what they did to the "Yippie-ki-yay motherfucker" one from Die Hard.

You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
  • Options
    It's okay Disney. I made you a new, totally original, totally not plagiarized movie poster for your Solo movie thing. Royalty free.

71yjk6da1b2h.jpg

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    God I would love to have lunch with Laura Dern. I don't even know her from anything except Jurassic Park.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'd be all WHAT WAS THE T-REX LIKE TO WORK WITH?

This discussion has been closed.