Options

The only good movie thread is a dead [movie] thread

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

Oh look there's 3 more I hadn't seen yet.

I wasn't as annoyed about these as others, but fucking Bullitt?

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    My understanding of RPO is that it's every guy who's challenged a woman's geeky credentials, personified.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    My understanding of RPO is that it's every guy who's challenged a woman's geeky credentials, personified.

*thinks for a bit

Yeah. Yeah it is.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The Bullitt one makes the least sense
    Even if you were a nerdy teen in the actual 80s I doubt you'd seen Bullitt

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

I wasn't as annoyed about these as others, but fucking Bullitt?

I don't think bullitt is even mentioned in the book

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I think the marketing looks terrible to most of us because we are not the target.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

I've said it elsewhere but it's a book written entirely around the concept that being that guy who hangs around a comic shop and substitutes pop culture references and minutia for actual conversation is so important that it'll save the world.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Bullitt is definitely a movie for "car guys", and while there's some crossover between nerds and "car guys" (hello!), it's not super common.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

My Dad made me watch it for the chase scene, but agree 100%.

That poster embodies this stupid-ass drive to fit everything that was ever cool under the geek umbrella that people ought to know better than to give into.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm just saying that the people they are targeting probably think those posters are awesome.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

I've said it elsewhere but it's a book written entirely around the concept that being that guy who hangs around a comic shop and substitutes pop culture references and minutia for actual conversation is so important that it'll save the world.

And ultimately, it's neither determination, justice, a sense of duty to humanity, kindness, nor courage that wins out.

It's being good at games like Joust and being able to regurgitate the script of WarGames and Holy Grail.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options

And ultimately, it's neither determination, justice, a sense of duty to humanity, kindness, nor courage that wins out.

It's being good at games like Joust and being able to regurgitate the script of WarGames and Holy Grail.

Well yeah that guy at the comic shop has none of the former, only the latter

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Don't forget that if you aren't one of those people you do not deserve to live.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    His family and everyone in the building they live in gets killed directly because of his actions and nobody important cares because they don't know how to recite The Breakfast Club.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    He's Pooh Bear, people.

Jesus.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    He's Pooh Bear, People Jesus.

• Options
    edited March 2018

Excuse me m'lady, if I may. Not really a question, per se, more of an observation. A comment, really: Not all men.

minor incident on
  • Options

Excuse me m'lady, if I may. Not really a question, per se, more of an observation. A comment, really: Not all men.

*Tips fedora*

• Options
    the weird thing is that the biggest fan of RPO I've ever met was a woman

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

*Tips fedora*

Whoa whoa whoa, this is the future Raijin

His fedora can tip itself

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Tips Fedora, private eye

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

Plenty of women love books about men who are terrible to women. Look at the success of the Fifty Shades series.

• Options

Me too actually.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I think the marketing looks terrible to most of us because we are not the target.

We are absolutely the target.

Nerds who love video games and movies and were kids in the 80s and 90s when all this stuff was coming out? That’s who this crap is supposed to sell to. They just misjudged...well, everything, right down to the core idea of the movie.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Nerds who love video games and movies and were kids in the 80s and 90s when all this stuff was coming out? That’s who this crap is supposed to sell to. They just misjudged...well, everything, right down to the core idea of the movie.

Yep. We're supposed to be psyched as hell for this.

I'll just get tickets for The Incredibles 2 instead.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tips Fedora, private eye

Excellent work, GG

very good

• Options
    it might be more accurate to say that we, the people on this board, are a small segment of the target market

I honestly have no idea how Nerds at Large are reacting to this movie or its marketing

• Options
    it might be more accurate to say that we, the people on this board, are a small segment of the target market

I honestly have no idea how Nerds at Large are reacting to this movie or its marketing

Most of the nerds I work with (who are not bad people with poor taste by any stretch of the imagination) are moderately to extremely excited for it, for whatever that's worth.

I think the source material is trash, but I trust Spielberg to at least turn it into a mindless, dumb, fun spectacle that's probably entertaining enough for a matinee ticket if I'm bored before Infinity War drops.

• Options

This is what I was talking about. Not nerds in the wild.

• Options
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Movie critic Twitter arguing over the proper way to address Pooh is the best thing that has happened today

Well he's "The Pooh" so I'd assume he'd answer to both Winnie and Pooh.

He's Winnie-ther-Pooh. Don't you know what 'ther' means?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

The first trailer has over 14 million views on Youtube. Over 197,000 'likes', and just under 11,000 'dislikes'.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

I'm glad I saw that here and not out in the wild for the first time. I imagine employees would be upset at someone yelling "OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE!" in a theater lobby.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Tips Fedora, private eye

My favorite Friends at the Table NPC, Tips Fedora!

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    A quick look on twitter used to bring up plenty of people excited for the film. But I think people must really hate these posters because I'm seeing nothing positive.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    That book is very popular. And I wouldn’t be shocked if it makes bank.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    rhylith wrote: »

It's doubly funny since, just a week before RPO is released, I'll have my ass in a seat watching giant robots punch giant monsters once again.

That's likewise a movie made exactly for someone like me who loves the shit out of giant punchy robots and it gets everything right about giant punchy robots.

The only thing RPO gets right is teenagers being asshats on the internet.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The problem with referencing great films you love is it makes you want to watch great films you love, and not, say, RPO

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Those posters look un-fucking-believably bad.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    It's incredible that they topped the poster where his leg was nine feet long

• Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    That book is very popular. And I wouldn’t be shocked if it makes bank.

it was popular and it reviewed well!

I do not understand it

This discussion has been closed.