The only good movie thread is a dead [movie] thread

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Kingsman 2 is awful so far

In pretty much all the ways I expected based on the first one

Kingsman 2 was incredibly fucking stupid.

So fucking stupid.

But I loved every moment.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

So fucking stupid.

I just can't get into it!

Its got a great cast though

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

So fucking stupid.

I just can't get into it!

Its got a great cast though

I will admit it took me a minute because it was so aggressively stupid at first that it caught me off guard.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I thought that Kingsman was great, and that Kingsman 2 was just try-hard garbage.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I can't believe I took so long to watch Planet of the Vampires. Probably one of my fav Bava films. And (as always) I highly recommend the Kino Lorber release, it looks superb in HD

Sweeney Tom on
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Which planet do the vampires live on?

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I've actually been led to believe that the world itself is the vampire

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ok, not that it's a bad movie, ( tho not that it was ever super big either, like, I'm old enough to remember it's release, oh god I'm old)

But for over 6 months now, every Saturday and Sunday, the Comedy Network ( Canada's comedy central) has played "Spies Like Us" 4 times, both days.

over 6 months straight and counting!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    So who wants to hear about the riffing @YaYa and I did for the greatest crossover movie of all time, Fast and the Furious: Pacific Drift

I assure you all that the brief scribblings we came up with were better than Uprising

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Ok, not that it's a bad movie, ( tho not that it was ever super big either, like, I'm old enough to remember it's release, oh god I'm old)

But for over 6 months now, every Saturday and Sunday, the Comedy Network ( Canada's comedy central) has played "Spies Like Us" 4 times, both days.

This sounds like an amazing channel

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I thought that Kingsman was great, and that Kingsman 2 was just try-hard garbage.

I'm in the first third of 2 and I think that may be my verdict as well:
    Why the fuck would you have a tracker/bug that you have to finger someone to get it to work....

Hopefully it recovers.

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Bava is a huge blind spot for me. What Bava flicks should I be seein

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Finished kingsman 2
    I thought it was bad with a few good parts peppered throughout

I think some of it would have played better during the dubya years, and it definitely decided that all the things I thought were bad about the first one were actually core parts of the brand

Also fuck it for that country cover of prince and sticking taters in a fridge for the entire movie

The trailer promised me channing tatum and I have never been so let down

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Does anyone know - is Wonder Woman very grainy/is there a lot of noise? In the 4K version? It's kind of driving me nuts. I'm playing it through my Apple TV 4K and I can't really tell if it's actually in 4K since it seems there's so much noise.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Does anyone know - is Wonder Woman very grainy/is there a lot of noise? In the 4K version? It's kind of driving me nuts. I'm playing it through my Apple TV 4K and I can't really tell if it's actually in 4K since it seems there's so much noise.

The grain is normal, that's what happens when you film on film

PNk1Ml4.png
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular

I love that stupid movie.

Fawst wrote: »

I love that stupid movie.

Doctor

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Some Pacific Northwest movies nobody mentioned yet

Emperor of the North - the story of some Depression era hobos and the train conductor who tries to kill them
    Sometimes a Great Notion - the story of a logging family who can’t get along with anyone including each other
    First Blood - the story of a decorated veteran whose PTSD flares up after being the victim of police brutality

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    I MENTIONED FIRST BLOOD

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

The grain is normal, that's what happens when you film on film

Depends on the size and quality of the film itself, and the quality of the transfer.

I wouldn't expect much obvious grain in Dunkirk, for example.

Oh and the Walking Tall remake that the Rock made a few years back is also set in a PNW town

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    What is "film"

edit: But srsly thx

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    As weird as this may sound, a lot of movies set in rural Pennsylvania feel like they could be in the Pacific Northwest. Because it turns out steel towns have a lot in common with lumber towns.

All the Right Moves, although we don’t get as nuts about high school foosball up here
    The Deer Hunter, actually I think most of the scenes where they are hunting in the mountains were filmed in the North Cascades
    Out of the Furnace is another good one for the feel of the region

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

blood and black lace
    danger: diabolik
    black sabbath
    evil eye

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Basically 80% of all films set in "New York" are quite PNW.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So anybody go see Pacific Rim 2?

I'm hearing it doesn't have a lot of the emotional beats of the first but the robot fightan is still good.

• TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Some PNW movies I like:

Housekeeping
    The Changeling
    Paranoid Park
    Streetwise
    McCabe and Mrs. Miller

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

blood and black lace
    danger: diabolik
    black sabbath
    evil eye

In addition to these great selections I'd add Black Sunday (different from Black Sabbath despite similar-sounding titles), Hatchet for the Honeymoon, Lisa and the Devil, and Bay of Blood (also my already-mentioned Planet of the Vampires)

Black Sunday and Black Sabbath are probably the most well-known and likely the best of these if you're looking for a starting point

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Saw the new Pacific Rim last night

Much as I love Del Toro, I think I actually liked this one more

Some of that might be expectations— I went into the first with high hopes and was burned pretty bad by the paper thin characters, while I went into this one expecting it to suck, and instead found the leads to be pretty charming and occasionally funny
    Killing Mako was annoying, but I was so relieved the main guy from the first one never showed up. Boyega was great, Amara was fun, Jake’s rival even wasn’t bad. The plot was silly but had a few more surprises than I remember the first having

Honestly, I would watch a TV show about the cadets, that was such a fun concept

Which is the big problem with both movies, that the world is much more interesting and has greater potential than these stories have captured

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Finished kingsman 2
    I thought it was bad with a few good parts peppered throughout

I think some of it would have played better during the dubya years, and it definitely decided that all the things I thought were bad about the first one were actually core parts of the brand

Also fuck it for that country cover of prince and sticking taters in a fridge for the entire movie

The trailer promised me channing tatum and I have never been so let down

Basically agree:
    I also hate when good guys bite it, so yay to Harry being back, but then 2 steps back with Roxy and Merlin biting it. Especially Roxy, what a crap way to go out. I was half expecting her to make a surprise save towards the end since she was moving toward possibly safety when the missile hit, but alas.

Wasn't a total waste, but one was better.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I'm adding Zero Effect to the PNW list because it's got a bunch of scenes in Portland.

Also as a reminder that I need to see Zero Effect again sometime soon.

Last pint: What Fresh Beast '24 / Breakside - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Saw Isle of Dogs today

Was absolutel beautiful to look at. Just gorgeous.

The plot was fairly simple and predictable, but done well. It was funny in an understated way too. I liked it!

Butler For Life #1 on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I was going to go see Pacific Rim 2 tonight but I feel like shit so I'm staying home watching Bob Ross instead

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I was going to go see Pacific Rim 2 tonight but I feel like shit so I'm staying home watching Bob Ross instead

Honestly a solid choice

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed PR2, I loved the first movie but I thought Uprising did the right thing by not taking itself as seriously

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Just got back from Pacific Rim 2 and wow that was bad.

And I was a huuuuge fan of the first one.
    there aren't any robots fighting monsters until like an hour into the movie! That's like the reason I went to see it!

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I keep going back and forth on whether or not I should see Pacific Rim 2, because while I love John Boyega and think Charlie Day is great, the trailers have given me the sense that I'll probably walk out of it extremely disappointed.

[IMG][/img]
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    PC2 wasn't terrible! Neither was it great. Very middling, relying heavily on Boyega's charm

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    also, Twilight is a PNW franchise

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    It's a film that relies heavily on you being charmed by John Boyega and Charlie Day, and loving big robots.

Sold

btw you have to look up Pupcific Rim: Puprising if you want to be charmed by John Boyega some more

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
This discussion has been closed.