Options

The only good movie thread is a dead [movie] thread

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    ... I'm not sure what 'indie film vibe' means in this context.

I guess you can say the arthouse vibe.

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

That is significantly less precise.

He’s definitely an arthouse director that house found surprising success and wide appeal. But even within the indie world, he’s pretty distinct.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

He’s definitely an arthouse director that house found surprising success and wide appeal. But even within the indie world, he’s pretty distinct.

Umm...you just said what I said.

Dragkonias on
  • Options

Umm...you just said what I said.

You seemed to be make some kind of aesthetic judgement that I’m not, but I could be wrong!

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I mean yeah.

I said he makes arthouse films that have critical and somewhat mainstream success and that has helped him make a name for himself.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    What does "hipster" mean though

• Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    What does "hipster" mean though

I believe it's a type of sandwich.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    but nobody said hipster

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    a hipster is a thing you know when you see but no one actually uses to describe themselves

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    The uh

Questionable use of Japan and Japanese people in Isle of Dogs has made me pretty wary

From what I've read it absolutely paints Anderson as being totally oblivious as to why a white American dude making specifically this movie that handles it's Japanese characters and the speaking of Japanese as it does might be a problem

It definitely comes off as Anderson mostly being interested in Japanese aesthetics and trappings

It certainly doesn't engage deeply with Japanese culture
    Which is a pretty big problem just on its own!

Was it this thread where I described Wes Anderson being the Cinematic Equivalent of Gentrification?

Yeah

I don't think there's an actual noun in this particular dimension more white than Wes Anderson or his movies.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Gentrification?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I much prefer the opposite of arthouse films.

Smilf esuohtra just sounds sexier.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    The uh

Questionable use of Japan and Japanese people in Isle of Dogs has made me pretty wary

From what I've read it absolutely paints Anderson as being totally oblivious as to why a white American dude making specifically this movie that handles it's Japanese characters and the speaking of Japanese as it does might be a problem

It definitely comes off as Anderson mostly being interested in Japanese aesthetics and trappings

It certainly doesn't engage deeply with Japanese culture
    Which is a pretty big problem just on its own!

Was it this thread where I described Wes Anderson being the Cinematic Equivalent of Gentrification?

Yeah

I don't think there's an actual noun in this particular dimension more white than Wes Anderson or his movies.

I completely agree while still really loving about ... oh, 30% of his output.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Gentrification?

Mainly in that his work, and his characters, are very much like an artistic representation of a group of affluent people suddenly finding out that this very poor neighborhood's is 'exotic' and fascinating and quickly moves itself in, obliviously fucking over everything that was there before.

This loops back to the whole 'hipster' thing.

Which, no matter how unquantifiable the word 'hipster' is, all hangs together as A Thing.

His movies are just so excited about this new bodega they found, but really wouldn't be caught dead talking to somebody who looks like the owner outside of that context.

His movies want you to know that they go to djembe classes.

His movies love quinoa and fear chemtrails, they've got massive record collections and love Iron & Wine, and have brand new iphones with bespoke bamboo cases.

His movies can't be racist because they've got a brown friend.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I guess. To me he takes from well established stuff. To gentrify would mean that the films and styles he's emulating weren't already white as heck.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I guess. To me he takes from well established stuff. To gentrify would mean that the films and styles he's emulating weren't already white as heck.

was actually something I'd originally addressed

well, that, and that the industry itself is white af

It's more just the overall vibe of his work and his persona

Like, there's a kind of white guy who can hang, and he fuckin ain't it.

But it's mostly that his shit is so twee, I expect every actual phoneme of his characters' dialogue to actually just be the sound 'tweeeeeeee'.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    A Quiet Place, with 30 reviews and counting, currently has 100% on RottenTomatoes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR7cc5t7tv8

I'm so excited

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I always preferred the far greater animated cat musical film, Cats Don't Dance.

5587.jpg

This movie is actually about how racist Hollywood was back in the Shirley Temple era. Not that it really goes any farther than the obvious moral that discrimination is bad, but still. It's good stuff.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Is it weird to be sad to learn Isle of Dogs is a stop motion wes anderson movie.

Like not that I have anything against wes anderson stop motion, I just, I dunno, for some reason thought it was like an actual animals movie.

I'm sad over not getting to see puppies that never existed in the first place?

Poor non existent puppoes

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    What the hell does "twee" mean? I have never seen that word outside of this thread.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    What do you want it to mean

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    single bird noise

• Options
    As soon as “twee” enters a conversation about art, I think maybe I need to back away a little. It’s like the word pretentious in that way. It’s a hard thing to argue.

I definitely get how people see that in Anderson, but I don’t, and I don’t think what I see in his work is something that can be convincingly argued to someone just finds him annoying. Everyone’s twee-meter is different I guess.

He’s maybe the ultimate agree-to-disagree director.

• Options
    i have a hard time identifying twee myself

like, I thought that a lot of Colossal might have been considered twee. But I'm almost certainly wrong about that (and even by my own wrong views, I didn't think that it ended up being at all twee)

• Options
    but i don't necessarily find tweeness to be necessarily all that bad, so i have a hard time identifying it

i guess it's a useful shorthand for a type of insincerity?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

like, I thought that a lot of Colossal might have been considered twee. But I'm almost certainly wrong about that (and even by my own wrong views, I didn't think that it ended up being at all twee)

I didn't get any sense of Twee from Colossal.

And any that might have been there was destroyed by Jason Sudeikis's character.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    What the hell does "twee" mean? I have never seen that word outside of this thread.

It means "it's not my kind of thing". People just use it to appear like it's an actual critique when it's really just a personal and subjective thing.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »

It means "it's not my kind of thing". People just use it to appear like it's an actual critique when it's really just a personal and subjective thing.
    No there's an actual definition and people use it meaning that definition

It's subjective, sure, but it isn't just a NAH DIDN'T LIKE IT

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

I didn't get any sense of Twee from Colossal.

And any that might have been there was destroyed by Jason Sudeikis's character.

exactly,

i had thought that maybe anne hathaway's antics at the beginning might have been twee

but yeah, i think i'm pretty definitively wrong about that take

• Options
    edited March 2018
    twee to me has very specific aesthetic connotations, as well as narrative beats and characterisation or themes.

Wes Anderson's whole aesthetic definitely leans twee, though the degree varies. Moonrise Kingdom, for example, is twee to me in a way that The Darjeeling Limited isn't (so much). His love of symmetry and his colour schemes help that along. Additionally, overly precocious children are almost inherently twee. So he scores very high on my personal twee-o-meter, which normally would put me off. What saves his films, for me, is the frequent dark humour.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I thought twee was just the twird positive integer.

Won, twwooo, twee, twour, twive...

Drez on
  • Options
    but i don't necessarily find tweeness to be necessarily all that bad, so i have a hard time identifying it

Ah! I think this is it!

Cute in a way that’s emotionally insincere.

Which is also why I disagree with it’s use with Anderson.

• Options

Ah! I think this is it!

Cute in a way that’s emotionally insincere.

Which is also why I disagree with it’s use with Anderson.

hmm. That's interesting, I've never associated it with insincerity so much as an almost wilful blindness to non-cutesiness. I think one can be sincere in one's tweeness, but it might necessarily involve some degree of cognitive dissonance. Anderson to me is often deliberately playing off the contrast between the tweeness of his characters and grim reality (cf GBH), which is what makes his movies interesting.

To take another example, Pushing Daisies is pretty twee, for example, but I'd never accuse brian fuller of being inherently cutesy in general, or insincere.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Sometimes a film can be twee or mega-cute or whatever.

It doesn't automatically make a movie worse for having it.

And loads of other media are allowed to be incredibly cute, film shouldn't be different.

• Options
    So I just looked up Wes Anderson’s filmography and now realize I have literally never seen even one Wes Anderson film.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It is similar to saccharine for me, just overpoweringly cutesy or obsessed with being dainty and quirky

Moonrise Kingdom didn't work for me because it was almost nothing but pure Anderson twee-ness with not much substance behind it. It was like eating a bowl full of sugar.

Grand Budapest worked for me because it had a dark emotional core that had a genuine weight behind it and elevated it above the cutesy atmosphere and set dressing. It was like a nice, complex dessert that had a tasteful garnish of powdered sugar.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    So I just looked up Wes Anderson’s filmography and now realize I have literally never seen even one Wes Anderson film.

I’ve seen two. The Royal Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

He's a hard one to recommend to people because even if you broadly like his films, nobody likes the same ones. I don't think I've ever met anybody who genuinely liked every single movie, but I've also never met anyone who agreed with me on what the 'watchable' Anderson's are.

If you wanted to try him out I'd recommend Grand Budapest Hotel, and then if you didn't like that I probably wouldn't bother with any others. But hell maybe there are people out there who hate GBH but fucking love Rushmore.

• Options

He's a hard one to recommend to people because even if you broadly like his films, nobody likes the same ones. I don't think I've ever met anybody who genuinely liked every single movie, but I've also never met anyone who agreed with me on what the 'watchable' Anderson's are.

If you wanted to try him out I'd recommend Grand Budapest Hotel, and then if you didn't like that I probably wouldn't bother with any others. But hell maybe there are people out there who hate GBH but fucking love Rushmore.

Are there other directors where people love everything they have produced?

I think that could be relatively uncommon?

This discussion has been closed.