Options

The only good movie thread is a dead [movie] thread

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I think Grand Budapest Hotel is the one I've seen people dislike the least of all his films, so that's probably the one I'd go to?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Jason Schwartzman is a weird dude for me. I can’t tell if I love or hate or love to hate him.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I've seen a fair bit of Anderson and have mixed reaction to his movies but Grand Budapest Hotel is legitimately fantastic and definitely the one I would recommend to people

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    So I just looked up Wes Anderson’s filmography and now realize I have literally never seen even one Wes Anderson film.

He's a hard one to recommend to people because even if you broadly like his films, nobody likes the same ones. I don't think I've ever met anybody who genuinely liked every single movie, but I've also never met anyone who agreed with me on what the 'watchable' Anderson's are.

If you wanted to try him out I'd recommend Grand Budapest Hotel, and then if you didn't like that I probably wouldn't bother with any others. But hell maybe there are people out there who hate GBH but fucking love Rushmore.

Are there other directors where people love everything they have produced?

I think that could be relatively uncommon?

I probably worded that badly. It's more that usually there's some consensus on what films [director] pulled off and which they didn't, but with Wes Anderson there is almost no general agreement at all.

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    I’m a fan of all of his movies, but there’s definitely some I think are weaker. I dig him the most when he’s gunning for deeper emotional core. I find his artifice is a great stage for pathos. GBH, Darjeeling Limited and Life Aquatic hit those notes the best for me.

• Options
    So I just looked up Wes Anderson’s filmography and now realize I have literally never seen even one Wes Anderson film.

He's a hard one to recommend to people because even if you broadly like his films, nobody likes the same ones. I don't think I've ever met anybody who genuinely liked every single movie, but I've also never met anyone who agreed with me on what the 'watchable' Anderson's are.

If you wanted to try him out I'd recommend Grand Budapest Hotel, and then if you didn't like that I probably wouldn't bother with any others. But hell maybe there are people out there who hate GBH but fucking love Rushmore.

I do really love Lukas Moodysson, even if Tilsammans (“Together” in the US) was thematically boring to me. I have yet to watch A Hole in my Heart but his first three films - Fucking Amal (“Show Me Love”), Tilsammans, and Lilja 4-Ever are three of the best films I have literally ever seen.

• Options
    Life Aquatic is probably the biggest point of diversion for me as I cannot stand that movie at all but folks seem to agree it's one of his best

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Also, this has been the least frustrating critical conversation about Wes Anderson I’ve been a part of in a long time.

Thanks, thread.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I’m a fan of all of his movies, but there’s definitely some I think are weaker. I dig him the most when he’s gunning for deeper emotional core. I find his artifice is a great stage for pathos. GBH, Darjeeling Limited and Life Aquatic hit those notes the best for me.

Case in point - I totally agree with you about what makes some of his movies better than others, but I would put Royal Tennenbaums well above Darjeeling Limited, and found Life Aquatic fairly boring.

tynic on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    since i've mostly seen twee used as a negative description, i've come to associate it with insincerity, in the same way that the word "cutesy" has more of a negative implication than "cute".

but you've been giving some better definitions that are making me rethink my position.

• Options

Case in point - I totally agree with you about what makes some of his movies better than others, but I would put Royal Tennenbaums well above Darjeeling Limited, and found Life Aquatic fairly boring.

Royal Tennenbaums totally works on that level too! I just didn’t want to list literally half of his movies.

• Options
    So the Coen Brothers - they are very hit-or-miss for me. I literally had to shut off Hail Caesar!

• Options

Aaand I'd rate Royal Tennenbaums well above Darjeeling Limited, but also I loved Life Aquatic!

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

I know multiple people who love Rushmore and hate everything else he's done, oddly.

For me, I'd say GBH, The Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic, and The Darjeeling Limited are the highlights. I loved Rushmore, but I didn't think it held up as well.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    But yeah, I am definitely in the camp of broadly enjoying his movies

Grand Budapest Hotel is easily the top of his career however

Like, not only is it maybe the most Wes Anderson movie with all of his directorial choices and humor mixed with emotion and pathos, but it also handles all of that stuff the absolute best of any of his works

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Lalabox wrote: »
    since i've mostly seen twee used as a negative description, i've come to associate it with insincerity, in the same way that the word "cutesy" has more of a negative implication than "cute".

but you've been giving some better definitions that are making me rethink my position.

We had a family friend when I was growing up whose aesthetic and lifestyle definitely fell firmly into twee, but she also was sincere and thoughtful. My father once described her as "deeply fluffy". So that's kind of who/ what I think of when I think of twee.

tynic on
  • Options
    Also, Twee is like Belle & Sebastion and Tiger Trap, guys. It's Riot Grrrl's adorable, sincere, little sister.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'd recommend Fantastic Mr Fox, if you like stop motion children's films. And I do.

And if you like that, then hey, go check out Isle of Dogs.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Pretty sure Tarantino is a guy where when people are in, they’re in for all of it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Pretty sure Tarantino is a guy where when people are in, they’re in for all of it

it feels like there were a lot of people who were turned off by hateful 8

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

As a fan of Tarantino there are definitely films of his that I have no energy to watch again.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Why is that? I liked Hateful 8

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Please.

Please vote Del Toro.

Please save us from a Fincher podcast.

Movie thread I am crossposting this from the paradise city thread because it is a desperate situation.

• Options
    edited March 2018

I was thinking of Tarantino but... I’ve seen Jackie Brown once and I didn’t much care for it. But that was a long time ago so I need to see it again. I’ve lived every other film though. I even loved Four Rooms! Which only has a little bit of Tarantino’s writing and directing touch, but still loved. Tim Roth had a lot to do with that, though.

Drez on
  • Options
    Tim Roth is great. He nearly salvages Lie To Me, which is a procedural turd.

• Options
    Nah, I love Django and Basterds but can't stand the Kill Bill flicks and think Pulp Fiction is super overrated

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Why is that? I liked Hateful 8

hateful eight is exhausting. it was tense and beautifully shot, and I enjoyed watching in 70mm, but I don't particularly want to watch it again.

• Options
    hateful 8 is peak tarintino of unpleasant people having long conversaions with a constant underlying hreat of violence and escalation and mistrust

but it doesn't have much in the way of principles or morality other than that.

• Options

Ozu - at least, the 20 or so I can get ahold of.

Tarkovsky

Paul Thomas Anderson

Kelly Reichardt

Probably some others. But there are so many who are just one dud away from perfect.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Nah, I love Django and Basterds but can't stand the Kill Bill flicks and think Pulp Fiction is super overrated

I like both Kill Bill's (second more than first), and think Pulp Fiction holds up super well, but thought Django was problematic and Jamie Foxx was kinda wasted, and Hateful Eight was beautiful trash.

• Options
    At this point the main things I remember about hateful eight are the poisoning scene and surprise channing tatum

• Options
    Tim Roth is great. He nearly salvages Lie To Me, which is a procedural turd.

I don’t think I’m exaggerating to say that Tim Roth is one of my favorite actors.

• Options
    I think Pulp Fiction might be one of those things where it was mind blowing when it came out but I saw it much, much later (after seeing tons of things it influenced) and it just felt pretty stale and pointlessly edgy to me when I saw it like 6 or 7 years ago.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

here's kind of a crash course

https://youtu.be/rbO3BS0Uzm0

https://youtu.be/b87B7zyucgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXLO2dFfwLE

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

For me: Rian Johnson and Satoshi Kon

I was going to say Wong Kar-wai but I haven't seen My Blueberry Nights and I don't particularly want to

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    hateful 8 is peak tarintino of unpleasant people having long conversaions with a constant underlying hreat of violence and escalation and mistrust

but it doesn't have much in the way of principles or morality other than that.
    I literally had a moment where I went "Oh, okay. It's going to be that film" the moment I heard the first racial slur. Once I had kind of relinquished any hopes that it was going to be anything more than "Quentin Tarantino fucks around for almost three hours" I had a pretty good time. That movie is unpleasant and too long and generally mean-spirited, but if you're looking for that kind of a film, it's pretty good.

But, yeah, Hateful 8 is 100% a movie that I like and completely understand why people hate it.

Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction, though? . . .

• Options
    I feel like Nolan is kind of one of those all-in directors, or at least he was until The Dark Knight Rises, which was pretty divisive even among big fans of Nolan AND Batman.

• Options
    i'm kinda curious if tarintino could make a new film that is set in the present anymore

he seems really be in his element when trying to present his vision of the past

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    hey does Blood Simple actually hold up as its own movie or is it one of those debuts that's like "this is good to see as a blueprint for what the Coens would go on to do"

I haven't seen it but I'm thinkin' about it

Blood Simple actually got better.

• Options
    The more normal racial epithets were during a time period, the more suited to that era Tarantino is as a filmmaker

This discussion has been closed.