Options

The only good movie thread is a dead [movie] thread

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    So Eli Roth directed a kid-friendly "horror" movie. And it looks fucking dope:

https://youtu.be/oQGA42-U0Ro

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Eli Roth has reached "Don't give him money" territory for me, personally.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I'm still pissed that he didn't make The Meg (since that's the actual title now). I can only imagine what he would have done with giant shark madness ... and Jason Statham.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    that Great Gatsby though

baz's visual excess was kinda....a lot for most of the movie, but i thought it worked for that final power-up sequence where nick finally goes Great Gatsby when leo gets murdered

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Eli Roth sucks, but kid horror is really good and underserved

I'll give it a shot if it gets good reviews

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Dunkirk will always be a gap for me in Nolan's filmography.

I just can't do war movies.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That admittedly looks pretty promising

But I'm sure it will end the same way that every other Eli Roth movie does

With me exclaiming, "Okay, but what was the goddamn point?"

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    i go pretty hard for Nolan

i still haven't seen following or insomnia, but I've at least "liked a lot" all of his stuff and outright love the prestige, interstellar, dark knight, inception

the only other director that comes immediately to mind with a filmography of more than a couple is guillermo del toro. haven't seen mimic or the devil's backbone but i think that's it? and it's the same "really enjoyed" opinion on most of his

the wachowskis come close but i haven't seen bound and was pretty meh on jupiter ascending

Yeah I still need to see Bound and Jupiter Ascending (or Sense8 actually). But I just saw Cloud Atlas yesterday and loved it. So I'm pretty firmly in their camp.

hell yeah to cloud atlas

i liked plenty of individual pieces of Jupiter and really do wish it amounted to more for me, i know some here are quite fond of it. it's not the worst but their stories really do move me so effectively when they're working that the lack of that is pretty stark

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    that movie was a book!

I read part of it when I was a boy, I wasn't very into it

long story short, there's clocks in the walls of a house and it's a problem

• Options
    that movie was a book!

I read part of it when I was a boy, I wasn't very into it

long story short, there's clocks in the walls of a house and it's a problem

ahh!!!!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Im becoming increasingly annoyed everytime a RPO trailer is on because of the back to the future chime at the end.

It's the icing on the nostalgia cake of this movie that screams "hey remember that thing? This movie has that!"

As much as Im not a south park fan anymore, they were pretty spot on with the 'member berries.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Im becoming increasingly annoyed everytime a RPO trailer is on because of the back to the future chime at the end.

It's the icing on the nostalgia cake of this movie that screams "hey remember that thing? This movie has that!"

As much as Im not a south park fan anymore, they were pretty spot on with the 'member berries.

The central concept behind ready player one and back to the future are similar, except for different generations.

Of all the empty references in ready player one, this is perhaps the least empty

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »

The central concept behind ready player one and back to the future are similar, except for different generations.

Of all the empty references in ready player one, this is perhaps the least empty

What? How?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

What? How?

If I were to guess, I would say that both feature uncritical nostalgia for the past.

Only BttF is focused on a time period, whereas RPO is focused on media.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    RPO seems like the worst parts of Big Bang Theory and Twilight put together.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I imagine if Funko Pop made a movie, it would be pretty close to RPO.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    "You get a movie from the books by John Bellairs" + "Eli Roth is at the controls" feels like somebody's messing with the Monkey's Paw.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I imagine if Funko Pop made a movie, it would be pretty close to RPO.
    I mean

Yeah?

Funko just makes collectible figures, they're like any other action figure/statue/whatever company. They just have such a low price point and are fairly popular so they can get basically any license.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    RPO’s constant reference stuff is a little obnoxious, but the thing that actually worries me about it is the protagonist being a gatekeepy toxic nerd and that the book seems to imply that he is correct to act as such.

I still assume I’ll see the movie because I have friends who want to. I hope that Spielberg has at least something to say about this aspect of the story.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

What? How?

If I were to guess, I would say that both feature uncritical nostalgia for the past.

Only BttF is focused on a time period, whereas RPO is focused on media.

BTTF, having nuance, was a ton more nuanced, but a major theme of the first movie was "hey, the 50s were cool too!" Both media tried to revive appreciation for the era of a previous generation and included callbacks for the people that actually lived it. Unlike Pleasantville, they did not delve into negative commentary of their culture.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    My sisters and I were wandering around a bookshop the other day, when my eldest sister saw the book of Ready Player One on the shelf - she said "Oh look it's the book for that movie that's coming out soon!" to which I replied "I wouldn't buy that if I were you, Cline is a hack". She said "Oh, is he a bad writer?", I replied "just try reading a couple of pages and see". She opened the book to the page where he describes the character's DeLorean with the Ghostbusters sticker on the door and said "that's kind of shit, yeah." I mentioned how when the book got popular and sold a lot of copies, he bought a DeLorean and had it turned into the car described in the book and she put the book back on the shelf and walked away.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/3/26/17148350/ready-player-one-book-backlash-controversy-gamergate-explained

I thought this was a nice writeup that is actually a pretty fair take on both the original reception and how we look back on it now.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    I...

Ernest Cline is a Bad Writer, and he has very Typical Nerd ideas of How To Date.

Woody Allen has an Oscar, I think?

I'm glad Cline got his DeLorean, and I'm glad he likes things that aren't actively harmful to the humans around him (hopefully). I'm glad the things he likes are bringing him prosperity; I'm sitting in an office, wishing I could be at home painting plastic mans.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Didn't he have the Delorean first, and then he wrote it into RPO

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The RPO movie still has
    the love interest turning out to be exactly like her avatar but with a birth mark on her face according to a review.

Jesus. That was just lazy writing.

• Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    I...

Ernest Cline is a Bad Writer, and he has very Typical Nerd ideas of How To Date.

Woody Allen has an Oscar, I think?

I'm glad Cline got his DeLorean, and I'm glad he likes things that aren't actively harmful to the humans around him (hopefully). I'm glad the things he likes are bringing him prosperity; I'm sitting in an office, wishing I could be at home painting plastic mans.

I mean he isn't woody Allen

But his shit does propagate gatekeeping shotty nerd culture

• Options
    The way Earnest Cline portrays "typical nerd" behavior in his writing gives me the impression that he thinks these toxic behaviors are okay and problem represents them and I am not glad that he is being rewarded for that.

Toxic masculinity and media gatekeeping are absolutely harmful behaviors.

I don't see what Woody Allen has to do with any of this

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Who gates the gatekeepers?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    The way Earnest Cline portrays "typical nerd" behavior in his writing gives me the impression that he thinks these toxic behaviors are okay and problem represents them and I am not glad that he is being rewarded for that.

Its one of those "he's not as bad as this other guy" things

• Options

Its one of those "he's not as bad as this other guy" things

Right, I don't see why the other guy has anything to do with this

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    I think that Ernest Cline is a product of a subculture with some shitty aspects that funhouse-mirror-reflect the same aspects in wider culture, and that he's not actually a particularly terrible specimen? He's not some fucking unique grendel that sprung into being and fucked the world sideways, or has done a particularly egregious thing.

That last is the reason I bring up Actual Monster Woody Allen. Possibly an oblique angle on that, I'll admit.

Cline is a nerd who is Very Nerd.

I can get behind criticizing his very juvenile views on romance.

The 'gatekeeping' thing seems like making a mountain out of a molehill in the middle of a field nobody actually gives a fuck about anyway.

So incredibly much of film and fiction in general does this gatekeeping with all kinds of shit, that it's really weird to zero in on it here while we've ignored it elsewhere for decades.

I get holding nerd culture to a higher standard because it's ours and we'd like to be Bigger Than That, but... damn, that's tiring every fuckin time a movie with robots comes out.

• Options
    So incredibly much of film and fiction in general does this gatekeeping with all kinds of shit, that it's really weird to zero in on it here while we've ignored it elsewhere for decades.
    That is a bad reason to ignore an instance of gatekeeping. People have done terrible things for decades before realizing it was wrong and zeroing in on it in the fields they are active in.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I think we should just burn everything and start over.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    We've been talking about how toxic nerd culture is toxic for... a while now?

• Options
    "Why are we only now saying this is bad"

I mean first of all we aren't

but also thats a really bad reason to not do it

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Cline is an asshole but assholes are not notably rare, yes, I'll agree with that

Whether he's a more or less egregious example of an asshole... well he has a pedestal because of this movie, his name and his whole deal is out there, and his whole deal is pretty shitty, so it makes sense that people will cut into him. You write some transphobic shit and make a load of money of that then you deserve to get it in the neck for it. I ain't going to weep for him.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I think we should just burn everything and start over.

#Killmongerwasright

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Yeah Cline's not getting torn into because he's a particularly extreme example. He's getting torn into because he's a notable and relevant one. When there's a lot of talk about something shitty, that's the exact right time to be shouting "Hey this is shitty!"

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    That said I do think it's kind of weird that we spend a lot of time talking about how shitty Ernest Cline is, and how much we don't care about his stupid movie etc

Thousands of words spent talking about how we aren't going to see RPO, and how crap the book is etc. At one point people were just repeatedly quoting excerpts from it. Like, okay we get it, it sucks. We all know.

Solar on
  • Options
    It is an internet forum. Posting doesn't take a ton of time and thought.

This discussion has been closed.