As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I collected Californian unemployment while living in Washington. I filled out the forms online and just put details of my job searching in Washington. I had paid into California’s unemployment so I was entitled to that even though I had moved.

• Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I guess I'd say number one would be making sure the kids and you two are healthy and as happy as you can be right now. So figuring out healthcare would be my first priority.

Next, if you two wanted to move, this would be a good time as nothing is really holding you to FL. Maybe looking at renting a house or nice apartment while you wade through the job market there? If you can, find a place in the area you want them have wife and kids move while you close on the house?

Sorry, not sure if any of that is helpful, but yeah this is a good time to move if it's something you've wanted. Other option is to stay in FL, get a nice new job then wait till kids are older but there is no perfect time.

Re Grandma, if kids were older I most caution about bouncing them around to multiple locations, but at that age, they won't even know.

Thanks! Priority 1 is the insurance for sure. Re: My grandmother. I'm thinking like a month or so just to help get our feet under us up there. Would be more like an extended vacation type stay as we have stayed with her for 1-2 weeks at a time several times over the past few years and as you said the kids wouldn't even remember/notice. Grandma would be much more affordable in the short term if I didn't have a job up there when we went or the FL house hadn't sold. With no job we wouldn't last long paying rent and a mortgage at the same time.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Welp survived the foot of snow and six and a half days without power. House doesn't seem to be worse for wear. I might have to rebend a few gutters that got stretched due to the snow sliding off the roof. Besides that everything seems to be in good shape.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Strong gust blew by earlier and my house made a bunch of creaking sounds like it was getting pushed. Right after, it smelled like something was burning and I started to smell gas coming from the utility room. Turned off my water heater(that suddenly started sounded like it was burning louder), opened windows, and the smell dissipated. Cautious about reigniting the pilot light.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    So looking at re-stocking from the storm and also prepping for a longer term disaster such as the "big one" earthquake that might happen here in the PNW. All the warnings are like "prepare for 12 days without services or help". Thinking of picking up some Mountain house Freeze dried buckets. I've had them before for hiking and they aren't too bad. Also they have a 30 year shelf life so I won't have to replace them very often. About $300 to cover 3 buckets, which is about 10 days worth of food at 1800cal a day for 3 people. None of us are skinny in this household so we'll be able to supplement from body fat a bit. This of course doesn't count any edible food that we will have in our fridge/freezers/cabinets.

Going to talk to the local Water cooler supply places to see if they stock jugs smaller than 5 gallons. I'd prefer to pick up at least 12 gallons in 2/3 gallon jug sizes.

We have a small generator that can power a few things. I need to test to see if it can power the computer and the satellite dish, for Internet access. I also want to re-wire our electrical panel in our pump house to accept an input from a generator, so we can keep water pressure up in a non earthquake power outage situation.

So yea everyone. Think about disaster preparedness and how long can you stay in your home without any assistance.

• Options
    I actually had a dream the other night that a volcano exploded (actually not Mt Rainier, but we live very close to Mt Rainier) and we all needed to wear face masks for several days, but our disposable ones began to get raggedy after a day. (We actually do have face masks, and I broke them out back in September when the air quality from the forest fires was really bad). So emergency preparedness is absolutely on my mind!

That’s good to know about the food buckets!

I am concerned about water. I bought some small bottles of water back when we got snow but I definitely would like to have a suitable emergency quantity.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    One of the bushfire preparation tips here (if you're not evacuating) is to fill your bath with water while you can. I guess that's less of an option when it's snowtime though.

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    I actually had a dream the other night that a volcano exploded (actually not Mt Rainier, but we live very close to Mt Rainier) and we all needed to wear face masks for several days, but our disposable ones began to get raggedy after a day. (We actually do have face masks, and I broke them out back in September when the air quality from the forest fires was really bad). So emergency preparedness is absolutely on my mind!

I am concerned about water. I bought some small bottles of water back when we got snow but I definitely would like to have a suitable emergency quantity.

I'm a big fan of throwing 1 or 2 half filled jugs in the freezer. Great for a quick power outage where you need to keep the fridge cool for a bit, and for drinking once they thaw.

In my big stand up freezer I usually keep 6 frozen jugs. It was a huge help during this emergency.

• Options
    Our freezer’s really small and narrow. A deep freezer for the garage is definitely on our wishlist!

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    My freezer freezer-burns anything I put in there in a month or less :|

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Yeah no-frost freezers do. That's where a deep freeze comes in - they build up ice happily, so you don't get freezer burn because there's no freeze/thaw.

• Options
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Strong gust blew by earlier and my house made a bunch of creaking sounds like it was getting pushed. Right after, it smelled like something was burning and I started to smell gas coming from the utility room. Turned off my water heater(that suddenly started sounded like it was burning louder), opened windows, and the smell dissipated. Cautious about reigniting the pilot light.

Re-lit it. House didn't blow up. Was scared the whole time.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Yeah no-frost freezers do. That's where a deep freeze comes in - they build up ice happily, so you don't get freezer burn because there's no freeze/thaw.

Aaah. I figured it was the freezer's fault, because I've never experienced so much freezer burn before! Super frustrating because it seems there's nothing I can do. I've even tried vacuum sealing with limited success. This freezer just destroys everything.

• Options
    Also another useful tip for those who don't deal with snow much. Sanding the walks was a HUGE help during this week. So much more traction and for a short walk it only takes like half a bag or so, which is around $4 at a home improvement store. Just get the cheapest sand they have. I used playground sand.

• Options
    I’ve spent the past twenty minutes reading up on pnw earthquake/volcano preparedness.

Pierce County says to prepare for 12 days of supplies!

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular

Everything about that story makes me nervous.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

If you still have a hot water tank which is a reasonable size, you should still be able to access that.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »

Everything about that story makes me nervous.

Me too! "Is this going to blow up me and my house" isn't a comfortable thought.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Any of you folks good with clogged drains/drains backing up? Someone was using the shower and the kitchen sink started filling with backed up water. We're in a split level house, shower is at the top, kitchen is in the middle, downstairs has a room and then stairs to the basement where the drain pipe and the washing machine is.

I tried draino first but it happened again so now I'm trying some other remedies I've found online.

You'll probably need a plumber. Depending on how old your house is and proximity with trees, stuff like this is usually either someone put something down a toilet they shouldn't have (flushable wipes/kitty litter/tampons or pads) or it's a tree root smashing through some old clay pipes you've most likely got if your house is older than the 80s.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I should've seen it coming, but the new paint is from a different batch (mixed to order instead of pre-mixed) and thus ever so slightly darker. So the two walls that the radiators are on that I managed to squeeze a top-coat out of the old tins now have very obvious lines where I've been over and cut-in around the skirting and the transition to the slanted roof with paint from the new batch.

I arranged for the carpets to be fitted on Monday thinking I'd have all week to get the doors on and gloss everything. Now I'll have to spend an extra evening hoping that if I roller on another coat on those walls it'll even out

This was meant to be the easy bit!

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    I have an amazon order building up...

- thermal curtains for the kids. I think their rooms are a priority for curtains; Niko’s room is by far the coldest room (three outside walls, 2 windows, above the garage - no surprise!)
    - curtain rod for Anya’s room (she has a corner window requiring a 90 degree rod)
    - pack of four fire extinguishers
    - fire escape ladder for upstairs
    - n95 masks and safety goggles (after spending several hours reading last night, in the case of most natural disasters in the area the advice for our specific location is ‘stay put’ so I’m looking less at camping supplies and more at at-home emergencies
    - water filtration devices

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Janson

Have you had anyone come in to check the insulation in the garage ceiling?

We recently had ours reinsulated with blown-in paper, basically, and it's amazing how much warmer my youngest's room is.

• Options
    Garage ceiling, no, hmm. The garage walls/ceilings are semi-finished, though. Just missing plaster/paint.

• Options
    I did the small-but-important job tonight of swapping out the dying batteries in our smoke detectors. It involved using the ladder again (we have quite high ceilings downstairs). I’m really glad we invested in a good telescoping multi-ladder.

Also, this light fixture is defeating me. It has no screws, and so far as I can tell (I tugged pretty hard!) the glass doesn’t unscrew and it doesn’t pop into the ceiling.

There are three small indentations on the metal between the metal and the glass so next step may be to shove a screwdriver up there?

2019-03-04%2021.01.07.jpg

• Options
    Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    That looks similar to one I have. It rotates a few inches and bumps in the plastic line up with slots in the metal and it pops off.

• Options
    When I googled someone recommended spraying glasses cleaner up between the glass and the metal, which I might try, because I really did my best to rotate that glass and all that happened was I rotated the metal with it! (Any harder and I was afraid I’d break it). So hard to get a good grip on that glass.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I had one where I had to push up slightly, turn maybe just a wee bit, and let it drop. As you can guess it later smashed as it fall from the ceiling after I replaced the bulb.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Do we have any UK folk here? I have a situation and I need to run some basic London questions by some folk.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Do we have any UK folk here? I have a situation and I need to run some basic London questions by some folk.

you want the love thread

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I had one where I had to push up slightly, turn maybe just a wee bit, and let it drop. As you can guess it later smashed as it fall from the ceiling after I replaced the bulb.

Light fittings are made by the people whose puzzles were rejected from old Sierra adventure games.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    That would explain so much!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

Light fittings are made by the people whose puzzles were rejected from old Sierra adventure games.

Okay @Janson first you’re gonna want to get some cat hair and maple syrup

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    When I googled someone recommended spraying glasses cleaner up between the glass and the metal, which I might try, because I really did my best to rotate that glass and all that happened was I rotated the metal with it! (Any harder and I was afraid I’d break it). So hard to get a good grip on that glass.

Did you put down any of that rubbery non-slip cabinet liner down when you moved in? If you've got some left over, you can cut out a palm-sized square and it'll give you way more traction when you're trying to wrangle that kind of smooth fixture.

Also works great for hard-to-open jars!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

@IronKnuckle's Ghost There's a few of us Brits in this thread but I'm not sure if anyone is London-based. @Karl is the only one I can think of?

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    After four years we finally got the last of the giant awful bushes out. Now everything looks muddy and terrible and I know that the stuff we put in will grow and it'll be fine eventually but man this stage of projects looks like butt.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    After four years we finally got the last of the giant awful bushes out. Now everything looks muddy and terrible and I know that the stuff we put in will grow and it'll be fine eventually but man this stage of projects looks like butt.

Just fenced in the backyard and am having the same situation. The treeline that is now blocked provided a good bit of color.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Phasen wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »

Just fenced in the backyard and am having the same situation. The treeline that is now blocked provided a good bit of color.

Best thing about fences is they are huge blank slates. Paint some cool shit on it!

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    I'm super excited, we were waiting to plant trees and a garden until the fence because we get deer visitors all the time. Going to try to keep a weeping cherry tree and some crepe myrtles alive

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    We really, really need a new fence. I've decided to start with our tax refund and start building up from there to have enough to pay for a new fence. I had wanted to try putting one in myself, but I just don't have the time or skills. Maybe if the posts were good enough to leave in it would be less of a problem just replacing or repairing different sections, but I don't trust myself on the posts. I also really want a concrete footing, which of course costs a ton but will make the fence last longer and look better.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Lots of home improvement projects make me really wish I had a truck. It’d make landscaping much easier

This discussion has been closed.