As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    NOTHING LIKE SEEING A 2" TREE ROACH SCURRY ACROSS YOUR BATHROOM AND THEN HAVING TO CHASE THE FUCKER DOWN IN FLIP FLOPS

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

it must've gotten in through the vents - they lead directly outside (which is where they generally live - they're not house pests like the small German cockroaches) but AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I use a combination of combat roach baits inside and spraying around every single outside entry point on a regular basis with raid to avoid exactly this problem. *shudders forever*

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Damn basement is leaking =/

Walls feel dry, so I'm basically going to have to empty it to figure out what's going on.

It's supposed to rain for the next 10 days ....

Aaaaaaannnd it's flooded

and 5 solid days of rain in the forecast....

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    NOTHING LIKE SEEING A 2" TREE ROACH SCURRY ACROSS YOUR BATHROOM AND THEN HAVING TO CHASE THE FUCKER DOWN IN FLIP FLOPS

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

it must've gotten in through the vents - they lead directly outside (which is where they generally live - they're not house pests like the small German cockroaches) but AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I use a combination of combat roach baits inside and spraying around every single outside entry point on a regular basis with raid to avoid exactly this problem. *shudders forever*

I'm on the third floor of a well-kept, relatively new apartment complex. I was completely not expecting to ever see one of these things inside.

Since the only possible way it could've gotten in was through the air vent, I've just purchased some steel mesh that will be arriving in two days, that I'm going to use to cover the vents in both bathrooms here. That should honestly be all I need to do.

I've been seeing live tree roaches outside this week (after only seeing a few dead ones here and there beforehand) so I think it must be that time of the year. I saw one in a parking garage a few days ago and it kept trying to chase me (I think to hide in my shadow?? Either that or it was a super intelligent SuperRoach and the The Great Insect War is now upon us).

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Since the problem of roaches comes up every so often in this or other threads, I recommend Advion gel to deal with them. Our apartment ended up getting roaches last year and I bought a few syringes of the gel off Amazon after seeing all the good reviews. The stuff just works, I put it out in like 6 or 7 places and within 3 days we were roach free and have been ever since. Haven't even used a whole syringe yet.

Only downside is that the roaches seem to lose their sense of direction and I had to sweep up dead ones every morning, since they'd just wander out onto the floor.

jgeis on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Walls feel dry, so I'm basically going to have to empty it to figure out what's going on.

Aaaaaaannnd it's flooded

Oh no!

You got a pump or anything? Where's it coming from?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Since the problem of roaches comes up every so often in this or other threads, I recommend Advion gel to deal with them. Our apartment ended up getting roaches last year and I bought a few syringes of the gel off Amazon after seeing all the good reviews. The stuff just works, I put it out in like 6 or 7 places and within 3 days we were roach free and have been ever since. Haven't even used a whole syringe yet.

Only downside is that the roaches seem to lose their sense of direction and I had to sweep up dead ones every morning, since they'd just wander out onto the floor.

diatomaceous earth works too

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    We get these guys in our beds. They're highly toxic!!

q20ta3szv4bc.jpg

• Options
    How tempting is it to eat them though?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Judging from the dumb horses we used to own? Extremely.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Aaaaaaannnd it's flooded

Oh no!

You got a pump or anything? Where's it coming from?

Sump wasn't doing a great job sadly but it caught up eventually

Water just seems to be seeping in from somewhere

Took off work today to deal with it

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I'm on the third floor of a well-kept, relatively new apartment complex. I was completely not expecting to ever see one of these things inside.

Since the only possible way it could've gotten in was through the air vent, I've just purchased some steel mesh that will be arriving in two days, that I'm going to use to cover the vents in both bathrooms here. That should honestly be all I need to do.

I've been seeing live tree roaches outside this week (after only seeing a few dead ones here and there beforehand) so I think it must be that time of the year. I saw one in a parking garage a few days ago and it kept trying to chase me (I think to hide in my shadow?? Either that or it was a super intelligent SuperRoach and the The Great Insect War is now upon us).

It's definitely around that time of year.
    I thoroughly maintain that they do actively follow and chase. Because they are evil. Evil, I say.
    That mesh should probably take care of it, yeah.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

They'll blister your fingers if you touch then, so not very.

• Options
    Ahhhh they must be similar to the oil beetles we have in NY then.

They can fuck right off too.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Wait, there's toxic bed bugs there? Not even we have those! [I think?]

• Options
    edited May 2018
    We have blister beetles that are like those bugs in the Americas too, lots of species of them.

Oil beetles are common in the North East, for instance (there's another type to).

They don't often sleep with you though, it's hard to get into our dwellings if you're much bigger than a grain of rice.

bowen on
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    You will never fully remove "palmetto bugs" from any house in the south, they will always follow people in, and bumble around till they die. They don't actually do well in houses, they just come in where it's cooler/warmer/brighter/more/less humid. I hate roaches so, so much, and they squick me out, but those big ones are just big dumb dumbs who'd much rather be on a tree.

• Options
    5 hours later and my basement is no longer flooded, but just really wet

Fortunately it's raining again ....

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Judging from the dumb horses we used to own? Extremely.

Dumb humans do it too. The famous aphrodisiac Spanish Fly is made from ground-up blister beetles.

As you might imagine, applying ground-up blister beetles to your body can go very poorly.

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    and credit card took another 4.5K hit. Deposit on several new windows (the only aluminum frames left in the house) including our main bay window, new front door and side windows (goodbye ugly amber yellow) and new back door. Just gotta wait the month or so until they show up.

Only Pro is I was gonna spend the money on a new roof but a couple different roofing companies said "wait". So fine, I'll spend that one other things.

• Options
    basement leaked a bit last night

I'm guessing because the ground is completely soaked still from earlier. At least it was only a few gallons as opposed to a few inches in the entire basement =p

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular

I'm guessing because the ground is completely soaked still from earlier. At least it was only a few gallons as opposed to a few inches in the entire basement =p

Is it just pushing up through the floor? Not sure what you do about that other than invest in another sump crock.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    My wife asked me to switch the side the fridge opens on last night, and after a quick youtube I was like yeah this seems easy.

2 problems have popped up since I did it though:

1 - the fridge door doesn't fully and reliably close. I suspect this has a lot to do with the fact that when I moved the fridge I found it was PROPPED UP on kitchen tiles. I suspect this is because it doesn't seem to have the feet that can be adjusted to level it. Moving the fridge around caused the tiles to shift and I've noticed more success if I have the hinge side pulled out a little more forward than the handle side. I have no idea how I'm going to get under there to mess with the tiles again - the fridge is between the wall and the oven and I do not want to start moving the oven. The gasket is also a bit crumpled in the area where the hinge was on the opposite side. I attempted to flatten and straighten it, and it's helped. I'm reading online vasoline will help get that seal tight again so I'm going to pick some up after work. It DOES close, and stayed closed overnight, but it doesnt have that satisfying SNAP when it opens or shuts, just kind of a weak one.

2 - So the freezer door handle - the "GE" logo was covering where the bolt goes that the handle slides on to on the side I was swapping to. I assumed, like all other plugged up holes on the opposite side, it was just a plug of some kind. Well, it looks like whoever was here before decided to GLUE the logo in...and filled the bolt hole with glue. I have no idea how to get around this one. I decided to drill into the hole to break it up, and ended up getting a little bit into the insulation (which I assume has no real ill effects - it's not like it popped out into the freezer, I just noticed some styrafoamy dust on the drill bit when I pulled it out). But I can't widen the hole enough to get the bolt back in. I even broke a piece off my leatherman trying to pull the dried glue out! Is there any downside to me just screwing a regular old screw in there and hanging the handle off that? The bottom of the handle is attached now but it looks like garbage without anything holding the top in place.

I had bestbuy.com open and was so frustrated I was about to just order a new fridge, but I calmed down and am trying to find a much cheaper solution now. Nothing seems HORRIBLY broken, it's just my first test in "make this piece of crap work for another year or so" that I've come across, since there's much more pressing concerns for my wallet in the house now.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Is it just pushing up through the floor? Not sure what you do about that other than invest in another sump crock.

it's seeping through our ages old CMU basement walls. There is no waterproofing inside or out and the ground around that portion of foundation was loosened by a water main break last month and is now being flooded by runoff from the neighbors yard and our front yard. That one specific portion of wall is in a very difficult place to waterproof.

my plan is to wait for everything to dry and try to use a sealer on it (which may not be possible). In the immediate future, I'm going to construct shelving atop PVC feet so that when (not if) the basement floods again, all I'll need to do is squeegee all the water into the sump.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Whelp after 4 years of torturous searching for a contractor and financial troubles, it looks like I am finally going forward with the structural repairs to my roof next week.

Then, I'll be $36,000 poorer.

But... I'll have insulation. (Like seriously, even with heat on all the time last winter the inside temperature never got above 65 degrees.)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So, pros and cons of today. Pro - the stained glass (now encapsulated in double-glazing) has gone back in. Con - the installers managed to get soot all over the carpet and I can't get it out.

I'm in the middle of a work-day so I've already spent my entire lunch break scrubbing at the carpet with various chemicals so if I still can't get it off I might have to whinge at the window company.

OJ0tlfTl.jpg
    Going at the old frame with a power saw

QqFrxo1l.jpg
    Old frame out, new frame in

akIunC0l.jpg
    And with the leads put back in

Once the carpet is cleaned up my next job is to get that pelmet and the old metal curtain rails down and put a new PVC track in and finally hang the curtains we've had for 6 months in a drawer.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    We got our final revised plans for planning submission back from the architect. We had a few thoughts - minor changes that didn't really change the overall plan - and he incorporated fairly promptly.

The only thing I'm vaguely uncertain about is he has a window in front of the cooktop in the kitchen. He assures me it's something they do reasonably often, but I've never really seen a cooktop without a splashback before. I've been looking on houzz but it still seems a bit of an odd thing so I'm not really sure of how I feel about it.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    I mean, there are few surfaces in your house that are easier to clean than glass. Just keep a razor scraper and a bottle of white vinegar around and you're golden.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    On the one hand, I think I'd really like that (if it was easy to clean) because more light when I'm cooking is always good
    OTOH it's not something I think I've ever seen, and I'd be worried about grease getting into weird corners etc.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Yeah. On the one hand I see the point, because it's one of the better views in the house and it would serve the dining area as well as the kitchen to allow a bit of a view of the hills from where you eat and cook.

But then you'd probably have to clean it all the time, putting in a range hood would be complicated at least, and you'd compromise the amount of wall storage you could put into a kitchen which is already on the small side. Curtains would be an issue too; I can't really imagine having any configuration that wouldn't result in a fire risk, which might bother me when the windows radiate cold in the winter.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    You'd probably have to double glaze it rather than have a shade or curtains. Honestly I do like the idea, but implementation is absolutely key.

• Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    Yeah. On the one hand I see the point, because it's one of the better views in the house and it would serve the dining area as well as the kitchen to allow a bit of a view of the hills from where you eat and cook.

But then you'd probably have to clean it all the time, putting in a range hood would be complicated at least, and you'd compromise the amount of wall storage you could put into a kitchen which is already on the small side. Curtains would be an issue too; I can't really imagine having any configuration that wouldn't result in a fire risk, which might bother me when the windows radiate cold in the winter.

Think of when you're making smash burgers in the cast iron, though! You can just open the window and the smoke alarm won't give you a peep!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

Storage behind a burner really isn't that practical though (we have it, but we don't use it a lot).

I'd say if you are unsure about it, ask for some photos in place (maybe even ask if you can ask the owners what they think about it) or even look at moving the burner.

At least with our kitchen, moving the stovetop was a real inception moment for the entire kitchen design so don't be afraid to stick it in a different spot and think about how it would affect the entire layout.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Can I bitch about Comcast in here for a second? Were moving to the new house June 1st, and last time we moved and called a few days before hand we were told we should have called a week+ out. So this time I called 15 days ahead of time.

So of course they completely cocked everything up so much it destroyed our account.
    The lady I spoke to Wednesday, instead of selecting June 1st in their drop down menu for the move, just set it up for Wednesday and then in the notes put "Transfer June 1st". Thats not how it works, obviously. So today our internet went out. I called them, thinking this would be an easy fix. The lady in tech support wasn't very helpful, but after about 15 minutes of messing with stuff she figured out the issue was that the lady I spoke to Wednesday messed up the move date and our service was already moved to the new address. So she had me on hold for about a half hour and eventually transferred me to a guy named Leon (I'm posting the name here so I have it on hand in case I need it later and forget), Leon said that everything was so "royally screwed" that the best thing to do was to completely delete our account and start from scratch.

Now I've had to work with Comcast before, when I was with Verizon, and I have a few friends who have worked for them in the past, so I know one thing about Comcast above all else: Every Department is Sales. Everyone from tech support to customer service gets their performance based on sales in some way. So I was pretty sure Leon over here just wanted to make a "sale" so by deleting our account, it would look like he signed up a new customer. Except...theres a snag. We just had basic TV+HBO with 100 MB/s internet speed. We liked that, it was only $60 a month for that, and it worked well for us...but that deal no longer existed, oh and even though we signed a contract for that deal, since our account had been deleted, Comcast was no longer required to adhere to said contract. Leon could get us the internet we like with Cinemax, or HBO with 50 MB/s internet speed. That was unacceptable to me. So we were on hold for another 20 minutes while him and his supervisor worked it out. At this point its been about an hour and a half.

So finally here was the deal we got, For now he would set us up with the Blast internet (he says it was what we had but since he has physically deleted our previous account I can't check, not even our past bills), free Cinemax and Showtime, and tomorrow hes suppose to call us back with a rep from the customer retention department and get us set up with our HBO. Of course now we have other issues, they won't let my fiancee set up a new user name/password because her phone number is already associated with a Comcast account, the website says our new customer ID number doesn't exist, and the email we got said their upgrading us to an HD X1 box, which is an extra $15 a month, that we told them, repeatedly, we didn't want.

So yeah, hopefully we get this worked out tomorrow. But really? I shouldn't have to play phone tag for 2 hours to fix their screw up and it cheeses me off when I have to deal with this crap.

• Options

Aaaaaaannnd it's flooded

Were you at least able to identify the leak via the water coming in?

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »

Aaaaaaannnd it's flooded

Were you at least able to identify the leak via the water coming in?

In a way

It's ages old undampproofed unfilled CMU. The ground is so saturated that it's seeping through the blocks.

Once everything is 100 percent dry, I'm going to scrub everything down and spray seal it. I'm also building raised shelves on casters in case that doesn't work

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Can I bitch about Comcast in here for a second? Were moving to the new house June 1st, and last time we moved and called a few days before hand we were told we should have called a week+ out. So this time I called 15 days ahead of time.

So of course they completely cocked everything up so much it destroyed our account.
    The lady I spoke to Wednesday, instead of selecting June 1st in their drop down menu for the move, just set it up for Wednesday and then in the notes put "Transfer June 1st". Thats not how it works, obviously. So today our internet went out. I called them, thinking this would be an easy fix. The lady in tech support wasn't very helpful, but after about 15 minutes of messing with stuff she figured out the issue was that the lady I spoke to Wednesday messed up the move date and our service was already moved to the new address. So she had me on hold for about a half hour and eventually transferred me to a guy named Leon (I'm posting the name here so I have it on hand in case I need it later and forget), Leon said that everything was so "royally screwed" that the best thing to do was to completely delete our account and start from scratch.

Now I've had to work with Comcast before, when I was with Verizon, and I have a few friends who have worked for them in the past, so I know one thing about Comcast above all else: Every Department is Sales. Everyone from tech support to customer service gets their performance based on sales in some way. So I was pretty sure Leon over here just wanted to make a "sale" so by deleting our account, it would look like he signed up a new customer. Except...theres a snag. We just had basic TV+HBO with 100 MB/s internet speed. We liked that, it was only $60 a month for that, and it worked well for us...but that deal no longer existed, oh and even though we signed a contract for that deal, since our account had been deleted, Comcast was no longer required to adhere to said contract. Leon could get us the internet we like with Cinemax, or HBO with 50 MB/s internet speed. That was unacceptable to me. So we were on hold for another 20 minutes while him and his supervisor worked it out. At this point its been about an hour and a half.

So finally here was the deal we got, For now he would set us up with the Blast internet (he says it was what we had but since he has physically deleted our previous account I can't check, not even our past bills), free Cinemax and Showtime, and tomorrow hes suppose to call us back with a rep from the customer retention department and get us set up with our HBO. Of course now we have other issues, they won't let my fiancee set up a new user name/password because her phone number is already associated with a Comcast account, the website says our new customer ID number doesn't exist, and the email we got said their upgrading us to an HD X1 box, which is an extra $15 a month, that we told them, repeatedly, we didn't want.

So yeah, hopefully we get this worked out tomorrow. But really? I shouldn't have to play phone tag for 2 hours to fix their screw up and it cheeses me off when I have to deal with this crap.

See if that happened here, the advice would be to politely require them to restore the service you had previously on the same contract etc, and refusal would be escalated to the telecommunications ombudsman, which would cost them money until they resolved the situation adequately. The fact is, you're in the right to demand your previous service and contract be restored, but actually getting that happening I guess would be a chore.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Who's super cool and spends her Friday nights polishing vintage brass so she can have some cool gold wall decor!?!1?11 THIS GALLLLLL

j9l38tjmey4e.jpg
    z6jn0d5jxbc9.jpg

before shot:
    1zhxooi79a3e.png

Hard to show here but it's SOOOOO SHINYYY and all the corrosion is gone. Used Bar-Keeper's Friend to remove some of the surface tarnish and corrosion, moved on to a felt tip with red polishing compound on my Dremel (after trying a few other types of attachments on the back - turns out it didn't need as much as I thought!)...then grabbed the Flitz metal polish paste which is MAGICAL, really gave it a mirror finish...and then ended with the Renaissance microcrystalline wax and buffed it in, which should protect the brass from further tarnish and corrosion. I could've technically used a rougher polish to remove some of the really small scratches, but I didn't want to risk smoothing the engraving at all.

FEEL SO ACCOMPLISHED

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Hopefully he actually calls us back tomorrow morning like he said he would and we can get this straightened out the rest of the way. It does scare me a bit that since he deleted our previous account for some reason (again I suspect to get a sale out of it) we can't see any of our previous bills, contracts, or payments to compare to the new service

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular

When I was a wee lad of...around 23, our cable would go down on a regular basis and every single time we called to report the outage, they would try to sell us phone service at LEAST 3 times. The first person would try it, then the second would do the same, etc. They spent far more time trying to push that than they ever did trying to fix anything. Now, I'm no marketing expert, but it seems like "everything but my phone is down" isn't the best time to try to sell you something that would then also be down in this exact situation. And it wasn't a rare thing. Every time it even so much as sprinkled, it would be down for hours. They once sold us a sports package, assuring us that we were not in the blackout region for our team. Unsurprisingly, we were unable to watch due to blackout restrictions.

The only people who ever spent any noticeable time trying to do anything other than sell us something were the on-site techs. Which there were many of, and the problem was never on our end.

So yeah Comcast is the worst.

• Options
    Who's super cool and spends her Friday nights polishing vintage brass so she can have some cool gold wall decor!?!1?11 THIS GALLLLLL

j9l38tjmey4e.jpg
    z6jn0d5jxbc9.jpg

before shot:
    1zhxooi79a3e.png

Hard to show here but it's SOOOOO SHINYYY and all the corrosion is gone. Used Bar-Keeper's Friend to remove some of the surface tarnish and corrosion, moved on to a felt tip with red polishing compound on my Dremel (after trying a few other types of attachments on the back - turns out it didn't need as much as I thought!)...then grabbed the Flitz metal polish paste which is MAGICAL, really gave it a mirror finish...and then ended with the Renaissance microcrystalline wax and buffed it in, which should protect the brass from further tarnish and corrosion. I could've technically used a rougher polish to remove some of the really small scratches, but I didn't want to risk smoothing the engraving at all.

FEEL SO ACCOMPLISHED
    Some of those circles aren't aligned with the rest

This discussion has been closed.