As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Yeah. On the one hand I see the point, because it's one of the better views in the house and it would serve the dining area as well as the kitchen to allow a bit of a view of the hills from where you eat and cook.

But then you'd probably have to clean it all the time, putting in a range hood would be complicated at least, and you'd compromise the amount of wall storage you could put into a kitchen which is already on the small side. Curtains would be an issue too; I can't really imagine having any configuration that wouldn't result in a fire risk, which might bother me when the windows radiate cold in the winter.

I've discussed this with Amy w/r/t one day eventually doing up our kitchen - I thought that knocking out a window behind the cooktop and having a clear glass splashback over it would be cool, it would give us a view into the back yard from the kitchen and let more light in, and be easy as pie to keep clean. That wall is currently painted brick (it used to be exposed brick, yay 1977), and we'd gyprock it or whatever and paint it a pretty colour before putting up the clear splashback all the way along that side. We'd also put in a rangehood over the cooktop built into a set of cupboards along the wall, above the splashback.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Holy cow ND, where did you get that??

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Clearly the NBC store has more than just shirts and mugs.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Clearly the NBC store has more than just shirts and mugs.

It's where people get the idea there is stuff in the back they do want or are looking for

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Damn basement is leaking =/

Walls feel dry, so I'm basically going to have to empty it to figure out what's going on.

It's supposed to rain for the next 10 days ....

Aaaaaaannnd it's flooded

and 5 solid days of rain in the forecast....

Were you at least able to identify the leak via the water coming in?

In a way

It's ages old undampproofed unfilled CMU. The ground is so saturated that it's seeping through the blocks.

Once everything is 100 percent dry, I'm going to scrub everything down and spray seal it. I'm also building raised shelves on casters in case that doesn't work

Be careful, as just doing the inside means the water will sit in the mortar and rest of the foundation, shortening the foundation life. Sadly the best route is to trench around the house, seal from the outside and build better drainage.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Holy cow ND, where did you get that??

Etsy! :) I've been perusing it for some cool brass things, there's a bunch of vintage brass out there for a pretty great price! This one caught my eye since it was so unique and had that peacock design, which I thought was pretty dang neato.

[edit] it was only $20!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    We got our final revised plans for planning submission back from the architect. We had a few thoughts - minor changes that didn't really change the overall plan - and he incorporated fairly promptly.

The only thing I'm vaguely uncertain about is he has a window in front of the cooktop in the kitchen. He assures me it's something they do reasonably often, but I've never really seen a cooktop without a splashback before. I've been looking on houzz but it still seems a bit of an odd thing so I'm not really sure of how I feel about it.

I don't know about building regs over there but here in the UK there's a minimum distance that a gas hob has to be from a window. My parents once had their kitchen condemned by an overzealous gas engineer because the hob was less than 300mm from the kitchen window

You'd think it would be preferred for getting smoke / steam out but no.

In other news a spray bottle filled with heavily concentrated fairy liquid and 3 hours of scrubbing got most of the soot out of the stairs carpet. Yay

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Damn basement is leaking =/

Walls feel dry, so I'm basically going to have to empty it to figure out what's going on.

It's supposed to rain for the next 10 days ....

Aaaaaaannnd it's flooded

and 5 solid days of rain in the forecast....

Were you at least able to identify the leak via the water coming in?

In a way

It's ages old undampproofed unfilled CMU. The ground is so saturated that it's seeping through the blocks.

Once everything is 100 percent dry, I'm going to scrub everything down and spray seal it. I'm also building raised shelves on casters in case that doesn't work

Be careful, as just doing the inside means the water will sit in the mortar and rest of the foundation, shortening the foundation life. Sadly the best route is to trench around the house, seal from the outside and build better drainage.

That ain't happening lol

Guess the shelves will have to do!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, Bucketman.

That story makes me so very angry.

Moving internet and phone for people is literally my only job. It is what I spend 32 hours a week doing.

I've moved services early before. Either because I wasn't given the target date, or I just missed it while in the zone.

But it's fixable. A pain in the ass and embarrassing as hell. But fixable.

But to delete your account. To remove access to your previous information. To refuse any retention of old plans.

I am livid.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I am so very upset for you.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, Bucketman.

Moving internet and phone for people is literally my only job. It is what I spend 32 hours a week doing.

I've moved services early before. Either because I wasn't given the target date, or I just missed it while in the zone.

But to delete your account. To remove access to your previous information. To refuse any retention of old plans.

I am livid.

Salespeople are the bane of telecom.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Well the epilogue is that today they called, we got it all straightened out and now we have an $80 bill credit, and they added Cinemax and Showtime as well as HBO to our package.

So we have basic cable, 100 MB/s internet, and 3 premium channels for $54.99 a month.

It was a pain in the ass, but I'll take the free stuff

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2018
    US telco is the biggest rort I've ever encountered

tynic on
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Holy shit, Bucketman.

I am livid.

Salespeople are the bane of everyone

Fixed that for you.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Holy shit, Bucketman.

I am livid.

Fixed that for you.

C'mon, we've covered this before - there are people in this very thread who work in sales and by all accounts are lovely folks. Sales can attract sociopaths because sales can reward terrible behaviour, but that doesn't mean they're all bad.

I'm sure we wouldn't be all "doctors are overprescribing opioid painkillers and it's having a terrible effect on American society so now let's just say all doctors are crack dealers..."

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea I wouldn't even blame the sales folks on this one. the directive to push these services constantly is a decision of C level management trying to maximize profit.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    When the only thing that matters is the sales numbers, you get that behaviour from people cos the decent folk don't last long enough to make a difference.

• Options
    Holy shit, Bucketman.

I am livid.

Fixed that for you.

C'mon, we've covered this before - there are people in this very thread who work in sales and by all accounts are lovely folks. Sales can attract sociopaths because sales can reward terrible behaviour, but that doesn't mean they're all bad.

I'm sure we wouldn't be all "doctors are overprescribing opioid painkillers and it's having a terrible effect on American society so now let's just say all doctors are crack dealers..."

There are always exceptions, but the sales field rewards a lot of shitty behavior at the expense of everyone else in the organization both effort wise and financially.
    Some of my best friends are salespeople, but it doesn't change that the whole process sucks and wouldn't be necessary if we had better ways to share and leverage information to find products.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I just stocked up on some bug spray and DM earth and went to town on my windowsill in my room.

100 stinkbugs.

50% dead, 50% alive

3 wasps/hornets struggling with their own mortality and succumbing to my wasp spray.

But now I've got my window wide open to air out the winter farts. I wish the landlord would put a screen in, these windows have some weird ass 1970s screen contraption that I think is almost impossible to fix/source new screens for and I doubt they'll ever replace it.

I think I'm just going to buy a house this year and if I get a job somewhere else I'll sell it. Anything's better than renting at this point, even if I Take a loss on a house.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    @SporkAndrew that window is beautiful and it was well worth retaining the stained glass!

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    @SporkAndrew that window is beautiful and it was well worth retaining the stained glass!

It adds so much character back to the hallway it's untrue. Whilst we had the temporary glass in there'd just be this boring grey light filtering down and then they're be this big expanse of nothing looking at you as you went up the stairs. Now from the moment you walk in there's colour on the walls.

It's cheered our neighbour up no end, too. She texted me a picture of what the window looks like at night when it's lit up from within with just a bunch of thumbs up and heart emojiis.

Now we're finally ready for winter and fully double glazed!

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Comcast Update: He never called us back, we still don't have HBO on our system, and we were not set up for our move on June 1st. So now I get to start all over tomorrow.

• Options
    Well this is nice
    I sadly have to replace the drain and faucet of the kitchen sink
    Just having a bike to get around will make this difficult. I could order it online and deliver it to the house but I just don't know.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Well this is nice
    Just having a bike to get around will make this difficult. I could order it online and deliver it to the house but I just don't know.

You got a backpack? A u-bend and a faucet should fit and keep your hands free for riding.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Well this is nice

You got a backpack? A u-bend and a faucet should fit and keep your hands free for riding.

Yes just I feel I need to replace the sink as well since it's getting old and doesn't look that great anymore {the back of it is the worst part}

• Options
    Ah yes, hmm. If it's just a stamped stainless steel sink you can probably just scrub it shiny again with some stainless steel wool, but if it's plastic and stained or ceramic and chipped your options are limited. You can get special heavy-duty paint for plastic sinks. Ceramic is much higher to fix.

• Options
    Think our front deck may have a carpenter ant infestation. Which is more my landlord's problem than mine, but ugh I don't want to deal with the disruption.

Maybe I'll just coexist peacefully with them. I've lived with far worse and more pervasive insects. Hell, I've lived in Sydney. Or that time our house was colonised by millipedes. Or the one with the slug invasion.
    Ants ain't nothing.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Buy one of those big giant 50 lb bags of diatomaceous earth and open it and just spin around the deck, while wearing a face mask.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I actually have a pack of that, I put it around all the windowsills and entrances. Problem is it's an ancient house with holes in the floorboards you can shout through, so I suspect they're finding their own byways. And while it's a deterrent, I dunno if it would dislodge a nest.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Shrink yourself down and prepare for battle.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I maybe should've measured the loft hatch when I was measuring every inch of the loft.

I've just had 24 sheets of Jablite insulation board and 5 rolls of SuperQuilt delivered ready for when I get some time to get the roof insulated. The rolls went up fine as they only weigh about 7kg each and at 1200 long can just be man-handled up a ladder.

I thought I was being smart with the Jablite, though, and bought the 2400 x 1200 sheets so I can cut them to size and get coverage for the space between 8 rafters per sheet.

Except the loft hatch is 1100 long.

Sigh.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

... and / or ant-fighting robot.

You know you want to.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

You know you want to.

... shit now you mention it I might already have one ready to go

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

You know you want to.

I love this forum.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Thus far my Meyer lemon tree has only produced 2 actual lemons. One disappeared while still very small. I had hopes for the second one, but today found it on the ground, probably due to wind.

skfnKxy.png

There are still more blooms so maybe I'll get more later this year, but I'm not confident.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

You know you want to.

Time to start up your robot ant fighting league.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Thus far my Meyer lemon tree has only produced 2 actual lemons. One disappeared while still very small. I had hopes for the second one, but today found it on the ground, probably due to wind.

skfnKxy.png

There are still more blooms so maybe I'll get more later this year, but I'm not confident.

Looks like your tree is a... Lemon.

• Options
    I hate ladders. I hate heights. This was a bad idea

o07gZFvl.jpg

I was physically sweating and shaking by the time I got the final bracket for the new curtain track screwed into place

SFinfPJl.jpg

A few hours later and the on-sale enormous curtains are finally ironed and hung

7GFTaNIl.jpg

And then with the requisite tie-off things because we paid all that money for that window, damnit, you're going to look at it every time you go up the stairs.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular

skfnKxy.png

Well, when life gives...you....lemons......

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Blake T wrote: »

You know you want to.

Time to start up your robot ant fighting league.

I would be down for this as I would like to see a robot fighting league that doesn't have ramps and wedge bots
    That's not creative

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I'm hosting a housewarming party on sunday against my will (even though I've been living at my new house for seven weeks already) and I have no idea how to host a big group. The most I've ever had over at one time in my old place was five or six friends. This will be an unknown number of people, a mix of friends, family, and coworkers, and there's nowhere for anyone to park. I hate it.

I might get a toaster though.

This discussion has been closed.